Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tanaka will NOT be posted

Started by userpick, December 19, 2013, 04:18:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

userpick

According to Buster Olney. This will significantly drive up the price for Santana, Garza, and Jiminez. Will most likely make Shin-Soo-Choo a little more wealthy, also.

ucahogfan

Yep, this is the best possible news for the rest of the free agents.  With Tanaka off the market, I expect to see Santana, Garza, and Jimenez to all go quickly in the next couple of weeks for close to what they are expecting on getting.

ucahogfan

Tanaka was officially posted this morning.  The MLB team he signs with will have to pay his Japanese team $20 million for a posting fee.  Tanaka was expected to get around $120 million between the posting and contract so expect Tanaka to sign somewhere in the 6-7/100 type range.  This really sucks for the Rakuten Eagles as they were probably expecting a posting fee of like $60+ for Tanaka.

userpick

I'm sure they have worked out something with Tanaka to get a portion of his salary. I don't see any way where this guy doesn't become a Yankee. I think we will see a bidding war between them and the dodgers. My sleeper team(at least one that hasn't been mentioned much) is the Angels. Their pitching staff has been awful the past few years. They are getting big TV money. I think it's a possibility, but the Yankees make too much sense.

ucahogfan

Quote from: userpick on December 26, 2013, 11:27:25 am
I'm sure they have worked out something with Tanaka to get a portion of his salary. I don't see any way where this guy doesn't become a Yankee. I think we will see a bidding war between them and the dodgers. My sleeper team(at least one that hasn't been mentioned much) is the Angels. Their pitching staff has been awful the past few years. They are getting big TV money. I think it's a possibility, but the Yankees make too much sense.
Completely agree about the Yankees being his ultimate destination.  Although they have already spent like $500 million on free agents this offseason, they should still have cap room under the $189 million because they did not sign Cano and A-Rod will probably be suspended for the season.  That right there gives the Yanks like $60 million in cap space.

I agree that the Dodgers will also be in the bidding.  A 1-2-3 punch of Kershaw, Grienke, and Tanaka just wouldn't be fair and that doesn't factor in Ryu.  They just want to spend a ton of money and want an All-Star team.

Angels also sound like a logical destination.  They did add a couple of nice pieces to their rotation in the Trumbo trade, but need a proven arm just in case Skaggs doesn't cut it.

Dropkick

I think he's a Dodger when the dust clears

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

userpick

clutch

Quote from: Wildhog on December 30, 2013, 12:03:21 pm

I tried to post that from work a few days ago but it wouldn't let me. First thing that popped in my head for sure.