Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cheap stocks that pay great dividends.

Started by HiggiePiggy, April 01, 2017, 09:05:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

I have a couple that do great dividends and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on others that are less than 30.  I put 30 a week into stock to spend.

OXLC pays 60 cents a share every quarter.  Have had it for a year so far. It's selling at a little over 11 dollars.

BDCL pays over 70 cents. I have had it a year also and it is selling for a little over 21 a share.

CEFL pays an average of close to 22 cents a share every month.  It is selling for a little over 17 a month. 

I have others, but those are my best as far as how much they give per share. I was wondering if anyone had any good dividend stocks that were cheaper than 30 dollars. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ricepig

Annaly Capital Mgmt(NLY) pays 10.8%, the stock has been in the $10-11 range for about 4 years in a row.

HiggiePiggy

Thanks Ricepig.  I will be working on building that up starting Monday.

I can't wait until bills are paid off. Then I will have about 500 to 1000 to put in every month.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 01, 2017, 11:59:14 am
Thanks Ricepig.  I will be working on building that up starting Monday.

I can't wait until bills are paid off. Then I will have about 500 to 1000 to put in every month.

Well, it may tank, I think it actually hit the $9 range a few years ago, but I've been sticking some money in it, and a few other REIT stocks that pay 6% or more dividends, but they are higher priced stocks. It was a $16 stock in early 2013, I might not be as satisfied with it had I purchased it back then.

Vantage 8 dude

Know really nothing about OXLC, BDCL or CEFL other than what I can determine they are somehow linked to portfolios which include senior corporate debt. Just bear in mind that depending on the circumstances corporate debt can obviously work for or against you. The same with the latter two being TWICE leveraged to help produce some of the returns. As the old saying goes "buyer be (a)ware".

One other thing: my research source shows that last year OXLC earned about $1.14 a share; paid out dividends of $1.60. Not sure if that's accurate; however, if it's close then I would be curious as to where the additional 46c per share in income difference came from. The only place I could think of would be some type of retained earnings.

HawgWild

My best dividend payer is CNP, paying 3.89% at today's prices. The share price has risen 32% in the last year though. I've been accumulating this for 25+ years and DRIP the dividends.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on April 01, 2017, 03:45:54 pm
My best dividend payer is CNP, paying 3.89% at today's prices. The share price has risen 32% in the last year though. I've been accumulating this for 25+ years and DRIP the dividends.

Yeah, I've had it for awhile, too, but I remember when it was a $40+ stock, too, haha.

HawgWild

I first bought in when it was ARKLA. It cost $10 and paid a $1.50 annual dividend. I've bought it for as low as $4.50 and paying a $.04 dividend. I believe it's in better shape these days. ENRON really brought all these stocks down.

Vantage 8 dude

Simple observation: Often times a stock is cheap and pays a significantly above average yield for a reason.

CHELLO300

WIN (Windstream) pays 11.06%, $0.60 per share. Recently trading around $5.50

ricepig

Quote from: CHELLO300 on April 04, 2017, 07:48:18 pm
WIN (Windstream) pays 11.06%, $0.60 per share. Recently trading around $5.50

Recently a $10 priced stock about 6 months ago. I put $10,000 into this stock years ago, lol, between the dividends and the CSAL spin-off, I'm only down about 50%.

HawgWild

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 04, 2017, 03:58:26 pm
Simple observation: Often times a stock is cheap and pays a significantly above average yield for a reason.

A stock that pays out more than it earns is not a good sign.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgWild on April 09, 2017, 01:33:48 pm
A stock that pays out more than it earns is not a good sign.
Do tell; the problem is that so many want to jump at the yield without thoroughly vetting the entire finances of the company. This mistake is happening far more often than a lot of folks might think.