Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Video reviews are ruining college bball

Started by hogsanity, January 27, 2018, 11:14:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 01:30:17 pm
They are hired to tabulate the votes, they are not brought in to critique whoever actually counted them.

I know. Dang, lighten up. But don't you mean critique whoever actually cast the vote? By tabulating aren't they counting?  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 29, 2018, 01:59:37 pm
I know. Dang, lighten up. But don't you mean critique whoever actually cast the vote? By tabulating aren't they counting?  ;)

No I mean counted. If they were a 3rd party, like people are wanting to evaluate refs, the accountants would be evaluating whoever counted the votes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 02:04:20 pm
No I mean counted. If they were a 3rd party, like people are wanting to evaluate refs, the accountants would be evaluating whoever counted the votes.

Well, the guys who were paid to officiate Saturday's game, who asked for the opportunity to do it, did a very poor job. Surely someone who has experience as an official could see that?

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 29, 2018, 02:22:22 pm
Well, the guys who were paid to officiate Saturday's game, who asked for the opportunity to do it, did a very poor job. Surely someone who has experience as an official could see that?

I thought the game was called just fine outside of a questionable review overturn. Then again, I do not look at every foul against the Hogs as a bad call like some here do. Some here probably thought the call on Thomas, where they again had to go to the monitor to see if it was a f1 or not, was not even a foul.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 02:26:38 pm
I thought the game was called just fine outside of a questionable review overturn. Then again, I do not look at every foul against the Hogs as a bad call like some here do. Some here probably thought the call on Thomas, where they again had to go to the monitor to see if it was a f1 or not, was not even a foul.

The announcers didn't seem to think it was well officiated either. My biggest complaints were on Barford's foul along the sideline, the overturned review on Jaylon & failure to overturn the blocked ball by Trey that went off of the OSU player.

urkillnmesmalls

I will have to concede that on OSU's last full possession, it was pretty physical down low on the initial shot, and the rebound with put back attempt....and no call was made.  That could have been a foul just as easily as it was a no call. 

BUT...put the shoe on the other foot, and if we don't get a call...the board is lit up with people complaining about it. 

I am not being critical of the officials on the whole, because I didn't see a huge disparity.  They called some touch fouls and a few that were closer to phantom fouls, but that isn't why we barely won the game. 

I am still befuddled by the replay, and why the overturned the Barford drive call.  I have no idea what they saw to make that call, which completely defeats the purpose of reviewing calls if they are going to be THAT bad. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2018, 11:37:30 pm
a 3rd party review is still going to be subjective. Should accountants review surgeons? Should a electrical engineer review dentists?

You are honestly trying to say refs reviewing refs is better?

Just look at yourself. Anyone criticizing a ref here gets jumped on by you because you ref.

Doctors are reviewed by 3rd parties. There are many companies that come in and audit medical records for accuracy, proper procedure, and how often certain drugs are prescribed. Not all the auditors are medical professionals.

Why are refs so special they can't be subjected to the same sort of review?

niels_boar

The delay in the Utah NCAAT game in order to determine whether the Utes had a 30-second timeout left probably saved Majerus' one run.  Miller was gassed.  As I recall, it took the refs five minutes to conclude that Utah could take a 30-second timeout instead of a full timeout.  Unbelievable.  CNR was rightly exasperated by the nonsense.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hogsanity

Quote from: niels_boar on January 30, 2018, 12:59:36 pm
The delay in the Utah NCAAT game in order to determine whether the Utes had a 30-second timeout left probably saved Majerus' one run.  Miller was gassed.  As I recall, it took the refs five minutes to conclude that Utah could take a 30-second timeout instead of a full timeout.  Unbelievable.  CNR was rightly exasperated by the nonsense.

Yep, I remember that, just simply stupid. Of course so is having timeouts of varying lengths. Just make them all 30 or all 45 or all 60 or all whatever.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2018, 12:47:47 pm
You are honestly trying to say refs reviewing refs is better?

Just look at yourself. Anyone criticizing a ref here gets jumped on by you because you ref.

Doctors are reviewed by 3rd parties. There are many companies that come in and audit medical records for accuracy, proper procedure, and how often certain drugs are prescribed. Not all the auditors are medical professionals.

Why are refs so special they can't be subjected to the same sort of review?

An audit is different. An audit comes in, well after the fact, and determines if the numbers ( or proceedures ) are correct. The auditors are not coming in and actually counting out pills or filling perscriptions. The are not reviewing surgeries as they are being performed.

I am talking about reviews during games. You can not have a 3rd party of non officials reviewing plays, sorry, you just can't. Now, if you want to try to have a 3rd part analyze games and say " hey, you called that a foul here but not there " ok maybe you can do that.