Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ask the Expert

Started by userpick, September 02, 2013, 09:13:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

First Tee Frog

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 03, 2013, 05:19:30 pm
I know you weren't directing this to me, but I typically hit too low of a ball (which runs out nice but sucks when I need to carry) and I swing 10.5 degree driver, 68g stiff shaft.

Drives me nuts. Otherwise my miss is left.

Is it a pull or a hook left? If you can post a video do. It's probably an AoA problem but without seeing its tough to tell

Wildhog

Quote from: First Tee Frog on September 03, 2013, 11:48:55 pm
pretty good. Needs to lose a little of the right knee flex in the backswing so he can get a little more hip turn and not get his right elbow stuck which leads to back foot staying down too long and not quite as much extension as I would ideally see into follow through. Club isn't nearly as under plane as in the past and is working much more left/on plane through impact than in the past as well. Face is also much more square to the path than I have seen from him.  Good work all in all

My thoughts exactly.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: First Tee Frog on September 04, 2013, 12:00:10 am
Is it a pull or a hook left? If you can post a video do. It's probably an AoA problem but without seeing its tough to tell

Hook left, or sometimes pull. I know sometimes I wont release the club. And in general my ball flight is kinda low.
Go away, batin'

userpick

Quote from: First Tee Frog on September 03, 2013, 11:48:55 pm
pretty good. Needs to lose a little of the right knee flex in the backswing so he can get a little more hip turn and not get his right elbow stuck which leads to back foot staying down too long and not quite as much extension as I would ideally see into follow through. Club isn't nearly as under plane as in the past and is working much more left/on plane through impact than in the past as well. Face is also much more square to the path than I have seen from him.  Good work all in all

Knew you'd say that about my right knee. The past couple months, I've been working on a couple drills you gave me to get the club swinging left, and it's finally starting to pay off. Working on my right knee flex is my next tweak.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The Artist Yo Huckleberry on September 03, 2013, 10:46:04 pm
Poodle, looks like he had you set up with the right knee flexed I ward toward the left knee?

Just as a reference....

Look at the outline of his right leg through his pants. Thats a 6 iron

[attachment deleted by admin]

GolfNut57

Guess I need to figure out a way to film my swing and post it here. I think everyone could use a laugh or two.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pulled(PP)pork

I really get nervous over the ball with my wedges, and that tends to allow me to chili dip.  this is from 80 and in.  otherwise, my game is just really inconsistant.

tips, cheap alcohol?

PP

Wildhog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 04, 2013, 08:08:26 am
I really get nervous over the ball with my wedges, and that tends to allow me to chili dip.  this is from 80 and in.  otherwise, my game is just really inconsistant.

tips, cheap alcohol?

PP

Xanax.  The ultimate golf PED.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tbhogfan

Quote from: First Tee Frog on September 03, 2013, 05:02:38 pm
do you have a pattern to your misses?
Yes.  Mostly to the right,  I am a natural fader, but they are tending to start right and stay there.  There is the occasional screaming hook, but I think that is due to overcompensation.
Go Hogs!

First Tee Frog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 04, 2013, 08:08:26 am

tips, cheap alcohol?

PP

You are most likely not using the bounce of the wedge correctly. Too steep and too hard to the left with a ball position that is too far back will cause that. Move the ball up and try to have as long a flat spot as possible with your wedges.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: First Tee Frog on September 04, 2013, 08:56:53 am
You are most likely not using the bounce of the wedge correctly. Too steep and too hard to the left with a ball position that is too far back will cause that. Move the ball up and try to have as long a flat spot as possible with your wedges.
give it some practice.....more like a bunker swing?

PP

kingofdequeen

suggestion - maybe mention to Pulled the proper way to release the club with a wedge with the ball forward so he's not spraying everything obscenely high and right or skulling it every 3rd swing.

First Tee Frog

Quote from: tbhogfan on September 04, 2013, 08:54:01 am
Yes.  Mostly to the right,  I am a natural fader, but they are tending to start right and stay there.  There is the occasional screaming hook, but I think that is due to overcompensation.

Without seeing it is hard to say but I would be willing to bet you don't have nearly enough spine tilt away from the target in your downswing

First Tee Frog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 04, 2013, 09:06:22 am
suggestion - maybe mention to Pulled the proper way to release the club with a wedge with the ball forward so he's not spraying everything obscenely high and right or skulling it every 3rd swing.

Have as long a flat spot as possible at the bottom, finish with club face more up at the sky and out in front of you than crossed over or left, feel your hips press up and through as they turn and don't be afraid to bang the back of the wedge into the ground. Hands are still in front of ball at impact

CallThemHawgs!

I know you said User left his right foot on the ground for too long, I feel like sometimes mine comes up too early. Occasionally when I hit a fat shot I can really feel that right heel coming up in the downswing, and it seems like it causes me to get steep or stuck.

What is really going on/causing it, and how can I work on keeping it down a bit longer?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 04, 2013, 09:37:26 am
I know you said User left his right foot on the ground for too long, I feel like sometimes mine comes up too early. Occasionally when I hit a fat shot I can really feel that right heel coming up in the downswing, and it seems like it causes me to get steep or stuck.

What is really going on/causing it, and how can I work on keeping it down a bit longer?

FTF - i'll take this one....keep your heel on the ground, numbnuts.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 04, 2013, 09:41:53 am
um, keep your heel on the ground, numbnuts?

Hahaha I know, its not like im forcing it up or trying to bring it up.

It just kind of happens during the transfer. Maybe because my stance is a bit wider now than before, I dunno.

Dr. Starcs

Any tips for getting that descending strike on iron shots?

My ball striking is just so inconsistent.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 04, 2013, 10:54:14 am

WWHD

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 10:55:53 am
WWHD

Hit the ball nice and pure, but I am not sure if that will help him much here.

Pulled(PP)pork

September 04, 2013, 11:09:22 am #70 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:19:27 am by Pulled(PP)pork
I notice I can keep my drives straighter, thus gaining distance if I turn around my stable right leg....not consistently though.
I also notice that my playing partners are hitting 2 less clubs than me, on avg.

I hit 6i into 150-155 par 3's, they hit 8-9i
am I delofting through impact or just suck?

PP

kingofdequeen

This thread just got unreadable btw. 

too many vague questions with no video.  You wouldn't want FTF to answer with such little info.

Wildhog

I think UP's got some video of my gorgeous swing.  Feel free to post if you want.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dillar Dog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 04, 2013, 11:28:44 am

too many vague questions with no video.  You wouldn't want FTF to answer with such little info.

Funny.  Historically this forum has had the highest number of swing gurus that can fix anything with no idea how the swing looks of any forum on the planet.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Dillar Dog on September 04, 2013, 11:41:54 am
Funny.  Historically this forum has had the highest number of swing gurus that can fix anything with no idea how the swing looks of any forum on the planet.

at least they're usually separated in different threads.

i feel for FTF trying to wade through the questions.  he's actually earned his cred.  the rest of us gurus make it up as we go.

First Tee Frog

Hey guys...just a heads up. I will be behind being able to answer until this evening. Doing my day job. We were closed yesterday because of being open Monday for Labor Day. I will try and get to everything when I get done tonight.

Wildhog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 04, 2013, 11:49:48 am
at least they're usually separated in different threads.

i feel for FTF trying to wade through the questions.  he's actually earned his cred.  the rest of us gurus make it up as we go.

I never even try.  I only know what works for me.  Applying that to others could be catastrophic.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pulled(PP)pork

I shall work on getting my video submitted, until then, forget I asked anything

PP

userpick

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 04, 2013, 11:28:44 am

I agree with KoD. Don't be afraid to post videos. You'll be glad you did.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 04, 2013, 11:09:22 am
I notice I can keep my drives straighter, thus gaining distance if I turn around my stable right leg....not consistently though.
I also notice that my playing partners are hitting 2 less clubs than me, on avg.

I hit 6i into 150-155 par 3's, they hit 8-9i
am I delofting through impact or just suck?

PP

You must be talking about Clutch and Roctavious. I would hit the same club as you into that yardage.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 04, 2013, 04:17:37 pm
You must be talking about Clutch and Roctavious. I would hit the same club as you into that yardage.
my usual playing partner will hit a 7i into a 180 green, I'm hitting 4i

PP

GolfNut57

Quote from: userpick on September 04, 2013, 12:27:03 pm
I agree with KoD. Don't be afraid to post videos. You'll be glad you did.

So exactly how DO you post videos here? My Iphone has video capability but I have never tried to use it and have no idea what kind of video quality it would give. Other than a frontal shot and one from DTL what else would I need to know when submitting the video(s)?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 04, 2013, 04:25:15 pm
my usual playing partner will hit a 7i into a 180 green, I'm hitting 4i

PP

180 yards? shoot, I am likely reaching for my 20 degree hybrid there.

Wildhog

I think Cosmo and I will be uploading video today.  That ought to keep this thread going for at least a few years.
1909/1964/1965/1977

userpick

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 04, 2013, 04:25:44 pm
So exactly how DO you post videos here? My Iphone has video capability but I have never tried to use it and have no idea what kind of video quality it would give. Other than a frontal shot and one from DTL what else would I need to know when submitting the video(s)?

I bet if you're real nice to John Quincy Poodle, he would upload one for you.

userpick

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2013, 04:27:53 pm
I think Cosmo and I will be uploading video today.  That ought to keep this thread going for at least a few years.

I guess we'll find out if Michael can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Wildhog

Quote from: userpick on September 04, 2013, 04:36:44 pm
I guess we'll find out if Michael can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

That training aid couldn't even keep me from taking the club so far back.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfNut57

Quote from: userpick on September 04, 2013, 04:35:57 pm
I bet if you're real nice to John Quincy Poodle, he would upload one for you.

Is it the same as copying and pasting a link to a pic by using a photobucket account? If so I can probably handle it myself. Once I get a video or two made.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2013, 04:27:53 pm

Got dam head is loose on my driver. So...yay.
Go away, batin'

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 04, 2013, 04:37:57 pm
Is it the same as copying and pasting a link to a pic by using a photobucket account? If so I can probably handle it myself. Once I get a video or two made.

If you have photo bucket that might work, just make sure the video is public.

If not just email it to me and I will post it

kingofdequeen

cosmodrum

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 04, 2013, 05:55:44 pm
glue it back

Unless you mean squirt Elmer's on it, I'd have no idea.

That's said, just played 9 hitting RBZ 3 metal. I don't need a fricken driver.
Go away, batin'

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 04, 2013, 06:30:27 pm

Exactly... I dont miss mine...

Just wrapped up a 40 on the front at Paradise, did not miss a fairway.... you better find a hot tranny my friend.  ;)

Just kidding, I was drained after that. Ways to go yet.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 04, 2013, 06:30:27 pm

have fun putting on the sand?

CallThemHawgs!

Michael, here was a vid I took tonight on the range.

Using a 6 iron.

Looks like im a bit close to the ball at setup, and definitely looks like I got a bit stuck at the bottom. Backswing is also a bit long.

Working on the finish, which does seem a bit more fluid. Whats your take?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xg0IuKErFg

CallThemHawgs!

Double post... sorry the video kinda blows. Tough getting the angles decent.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 06:54:10 pm
have fun putting on the sand?

Yep. Either banged it in, or called it a 2 putt.
Go away, batin'

First Tee Frog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 04, 2013, 10:54:14 am

I can't really do a tip for that.  Everything that goes on is predicated on what goes on before.  There could be any number of reasons you aren't hitting down on it.  The one practice tool to work with to hit down on it would be a tour striker. You'll Either figure out how to hit down on it or hit lines drives all day.   ;)

First Tee Frog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 04, 2013, 07:04:05 pm
Michael, here was a vid I took tonight on the range.

Using a 6 iron.

Looks like im a bit close to the ball at setup, and definitely looks like I got a bit stuck at the bottom. Backswing is also a bit long.

Working on the finish, which does seem a bit more fluid. Whats your take?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xg0IuKErFg

Not really sure how you can see that you are too close or stuck from that angle.  In honesty I would tell you that it looks good but really can't see much.

userpick

Wildhog, did you get a video taken? I have one on my phone...