Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP-Graham Committing October 30th

Started by Wright43, October 19, 2015, 08:32:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 30, 2015, 10:33:04 am
Yeah I think they do that now but wasn't for sure if they did that back then or not. We definitely did but our 5* most definitely did not play like a 5*. Plus you had several 4*s either get kicked off, hurt, or just not pan out.

But either way it would have to take a once in a lifetime group of instaters to get us into the top 15.

I think it's been top 20 for quite a while, pre 2009.  Our top 20 was ranked high that year.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

870hogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 10:28:41 am
2016 WR's:

Jared Cornelius
Keon Hatcher (assuming he gets his RS)
Kendrick Edwards (assuming he is on the team)
Eric Hawkins
Cody Hollister
Damon Mitchell
Drew Morgan
La'Michael Pettway
Dominique Reed
Deon Stewart
TJ Hammonds WR (assuming he doesn't move to RB)
Jordan Jones WR
Kofi Boateng WR
Kiel Pollard WR (assuming he doesn't move to OLB)

I don't think this is a "big miss". Missing on our current RB targets would be,.

This

jry04

Quote from: bighog77 on October 30, 2015, 10:11:31 am
we will not win any kind of championship till we pick it up in recruiting. All your National and SEC Champs have top 15 recruiting classes.
Doom and gloom...

Hate to break it to you, but we will never be top 15 in recruiting consistently. I don't understand why people fail to realize how bad the state of Arkansas is for high school football, with regards to the recruiting services. We have to steal recruits from the Texas schools and Oklahoma to consistently have a top 15 recruiting class, and that won't happen enough for us to be in the top 15. There are quality players we can coach up, but that is how it will always have to be. We will never consistently get the 10+ 4-5* recruits it takes to get into the top 15 recruiting consistently. According to 24/7 sports, we had 9 4* prospects in last year's class, and we were ranked 21st.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jry04 on October 30, 2015, 10:44:12 am
Doom and gloom...

Hate to break it to you, but we will never be top 15 in recruiting consistently. I don't understand why people fail to realize how bad the state of Arkansas is for high school football, with regards to the recruiting services. We have to steal recruits from the Texas schools and Oklahoma to consistently have a top 15 recruiting class, and that won't happen enough for us to be in the top 15. There are quality players we can coach up, but that is how it will always have to be. We will never consistently get the 10+ 4-5* recruits it takes to get into the top 15 recruiting consistently. According to 24/7 sports, we had 9 4* prospects in last year's class, and we were ranked 21st.
then we are doomed. You are saying "it'll never happen" , well , guess what? A Title ain't happening without it. It's not like we have to upset 1 or two teams. We have to beat 7-8 teams with more talent than us every season. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN unless we at least hit several top 20 classes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bubba's Bruisers

Doom and gloom...

I think there's a disconnect among fans regarding recruiting and winning championships.  If our recruiting improves a little, which it seems to be doing, and we maintain quality, stable coaching and player retention, then we can be a quality program...consistently.  But the recruiting limitations, as you note, make it very unlikely we will be a champion at any level...SEC or otherwise.  In the current landscape.

Absolutely have to have elite talent to get to championship level.  Lot's of it.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 30, 2015, 10:35:37 am
I think it's been top 20 for quite a while, pre 2009.  Our top 20 was ranked high that year.

Good to know.

Yeah they were but lets look at it now. From that top 20, I clicked the "Rivals Rankings" so it would pull them up with the highest recruits first.

Winston - Never really panned out
Wingo -  was decent but in my opinion never lived up to his rankings
Oden - Was pretty good but didn't he get kicked off after a season or two?
Crim - Was a good JUCO pick up.
Davis - Great RB when he was healthy.
Berna - Not sure he ever played. Had to end up quitting football because of a shoulder injury I believe.
Moss - Played a year then ended up at ULM.
Leon - Was absolutely lost his first year but really picked it up his last.
DD Jones - Solid player from day 1.
Gordon - Didn't he get kicked off for smoking pot?
Hamilton - Great WR
Bailey - Great OL
B Mitchell - The greatest that never was.
Ray - Left after getting arrested for pot after 2 seasons
Turell Williams - I think ended up going JUCO
Barlow - Played a little then got hurt and either quit or transferred.
Terrell Williams - contributed at the LB position
Evans - got hurt
Nash - Back up DE
Thomas - Back up OL

But after that you do have couple solid guys that played:

Swanson
Rasner (never liked him)
Tate

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 30, 2015, 10:58:28 am
Good to know.

Yeah they were but lets look at it now. From that top 20, I clicked the "Rivals Rankings" so it would pull them up with the highest recruits first.

Winston - Never really panned out
Wingo -  was decent but in my opinion never lived up to his rankings
Oden - Was pretty good but didn't he get kicked off after a season or two?
Crim - Was a good JUCO pick up.
Davis - Great RB when he was healthy.
Berna - Not sure he ever played. Had to end up quitting football because of a shoulder injury I believe.
Moss - Played a year then ended up at ULM.
Leon - Was absolutely lost his first year but really picked it up his last.
DD Jones - Solid player from day 1.
Gordon - Didn't he get kicked off for smoking pot?
Hamilton - Great WR
Bailey - Great OL
B Mitchell - The greatest that never was.
Ray - Left after getting arrested for pot after 2 seasons
Turell Williams - I think ended up going JUCO
Barlow - Played a little then got hurt and either quit or transferred.
Terrell Williams - contributed at the LB position
Evans - got hurt
Nash - Back up DE
Thomas - Back up OL

But after that you do have couple solid guys that played:

Swanson
Rasner (never liked him)
Tate

So like many of our classes. 

We have never recruited well enough to be relevant with any consistency. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 30, 2015, 11:03:18 am
So like many of our classes. 

We have never recruited well enough to be relevant with any consistency. 

Right. Not sure how this whole thing came up haha. Little bit of a derailment by my part. I apologize.

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

Oklahawg

Quote from: jackflash on October 30, 2015, 10:22:23 am
I can understand him picking TCU their trying their best to be like Baylor

Could also say that Baylor is trying to be TCU. :)

I watched TCU dismantle WVA last night. A very good offense and I'd be interested in that experience if a WR also.

A loss, as we spent a lot of time working this particular recruit. Guess what? We do that with a lot of recruits we don't land. We spend a lot of time on kids who do commit to UA.

Deep sigh and move on. I'm much more concerned about RB and LB as positions right now.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JaketheSnake

Would have been a nice pickup.  Would rather see an extra OT or LB

The_Iceman

Quote from: 870hogfan on October 30, 2015, 10:38:49 am

This

I'm sure it will get ignored and overlooked by those who want to push their anti-Bielema narrative.

870hogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 11:23:15 am
I'm sure it will get ignored and overlooked by those who want to push their anti-Bielema narrative.

I'm sure it will. I'm more worried about LB, RB, and OL recruiting. They need more depth and hopefully this weekend they get 2 commits with being team mates...

Wildhog

Who said that OL, LB, and RB weren't bigger needs?  Of course they are, but Graham has been a major priority for our coaches all year, and one that we've felt really good about for a long time. Saying that it was a big miss has nothing to do with any agenda. It was a big miss. It happens. I trust that we'll use that spot to fill other needs.  Christ, almighty, y'all are sensitive.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

Quote from: 870hogfan on October 30, 2015, 11:31:27 am

I'm sure it will. I'm more worried about LB, RB, and OL recruiting. They need more depth and hopefully this weekend they get 2 commits with being team mates...

Not counting walkons, we will have anywhere between 11-14 WR's on campus next year depending on Keon, Edwards, and position switches. Yet, our RB group as of now looks depleted with our top two guys being an often injured Kody Walker, a converted fullback, and RWIII, who just had season ending neck surgery.

And we have some freaking out about losing a WR to the #5 team in the country.

870hogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 11:35:15 am
Not counting walkons, we will have anywhere between 11-14 WR's on campus next year depending on Keon, Edwards, and position switches. Yet, our RB group as of now looks depleted with our top two guys being an often injured Kody Walker, a converted fullback, and RWIII, who just had season ending neck surgery.

Yes I would like to have him but yes there are bigger needs and maybe another need will take his spot.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 30, 2015, 11:35:11 am
Who said that OL, LB, and RB weren't bigger needs?  Of course they are, but Graham has been a major priority for our coaches all year, and one that we've felt really good about for a long time. Saying that it was a big miss has nothing to do with any agenda. It was a big miss. It happens. I trust that we'll use that spot to fill other needs.  Christ, almighty, y'all are sensitive.

I agree that it's a big miss in that they have been on him, as far as depth, it's not as big as some other areas. Any guy we go after and don't get, is a miss in my eyes.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 11:35:15 am

Freaking out, nah, they are just disappointed like the rest of us.

The Hogfather

Quote from: ricepig on October 30, 2015, 11:42:22 am
I agree that it's a big miss in that they have been on him, as far as depth, it's not as big as some other areas. Any guy we go after and don't get, is a miss in my eyes.

Exactly.  With what we're looking at in regards to RB depth, we cannot miss on the RB position.  We have to land some high quality backs or it appears we could be in trouble there, especially with our offensive philosophy.  I would love to have Graham, but we should have plenty of WR depth, especially if Hatcher comes back.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on October 30, 2015, 11:43:13 am
Freaking out, nah, they are just disappointed like the rest of us.

That would be like me packing a lunch for work and someone saying they may bring me lunch that day. It would be nice if they did, but if they didn't, I'm not disappointed because I'm already set.

This weekend we have RB Pennamon and LB Carmouche coming in. Those are two big positions of need. If we were to not get either of those, that would be like someone telling you they are bringing you lunch and you didn't pack anything, and then they back out.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 11:47:43 am
That would be like me packing a lunch for work and someone saying they may bring me lunch that day. It would be nice if they did, but if they didn't, I'm not disappointed because I'm already set.

This weekend we have RB Pennamon and LB Carmouche coming in. Those are two big positions of need. If we were to not get either of those, that would be like someone telling you they are bringing you lunch and you didn't pack anything, and then they back out.

Not really, because none of these guys said anything about lunch!

The Hogfather

Quote from: ricepig on October 30, 2015, 11:49:10 am
Not really, because none of these guys said anything about lunch!

He has a point, Iceman.

hawginbigd1

I said it already, with what TCU has been doing with Doctson and the Freshaman Turvin as far as numbers I thought TCU had the upper hand, but 5 weeks ago I believe he was leaning towards us, it is a long time until Feb. however, we have flipped coaches and players away before from TCU.

jry04

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 30, 2015, 10:53:08 am
then we are doomed. You are saying "it'll never happen" , well , guess what? A Title ain't happening without it. It's not like we have to upset 1 or two teams. We have to beat 7-8 teams with more talent than us every season. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN unless we at least hit several top 20 classes.
We can still win without 4 top 15 classes in a row. We can have a couple really good classes, with a few mediocre classes that fill needs and have a team for a few years that can compete with anyone.

Petrino never had consistent top 15 classes, and we were 1 game away from making the National Championship game against Alabama when we were #3 playing #1 LSU. We went up 14 early, one more stop and that game may have ended up a blowout to push our BCS #s into the #2 spot. Obviously good recruiting classes matter, but a great S&C program combined with coachable players will go a long way, too. I just think it is unrealistic for fans to think we will consistently pull classes that feature half our signings as 4* or better players. We produce 2 to 5 4* a year in Arkansas, and like 15-20 division 1 athletes. Every other SEC state produces 2 or 3x that.

The_Iceman

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jry04 on October 30, 2015, 12:13:21 pm
We can still win without 4 top 15 classes in a row. We can have a couple really good classes, with a few mediocre classes that fill needs and have a team for a few years that can compete with anyone.

Petrino never had consistent top 15 classes, and we were 1 game away from making the National Championship game against Alabama when we were #3 playing #1 LSU. We went up 14 early, one more stop and that game may have ended up a blowout to push our BCS #s into the #2 spot. Obviously good recruiting classes matter, but a great S&C program combined with coachable players will go a long way, too. I just think it is unrealistic for fans to think we will consistently pull classes that feature half our signings as 4* or better players. We produce 2 to 5 4* a year in Arkansas, and like 15-20 division 1 athletes. Every other SEC state produces 2 or 3x that.

Exactly right, which is why we are consistently irrelevant.

Dropkick

Long time till Feb. for the ones committed to us as well as the ones that aren't.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Jared Cornelius was either committed to TCU or leaning that way at one time. It's disappointing to lose a guy-if it happens, but still a long way to go until Feb...

IMO there is a good chance that TJ Hammonds winds up at RB, so freaking out about that position is unnecessary also.

Of course, a lot of who winds up at what position depends upon what happens with JWill (likely gone), AC (probably going), RWill's health and what happens with Hatcher.

And who actually SIGNS in Feb.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

PorkRinds

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on October 30, 2015, 12:51:36 pm
Jared Cornelius was either committed to TCU or leaning that way at one time. It's disappointing to lose a guy-if it happens, but still a long way to go until Feb...

IMO there is a good chance that TJ Hammonds winds up at RB, so freaking out about that position is unnecessary also.

Of course, a lot of who winds up at what position depends upon what happens with JWill (likely gone), AC (probably going), RWill's health and what happens with Hatcher.

And who actually SIGNS in Feb.

JC committed to us, then flipped to TCU, then we flipped him back.

Smokehouse

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 30, 2015, 01:12:58 pm
JC committed to us, then flipped to TCU, then we flipped him back.

So we just need to make sure we flip Graham when there's not enough time for TCU to flip him back :)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

scruf

I heard the news but haven't read the entire thread but I assume the sky is falling.

Dropkick

Quote from: scruf on October 30, 2015, 02:09:32 pm
I heard the news but haven't read the entire thread but I assume the sky is falling.
we will never complete another pass............

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Dropkick on October 30, 2015, 02:11:17 pm
we will never complete another pass............

I think you mean we will never attempt a pass again?

spahoopsfan

Doom and gloom...

I disagree.  Winning is the key.  TCU is of course in Texas.  They didn't do anything for 50 years until they started to win. Texas use to get every recruit they wanted in the state of Texas until they started to lose (bad coaching bad play calling bad recruiting decisions). Now the Baylor's, TCU's and A&M's are beating them at recruiting. Bama gets the great recruits, not because they in the state but because they win.  If Petrino or a very good coach came here (not sure bielema is the answer) and won we would have no trouble getting recruits.
We can win and win big in Arkansas.  I get frustrated with people saying we can't win, can't recruit.  It happens at other places that are smaller and in some not so great locations. Look at Oregon, Boise St (for a decade), now TCU and Baylor

ricepig

Quote from: spahoopsfan on October 30, 2015, 02:42:43 pm
I disagree.  Winning is the key.  TCU is of course in Texas.  They didn't do anything for 50 years until they started to win. Texas use to get every recruit they wanted in the state of Texas until they started to lose (bad coaching bad play calling bad recruiting decisions). Now the Baylor's, TCU's and A&M's are beating them at recruiting. Bama gets the great recruits, not because they in the state but because they win.  If Petrino or a very good coach came here (not sure bielema is the answer) and won we would have no trouble getting recruits.
We can win and win big in Arkansas.  I get frustrated with people saying we can't win, can't recruit.  It happens at other places that are smaller and in some not so great locations. Look at Oregon, Boise St (for a decade), now TCU and Baylor

Yeah, we really brought in the classes in 2011 and 2012........

Whiskeyhog

If the hogs can get a consistent 900yd, 8-10 TD receiver in the their offense, I think that will open the eyes of the bigger recruits.  Drew Morgan has the best chance this year and maybe next year JC or Reed will be that receiver.  Hatcher would have probably done that this year.

JaketheSnake

Do you remember Petrino's recruiting?  After winning some games? 
Who has every said Arkansas can win?  There are plenty that believe we will never have consistent top ten recruiting classes and I believe that as well. That doesnt mean we can not have great classes.  Did Boise ever have huge recruiting classes?  TCU or Baylor before the last few years?  Oregon before Kelley?

jry04

I never said we cannot win. I said we cannot recruit top 15 classes consistently. I said we can still win with the talent we get. TCU and Baylor have the entire state of Texas to recruit. The state produces hundreds of division 1 athletes. No matter how many games Arkansas wins, the state will never produce division 1 talent like other SEC states. That won't change.  However, it is easier to convince a kid to come to your school when it is in your state like Baylor and TCU can do with Texas kids.

Boise did more with less. They didn't recruit studs. They coached them up. They had to play 1 or 2 quality opponents a year. Oregon is a decent example because their state produces similar talent, but Oregon has the backing of Nike. They realized they had to recruit nationally to be competitive, and started doing that with the name of Nike.

WildRazorback

Quote from: jry04 on October 30, 2015, 05:43:22 pm
I never said we cannot win. I said we cannot recruit top 15 classes consistently. I said we can still win with the talent we get. TCU and Baylor have the entire state of Texas to recruit. The state produces hundreds of division 1 athletes. No matter how many games Arkansas wins, the state will never produce division 1 talent like other SEC states. That won't change.  However, it is easier to convince a kid to come to your school when it is in your state like Baylor and TCU can do with Texas kids.

Boise did more with less. They didn't recruit studs. They coached them up. They had to play 1 or 2 quality opponents a year. Oregon is a decent example because their state produces similar talent, but Oregon has the backing of Nike. They realized they had to recruit nationally to be competitive, and started doing that with the name of Nike.

Oregon, TCU, and Baylor are also part of this new trend of uptempo, exciting offenses. Scoring 50 points a game is pretty attractive for recruits.

Smokehouse

Quote from: jry04 on October 30, 2015, 05:43:22 pm

I think it technically could change. Or at least get better than it currently is. It would take NWA's population continue to move upwards at the same pace it currently is, and a group of people investing many millions to improve the college football infrastructure in central and south Arkansas.

Both are unlikely to happen, and even if they did it would be decades before we saw the results in recruiting.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 30, 2015, 04:38:37 pm
Do you remember Petrino's recruiting?  After winning some games? 
Who has every said Arkansas can win?  There are plenty that believe we will never have consistent top ten recruiting classes and I believe that as well. That doesnt mean we can not have great classes.  Did Boise ever have huge recruiting classes?  TCU or Baylor before the last few years?  Oregon before Kelley?
He had just one great season. Winning doesn't mean one season otherwise the Nutt would still be here.  Had Petrino stayed and won like I believe he would have then yes by now we would have a top 15 recruiting class year in and year out. As typical you look at a narrow version of a statement and miss the point.  TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M are recruiting well now, how well were they recruiting before they got very good coaches and started winning. Not worth a damn.  They were all far worst than Arkansas in recruiting for 45 of the last 50 years.  They changed that because they got very good coaches, played exciting football both of which has helped them get recruits over Arkansas.
But if you want to give in and say we can't win, we can't recruit bah bah bah. Go ahead. I don't buy it.

870hogfan

Quote from: spahoopsfan on October 30, 2015, 08:15:26 pm
He had just one great season. Winning doesn't mean one season otherwise the Nutt would still be here.  Had Petrino stayed and won like I believe he would have then yes by now we would have a top 15 recruiting class year in and year out. As typical you look at a narrow version of a statement and miss the point.  TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M are recruiting well now, how well were they recruiting before they got very good coaches and started winning. Not worth a damn.  They were all far worst than Arkansas in recruiting for 45 of the last 50 years.  They changed that because they got very good coaches, played exciting football both of which has helped them get recruits over Arkansas.
But if you want to give in and say we can't win, we can't recruit bah bah bah. Go ahead. I don't buy it.

Sumlin is not an good coach.  He always changes QB'S by middle of the season and can't develop an decent one.

jry04

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 30, 2015, 06:53:20 pm
I think it technically could change. Or at least get better than it currently is. It would take NWA's population continue to move upwards at the same pace it currently is, and a group of people investing many millions to improve the college football infrastructure in central and south Arkansas.

Both are unlikely to happen, and even if they did it would be decades before we saw the results in recruiting.
It likely won't happen in my lifetime, so that is why I said that won't change.

Ironhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 11:47:43 am

This weekend we have RB Pennamon and LB Carmouche coming in. Those are two big positions of need.

Losing on Graham sucks because of the amount of time and energy invested in him, but these two guys are much, much more important to the program. 

ChicoHog

I give TCU credit.  They won a recruit who was offered by some big name teams/traditional powers and the Frogs beat them out.  that shows you a little bit of the changing tide of Texas football.   

tophawg19

it doesn't matter where you are located. good coaches can recruit to anywhere . look at ohio st. , michigan , notre dame . those teams are pulling in a lot of kids from texas, florida and all over the south .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Smokehouse

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 30, 2015, 10:27:10 pm
it doesn't matter where you are located. good coaches can recruit to anywhere . look at ohio st. , michigan , notre dame . those teams are pulling in a lot of kids from texas, florida and all over the south .

Those are, respectively, the 6th, 1st, and 2nd winningest programs in college football history. I think that probably has a little bit to do with their recruiting reach.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jry04

October 30, 2015, 11:49:40 pm #148 Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:00:30 am by jry04
Quote from: tophawg19 on October 30, 2015, 10:27:10 pm
Terrible examples... Those teams are able to build a foundation with in state kids. Go look at the number of division 1 athletes, and more importantly 4 & 5 * recruits in those states. Michigan and Ohio are HOTBEDS for recruits. Not to mention those 3 have a history that we cannot compete with, so that helps with their national recruiting, too. Their names alone sell the program.

Look at Wisconsin. Their state is worse than Arkansas as far as high school football goes. Bielema won 3 straight conference titles, plus beat us in the Capital One Bowl when we were top 10 with the Heisman runner up. His recruiting rankings after all those 10+ win seasons still resulted in classes being ranked in the 30s and 40s at Wisconsin. Why? Because they did not have the recruiting base that other teams they are going up against had. Someone stated Boise was able to get recruits. Boise gets leftovers from major conference west coast teams, and coaches them up. Chris Petersen is regarded as one of the best coaches in the country, and his class rankings were always in the 45-80 range, despite consistently being a top 25 program before he left Boise. It really isn't that hard to see. People are setting unrealistic expectations if they expect us to have a top 15 class annually.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: jry04 on October 30, 2015, 11:49:40 pm
Terrible examples... Those teams are able to build a foundation with in state kids. Go look at the number of division 1 athletes, and more importantly 4 & 5 * recruits in those states. Michigan and Ohio are HOTBEDS for recruits. Not to mention those 3 have a history that we cannot compete with, so that helps with their national recruiting, too. Their names alone sell the program.

Look at Wisconsin. Their state is worse than Arkansas as far as high school football goes. Bielema won 3 straight conference titles, plus beat us in the Capital One Bowl when we were top 10 with the Heisman runner up. His recruiting rankings after all those 10+ win seasons still resulted in classes being ranked in the 30s and 40s at Wisconsin. Why? Because they did not have the recruiting base that other teams they are going up against had. Someone stated Boise was able to get recruits. Boise gets leftovers from major conference west coast teams, and coaches them up. Chris Petersen is regarded as one of the best coaches in the country, and his class rankings were always in the 45-80 range, despite consistently being a top 25 program before he left Boise. It really isn't that hard to see. People are setting unrealistic expectations if they expect us to have a top 15 class annually.

Yes we shouldn't expect to get a kid from Louisiana to come to Arkansas rather than TCU.  Sure we must have a great coach because he won three years in the Big Ten when Michigan couldn't beat a division 2 team, Penn St was a disgrace to the football world, and Ohio St was in turmoil.
I understand why we can't recruit now but again to say it can't happen here is wrong.
I will agree we don't have the formula to turn it around right now. Coach that can't keep his mouth shut, no winning, low division 1 players in the state.