Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OL recruiting

Started by RebelW, October 22, 2015, 08:00:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 11, 2015, 09:07:52 am
I used to just think you were a troll.

Now I'm beginning to think you just really are clueless.

Oline had 3 quality players when Pitt arrived. 2 of which played the same position.

So the majority of Pitts first and second classes had to play immediately. Where in a perfect world they would have sat and waited their turn like Zach, Allen, Merrick and Wallace are.

We can only sign so many Oline in 1 recruiting cycle as other positions need attention as well.

You talk about this being his 4th class. But you have to remember he only recruited 2 months for Arkansas in that 1st class It wasn't till the spring he knew that this Oline was lacking so much in talent. If he had more time and a better understanding of the lack of talent in that class I believe we would have signed 1 more olineman that year.

Crap!  I completely forgot to include Merrick in my earlier post! 

People should NOT forget his recruiting story when they discuss recruiting to Fayetteville.  He was pulled away from Florida st coming right off a National Title, LSU, FLorida with a new coach that showed great promise, a Bama offer, a Wisconsin offer, and just about any other offer he wanted.  He silent commited to U of A and then didn't release the news until he was already in his car on the way out of state. 

Keep that story in mind when a recruit is in another state that might create issues for him if he were to early commit out of state.  You just  know this staff is going to pull a couple to three very talented O linemen, we are just hoping to find that 4th and 5th one to push over the depth brink.

onebadrubi

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 11, 2015, 10:02:40 am
Name ANY coach that does the perfect job at recruiting... 

Bringing in jucos to fill in gaps is how the game is played.  We might have an all-world RS-FR, but if he is not as game-ready as an all-world Juco, then bring in the Juco.  Who has Pittman really missed on?  Koehler?  He is a sophomore.  Who else could be remotely close to a considered miss?  Pruitt?  Okay.

OL is the hardest football position to develop depth.  When we were as bare in depth as a team the last few years, we cannt take all the OL we want/need even if they want to come on board.  We have been taking 3-4 out of necessity, but Pittman would like to take 5.  Actually, Pittman has voiced that, but CBB has the final say and we cannt take as many as he would like.

There are good juco OL out there that can come in and help out immediately every year.  Look at cameron jefferson and tretola.  Tretola is a great Juco story and we should expect to pull a tretola under Bielema probably every 2-3 years.  Jefferson is another option that is out there every year or 2.  A good quality division player that is transferring with that one year left.  A juco Olineman is not anything like a jUco any other position. 

And Jake, I think Bielema and Pittman both was 5 a year, but I don't think they are going to take flyers on that 4th or 5th spot just to have the warm body.  We would have taken 5 last year if they houston kid would have came.  I expect we will take 5 this year if they are of the quality and liking of the staff.

hawgmasta

I'm feeling pretty good about getting at least one of the two JUCO's were on.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 11, 2015, 08:39:22 am
We really need Skipper and Kirkland one more year
I think so too. Not just for the teams sake, for their sake.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: SamBuckhart on November 11, 2015, 11:05:35 am
I think so too. Not just for the teams sake, for their sake.

I want a first round talent offensive tackle in this class.  I'd settle for a second round lock.  But I think we are ok in the guard spot actually if we don't have to pull the guard prospects to play tackle.  An outlier to this is getting the kid from TX that didn't qualify to come after JUCO, Pruitt?, and Colton Jackson becoming a good OT for us. 

Hoggish1

With Pittman you never have to worry about the O-line.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 11, 2015, 07:37:36 am
So you think Pittman is doing a perfect job?  Are you his agent?  I am just saying when talking about OL depth Pittman could have done better in recruiting.  I give him a B in recruiting but not a A+ like apparently you would give him.

In stead of jumping onto my comments why don't you show me some substance and tell me why you think Pittman is doing a perfect job in recruiting?

Nowhere in my statement did I proclaim Pittman is doing a "perfect" job in recruiting so how in the hell do I even start to respond to such crap? And, I challenge you to list just one college coach who you think does. Pittman is arguably the best OL coach Arkansas has ever had yet people like you want to take shots at him at every opportunity.  You and those like you really are a pathetic lot. 

You want substance, try the excerpt below from his bio on the University of Arkansas web site and then recap your experience so we call all decide who we should put our faith and trust in, yours or Pittman's. 

Since 2013, eight offensive linemen coached by Pittman have been drafted, including two first-round picks. In 2014, Ja'Wuan James was selected 19th overall by the Miami Dolphins and Travis Swanson became the highest Razorback center draft pick in school history when he was picked 76th overall by the Detroit Lions. In 2013, Jonathan Cooper, who was tutored by Pittman for four seasons at North Carolina, was the seventh overall pick to the Arizona Cardinals, the earliest an offensive guard had been taken since 1986.