Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I like the GOBN....

Started by Tweeter, November 22, 2017, 08:17:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

It seems that when the GOBN is at it's peak we are always pretty good.  Don't understand some who always hate on the GOBN, when was the program good when the GOBN wasn't involved and don't say Petrino era.   He fell in Longs lap.

rtr

GOBN saved us from Grobe and were somewhat responsible for Petrino.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

MC_Hog

Quote from: Tweeter on November 22, 2017, 08:17:10 am
It seems that when the GOBN is at it's peak we are always pretty good.  Don't understand some who always hate on the GOBN, when was the program good when the GOBN wasn't involved and don't say Petrino era.   He fell in Longs lap.

I remember them being in charge & we couldn't even hire a good basketball coach. You had 3 groups of people fighting.....I never want to see that again. The Texas GOBN is why they haven't won in years because they are still hung up in the past & now Texas is a has been.  If this is true about the GOBN I'm not sure I will be a Razorback Fan. This is going to turn out bad.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 22, 2017, 08:46:59 am
I remember them being in charge & we couldn't even hire a good basketball coach. You had 3 groups of people fighting.....I never want to see that again. The Texas GOBN is why they haven't won in years because they are still hung up in the past & now Texas is a has been.  If this is true about the GOBN I'm not sure I will be a Razorback Fan. This is going to turn out bad.

Because it's been so much better under Johnelle and Bielema.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Tweeter

Really?   Broyels had Self ready to come but White put a stop to that.   

Simple Swineman

Hate to break it to you, but every school has a GOBN that runs things. Gus has realized that the Auburn GOBN is waaaay more dysfunctional than the Arkansas GOBN.

Tony Perkis

Was thinking this exact same thing the other day. Seems like we were much better off with the GOBN.

WilsonHog

Near as I can tell, "GOBN" is comprised of successful, wealthy, educated men who have power and influence. Those seem to me to be desirable qualities.

ricepig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:01:39 am
Near as I can tell, "GOBN" is comprised of successful, wealthy, educated men who have power and influence. Those seem to me to be desirable qualities.

Yes it is, but they also tend to think their, as in individual, line of thinking is best. Sometimes you need a lion tamer to keep them in their places, but he usually gets eaten in the end.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 08:56:57 am
Was thinking this exact same thing the other day. Seems like we were much better off with the GOBN.

yet so many here whined for years about wanting it gone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 09:06:36 am

Yes it is, but they also tend to think their, as in individual, line of thinking is best. Sometimes you need a lion tamer to keep them in their places, but he usually gets eaten in the end.

The thing I find curious is when some posters lament the GOBN...right up until they need those folks to step up and get stuff done. Then it's, "I don't understand why this guy won't just step up and write a check!"

bphi11ips

Quote from: Tweeter on November 22, 2017, 08:50:48 am
Really?   Broyels had Self ready to come but White put a stop to that.   

Same with Tubberville.  It's been amateur hour in administration for 20 years.  White stripped Broyles of any real power when he appointed the search committee to replace Ford.

Academics are politicians who generally don't know a football from a grapefruit.  Many see college athletics as the enemy draining precious resources from academics.  They resent that athletics are the front porch of the institution and that coaches make a multiple of their own salaries.  Given the opportunity, they will sabotage athletics - consciously or unconsciously.  That is why all successful college athletic programs have a GOBN.  One is needed to counter the academicians.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ShadowTheHedgehog

The gobn is not a bad thing nut there has to be some checks and balances to keep all the big egos in line. A gobn that works closely with the ad and the bot would be the best.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 22, 2017, 09:16:45 am
The gobn is not a bad thing nut there has to be some checks and balances to keep all the big egos in line. A gobn that works closely with the ad and the bot would be the best.

Yes, I live in that Pollyanna world, too......but it would be nice.

Matt Burks

There should always be checks and balances. The GOBN serves the Razorbacks well, but there should always be someone to keep them from having too much power. I just hope we don't have a yes man AD.

bvillepig

The issue with the basketball hiring was not the GOBN.  It was John White.

a0ashle

Having money does not automatically mean you are smart and that you will be equally successful in everything you do.

HF#1

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 09:22:47 am
Having money does not automatically mean you are smart and that you will be equally successful in everything you do.

But these folks are smart.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 22, 2017, 09:20:18 am
There should always be checks and balances. The GOBN serves the Razorbacks well, but there should always be someone to keep them from having too much power. I just hope we don't have a yes man AD.
I think there are checks and balances within. Surely they all don't have the same opinion on every Razorback related matter.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:11:40 am
The thing I find curious is when some posters lament the GOBN...right up until they need those folks to step up and get stuff done. Then it's, "I don't understand why this guy won't just step up and write a check!"

That's a fans job, to question, blame and have perfect 20/20 hindsight... as for "our" GOBN, they've been great often, and not so great a few times.. but we are so lucky to have our set of GOBN's because of their immense wealth...without it, we'd be at a much lower level on the food chain... both school and athletics... 

Tony Perkis

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 09:22:47 am
But it's usually the reason you have money and are successful in everything you do.

a0ashle

Captain Morgan

Petrino is a bad human being and we knew that when we signed him. He can't beat Wake Forest or Boston College with the Heisman trophy winner ,He's now a loser that isn't missed at all.

bphi11ips

At least our GOBN is an oligarchy of football guys, decent guys most of them.  Tennessee has a GOBN of one.  No checks and balances anywhere.

longtimeHogfan

I support the GOBN 100% when their decisions agree with mine and they align themselves philosophically with me.  Any deviation from what I describe as 'accepted behavior' and it's probably not a good idea.   ;) 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

davehog

This. I don't understand the negative connotation associated with the GOBN, at least not at Arkansas. Now, we have experienced had the negative of the GOBN, as well. 

The reason we got stuck with HDN was a certain member of the GOBN had too loud a voice and not enough vision. There were others from the GOBN during that time that wanted Butch Davis, which I think we can all agree would have been better for the program in the long run.  HDN should have gotten on that plane to Nebraska.  Both HDN & Arkansas would have been better off had he done that. 

Alienating wealthy boosters in the name of change/progressive action is what did JL in.  Arkansas needs these successful, wealthy individuals to feel connected to the program.     

a0ashle

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 09:24:08 am
But it's usually the reason you have money and are successful in everything you do.

No, there are lots of reasons and even being smart in one area doesn't mean you know other areas.

No one here knows any rich dumbasses who aside from the one thing they are rich for, couldn't find their A$$ with both hands?

Dominicanhog

I just hope we don't have a yes man AD.

When push comes to shove, they are all yes men... or they get fired w/o cause and paid severance....

dfwalumdad

well i much prefer the GOBN to the DTSN (disinterested third party stranger network) that seems to be running the show now.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

NaturalStateReb

"Don't quote any evidence that contradicts my point."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 22, 2017, 09:25:17 am
Petrino is a bad human being and we knew that when we signed him. He can't beat Wake Forest or Boston College with the Heisman trophy winner ,He's now a loser that isn't missed at all.

I miss him... and that loser has a chance at 9-4 this year... did that make you feel better?

DoctorSusscrofa

They are desirable qualities. However, those aren't their only qualities.  If they had only those qualities almost everybody would accept it. But people aren't pure metal.  They're alloys.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 22, 2017, 09:26:17 am
I support the GOBN 100% when their decisions agree with mine and they align themselves philosophically with me.  Any deviation from what I describe as 'accepted behavior' and it's probably not a good idea.   ;)

That's why you're brilliant.

snoblind

These folks expect them to write the big checks and keep quiet otherwise. 

a0ashle

I worry that GOBN influence will cause us to become a dirty program...if we start recruiting dirty or covering up assaults by players, I'm done. I am not dillusional enough to think I'll be missed, but I'd walk away all the same.

bphi11ips

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 09:32:36 am
They are desirable qualities. However, those aren't their only qualities.  If they had only those qualities almost everybody would accept it. But people are pure metal.  They're alloys.

Bill Murray prefers the term "mutts".

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 09:23:13 am
But these folks are smart.

I'd be a lot smarter if I inherited millions, lol....

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: rtr on November 22, 2017, 08:29:54 am
GOBN saved us from Grobe and were somewhat responsible for Petrino.

If you throw in Jerry's name, and that's what I've heard almost from day one, then the GOBN was more than "somewhat" responsible; they were directly responsible for Petrino being hired.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 09:36:54 am

How smart would you be if it was Billions?

1highhog

Bye.

ricepig

a0ashle

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 22, 2017, 09:41:20 am
How smart would you be if it was Billions?

He could be president...

ricepig

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 09:43:24 am
He could be president...
I like that, President Ricepig, it has a nice ring to it......

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 09:36:10 am
I worry that GOBN influence will cause us to become a dirty program...if we start recruiting dirty or covering up assaults by players, I'm done. I am not dillusional enough to think I'll be missed, but I'd walk away all the same.

When did Arkansas ever do any of this?  Players at 18 to 22 generally will make mistakes.  That doesn't necessarily make them criminals.  And other than Broyles' buddy in Dallas paying players for not working, I can't remember the program ever being sanctioned by the NCAA.

You need to relax.  Things will be just fine.

a0ashle

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 22, 2017, 09:47:03 am
When did Arkansas ever do any of this?  Players at 18 to 22 generally will make mistakes.  That doesn't necessarily make them criminals.  And other than Broyles' buddy in Dallas paying players for not working, I can't remember the program ever being sanctioned by the NCAA.

You need to relax.  Things will be just fine.

GOBNs all over the country do this, but I guess ours is just more pure. Reality is when you have a network of boosters heavily involved in the program, sometimes Football gets valued higher then ethics... I'm not saying it will happen, but it's happened enough that if you aren't worried about, you should be.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 09:36:54 am

I'm not real sure about that, but I do think you're likely to be right.  ;)

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 09:44:57 am
I like that, President Ricepig, it has a nice ring to it......

Well, since you've announced your running, what is your position on a couple issues.. national debt, federal spending, insurance, abortion, immigration, climate change, Brexit, North Korea, Iran, Irag, Syria, Merkel, NFL standing, sitting, not singing, NBA, cost of ownership for a professional team, should Texas succeed from the US, should Cantalon succeed from Spain, Greek debt, farm subsidies, ethanol subsidies, child subsidies, illegal substitutions, ... and anything you may want add...

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 22, 2017, 09:57:13 am
Well, since you've announced your running, what is your position on a couple issues.. national debt, federal spending, insurance, abortion, immigration, climate change, Brexit, North Korea, Iran, Irag, Syria, Merkel, NFL standing, sitting, not singing, NBA, cost of ownership for a professional team, should Texas succeed from the US, should Cantalon succeed from Spain, Greek debt, farm subsidies, ethanol subsidies, child subsidies, illegal substitutions, ... and anything you may want add...

He'd pretty much have to be a step up.