Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OL recruiting

Started by RebelW, October 22, 2015, 08:00:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

We've had other positions to manage also. Hard to say that we should have signed more. Pruitt is the only whiff, an academic risk that we were willing take because he represented great talent.

As best I can tell they really like the 2015 class a lot. Koehler and McClure are the only ones that might not qualify as big "hits". Koehler still has a shot at doing something before he is done.

Boyd was dressed out Saturday and hanging with the backup OL. Might be moved back over for travel roster purposes (ie, try to maintain some RS if we have an emergency).

Gibson definitely counts in your depth chart. He is a clear "hit" even though just a walkon.

Pittman has very exacting standards for what he wants. He tends to deliver the goods. While they would have loved Weathersby last year we might not have opened a scholarship for Reed if we would have landed Weathersby. Hard to say, as we generally conclude the final scholie (now in the hands of Ricky Town) was reserved for KJ Hill.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

onebadrubi

Okla hawg, Bielema said in pressers after signing day that WR schollie was for reed all along so long as he could get into school and we know for sure westhersby had a scholarship.  So from that we can infer many things but I say KJ was on the outside looking in after his decommitment.

Also, Boyd was in on field goals and extra points on the Oline blocking.

swinesation

Doesn't it seem obvious that if Brian Wallace was as good as advertised he would at least be getting some playing time? Last year Ragnow alternated with Smothers as a true freshman. This is Wallace's second year. Has he ever seen the field? Those who watch practices, how does he look? Something doesn't add up.

PorkRinds

Quote from: swinesation on October 26, 2015, 11:53:41 pm
Doesn't it seem obvious that if Brian Wallace was as good as advertised he would at least be getting some playing time? Last year Ragnow alternated with Smothers as a true freshman. This is Wallace's second year. Has he ever seen the field? Those who watch practices, how does he look? Something doesn't add up.

Not necessarily. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: RebelW on October 22, 2015, 08:00:32 pm
Anybody seen anything on any O Lineman that are high on Us? Having 1 OG verbally committed is starting to worry me
I, for one, am terrified about the future of our OL.  Obviously these two fools have no clue as to what it takes to build a line
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Styflin

He has been getting playing time.

Styflin

Anything less than 13 scholarship lineman is asking for trouble. As Wildhog has pointed out, we will have 8 come spring. We need 5 just to get to the bare minimum. Hopefully we sign 5 and a couple can participate in the spring.

The ideal number for scholarship lineman is around 16. Considering some real talent issues on defense and some other areas it's going to be tough to get to that number the next couple years. However, possibly rolling with 8 dudes in the spring is playing with fire.

Only having one OL committed at this point is a legitimate concern.

Wildhog

I'll trust Pittman's opinion on our depth.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on October 27, 2015, 09:33:19 am

But, most on here won't even acknowledge what we keep trying to tell them.  He's been saying for awhile we are too thin. 

I see us reaching for a 4th come late recruiting season.  If we sign 5 I think it's because some huge swing and misses elsewhere and some OL falls in our lap.  That being said, I wish we would could 5 right now of the skipper, ragnow, kirkland, wallace type. 

Disclaimer: Something I have been giving BB a lot of credit for since he got here is that when the classes are all done and signed, you go back over and he hits every position very well.  In our SEC days we have not seen a coach do as good of a job at each positon every year as him.  That being said I don't see this year being any different.  He just really needs a few classes to stay together through their junior and senior year and keep the classes rolling in like last year and all will work out.  Nothing more would kill our progress right now more than a BP type signing class disaster like BP had with that 10 or 11 class (can't remember which one ended up having like 8 kids play)

ricepig

Well, he's the one offering, so??

PorkRinds

Is anyone arguing that our OL depth is ok? 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:45:42 am

I can't tell sometimes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:45:42 am

Nope, but with 85 schollies, you can't have 16 OL, 16 DL, 16 WR, 16 QB, 16 kickers.........you get the picture???

PorkRinds

I'll tell you this.  I appreciate CBB's loyalty to his players, and that he isn't usually going to push a kid out the door unless there's a discipline issue.  But it's not helping our depth and roster.  Some of the guys that haven't done anything would be out the door already if they were on a different team with a different coach.   Even though he's had a pretty low miss rate, there have been a few and most of them are still taking up room that could be filled with new players that may provide more depth or valuable minutes.  But that's something we've got to get used to with him.  He's not one to push a kid out unless he's screwing up. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:49:39 am
I'll tell you this.  I appreciate CBB's loyalty to his players, and that he isn't usually going to push a kid out the door unless there's a discipline issue.  But it's not helping our depth and roster.  Some of the guys that haven't done anything would be out the door already if they were on a different team with a different coach.   Even though he's had a pretty low miss rate, there have been a few and most of them are still taking up room that could be filled with new players that may provide more depth or valuable minutes.  But that's something we've got to get used to with him.  He's not one to push a kid out unless he's screwing up. 

Agree 1000%. Was just talking about this with a co-worker this morning.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on October 27, 2015, 10:51:19 am

I like it and loathe it at the same time.  He's no Butch Jones, that's for sure.  That dude signs 30+ just so he CAN push a few out the door.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 27, 2015, 10:51:19 am

I can't find fault with his practice, I find it reassuring actually.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:49:39 am

You may very well be right, but I think by the time a kid graduates, BB's miss rate is extremely small.  Something I don't think anyone can argue with BB is that he can get some very good senior years out of players that might not be much the first three.  That being said though I think his loyalty will also cause some of what youa re saying.

A few that come to mind real quick;
Tevin Mitchell
Spaight
Brey Cook
Smothers
Hodge
Loewen

I think these types of players are just going to be a part of our program that will pay great dividends, it just takes time.

And sadly, I do think some here just think since we have pittman and Bielema we have no worry at all about the OL.  I say at this very point it is a point of concern until we lock up some more visits and interest.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2015, 10:56:36 am
You may very well be right, but I think by the time a kid graduates, BB's miss rate is extremely small.  Something I don't think anyone can argue with BB is that he can get some very good senior years out of players that might not be much the first three.  That being said though I think his loyalty will also cause some of what youa re saying.

A few that come to mind real quick;
Tevin Mitchell
Spaight
Brey Cook
Smothers
Hodge
Loewen

I think these types of players are just going to be a part of our program that will pay great dividends, it just takes time.

And sadly, I do think some here just think since we have pittman and Bielema we have no worry at all about the OL.  I say at this very point it is a point of concern until we lock up some more visits and interest.

Oh I definitely agree.  He ends up getting minutes out of upper classmen.  I'm actually hoping Koehler will, at some point, contribute some minutes.  And like I said, I like his loyalty.  But I can also see where it doesn't help in some ways as well.  But I don't think he should stop, I just think we need to get used to it.  But that, coupled with the holes that were left by previous staffs, are making us all pretty nervous.  There are just so many holes that need to be filled, and we don't even have enough schollys to sign a full class. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:53:50 am
I like it and loathe it at the same time.  He's no Butch Jones, that's for sure.  That dude signs 30+ just so he CAN push a few out the door.

Again, I agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RebelW

I might just be thinking to much into it, but seeing how deep we are at the DL, and need more speed at the DL, I've been watching  Austin Capps play at Star city that plays OL and DL.. He has like 6-8 pancake blocks a game on offense.. I think he will be playing on our OL IMO

Oklahawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 26, 2015, 11:08:52 pm
Okla hawg, Bielema said in pressers after signing day that WR schollie was for reed all along so long as he could get into school and we know for sure westhersby had a scholarship.  So from that we can infer many things but I say KJ was on the outside looking in after his decommitment.

Also, Boyd was in on field goals and extra points on the Oline blocking.

Thanks! I did see Boyd this week vs TNM on placement team. CBB does a good job of getting some guys on the field with special teams. He did that with Beck last year.

The whole 25th scholie thingy from the last couple of years remains an enigma. We are told something but we all give each other a knowing glance.

CBB alluded to as many as 5 OL in this class. Tells me how the class finishes! Bet we wind up at 4 OL this class, and they plan on keeping Kirkland for year #4.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Styflin on October 23, 2015, 08:25:25 pm
This is a tired line. We haven't signed enough in the last 3 classes. We only have 1 committed at the moment (and he is hurt). That is very concerning. We need to sign at least 5 OL in this class. That isn't looking very likely.

What's tiring is posts like your stating that Arkansas needs to sign at least 5 OL in this class. If the coaches think they need five they will sign five.  If not, they won't.   

IronHog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 26, 2015, 09:42:51 am
Petrino's last class (2012) we signed TWO OL.  Ward (injured and moved to DT at one point) and Cordale Boyd (no idea where he is now.) 

2011 we signed 6, only Smothers and Cook played significant snaps.  Stringer played some, the rest never saw the field. 
2010: Charpentier and Cam Feldt.  Count Simek if you want, but he was listed as a TE. 

That is still our biggest issue.

Nobody from the first class you list would still be on the team.

Smothers was redshirted late by previous staff.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 03, 2015, 08:29:01 pm
What's tiring is posts like your stating that Arkansas needs to sign at least 5 OL in this class. If the coaches think they need five they will sign five.  If not, they won't.   

Even if they think they need 5, I doubt they sign 5 just for the sake of it. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

scruf

The competition at right guard and right tackle are not the same competition. Wallace would need to beat out Skipper to get on the field. Who did Ragnow beat out at RG?

scruf

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 10:53:50 am
Seems to be working.

lasthog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2015, 11:02:01 am
Oh I definitely agree.  He ends up getting minutes out of upper classmen.  I'm actually hoping Koehler will, at some point, contribute some minutes.  And like I said, I like his loyalty.  But I can also see where it doesn't help in some ways as well.  But I don't think he should stop, I just think we need to get used to it.  But that, coupled with the holes that were left by previous staffs, are making us all pretty nervous.  There are just so many holes that need to be filled, and we don't even have enough schollys to sign a full class.

Koehler. The enigmatic Hawaiian. You mention you are hoping to see him get some minutes at some time, guess we all do. Would you say confidence is high on this, or just generally believe it is reasonable? I'm solidly with you in hoping he gets to some level of contribution.

I know this has been discussed before, but does anyone have a good read on this young man?  I appreciate his coming to our great state, and based on the fact that we never hear of any discipline being meted out to him, he must have some very good qualities and be a fine person.

So is he impossibly slow afoot? Based on his numbers it would seem unlikely that he doesn't have the strength to play on the OL.

Anyway, like you I would like to see the big dude make his mark.

PorkRinds

Quote from: lasthog on November 04, 2015, 03:52:50 am

Koehler. The enigmatic Hawaiian. You mention you are hoping to see him get some minutes at some time, guess we all do. Would you say confidence is high on this, or just generally believe it is reasonable? I'm solidly with you in hoping he gets to some level of contribution.

I know this has been discussed before, but does anyone have a good read on this young man?  I appreciate his coming to our great state, and based on the fact that we never hear of any discipline being meted out to him, he must have some very good qualities and be a fine person.

So is he impossibly slow afoot? Based on his numbers it would seem unlikely that he doesn't have the strength to play on the OL.

Anyway, like you I would like to see the big dude make his mark.

From what I understand he was injured early, and got REALLY out of shape.  Hasn't been able to get back to playing shape and got behind. 

Styflin

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 03, 2015, 08:29:01 pm

FYI coach has already said we need 5. As a matter of fact, Pittman has commented on it several times since he has been here. Try to keep up.

ricepig

Quote from: Styflin on November 05, 2015, 04:39:48 pm
FYI coach has already said we need 5. As a matter of fact, Pittman has commented on it several times since he has been here. Try to keep up.

Bielema also said in his PC Monday that we would sign 4.

IronHog

Quote from: RebelW on November 03, 2015, 07:06:37 pm
I might just be thinking to much into it, but seeing how deep we are at the DL, and need more speed at the DL, I've been watching  Austin Capps play at Star city that plays OL and DL.. He has like 6-8 pancake blocks a game on offense.. I think he will be playing on our OL IMO

He can plow the road.

Styflin

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2015, 05:40:40 pm
Bielema also said in his PC Monday that we would sign 4.

Yes he did. He has stated in the past that he will not sign OL just to sign them. He looks for specific things. He also said he Pittman have gone round and round in regards to numbers. We aren't on enough lineman to sign the 5 we need. At least not from what I have seen.

ricepig

Quote from: Styflin on November 05, 2015, 06:02:07 pm
Yes he did. He has stated in the past that he will not sign OL just to sign them. He looks for specific things. He also said he Pittman have gone round and round in regards to numbers. We aren't on enough lineman to sign the 5 we need. At least not from what I have seen.

I agree, I think they have certain targets and if those guys don't sign, they don't really go to plan B or C guys. I think we'd have to hit on every one we're on to have a chance for 5, not likely at all.

nwahogfan1

Good to have Blind faith. 

rjm1940

Thanks guys for the comments on Koehler.

I was excited when he signed.  I was under the impression he was thought to be better than Kirkland and Skipper.  I hoped he would become an All American and open a new recruiting area to the Hogs.  I liked what I read about him.

I understood he was injured as a Freshman.  I hope he wants to be a star, gets in shape, and contributes.  He still has time, but he needs to move forward now.  I am disappointed he is not in the two deep.  I have been wondering why he is not in the two deep.

WaltonCollege

other than the two Jucos Garrett Bolles and Dwayne Wallace are there any other big name linemen interested in us? I was reading somewhere we lead for Wallace so that's awesome if true. I tweeted a Woo Pig to him last week and he liked it so that's good. Bolles has many big name suitors but as always we def have a shot if we can get him on campus.  Are there any other linemen that are high on Arkansas? I think there is a silent visitor who Rich can't reveal but not sure.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 05, 2015, 06:35:32 pm
Who should we trust?  The position coach that is revered as one of the best in the country or some anonymous internet guy's opinion?  Hmmmmmm

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hawgwash on October 23, 2015, 10:04:25 pm
Pittman recruited 4 of the 5 starters.
I agree but where are his back ups?  Why are they seeing very little or no playing time?

We are talking about depth here remember.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 05, 2015, 06:35:32 pm

Blind faith?  Hardly?  Trust in someone who has proven results time and again?  Without question.   I'll go with the proven winner every damn time and not some self-loathing, anonymous, message board football "expert" who wouldn't know the difference between zone blocking and a speed zone.   

onebadrubi

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 10, 2015, 08:50:06 pm
I agree but where are his back ups?  Why are they seeing very little or no playing time?

While I agree with your point...

Gibson, Allen, rogers, and wallace are all good backups just young. 

IronHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 10, 2015, 08:50:06 pm

Pretty rare for established OL to be subbed for really.......

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 26, 2015, 10:49:02 pm
We've had other positions to manage also. Hard to say that we should have signed more. Pruitt is the only whiff, an academic risk that we were willing take because he represented great talent.

As best I can tell they really like the 2015 class a lot. Koehler and McClure are the only ones that might not qualify as big "hits". Koehler still has a shot at doing something before he is done.

Boyd was dressed out Saturday and hanging with the backup OL. Might be moved back over for travel roster purposes (ie, try to maintain some RS if we have an emergency).

Gibson definitely counts in your depth chart. He is a clear "hit" even though just a walkon.

Pittman has very exacting standards for what he wants. He tends to deliver the goods. While they would have loved Weathersby last year we might not have opened a scholarship for Reed if we would have landed Weathersby. Hard to say, as we generally conclude the final scholie (now in the hands of Ricky Town) was reserved for KJ Hill.
What I call OLM disappointments are the ones who are not playing any minutes by their third year.   What I call total busts are the OLM who never get in the rotation 3 to 5 years after arriving.  I don't know what Pittman's OLM recruiting percentage of success is when compared to other OL coaches but I would guess it is pretty good.  IMO though if Pittman was hitting it out of the park in recruiting he should not have to be recruiting JUCO OLM to fix a depth or starting issue in his 4th recruiting class. 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 11, 2015, 06:43:20 am
What I call OLM disappointments are the ones who are not playing any minutes by their third year.   What I call total busts are the OLM who never get in the rotation 3 to 5 years after arriving.  I don't know what Pittman's OLM recruiting percentage of success is when compared to other OL coaches but I would guess it is pretty good.  IMO though if Pittman was hitting it out of the park in recruiting he should not have to be recruiting JUCO OLM to fix a depth or starting issue in his 4th recruiting class. 

That's an easy fix.  When you become an offensive line coach at a major college you can show us just proficient you are at signing just the right number of offensive lineman each year to where depth is NEVER and issue.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 11, 2015, 07:31:39 am
That's an easy fix.  When you become an offensive line coach at a major college you can show us just proficient you are at signing just the right number of offensive lineman each year to where depth is NEVER and issue.

So you think Pittman is doing a perfect job?  Are you his agent?  I am just saying when talking about OL depth Pittman could have done better in recruiting.  I give him a B in recruiting but not a A+ like apparently you would give him.

In stead of jumping onto my comments why don't you show me some substance and tell me why you think Pittman is doing a perfect job in recruiting?

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 11, 2015, 07:37:36 am
So you think Pittman is doing a perfect job?  Are you his agent?  I am just saying when talking about OL depth Pittman could have done better in recruiting.  I give him a B in recruiting but not a A+ like apparently you would give him.

In stead of jumping onto my comments why don't you show me some substance and tell me why you think Pittman is doing a perfect job in recruiting?

He's trying to balance the Ragnow class with 2 Juco's, seems smart to me.

onebadrubi

I think a B is fair. We need to pull a Kirkland, ragnow, and skipper type talent in this class. 

ldfergu

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 11, 2015, 08:37:50 am
I think a B is fair. We need to pull a Kirkland, ragnow, and skipper type talent in this class.

We really need Skipper and Kirkland one more year

HOGINTENNESSEE

November 11, 2015, 09:07:52 am #98 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:21:39 am by HOGINTENNESSEE

I used to just think you were a troll.

Now I'm beginning to think you just really are clueless.

Oline had 3 quality players when Pitt arrived. 2 of which played the same position.

So the majority of Pitts first and second classes had to play immediately. Where in a perfect world they would have sat and waited their turn like Zach, Allen, Merrick and Wallace are.

We can only sign so many Oline in 1 recruiting cycle as other positions need attention as well.

You talk about this being his 4th class. But you have to remember he only recruited 2 months for Arkansas in that 1st class It wasn't till the spring he knew that this Oline was lacking so much in talent. If he had more time and a better understanding of the lack of talent in that class I believe we would have signed 1 more olineman that first year.

JaketheSnake

Name ANY coach that does the perfect job at recruiting... 

Bringing in jucos to fill in gaps is how the game is played.  We might have an all-world RS-FR, but if he is not as game-ready as an all-world Juco, then bring in the Juco.  Who has Pittman really missed on?  Koehler?  He is a sophomore.  Who else could be remotely close to a considered miss?  Pruitt?  Okay.

OL is the hardest football position to develop depth.  When we were as bare in depth as a team the last few years, we cannt take all the OL we want/need even if they want to come on board.  We have been taking 3-4 out of necessity, but Pittman would like to take 5.  Actually, Pittman has voiced that, but CBB has the final say and we cannt take as many as he would like.