Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does an All-SEC Championship Game Make other Conferences Jealous?

Started by NuttinItUp, January 01, 2018, 10:41:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog of steele

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 02, 2018, 08:33:42 am
This is a very simple problem to fix if you don't like SEC football....get the team you support to win more. 

It's as simple as that.  Go out and put together a resume that includes a decade or more of top 10 recruiting classes and 4 National Championships.

In this sentence the difference between "simple" and "easy" is very large.

Bama is sucking the life out of the SEC. They should because they can. But having a virtually unbeatable team at the top makes all of the other schools less attractive to coaches and recruits. The solution is simple. Just beat Alabama and take the crown. But it is not at all easy.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:17:48 am
It is not a legal issue.

This is America.  Everything is a legal issue.  All it takes is for one person to think they may have possibly been treated unfairly.

JethroB.

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2018, 10:49:41 pm
That is all I am worried about. Glad other conference fans are pissed...

I've got a buddy that is a YUGE OU fan. He freakin hates that its going to be an SEC NC game.

Peter Porker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 08:39:52 am
The outcome of the first round of the play offs and two SEC teams going to the NCG isn't going to alter their recruiting results as far as we are concerned. In 2017 Alabama had the #1 class, Georgia had the #3 class. 2016-Alabama #1, Georgia #6. 2015-Alabama #1, Georgia #6. 2014-Alabama #1, Georgia #8.

Hiring Kirby Smart probably helped Georgia's recruiting more than anything else but they have still landed in the top 10 in recruiting in all but two years since the 2002 class and those two classes were top 12.

Now do that with Tennessee since 1998. It takes awhile, but eventually they stop recruiting at such a high level.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

latrops

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 01, 2018, 11:29:07 pm
Love the all sec title game!  It pisses the rest of college football off.  Some of our own hog fans hate it too

I hate Bama being there every freaking year.  Hope Georgia wins as I pull for anyone but Bama at this point.

Other conferences don't have an opinion.  Some fans hate it i am sure,  while others are satisfied that the best 2 teams are playing and don't really care what conferences are represented.

Some people care about conference and some don't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 02, 2018, 11:25:13 am
This is America.  Everything is a legal issue.  All it takes is for one person to think they may have possibly been treated unfairly.

Suing is one thing. It actually being a legal issue is another. People sue all the time over things that aren't a legal issue yet 99% of the time they are thrown out of court or never get that far.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:28:29 am
Suing is one thing. It actually being a legal issue is another. People sue all the time over things that aren't a legal issue yet 99% of the time they are thrown out of court or never get that far.

I don't know about the 99% number, and neither do you.  When a person gets sued it costs them worry, time, and money even if the suit is determined frivolous.  A lawsuit against an entity like the NCAA over something millions of people have an opinion on will get at the very  least a hearing.

lamont7906

Depends how you sell it, being an all SEC championship from time to come they just going to use the terminology that the SEC won the championship. The conference prestige only effect a small number of recruits but still that's one or two recruits you may turn just because of being in the conference alone.
Coaches have to pitch their sell, I mean telling recruits that the SEC put in more NFL talent than any other conference may change one recruit mind. All of those are small selling points that barley affects recruiting, but that one or two flips is still better than nothing. The biggest sell is the coach and how the player will fit into the program either to make it a winning program or keep it a winning program.

GoHogs1091

The fact that 2 teams from the same conference being in the title game may not be what is irking some people across the nation.

What may be irking some people across the nation is this is now the 2nd time that Alabama is in the title game with Alabama having not even made it to its Conference Championship game.

When you lose during a season should matter, and Alabama losing late in the season was basically just looked over/not considered in 2011 and again in 2017 (their loss to Auburn this season was even later in the season than their loss in 2011).

The above doesn't even take into account the fact that Alabama's schedule in 2017 was weak and that should have been considered in addition to the fact that Alabama lost very late in the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 02, 2018, 01:28:43 pm
The fact that 2 teams from the same conference being in the title game may not be what is irking some people across the nation.

What may be irking some people across the nation is this is now the 2nd time that Alabama is in the title game with Alabama having not even made it to its Conference Championship game.

When you lose during a season should matter, and Alabama losing late in the season was basically just looked over/not considered in 2011 and again in 2017 (their loss to Auburn this season was even later in the season than their loss in 2011).

The above doesn't even take into account the fact that Alabama's schedule in 2017 was weak and that should have been considered in addition to the fact that Alabama lost very late in the season.

So, let me see if I follow. A team that does not win their conf championship because they lose a conf game in, lets say, late Sept, should not be punished as much as one that loses a conf game in Nov, yet the outcome is the same, neither team win's their league? That makes no sense. You either win your league or you do not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RebelliousHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 02, 2018, 09:36:48 am
7 in a row? You sure Clark?

06 to 12
Fla
LSU
Fla
Bama
Aubie
Bama
Bama

I think that equals  7 , Kent
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

1highhog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 01, 2018, 10:48:20 pm
The SEC is down, except for the top. However, even one of the SEC's better teams, Auburn, lost to UCF today. The SEC has looked bad during bowl play.

It does piss a lot of people off, though, that the title game will be an SEC title game.

Other fans from other conferences are going nuts, and yes, the SEC is down a whole lot overall, the Bowl record for the Conference is dreadful this year, I hate Kentucky, especially in basketball, don't even think of them in football, however, they got hosed this year in their Bowl Game. 

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on January 02, 2018, 08:52:03 am
I doubt UCF would be undeafted if they were playing a P5 schedule, especially the SEC.

The overall record of all the teams they played was 74-72. They had the Memphis game cancelled, and it was the 2nd game of the season. Odds are they would have lost it. The GT and Maine games were cancelled too. Maine they prolly win. GT was down at 5-6 but it was an early game too, so who knows?

7 of the teams they played had a .500 or less record. Austin Peay had a winning record at 8-4 but they are an FCS team.

UCF had an easy schedule and a month to prepare for Aubie,  but they can hardly claim to be Natty material.

I doubt they'd be undefeated in a P5 schedule as well. However, IMO, any team that finishes the season undefeated has a legitimate argument to being the national champion. Especially when they defeated a team that won against both teams playing in the national championship.

The problem is that you can't say that UCF wouldn't have been able to win the playoffs. They probably would not have, but then, most wouldn't have expected them to beat Auburn either. Boise St few years back had a legitimately talented team with NFL pro bowl talent. They beat UGA early in the season.

This is the purpose that a playoff should serve. This year, we had 5 1-loss teams, 2 2-loss power 5 conference champions with strong resume's, and an undefeated team with a weaker, but unblemished resume. There's your 8 team playoff.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PORKULATOR

Like we're told every year in the West division... You don't like it, beat em... Do something about it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 02, 2018, 04:02:54 pm
I doubt they'd be undefeated in a P5 schedule as well. However, IMO, any team that finishes the season undefeated has a legitimate argument to being the national champion. Especially when they defeated a team that won against both teams playing in the national championship.

The problem is that you can't say that UCF wouldn't have been able to win the playoffs. They probably would not have, but then, most wouldn't have expected them to beat Auburn either. Boise St few years back had a legitimately talented team with NFL pro bowl talent. They beat UGA early in the season.

This is the purpose that a playoff should serve. This year, we had 5 1-loss teams, 2 2-loss power 5 conference champions with strong resume's, and an undefeated team with a weaker, but unblemished resume. There's your 8 team playoff.

I agree with the 8 team play off that "should" include anyone who could have a viable chance, "any given day" and all of that, to potentially compete for the NC being in that 8. The problem is that UCF was #12 in the play off rankings and #10 in the AP Coaches Poll. UCF still wouldn't have been included and despite the fact that they were undefeated, I'm not sure that they should have been considered. They are a great G-5 team but I'm not sure that they are great team in the P-5 ranks. I think Auburn just laid an egg.

I think it would be great if we had 8 teams for a P-5 play off, 8 for a G-5 play off and 8 for FCS as well as 8 for Div II and 8 for Div III. Those are the levels where a team plays ball and that is the level at which they should compete for their own NC. I'm pretty sure that UCF wouldn't have minded playing for a G-5 NC.
Go Hogs Go!

carolinahogger

Who cares whether 'other conferences' are jealous?  I'm a hog fan, not an SEC fan.  I had hoped that GA and Alabama would both lose so I wouldn't have to hear a full off-season of Razorback fans rationalizing our weak team.  "But we are in the strongest division/conference..."

jkstock04

Quote from: HenduHog on January 02, 2018, 03:46:01 pm

06 to 12
Fla
LSU
Fla
Bama
Aubie
Bama
Bama

I think that equals  7 , Kent

Gotcha...I thought you meant the past 7 years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

NuttinItUp

Quote from: latrops on January 02, 2018, 11:28:24 am
I hate Bama being there every freaking year.  Hope Georgia wins as I pull for anyone but Bama at this point.

I am kind of low-key rooting for Georgia as well, although I think Bama is the better team and will likely win.

IronHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 03, 2018, 08:57:13 am
I am kind of low-key rooting for Georgia as well, although I think Bama is the better team and will likely win.

If Ga's frosh QB can hold it together they have an advantage

Hurts isn't much QB if you can slow Bamas run game
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 08:59:13 am

If Ga's frosh QB can hold it together they have an advantage

Hurts isn't much QB if you can slow Bamas run game

A big "if".  Often Saban only needs for his QB to not do anything to get them beat and nothing else.  IMO the key is for UGA's QB to keep his composure, and UGA's defense to contain, not stop, Bama's run game.

hogsanity

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 04:18:17 pm
I agree with the 8 team play off that "should" include anyone who could have a viable chance, "any given day" and all of that, to potentially compete for the NC being in that 8. The problem is that UCF was #12 in the play off rankings and #10 in the AP Coaches Poll. UCF still wouldn't have been included and despite the fact that they were undefeated, I'm not sure that they should have been considered. They are a great G-5 team but I'm not sure that they are great team in the P-5 ranks. I think Auburn just laid an egg.

I think it would be great if we had 8 teams for a P-5 play off, 8 for a G-5 play off and 8 for FCS as well as 8 for Div II and 8 for Div III. Those are the levels where a team plays ball and that is the level at which they should compete for their own NC. I'm pretty sure that UCF wouldn't have minded playing for a G-5 NC.

FCS and lower already have 16 or more teams in their playoffs, so why cut them to 8? As for the rest of your last paragraph, I have wanted FBS cut into two divisions for a long time. Problem is the disparity in $ that would surely be associated with that. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: JethroB. on January 02, 2018, 11:25:15 am
I've got a buddy that is a YUGE OU fan. He freakin hates that its going to be an SEC NC game.
I grew up in OK. 2 of my buddies deactivated their Facebook account after the loss and 1 won't return any texts. They're taking the loss pretty hard. They did bring up our 4-8 record but when I touted the come from behind win to beat Coastal Carolina, they don't really have any more salt for the wound. 
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

Hoggish1

Just make the SEC champion the NC and let four teams play for No. 2

ChicoHog

LRRandy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 03, 2018, 12:15:05 pm
Just make the SEC champion the NC and let four teams play for No. 2
haha. That is funny, better yet. Just place Bama as champion and let the other teams across the country play for number 2.
This is fun, isn't it.

IronHog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 09:07:16 am
A big "if".  Often Saban only needs for his QB to not do anything to get them beat and nothing else.  IMO the key is for UGA's QB to keep his composure, and UGA's defense to contain, not stop, Bama's run game.

I look for Ga to be very aggressive vs the run/screen game and dare them to throw the ball vert.

IronHog

Peter Porker

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 12:39:51 pm

Yankee doesn't get it

It's not conference pride.....it's SEC football pride

He's an Auburn grad.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 03, 2018, 03:34:22 pm
He's an Auburn grad.
No, I'm an Arkansas grad.  I just don't subscribe to the "I love our conference because we are in it and the conference has 2 teams in the championship game" BS.  I like or dislike teams because of the teams, not the conferences in which they belong. 

Razorback_Mack

I don't know, but it makes me jealous as an Arkansas Razorback fan. I get no joy in having UGA or Alabama playing for a championship. It's means nothing to me. As a matter of fact, I hate it with a passion.

j-mann

calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

hogsanity

The Kig

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 09:07:16 am

This hasn't been true essentially since Greg McElroy was the QB.  They do try to minimize their risk due to Hurts not being a very accurate passer, but Saban recognized the need to score when necessary and made his deal with the devil to bring Kiffin in. 
Poker Porker

UABAlum

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 11:32:18 pm
Yep. They created playoff after Bama LSU CG so this wouldn't happen.

The ironic thing is, if we still had the BCS, we might not even have one SEC team in the game!   :)

Peter Porker

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 03, 2018, 09:29:21 pm
No, I'm an Arkansas grad.  I just don't subscribe to the "I love our conference because we are in it and the conference has 2 teams in the championship game" BS.  I like or dislike teams because of the teams, not the conferences in which they belong.

I was referring to the writer of the article, not you.

IronHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 03, 2018, 03:34:22 pm
He's an Auburn grad.

That's why Auburn is the one hated SEC school. 

I'm not an LSU or SC fan.  They still better beat ND and Mich though......SEC

Hogarusa

I dont think conferences have feelings.

I also will never understand why other SEC teams, like arkansas, claim SEC when its by and large all Saban and Bama doing the work. Thats like B1G schools claiming all the success of Urban at Ohio St. they arent, its ridonkulous and there's no way Michigan/Wiscy/Mich St etc fans are happy that Ohio St destroys others every year

Saban is 71-9 vs SEC since 2008. This isnt an SEC thing, the chant should be Saban-Saban-Saban
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Atlhogfan1

It's southern cultural thing that goes back well before Saban got to the SEC.  Explaining it would be similar to trying to explain why you are a Hog fan.  For many of us, it wasn't so much a choice but just what it is.  Southerners have long resented outsiders especially those in the upper Midwest and NE who have looked down up us.  In college football pre cable and internet, there was for decades a true eastern bias because that is where the media markets were.  Population hadn't shifted to Florida, Ga and the Carolinas.  Now we are unfortunatley overrun with those who destroyed their Rust Belt economies or are looking for better quality of life from the NE.  I pull for the SEC in almost all situations.  And when we are playing outsiders, SEC fans do the same for us across all sports.  When we make the CWS next time, SEC fans will pull for us unless we are playing their program.  I personally will also pull for programs like Clemson or FSU if they are playing Midwestern teams.  I can remember pulling for Bama when they played Penn St back in the 80s.  Or UGa vs Penn St.  It isn't something that started with this great run of SEC success.  Speaking of the run, it has been Bama lately but going back to Tenn's BCS championship, 5 SEC programs have won at least 1 NC.  UGa would make 6.  I enjoy this.  Hope we are 7.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: IronHog on January 04, 2018, 07:35:08 am
That's why Auburn is the one hated SEC school. 

I'm not an LSU or SC fan.  They still better beat ND and Mich though......SEC

So you're an SEC fan. That's different than a Razorback fan. To each their own.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 04, 2018, 08:58:56 am
It's southern cultural thing that goes back well before Saban got to the SEC.  Explaining it would be similar to trying to explain why you are a Hog fan.  For many of us, it wasn't so much a choice but just what it is.  Southerners have long resented outsiders especially those in the upper Midwest and NE who have looked down up us.  In college football pre cable and internet, there was for decades a true eastern bias because that is where the media markets were.  Population hadn't shifted to Florida, Ga and the Carolinas.  Now we are unfortunatley overrun with those who destroyed their Rust Belt economies or are looking for better quality of life from the NE.  I pull for the SEC in almost all situations.  And when we are playing outsiders, SEC fans do the same for us across all sports.  When we make the CWS next time, SEC fans will pull for us unless we are playing their program.  I personally will also pull for programs like Clemson or FSU if they are playing Midwestern teams.  I can remember pulling for Bama when they played Penn St back in the 80s.  Or UGa vs Penn St.  It isn't something that started with this great run of SEC success.  Speaking of the run, it has been Bama lately but going back to Tenn's BCS championship, 5 SEC programs have won at least 1 NC.  UGa would make 6.  I enjoy this.  Hope we are 7.

We won't be as long as Bama keeps winning. History says our best years are when Bama is down.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 04, 2018, 04:42:30 am
I was referring to the writer of the article, not you.
Oh!  My mistake!  thanks for the clarification. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: The Kig on January 04, 2018, 01:41:59 am
This hasn't been true essentially since Greg McElroy was the QB.  They do try to minimize their risk due to Hurts not being a very accurate passer, but Saban recognized the need to score when necessary and made his deal with the devil to bring Kiffin in. 

I said "often" not always.  Agree on Hurts.

LOL, Hurts will probably pass for 3 TD's and be named MVP.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 01, 2018, 10:48:20 pm
The SEC is down, except for the top. However, even one of the SEC's better teams, Auburn, lost to UCF today. The SEC has looked bad during bowl play.

It does piss a lot of people off, though, that the title game will be an SEC title game.

a 4 loss team, in my opinion, is not one of the "SEC's better teams".

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on January 04, 2018, 04:30:06 pm
a 4 loss team, in my opinion, is not one of the "SEC's better teams".
I guess the SEC only had two better teams by your standards. You made the guys point for him.

Razorback_Mack

Look, more propaganda.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 09:17:44 am
FCS and lower already have 16 or more teams in their playoffs, so why cut them to 8? As for the rest of your last paragraph, I have wanted FBS cut into two divisions for a long time. Problem is the disparity in $ that would surely be associated with that. 

I would prefer to see equality in terms of a play off across the board. That's the reason that I suggested 8 for all divisions of football. It's just my opinion but I don't think a 16 game play off is needed at any level. 8 is enough.
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

ChicoHog

I don't know how accurate your explanation is but I can believe it. I was born in the mid-west and lived in western PA from age 8-18 so maybe that's why I don't have a southern bias.  I always disliked the 3 Florida schools(UF, FSU and Miami) in the 70's and 80's mainly because they way the players behaved and acted but also because they were really good, especially in the 80's and beyond.  I always had a soft spot for Bama because of Bear Bryant and I loved watching the wishbone in the 70's (also liked OU but learned better later on!).  Went to Arkansas for college and of course we were in the SWC then so I despised Texas and grew up a big Notre Dame fan from my dad and that made me really hate USC.  As the years went by and into today's current climate I still root against the Florida schools and have added Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi, A&M, LSU to the dislike group but still root for Bama a little and I also like Saban.  I have no allegiance to any conferences but like and dislike teams based on my history, coaches, and rivals of teams I like or dislike. 

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 04, 2018, 06:22:31 pm
I would prefer to see equality in terms of a play off across the board. That's the reason that I suggested 8 for all divisions of football. It's just my opinion but I don't think a 16 game play off is needed at any level. 8 is enough.

The champions of each P5 conference and the next 3 most worthy candidates. Many in each conference would support their conference champs to win the NC.
To not include an entire conference, or conferences, diminish's the national appeal of college football.
The conferences left out of this years playoff may have enough stroke to initiate a change in the near future.

" GO HOGS "

Peter Porker

We are getting closer and closer to what the NFL has. Many are looking forward to it. Who else is looking forward to players resting the last week of the regular season for teams that have already won their division? Playoff folks are going to end up ruining college football.