Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm 26 and just changed jobs, 15K to roll, looking for suggestions

Started by Cresthog, March 11, 2015, 09:30:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

I just changed jobs, looking to put the 15K somewhere.

My new job, I am maxed into Vanguard funds on both Roth and 401k. I've got some decent liquid savings, although that will probably vanish towards a ring in the next 2-3 years.

I'd like to do something different just to diversify more. I opened a USAA IRA account, its gives me 8.95 trades and they have some decent Mutuals, although a little more pricey than Vanguard. I was thinking about buying some dividend stocks and holding them or maybe some Energy SPDRs and holding them, although I think it's obvious oil isn't going to rebound like 2008.

What do you guys suggest? Philip Morris is really low right now? Apple is coming down, I might like that at 115, maybe some Pepsi and GE with healthcare/pharm stocks?

Any ideas would be much appreciated or should I just index it all if it's a long term thing?

HawgWild

Quote from: Cresthog on March 11, 2015, 09:30:51 am
Any ideas would be much appreciated or should I just index it all if it's a long term thing?

This.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Cresthog

snoblind

TheJoeyBucketz

If you think you have the knowledge and the time to handle the research that goes along with individual stock investing than go for it. Most people don't, though.

I would find 2-3 index ETF's that more or less hit the entire US equity arena and just let them ride.

At 26 years old you have almost 35 years before you can even touch the $$, so just pick a couple of solid funds and forget about em. When the market goes down make it a point to try to throw more at it. If you can make it a rule to not try to time the market and stay invested, and add to it when the market goes down you will be amazed at what that grows to.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

twistitup

ricepig

Plastic Vapor?? Truthfully, either do some solid homework, or get some ETF's, buy them and put them in a drawer and not worry about them.

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

LSUFan

One Word

Don't buy a huge ring in 2-3 years, buy a small - modest one, buy the biggin in 25 years, after she has earned it.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Arkansasbeaux

People can talk all they want about indexing. Look at a well allocated portfolio of American Funds, Franklin Templeton, or Invesco. While on a one year basis its about 50/50 as to those funds vs index in performance, over a longer period (15+ years), it's not even close. With index you get 100% of the upside and downside. Most active funds won't outperform the index in up years (although it does happen from time to time). However, QUALITY funds will substantially reduce the downside in most down years. So much so that it makes up for the slightly lower up years. This is a fact. Period. Unfortunately, there are garbage funds out there that give actively managed funds a bad rep as a whole. But look at the history of those three (there are a few others I use as well). So many people ONLY focus on fees and not what the actual COST is. As in opportunity cost. But some people are soooooo intent on index is the only way that they won't admit what I have just said is true. Feel free to look it up. Key word again is quality funds.

widespreadsooie

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Cresthog

You guys suck.

I split it up between a couple vanguard funds and some blue chips.

Doing the rest on penny stocks. Radar detectors!

widespreadsooie

Cresthog

twistitup

Quote from: Cresthog on March 14, 2015, 09:55:42 pm
You guys suck.

I split it up between a couple vanguard funds and some blue chips.

Doing the rest on penny stocks. Radar detectors!
I told you vapor!! Vape companies combine the best of two worlds - tobacco and pot....how can that go wrong? As more states legalize, 'healthy' vapor sales follow the growth trend.

Money

hog.goblin

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on March 11, 2015, 10:21:15 am
One word...plastics.

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. ... It's all ball bearings nowadays.

userpick

Quote from: LSUFan on March 11, 2015, 04:26:17 pm
One Word

Don't buy a huge ring in 2-3 years, buy a small - modest one, buy the biggin in 25 years, after she has earned it.

Best investment advice I've read on this board.