Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Herbert to Michigan?

Started by checkraiser88, December 27, 2017, 05:11:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greasy_corner

One less worthless assistant coach we have to buyout.  Good for us.  Let him make MI worse.

King Kong

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 27, 2017, 09:22:21 pm
May not deserve all the blame but he deserves some for sure. Guys got heavier and slower under Herbert.

I would argue the players were slow when they got here

IronMountainHog

I watched the Arkansas offensive line and defensive line get pushed around by...hold on now...Coastal Carolina. If THIS doesn't tell you Hebert sucked, there's no helping you.

checkraiser88

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 27, 2017, 10:03:45 pm
I watched the Arkansas offensive line and defensive line get pushed around by...hold on now...Coastal Carolina. If THIS doesn't tell you Hebert sucked, there's no helping you.

The dude sucked, remember all those preseason hype videos of players lifting cars and crap? He's using that to his advantage, too bad that didn't translate to speed

Hawgphish

Rocky got ready for Drago by chasing chickens. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 27, 2017, 10:03:45 pm

Odd how that offensive line was pushing SEC defenses around when Pittman was the coach with that same S&C coach

Maybe our coaches sucked, both at coaching and recruiting

Scott7703

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 10:00:00 pm
I would argue the players were slow when they got here

What is the strength and conditioning program setup to do? Stronger? Faster? Quicker? What else? The one we've had did nothing.

IronMountainHog

His development with BiJon Jackson was phenomenal. He got fatter and weaker all four years. When he got one one knee and proposed prior to the Missouri game, I was wondering if he was gonna be able to get back up. I'm not being mean, but that was the first time I noticed this year just how Out of shape he looked.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The Transformer going to work
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

King Kong

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 27, 2017, 10:08:34 pm

What is the strength and conditioning program setup to do? Stronger? Faster? Quicker? What else? The one we've had did nothing.

I'm saying they did get faster and quicker. But if they aren't at an elite level prior you can work all day and not be able to show a difference against real Athletes like the SEC.

A great cook is still only as good as his ingredients

bennyl08

We put a lot more players into the NFL than recruiting should have had us doing. Either Bielema and staff were much better recruiters than they often get credit for or our player development including S&C is better than they are getting credit for.

Can't have it both ways.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 28, 2017, 03:57:34 am
We put a lot more players into the NFL than recruiting should have had us doing. Either Bielema and staff were much better recruiters than they often get credit for or our player development including S&C is better than they are getting credit for.

Can't have it both ways.

Problem was we didn't win squat with all that extra talent

twistitup

Can't have it both ways.

CBB lacks the ability to retain a staff or team identity.

Def a problem w management style...Georgia is a good example of what CBB came in with...but something is there that coaches don't like- so they bailed and we get castaways from CMU
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Iwastherein1969

great....Hey Wolverine fans, get ready for an ish load of "before and after" pics of the players....I can guarantee you that it won't help your team win, but at least the local sales of Smuckers jelly will skyrocket.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 27, 2017, 10:06:41 pm

Drago in Rocky IV? Wasn't it in Rocky II, when Balboa was training for the rematch against Apollo Creed?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 27, 2017, 05:34:04 pm
I think you are wrong. Herbert did what Bielema wanted done.

I completely agree with you until I hear something different.  Herb works for his head coach and follows orders.  If CBB wants them bigger and stronger and lifting 800 lb squats that is a head coaching decision and the S&C coach will design a program to get that done.  If CCM wants them to be light on their feet and agile then the S&C coach will design a program to do that.    It is what the HC wants.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 27, 2017, 10:07:35 pm
Odd how that offensive line was pushing SEC defenses around when Pittman was the coach with that same S&C coach

Maybe our coaches sucked, both at coaching and recruiting

That's common sense.  That's in short supply when it comes to MMQB.

buldozer

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 27, 2017, 10:08:34 pm

Yea he did something.... he got about three dozen players broken feet during his run! Good luck to MI, they better order some boots and scooters for all their injured players going forward.

IronHog

Can't have it both ways.

Kirkland and Collins having to get in shape after they got there isn't a ringing endorsement

BPs recruits always overperformed recruiting rankings.  BB gets no credit for that
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 10:31:42 pm
I'm saying they did get faster and quicker. But if they aren't at an elite level prior you can work all day and not be able to show a difference against real Athletes like the SEC.

Just stop

They took a 270lbs tilt nose and got him so fat he couldn't t get in his stance

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 09:48:51 am

Just stop

I just realized that you are an expert on everything...........................at least in your mind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 09:48:51 am

Just stop

Your arguement is T Johnson? Who's next best offer was what? Arizona? Boise?

Not to mention his tackle number remained almost identical his final 3 seasons

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 28, 2017, 12:43:17 pm
I just realized that you are an expert on everything...........................at least in your mind.

Doesn't take an expert to see they took an effective player and made him an overbulked blob.

IronHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 28, 2017, 12:47:36 pm
Your arguement is T Johnson? Who's next best offer was what? Arizona? Boise?

Not to mention his tackle number remained almost identical his final 3 seasons

Nah he's just among the most glaring

They had NFLers like Collins, Tretola, and Kirkland play woefully under conditioned as well

justmakeit2thebcs

rude1

Great Mi. will look like body builders and run like them too, like we have for 5 seasons.

Scott7703

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 10:31:42 pm

I don't remember one kid who improved in any area in the strength and conditioning area of the program. I also know others who are very close to the situation who say he was the most overpaid person on staff. Pretty tough title when your being compared to bielema.

hogginbama

Quote from: elksnort on December 27, 2017, 05:39:37 pm
It's interesting when he first became the strength and conditioning coach at Arkansas, he was like the greatest thing since sliced bread according to hogville.

Now you have been around here long enough to know these guys will turn on their mother if they think it will upgrade their standing on Hogville.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

HF#1

They will see an increase in broken feet.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

AirWarren

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 01:03:21 pm

They had NFLers like Collins, Tretola, and Kirkland play woefully under conditioned as well

I saw Collins for the first time last weekend on TV. He has really slimmed up and is quicker.

sigh...

bennyl08

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 01:03:21 pm

So, Tretola coming in at 376 and crediting Herbert for getting him down to 320 pounds is Herbert not having him conditioned?

Collins being one of only a few backs to run for 1k yards each of his first 3 seasons is all in spite of his shape? I suppose you think he should be as fast against SEC defenders as he was against HS players, right? His NFL shape was him getting back into the same shape that Herbert had him at. Collins tried to bulk up for the NFL.

Kirkland was so out of shape that he was named to the pre-season all american list his final year here and went to the combine that year.

If that's out of shape, then I guess you think we should have been able to win a national championship with the players we had and gone down as one of the most talented teams in the history of the game if we had a "proper" S&C coach. SMH.

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 09:46:09 am
Kirkland and Collins having to get in shape after they got there isn't a ringing endorsement

BPs recruits always overperformed recruiting rankings.  BB gets no credit for that

When the shape that Kirkland and Collins got into was the same shape that Herbert had them at here, then it kind of is. When the only reason they weren't at ideal weight was because of what they did AFTER they left Herbert, and their improvement in the NFL is going back to what worked with Herbert, that is a ringing endorsement.

CBB's draft picks were primarily his own recruits and guys who were never coached a day by Petrino.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LZH

Quote from: AP85 on December 28, 2017, 01:42:50 pm
I saw Collins for the first time last weekend on TV. He has really slimmed up and is quicker.

sigh...

Isn't he playing for Jim Harbaugh's little brother? Ironic.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: presidenthog on December 28, 2017, 05:11:16 am
Problem was we didn't win squat with all that extra talent

Did we win the clean and jerk?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogginbama on December 28, 2017, 01:37:12 pm
Now you have been around here long enough to know these guys will turn on their mother if they think it will upgrade their standing on Hogville.

I'm amazed that anyone doesn't understand this simple concept. When a new hire is made most people have hope. Of course we are going to think they are great. Over time the results speak for themselves.

It's like if I told you, "but you told me that girlfriend of yours was perfect!   Now you are breaking up with her?  You are so stupid."

No, it's just you got to know her and she isn't everything you thought she was. You have more information now.

So I don't get the superior attitude with you guys.  Yes the  new girl is always better than the last one...until she isn't.

Retired Radio Host

tbhogfan

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 05:28:12 pm
Herb was never the problem here
Strength:  Ability of OL to move the line of scrimmage forward.
Conditioning: Ability to not collapse in multiple second halves.

Who was in charge of those two aspects?  Hint:  the strength and conditioning coach.
Go Hogs!

bennyl08

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 28, 2017, 02:04:00 pm
I'm amazed that anyone doesn't understand this simple concept. When a new hire is made most people have hope. Of course we are going to think they are great. Over time the results speak for themselves.

It's like if I told you, "but you told me that girlfriend of yours was perfect!   Now you are breaking up with her?  You are so stupid."

No, it's just you got to know her and she isn't everything you thought she was. You have more information now.

So I don't get the superior attitude with you guys.  Yes the  new girl is always better than the last one...until she isn't.

Dear god I hope you don't treat relationships in real life like that. We're not talking about merely being hopeful and excited about a new coach. Talking about how the the previous coaches are talked about as if they were terrible and how the new coaches are the best thing since sliced bread, with virtually every single coach.

You shouldn't think somebody out there is the best person in the world just because they agreed to go on a date with you, and especially not before you've even had a first date. Further, if you think all of your ex's were terrible people, then the one common denominator that they all share is ... you.

Maybe if you are like 15 or something that level of immaturity is acceptable. Otherwise, you shouldn't think somebody is the best until they've given you reason to think so, and you shouldn't be dating people if they are the worst person. If you have spent enough time with them to really development an attachment, that's enough time to know if they are a bad person.

It's the idea that you have to belittle your ex's (coaches or relationships) in order to feel better about moving forward without them that is an immature and poisonous mentality balanced by putting your new coach/relationship on a pedestal setting up unrealistic expectations moving forward. This type of mentality is very pervasive on hogville.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: King Kong on December 27, 2017, 09:14:47 pm
Stronger man than I. It's sucked when I was there

As I said I admit it was a mild winter. Still had a lot of snow but I like snow. Fun to play on.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: tbhogfan on December 28, 2017, 02:08:21 pm
Strength:  Ability of OL to move the line of scrimmage forward.
Conditioning: Ability to not collapse in multiple second halves.

Who was in charge of those two aspects?  Hint:  the strength and conditioning coach.

Again when Pittman was here they pushed ppl around just fine. So coaching.

Folding in the second half? Half time adjustments? Name one game where we changed something in the second half.

Any game in the Bielema era

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 28, 2017, 01:36:42 pm

I don't remember one kid who improved in any area in the strength and conditioning area of the program. I also know others who are very close to the situation who say he was the most overpaid person on staff. Pretty tough title when your being compared to bielema.
Kiero Small, Tretola, Ragnow, Jonathan Williams, Drew Morgan and AJ Derby were probably the most noticeable in football pads

I'm not even someone that Believes Herbert is great. But honestly all S&C coaches are basically equal

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: IronHog on December 27, 2017, 05:54:11 pm

Petrino's guy was very, very good

Bobby Petrino's crap didn't stink, either.  OMZ, he's the greatest coach to ever have lived! 

rtr

A lot of zombie Bielmers and Jeffies fighting a rear guard action. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 28, 2017, 02:32:11 pm
Dear god I hope you don't treat relationships in real life like that. We're not talking about merely being hopeful and excited about a new coach. Talking about how the the previous coaches are talked about as if they were terrible and how the new coaches are the best thing since sliced bread, with virtually every single coach.

You shouldn't think somebody out there is the best person in the world just because they agreed to go on a date with you, and especially not before you've even had a first date. Further, if you think all of your ex's were terrible people, then the one common denominator that they all share is ... you.

Maybe if you are like 15 or something that level of immaturity is acceptable. Otherwise, you shouldn't think somebody is the best until they've given you reason to think so, and you shouldn't be dating people if they are the worst person. If you have spent enough time with them to really development an attachment, that's enough time to know if they are a bad person.

It's the idea that you have to belittle your ex's (coaches or relationships) in order to feel better about moving forward without them that is an immature and poisonous mentality balanced by putting your new coach/relationship on a pedestal setting up unrealistic expectations moving forward. This type of mentality is very pervasive on hogville.

Oh, Lil Ben, I should have been more clear for those that have never actually had a relationship with a girl.

It is a very simple and true concept.

See when a boy and girl first start liking each other everything is wonderful.  Rainbows and sunshine and roses and everything is great.  The longer things go on one of two things will happen little fella...it will become better...or get worse.  After a while you see things that you didn't see before and realize that...after the initial infatuation is gone...they aren't the special one you thought they were.

So, when I hear some of my younger friends, or when I was younger talking about this awesome new girl they found, and then a few weeks or month later they are no longer together I don't make a big deal over them saying she was great.  Because I understand human nature.  The initial intrigue and fascination is gone and the reality sets in.

I honestly cannot believe I have to explain this to you.  I honestly can't believe you just wrote all that crap as if I was meaning any of that or any of that verbal garbage you just spewed was true.

I'll await your over-saturated response to a simple concept to prove your are smart enough and important enough to be at the adult table and in this conversation.

Retired Radio Host

Dark Helmet Hog

I'm not a Herb fan and if I ever see another one of his hype videos again it will be too soon. Time will tell how well he does at Michigan. Big and slow should work better there.

IronHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 28, 2017, 01:45:09 pm
So, Tretola coming in at 376 and crediting Herbert for getting him down to 320 pounds is Herbert not having him conditioned?

Collins being one of only a few backs to run for 1k yards each of his first 3 seasons is all in spite of his shape? I suppose you think he should be as fast against SEC defenders as he was against HS players, right? His NFL shape was him getting back into the same shape that Herbert had him at. Collins tried to bulk up for the NFL.

Kirkland was so out of shape that he was named to the pre-season all american list his final year here and went to the combine that year.

If that's out of shape, then I guess you think we should have been able to win a national championship with the players we had and gone down as one of the most talented teams in the history of the game if we had a "proper" S&C coach. SMH.

When the shape that Kirkland and Collins got into was the same shape that Herbert had them at here, then it kind of is. When the only reason they weren't at ideal weight was because of what they did AFTER they left Herbert, and their improvement in the NFL is going back to what worked with Herbert, that is a ringing endorsement.

CBB's draft picks were primarily his own recruits and guys who were never coached a day by Petrino.

Bout the most ignorant thing I've seen on Hogville

IronHog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on December 28, 2017, 04:28:09 pm
Bobby Petrino's crap didn't stink, either.  OMZ, he's the greatest coach to ever have lived! 

BP had plenty of flaws but his S&C program was top notch......esp compared to the later B.B. era

RebHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 28, 2017, 07:05:11 am

QuoteQuote from: Hawgphish on December 27, 2017, 10:06:41 pm

Drago in Rocky IV? Wasn't it in Rocky II, when Balboa was training for the rematch against Apollo Creed?

I bet its pretty easy catching chickens trying to run in 3 ft snow  :) ;) 8)

RebHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 28, 2017, 01:45:09 pm

Umm really? Lets look at a comparison of the 3 year tenure vs the 5 of hogs in the NFL.

Players Recuited by Petrino                      Players Recruited by Bielma
Jeremy Sprinkle(Played for BB)                                  Martrell Spaight
Deatrich Wise jr (Played for BB                                   Hunter Henry
Ryan Mallet                                                               Denver Kirkland
Jarius Wright                                                             Mitchell Loeween
Chris Gragg                                                               Alex Collins
Chris Smith                                                               Cody Hollister
Travis Swanson                                                          Jermiah Ledbetter
Trey Flowers (Played for BB)                                       Drew Morgan
Darious Philon (Played for BB)                                     AJ Derby
Brandon Allen (Played for BB)                                      Dan Skipper
Cobi Hamilton
Jonathan Williams (Played for BB)
Robert Thomas
Travis Swanson
Keon Hatcher (Played for BB)

colbs

Quote from: RebHog on December 28, 2017, 07:45:09 pm
Umm really? Lets look at a comparison of the 3 year tenure vs the 5 of hogs in the NFL.

Players Recuited by Petrino                      Players Recruited by Bielma
Jeremy Sprinkle(Played for BB)                                  Martrell Spaight
Deatrich Wise jr (Played for BB                                   Hunter Henry
Ryan Mallet                                                               Denver Kirkland
Jarius Wright                                                             Mitchell Loeween
Chris Gragg                                                               Alex Collins
Chris Smith                                                               Cody Hollister
Travis Swanson                                                          Jermiah Ledbetter
Trey Flowers (Played for BB)                                       Drew Morgan
Darious Philon (Played for BB)                                     AJ Derby
Brandon Allen (Played for BB)                                      Dan Skipper
Cobi Hamilton
Jonathan Williams (Played for BB)
Robert Thomas
Travis Swanson
Keon Hatcher (Played for BB)

You kind of proved his point.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 05:51:34 pm

Bout the most ignorant thing I've seen on Hogville

That means you never read your own posts then.

RebHog

Quote from: colbs on December 28, 2017, 07:49:41 pm
You kind of proved his point.

Not really when it was stated most of the players BB has in the NFL are his own recruits its about 50/50 hence why I bolded that part.