Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 08:39:21 pm
Dick Vermeil did and he Asst he will hire will not have been

That was in the NFL not SEC. In 1997... for heavens sake.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hog N Bama

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 29, 2017, 04:26:25 pm
They can try to get Gary Patterson, but they probably won't get him.

It has been rumored that Patterson has been promised a mineral right to a shale if he stays at TCU.  It is rumored that the mineral right is worth $20 million.

If true, really no other school can compete with a one-time payout of $20 million.
don't they ever run out of oil in TX? When o when will the well run dry🙁

King Kong

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 29, 2017, 08:44:19 pm
That was in the NFL not SEC. In 1997... for heavens sake.

And the game is more simple now than ever. Teams are running the read option 20 times a game. Very easy to teach

BigoBoys

King Kong

Quote from: BigoBoys on October 29, 2017, 08:46:15 pm
Gruden is not going to coach college football.

I think this is likely. But if he did he would be a rock star

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 08:46:14 pm
And he game is more simple now than ever. Teams are running the read option 20 times a game. Very easy to teach

So Dick Vermeil coming out of a 15 year retirement, means Jon Gruden will be a success at Tennessee? I see.

hog.goblin

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 08:42:00 pm
Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

Harbaugh 10-3 10-3 currently 6-2

I repeated what was said on the radio a few days ago (ESPNu).  Must have been conference record.  Both started 6 - 2 each year.  That's cherry picked.  Probably something Rick Neuheisel said.

King Kong

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 29, 2017, 08:47:25 pm
So Dick Vermeil coming out of a 15 year retirement, means Jon Gruden will be a success at Tennessee? I see.

It means a coach with a long layoff can still have success. Which your post seemed to imply couldn't happen

forrest city joe

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 29, 2017, 04:14:12 pm
and they are considering CBP.........Wow.....the carousel is beginning to spin...

"As reported by The Read Optional's Oliver Connolly and Trey Wallace, Tennessee officials have offered the Super Bowl-winning coach "over $10 million a year" to lead the Volunteers. Connolly and Wallace also report the Vols are eyeing TCU's Gary Patterson, Louisville's Bobby Petrino and Purdue's Jeff Brohm."
TN is tired of losing. they will spend whatever  it takes to get a Big time coach and win.some schools still care about winning.

Hog N Bama

SavageOrangeJug

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 29, 2017, 05:19:50 pm
I hope they get Gruden and leave the talented pool of up and comers alone.
We don't want any more "up and comers".

Derek Dooley was an up and comer from the Saban coaching tree.

Butch Jones won the Big East championship, a Liberty Bowl victory, and was named Big East Coach of the Year. He was an up and comer.

hog.goblin

Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 29, 2017, 08:47:56 pm
I repeated what was said on the radio a few days ago (ESPNu).  Must have been conference record.  Both started 6 - 2 each year.  That's cherry picked.  Probably something Rick Neuheisel said.

Actually Rick was right when he said it.  They both started out 24 - 7

Sowlamander

I think Gruden coaches again at some point. But, it'll be in the NFL.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Sowlamander on October 29, 2017, 08:55:47 pm
I think Gruden coaches again at some point. But, it'll be in the NFL.

NFL seems to be going the way of ESPN.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hog.goblin

Not good at Math?

Hoke 11-2 8-5 7-6

Both also started 25 - 8, so take your pick, the math is just fine

lilredheadedlady

If Petrino goes to Tenner or Florida, we are screwed. He will break it off in us.
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

greasy_corner

I hope they do hire him.  A school who's star has faded faster than a brett smith post route, and who has to maintain one of the nation's largest recruiting budget just to have the candy-assed kids cheered on by a bunch of inbred orange popsicles.  It's a match made in heaven.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: lilredheadedlady on October 29, 2017, 09:00:38 pm
If Petrino goes to Tenner or Florida, we are screwed. He will break it off in us.

How often do we play Florida & Tennessee?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 08:48:38 pm
It means a coach with a long layoff can still have success. Which your post seemed to imply couldn't happen

Again...I never said that. Stop assuming and stop comparing apples to oranges(NFL vs College)

gawntrail

go hogues

I'd rather he be there than Ole Miss or A&M
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

247Hog

I hope Tenn is stupid enough to pay a coach $10 mil. That would be stupid for a coach that hasn't coached College.

I'm probably in the minority but i see Tenn and Florida looking for coaches as a good thing. Both are in the East, both are down but could eventually level out the SEC like Georgia is doing to Bama.

Georgia looks like the most close to replicate a Bama ive seen.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

texas tush hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 29, 2017, 04:26:25 pm
They can try to get Gary Patterson, but they probably won't get him.

It has been rumored that Patterson has been promised a mineral right to a shale if he stays at TCU.  It is rumored that the mineral right is worth $20 million.

If true, really no other school can compete with a one-time payout of $20 million.

It actually could be more than that. The Gary Patterson Foundation could be worth more than that, with him and his wife's family controlling it. Patterson will die in Fort Worth ala Frank Broyles.

jcbville

jcbville

We don't play them enough for it to matter near that much. Also BP hasnt really been breaking it off in anyone in the ACC. He needs to use his genius more.

Hogaholics Anonymous

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 29, 2017, 08:41:38 pm
I was merely stating that he won a Super Bowl with a team Tony Dungy had built. After that, he didn't have nearly as much success. He hasn't coached in nearly a decade. He has never had to recruit to the level he would have to now.
He's popular because he is charismatic on TV and is very knowledgeable of the game. But that it is a whole different ball game than being a head coach in the SEC. I just don't believe he is the savior that many seem to think.

To be fair the team he played in the Super Bowl was the team he was at the year before. He had a hand in building that team that won the AFC.  You may be right and he wouldn't be a good college coach, we may never really know, but I don't think you can cheapen his Super Bowl win.

hogsanity

WTH is the fascination with Gruden? He has not coached a game, anywhere, in 8 seasons, and has not held a job in college in more than 2 decades.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 09:05:24 am
WTH is the fascination with Gruden? He has not coached a game, anywhere, in 8 seasons, and has not held a job in college in more than 2 decades.

shhhh  let someone else hire him
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 29, 2017, 08:49:13 pm
TN is tired of losing. they will spend whatever  it takes to get a Big time coach and win.some schools still care about winning.

Umm, Brohm is not a big time coach. Gruden has not coached ANYWHERE in 8 years and has not held a college job in over 20. Patterson is not leaving FW, and BP, yep tearing it up in the ACC, lol.  From the report you quoted, TN is not even looking at the best college coach in the state of TN.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 08:29:04 pm
He won a SB and had .500 career as a HC in the NFL. His coaching kicks the crap out of Saban, Petrino and Pete Carrol (first round) in the NFL.

Recruit would line up for him. The watch him on Monday night football and his QB draft show.

It's a similar affect to a TV helping make someone President

The last TV guy we hired as a head coach didn't quite work out so well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

It's hard to imagine Gruden taking any coaching job when he can make millions for basically just sitting on a stool in front of a camera.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

razorpimp

Apparently Gruden is the frontrunner to getting the Tennessee job per Vegas odds....

Gruden - +175
Chip Kelly - +450
Jeff Brohm - +600
Bobby P - +600

For reference they got Peyton Manning at +10,000

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorpimp on November 03, 2017, 04:20:08 pm
Apparently Gruden is the frontrunner to getting the Tennessee job per Vegas odds....

Gruden - +175
Chip Kelly - +450
Jeff Brohm - +600
Bobby P - +600

For reference they got Peyton Manning at +10,000
Well remember Vegas will bet on anything or anyone as long as someone's foolish enough to lay down the cash.

widespreadsooie

I saw him playing checkers in an orange tie at a Chattanooga Cracker Barrel last week. 

hog of steele

I don't understand these numbers. What do I get if I bet $1 on manning and he is the guy?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hog of steele on November 03, 2017, 10:46:50 pm
I don't understand these numbers. What do I get if I bet $1 on manning and he is the guy?
$100
all bets you see are based off a $100 wager, so betting $100 on Manning would get you $10,000. So, divide $10,000/$100=$100. So, $1x$100=$100. If you bet $10x$100=$1000. Hope that helps!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

holeinthewall

Why would any program want a guy that hasn't coached in a decade has almost no college coaching experience and has almost no experience at the college level with recruiting.  Oh yeah because he won a Super Bowl that was handed to him by the former staff.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hog of steele

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 04, 2017, 12:17:11 am
$100
all bets you see are based off a $100 wager, so betting $100 on Manning would get you $10,000. So, divide $10,000/$100=$100. So, $1x$100=$100. If you bet $10x$100=$1000. Hope that helps!

Thanks. Very helpful.

Captain Morgan

Would be a failure in college football

Hawginj

King Kong

Kids everywhere would line up to play for him. He would not fail.

BrickTwnHog

Quote from: King Kong on November 11, 2017, 04:53:36 pm

maybe. I'm not so sure though

duckman

I had never.considered him an option...

Ironhawg

Has not coached since 2008. 

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: duckman on November 11, 2017, 09:00:44 pm
I had never.considered him an option...

You mean since Bielema was hired?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

jbcarol

QuoteBring on the #Grumors.

Tennessee finally pulled the plug on Butch Jones Sunday after a disastrous 50-17 loss to Missouri. Jones recruited well during his five years at Tennessee but never capitalized on a down SEC East and didn't endear himself to the Vols fanbase with hokey sayings like "Champions of Life."

Now, the attention turns to "Monday Night Football" analyst Jon Gruden, long the object of Tennessee fan affection. Gruden, who won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, pops up every time Tennessee has a job opening, and this year is no different. With Jones officially out, expect the Gruden rumors to be in full force.

Why is Gruden so associated with Tennessee openings? Fans usually point to the fact he previously worked as a Tennessee graduate assistant, his wife, Cindy, is a former Tennessee cheerleader and he has a son who is currently a student at UT. The rumors picked up steam in October when he visited his son and attended the Tennessee-South Carolina game.

It's more than that, though.

Gruden previously told school administrators that Tennessee is one of only three college jobs he'd ever take...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Captain Morgan

Quote from: SpaHog1986 on November 11, 2017, 08:45:13 pm
maybe. I'm not so sure though

Gruden is just going to easily be able to deal with boosters and diva high school coaches when he hasn't coached for a decade?

Ask Lovie Smith how hard the workload in college is... And he's in the mid major B1G west division

Doyle Hograves

Duckman - any insight you can provide?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

clutch

Quote from: King Kong on November 11, 2017, 04:53:36 pm

I don't think they would. I coach high school football and 90% of my kids have no clue who he is.