Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OL recruiting

Started by RebelW, October 22, 2015, 08:00:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

Anybody seen anything on any O Lineman that are high on Us? Having 1 OG verbally committed is starting to worry me

ricepig

I think they feel like they'll get at least 1 JUCO linemen,

The Recruiting Guy

Dwayne Wallace and Garett Bolles.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Turminator

Do not acknowledge the elephant in the room. we are building the right way inside out.

Scott7703

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 22, 2015, 08:52:20 pm
Any HS options?

I've heard elsewhere that Pittman feels very confident about one highly rated lineman whose name isn't known at this time. No clue who but just sharing what I've heard.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 22, 2015, 10:31:40 pm
I've heard elsewhere that Pittman feels very confident about one highly rated lineman whose name isn't known at this time. No clue who but just sharing what I've heard.

He's the kid I mentioned awhile back fans would really be pleased to hear about.

Scott7703

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 22, 2015, 10:53:41 pm
He's the kid I mentioned awhile back fans would really be pleased to hear about.

At what point do you feel the name comes out? When he visits?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Turminator on October 22, 2015, 10:10:53 pm
Do not acknowledge the elephant in the room. we are building the right way inside out.
The elephant stating it is October and we don't sign kids until February? 

Huds_HawgTide

Willie allen maybe...think he is twitter buddies at least with devin white...that would be a hell of a LA haul
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Wildhog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on October 23, 2015, 10:46:25 am
Willie allen maybe...think he is twitter buddies at least with devin white...that would be a hell of a LA haul

This is who I was thinking.  Nothing but speculation, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jackflash

with Pittman recruiting for Arkansas I don't worry about offensive line recruiting he  will get someone

Wildhog

Quote from: jackflash on October 23, 2015, 10:49:56 am
with Pittman recruiting for Arkansas I don't worry about offensive line recruiting he  will get someone

We'll see. We need three more OL in this class, at bare minimum.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Styflin

This is a tired line. We haven't signed enough in the last 3 classes. We only have 1 committed at the moment (and he is hurt). That is very concerning. We need to sign at least 5 OL in this class. That isn't looking very likely.

King Kong

Quote from: Styflin on October 23, 2015, 08:25:25 pm
This is a tired line. We haven't signed enough in the last 3 classes. We only have 1 committed at the moment (and he is hurt). That is very concerning. We need to sign at least 5 OL in this class. That isn't looking very likely.

Quantity takes time. Pittman's quality has been very good. The main issues for Depth really fall on the previous staff.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on October 23, 2015, 08:28:31 pm
Quantity takes time. Pittman's quality has been very good. The main issues for Depth really fall on the previous staff.

If we have only Tretola who has a slight chance of being a SEC OLM this year, I have a question?  Where is all of the depth on the OL who were recruited by Pittman?  I llike this OL but it is not made up of all SEC 1st team talent so shouldn't we have some kids who were recruited by Pittman maybe battling it out with starters for playing time?  Just wondering.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Styflin on October 23, 2015, 08:25:25 pm
I agree they look tired at times especially on those long drives but Pittman has signed at least 10 OLM so where is the depth?

870hogfan

This

hawgwash

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 23, 2015, 09:51:41 pm
If we have only Tretola who has a slight chance of being a SEC OLM this year, I have a question?  Where is all of the depth on the OL who were recruited by Pittman?  I llike this OL but it is not made up of all SEC 1st team talent so shouldn't we have some kids who were recruited by Pittman maybe battling it out with starters for playing time?  Just wondering.
Pittman recruited 4 of the 5 starters.

King Kong

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 23, 2015, 09:53:04 pm
I agree they look tired at times especially on those long drives but Pittman has signed at least 10 OLM so where is the depth?

Half of those are still freshman. Even 4 stars take time to develop.

The real question is why was there were only 3 quality olineman when Pittman got on campus? Causing us to play Ragnow, Skipper and Kirkland immediately and not redshirt them like most other stable SEC teams.

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on October 23, 2015, 10:22:43 pm

The real question is why was there were only 3 quality olineman when Pittman got on campus? Causing us to play Smoother, Skipper and Kirkland immediately and not redshirt them like most other stable SEC teams.

I assume you mean Ragnow?? Smothers was a Petrino recruit, who I believe, started as a true freshman, then later redshirted.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2015, 10:28:02 pm
I assume you mean Ragnow?? Smothers was a Petrino recruit, who I believe, started as a true freshman, then later redshirted.

Totally meant Ragnow.

Sorry I had Smoothers on the brain because he was 1 of the 3 that were actually worth anything.

secneahog

We still have some guys that will push for playing time.  I know Wallace is a stud.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

nwahogfan1

October 26, 2015, 08:03:28 am #23 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:38:25 am by nwahogfan1
Quote from: King Kong on October 23, 2015, 10:22:43 pm

The real question is why was there were only 3 quality olineman when Pittman got on campus? Causing us to play Ragnow, Skipper and Kirkland immediately and not redshirt them like most other stable SEC teams.
Pittman has been here 3 years so why are so many of our back ups true freshman?  Why are there no Juniors, Soph or RS Freshman backups and why are they not getting any playing time?  I like Pittman and think he is doing a good job but not a great job.  I wish he would sign more guys who can move better so they can block down field better and guys who can get low and push their man back off the LOS a few yards especially on those 3rd and 1 plays. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: secneahog on October 26, 2015, 07:16:29 am
We still have some guys that will push for playing time.  I know Wallace is a stud.

I wonder why he is not sharing playing time with someone?  I agree with you Wallace came in as a big recruiting get but I wonder why he is not getting playing time.  Our two tackles are good but not dominate especially in run blocking. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 26, 2015, 08:03:28 am
He has been there 3 years so why if your right are they true freshman.  Why are there no Juniors back ups or the Soph or RS Freshman backup playing any.  Until we are being mentioned as the one of the best OL in the SEC and not the biggest then I am not satisfied.

The kids that would be junior back ups are playing right now.  The sophmores are as well.  Right now the back ups are RS Freshman and Freshman.  It's taking time to build depth because BP wasn't a big Oline recruiter.  He just let his QB's get hit repeatedly.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 26, 2015, 08:16:33 am
The kids that would be junior back ups are playing right now.  The sophmores are as well.  Right now the back ups are RS Freshman and Freshman.  It's taking time to build depth because BP wasn't a big Oline recruiter.  He just let his QB's get hit repeatedly.

To be fair, we haven't recruited OL well enough, numbers-wise, since CBB has been here.  We've gotten some great talent.  Just not enough of it.

We'll probably have just eight scholarship OL in spring ball.  Eight.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 08:19:16 am
To be fair, we haven't recruited OL well enough, numbers-wise, since CBB has been here.  We've gotten some great talent.  Just not enough of it.

I realize that, but they have to balance with other positions.  It's going to take time to build OL depth.  We were light on so many positions that they had to make tough choices. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 26, 2015, 08:26:32 am
I realize that, but they have to balance with other positions.  It's going to take time to build OL depth.  We were light on so many positions that they had to make tough choices. 

Not buying that there hasn't been room to sign more OL. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 08:36:49 am
Not buying that there hasn't been room to sign more OL.

And I'm not buying that there has been enough room, so we're at an impasse.  ;) 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 26, 2015, 08:41:35 am
And I'm not buying that there has been enough room, so we're at an impasse.  ;) 

There was enough room to give Tyler Colquitt a scholarship after lifting weights for two weeks and zero practice/game reps.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 08:19:16 am

I guess you are expecting both Kirkland and Skipper to jump to the NFL?

We have ten and a few walkons if they stay.  We have signed 12 OL since CBB arrived.  That includes Pruitt, who didnt make it, and McClure in 13 who never played a role.  That is not enough, but signing 4 OL per year while trying to fill in other needs is about all you can ask.  Ideally, with depth at other positions, we would be signing a full OL each year.

Wildhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 26, 2015, 09:35:13 am
I guess you are expecting both Kirkland and Skipper to jump to the NFL?

We have ten and a few walkons if they stay.  We have signed 12 OL since CBB arrived.  That includes Pruitt, who didnt make it, and McClure in 13 who never played a role.  That is not enough, but signing 4 OL per year while trying to fill in other needs is about all you can ask.  Ideally, with depth at other positions, we would be signing a full OL each year.

I'm expecting Kirkland to go.

In the spring, we'll have:
Josh Allen
Colton Jackson
Reeve Koehler
Jalen Merrick
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Dan Skipper
Brian Wallace

Eight by my count.  Johnny Gibson will probably go on scholarship, I guess.  So nine if you count for that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Petrino's last class (2012) we signed TWO OL.  Ward (injured and moved to DT at one point) and Cordale Boyd (no idea where he is now.) 

2011 we signed 6, only Smothers and Cook played significant snaps.  Stringer played some, the rest never saw the field. 
2010: Charpentier and Cam Feldt.  Count Simek if you want, but he was listed as a TE. 

That is still our biggest issue.

Wildhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 26, 2015, 09:42:51 am
Petrino's last class (2012) we signed TWO OL.  Ward (injured and moved to DT at one point) and Cordale Boyd (no idea where he is now.) 

2011 we signed 6, only Smothers and Cook played significant snaps.  Stringer played some, the rest never saw the field. 
2010: Charpentier and Cam Feldt.  Count Simek if you want, but he was listed as a TE. 

That is still our biggest issue.

Simek was recruited as an OT.

I'm not saying CBP's recruiting wasn't a problem. It was, and we're still feeling the effects of it.  But that doesn't change the fact that we're still not signing enough.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 09:41:24 am
I'm expecting Kirkland to go.

In the spring, we'll have:
Josh Allen
Colton Jackson
Reeve Koehler
Jalen Merrick
Frank Ragnow
Zach Rogers
Dan Skipper
Brian Wallace

Eight by my count.  Johnny Gibson will probably go on scholarship, I guess.  So nine if you count for that.
Kirkland has not had a great season.  Might stay.
Gibson has been listed as the #2 LT all season.  He def counts. 

Not the ideal position, but I see why we are in that position and it isnt going to change overnight. Or even in a couple classes.

Wildhog

If nothing else, we should be signing more BECAUSE of CBP's terrible OL recruiting.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Absolute bottom line- we need to sign at least four OL in this class. Bare minimum.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 09:44:56 am
Simek was recruited as an OT.

I'm not saying CBP's recruiting wasn't a problem. It was, and we're still feeling the effects of it.  But that doesn't change the fact that we're still not signing enough.
I agree, but I dont see where we can take a hit in other recruiting.   We need more LBers and OL, but we need to sign a couple RBs this class and still need a couple in the secondary. With a short class already, I dont see where we pick up more than 4 OL again this class.

Wildhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 26, 2015, 09:50:41 am
I agree, but I dont see where we can take a hit in other recruiting.   We need more LBers and OL, but we need to sign a couple RBs this class and still need a couple in the secondary. With a short class already, I dont see where we pick up more than 4 OL again this class.

We'll have more room than you think.  I think we'll see some transfers.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 09:56:11 am

I think we'll try to sign 4, but it appears they don't go to the fall back theory on OL. It seems we have our targets and don't waiver too much. I figure they know what they're doing, hope so.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2015, 09:58:58 am
I think we'll try to sign 4, but it appears they don't go to the fall back theory on OL. It seems we have our targets and don't waiver too much. I figure they know what they're doing, hope so.

I know they know what they're doing.  Just pray we don't have any injuries.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 09:56:11 am

Jojo's spot may open up a scholly, but I dont think we will sign a full class still.  I hope im wrong.  We do NEED more OL.  We need to land an impact juco OT and OG to go along with 3-4 youngsters.

Wildhog

It just scares me when, in 2014, Pittman is talking about how thin we are at OL, and then being even thinner in 2015, and then probably even thinner than that in 2016.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 26, 2015, 10:02:31 am
It just scares me when, in 2014, Pittman is talking about how thin we are at OL, and then being even thinner in 2015, and then probably even thinner than that in 2016.

I understand, I guess he likes our walkons and back-ups better than some fall back from their "A" list.

Hogzilla Killa

I think we are going to get 2 JUCO OL this year and 2 high school seniors. Pittman has his eye on some highly recruited JUCO's and can push for playing time. Besides Tretola it seems like there is always a year of adjustment needed even for JUCO players though

Dominicanhog

Speculation was that Diesch sp? was going to A and M, with the tailspin they are in and possible coaching issues.. I wonder if he is even a possible for the Hogs any longer.. my guess is the ship has sailed but you never know...

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 26, 2015, 05:16:21 pm
Speculation was that Diesch sp? was going to A and M, with the tailspin they are in and possible coaching issues.. I wonder if he is even a possible for the Hogs any longer.. my guess is the ship has sailed but you never know...
Probably sailed, but I'd like to have him back.  Maybe a chance, but I dont think the breakup went over well. 

redeye

I agree with this.  We thought we had Weathersby last year, but had no one on standby when that fell through.  I think it was intentional, and that they either wanted Weathersby, or no one.

Some of our problem now is having too many players who will never play and I'm sure they don't want to add to that number.

luke hawg

Bielema was producing more OL draft picks than anyone at Wisconsin and he is recruited better talent here. A lot of those kids a Wisconsin were walk-ons. He has to be able to reproduce that success here.