Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marijuana and NCAA Football

Started by Rooster Hogburn, November 14, 2012, 06:26:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster Hogburn

November 14, 2012, 06:26:36 pm Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:38:11 am by Rooster Hogburn
Will the legalization of Marijuana in Colorado & Washington create an unfair recruiting advantage for Universities in each respective state?

Does the NCAA have rules against cigarette smoking D1 athletes? If not, would it be unconstitutional to regulate other legal smokables?
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

McHogLovin

November 14, 2012, 06:31:39 pm #1 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:35:51 am by McHogLovin
Players that are picking schools so they can get their smoke on are dumb.  Smoke in your own home and don't advertise it and these guys will have no problem at almost any school.  Mallett and McFadden used no discretion at all and it wasn't spoke on til after they were gone. 

Drewhog

In order to smoke it legally in Washington and Colorado, a person still must be over 21 years old.  Therefore, it would still be illegal for most student athletes to use recreationally.

Tortfeasor

Let's wait and see what SCOTUS says about the legalization issue.  They will hear arguments soon.

Kicking Wing

Also, the NCAA still considers it to be against the rules and will test.  Legalization doesn't change that.

LSUFan

Smoking weed while playing Fotball impacts spelling.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

jtaylor2d

I highly doubt it cause it's still federally legal. Well kind of I should say. The US Government does produce their own cannabis and there are about 6 people in the US who receive this cannabis on a monthly basis, but they are the only ones.

Ramble on Barbershop

What about marijuana, and a unlimited buffett. Heavens
member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

OptimusHog

Quote from: KingScissom on November 14, 2012, 06:59:41 pm

Mangino's paradise.

Hogfaniam

Colorado and Washington will have lines that avg 365lbs
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

BrianWPS!!

Hahahaha!!!! Awesome.

Eddie Goodson

The NCAA can outlaw drinking fruit punch if it wants to do it. Makes zero difference if smoking weed is legal in those states or not. If a player doesn't like it they can go to an NAIA school. The NCAA can make its own rules.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

arkansastrack

This is an absurd question. The NCAA banned substance list is crazy long and includes things such as caffeine, diuretics and stimulants as well as illicit recreational drugs. If you have ADHD and are on adderall it takes an act of congress to continue to take it while competing. Heck albuterol is even prohibited/restricted.

As someone else said if they want to make fruit punch illegal they can. The LAW has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Here is the list for those interested.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/domi/genrel/auto_pdf/ncaa-banned-substance-list.pdf

onebadrubi

The NCAA may mandate more testing and stricter rules for the states that legalized it, just to compensate for it being legal.  So now a recruit could see it the other way.  They could go to any of the other 48 schools and get away with it like I'm sure a lot of the atheletes do already. 

Rooster Hogburn

Horticulture will replace African American studies as the hideaway curriculum for student athletes in Colorado & Washington.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

blunts4mallett

Will the Colorado / Washington game be named the "Smoke-A-Bowl"?

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: blunts4mallett on November 15, 2012, 01:21:32 am
Snoop Dogg player of the game award?

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: blunts4mallett on November 15, 2012, 01:21:32 am

Colorado vs Washington rivalry playing for the "smoke-a-Bowl" trophy

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Ramble on Barbershop

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on November 15, 2012, 10:46:33 am

I would attend. Are tickets on sale now?
member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Tortfeasor on November 14, 2012, 06:53:36 pm
Let's wait and see what SCOTUS says about the legalization issue.  They will hear arguments soon.

They already have ruled on this issue (Ashcroft v. Raiche).  Any state law that allows marijuana doesn't negate federal law that doesn't.

So they state's might not come after you.  But the Feds still could.  And that's true of anyone that's buying/selling/growing/using marijuana in places that have legalized it.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 14, 2012, 08:45:50 pm
The NCAA can outlaw drinking fruit punch if it wants to do it. Makes zero difference if smoking weed is legal in those states or not. If a player doesn't like it they can go to an NAIA school. The NCAA can make its own rules.

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 14, 2012, 06:26:36 pm
Will the legalization of Marijuana in Colorado & Washington create an unfair recruiting advantage for Universities in each respective state?

Does the NCAA have rules against cigarette smoking D1 athletes? If not, would it be unconstitutional to regulate other legal smokables?
Wait a second I just have to ask: is this a put on or a legitimate question? If it's a serious post then excuse me for saying it but you need to be far more lucid before you hit the "send" button next time.

Arthur pigby sellers.

But players Know they will be able to get some killer bud in those states so it probably helps a little.

goneal

Quote from: arkansastrack on November 14, 2012, 09:54:05 pm
This is an absurd question. The NCAA banned substance list is crazy long and includes things such as caffeine, diuretics and stimulants as well as illicit recreational drugs. If you have ADHD and are on adderall it takes an act of congress to continue to take it while competing. Heck albuterol is even prohibited/restricted.

As someone else said if they want to make fruit punch illegal they can. The LAW has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Here is the list for those interested.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/domi/genrel/auto_pdf/ncaa-banned-substance-list.pdf

This. The NCAA has already made its stance public on this issue. Its against NCAA rules, so it is a non-issue.

Rooster Hogburn

A university that starts a marijuana horticulture program will be able to prepare inner city football players for life after college. These young men will graduate with a practical skill set to ensure a decent quality of life after graduation. This alone will create an unfair recruiting advantage.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on November 15, 2012, 10:46:33 am

Cheering would be at a low rumble for this game.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 16, 2012, 08:48:19 am
A university that starts a marijuana horticulture program will be able to prepare inner city football players for life after college. These young men will graduate with a practical skill set to ensure a decent quality of life after graduation. This alone will create an unfair recruiting advantage.
Guess which school has the largest medical marijuana production program in the country.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 16, 2012, 02:07:49 pm
Guess which school has the largest medical marijuana production program in the country.

Johns Hopkins?
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Eddie Goodson

iluvmyslute89

Life is so gay sometimes. It's just some weed. Oh but my doctor can prescribe dangerous and addictive opiate derivatives and amphetamine allouges that cause irreversible heart damage and enlargement of the heart arteries. Cool. But if you get caught packing a bowl you're a criminal

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 16, 2012, 02:14:01 pm
I seem to remember it is none other than Ole Miss.

That would explain that goofy-a$$ black bear

Eddie Goodson

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 16, 2012, 02:14:01 pm
I seem to remember it is none other than Ole Miss.

That blows my recruiting advantage theory completely out of the water

Cave City Joe

It has to help recruiting.  Schools will make a fortune off of concessions and will be able to buy any player they want.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

PHAHog357

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 15, 2012, 12:50:39 am
Horticulture will replace African American studies as the hideaway curriculum for student athletes in Colorado & Washington.

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 16, 2012, 08:48:19 am
A university that starts a marijuana horticulture program will be able to prepare inner city football players for life after college. These young men will graduate with a practical skill set to ensure a decent quality of life after graduation. This alone will create an unfair recruiting advantage

Yea not cool but hey this is hogvillie where you can spew garbage daily and won't be called on it
Ninohog never forgotten

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 16, 2012, 02:07:49 pm

thought it was misstake
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

blunts4mallett

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on November 16, 2012, 02:15:15 pm
Life is so gay sometimes. It's just some weed. Oh but my doctor can prescribe dangerous and addictive opiate derivatives and amphetamine allouges that cause irreversible heart damage and enlargement of the heart arteries. Cool. But if you get caught packing a bowl you're a criminal

So true. I've seen that stuff ruin people's lives, it's pretty horrible. Times are changing though, don't sweat it. Sooner or later we'll need the the tax money off of weed to fund all these ridiculous handouts.

Rooster Hogburn

November 17, 2012, 01:57:15 am #38 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:00:41 am by Rooster Hogburn
Quote from: PHAHog357 on November 16, 2012, 08:14:37 pm
Yea not cool but hey this is hogvillie where you can spew garbage daily and won't be called on it

To get the humor you really need to see my facial expressions and hand gestures.

BTW, are you trying to imply that there is no room for laughs when the nation is in the midst of "The Great Marijuana Debate."