Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Fall to Fourth in Trackwire Poll

Started by GrizzledHogFan, February 07, 2006, 02:50:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzledHogFan

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas fell from second to fourth in the latest national indoor track and field poll released by Trackwire.com. The Razorbacks opened the indoor season ranked No. 1, but fell to No. 4 this week after spending the past two weeks at No. 2.

The poll is based on projected scoring at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships set for March 10-11 at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville.

The Hogs own eight NCAA provisional qualifying times and marks, but added only one additional qualifier last weekend at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in New York, N.Y. McDonnell's squad will get its final regular-season opportunity to bolster its numbers this weekend at the Tyson Invitational at the Randal Tyson Track Center. 

Arkansas still boasts 13 entries in the latest edition of the Dandy Dozen individual event rankings. The Dandy Dozen ranks the top 12 competitors and relay teams based on projected scoring at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Senior Josphat Boit, junior Peter Kosgei, senior Jaanus Uudmae and freshman J-Mee Samuels are all ranked in multiple events. Boit is ranked third in both the 3,000 meters and 5,000 meters. Kosgei holds down the fourth spot in the same events. Uudmae, the defending Southeastern Conference triple jump champion, ranks second in that event and seventh in the long jump. Samuels is ranked eighth in the 200 meters and ninth in the 60 meters.

Freshman Colin Costello, junior Adam Perkins and senior Said Ahmed rank sixth, 10th and 12th in the mile run, respectively. Freshman jumper Nkosinza Balumbu is currently ranked fourth in the triple jump.

Arkansas improved its time in the distance medley relay last weekend, but still must meet the provisional qualification standard. The Hogs rank seventh nationally in the distance medley relay this week.

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=235253
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

hogsanity

What the frick is John Mac doing?  letting us slip like this is unacceptable.    Okay lets get it going.  Who shoud we get to replace him. 

If anyone misses the sarcasm in that please leave.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Shag66

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2006, 03:05:17 pm
What the frick is John Mac doing?  letting us slip like this is unacceptable.    Okay lets get it going.  Who shoud we get to replace him. 

If anyone misses the sarcasm in that please leave.

I made a joke about that once...  got the bejeezus smited outta me!  I'm gonna Karma ya just to help balance it out...  :)

hogsNbeer

Polls are overrated...Just like playcalling.... ;D

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WILL CLINTON

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

tbhogfan

The trackwire poll is very quantitative.  It is strictly based on how many NCAA provisional and automatic performances you have.   Basically it says that "If the NCAA meet were held today, the scoring places would be...." 

John has some athletes rounding into shape, and has three ultra-competitive meets on fast tracks before NCAA's.  Look for several more Hogs to qualify and that ranking to go way up.  The only ranking that really counts is the final score of the NCAA meet.
Go Hogs!

JKT

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 07, 2006, 03:51:13 pm
The trackwire poll is very quantitative.  It is strictly based on how many NCAA provisional and automatic performances you have.   Basically it says that "If the NCAA meet were held today, the scoring places would be...." 

John has some athletes rounding into shape, and has three ultra-competitive meets on fast tracks before NCAA's.  Look for several more Hogs to qualify and that ranking to go way up.  The only ranking that really counts is the final score of the NCAA meet.

The trackwire poll is not completely quantitative.  The trackwire people use current
results and speculation of future results to rank individuals in each event.
J. Mee Samuals is ranked in the 200 meters and has not run a 200 this year.
Colin Costello is ranked in the mile and has yet to run a race in a Razorback uniform. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quotevery quantitative
damn I am using that word the next time I get a job interview...  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogmary

You will have a chance to see the track Hogs this weekend in Fayetteville at the Tyson Invitational.  Friday and Saturday is the collegiate meet and the professional meet is Friday night 8-10.  The professional meet will be shown on ESPN2 on Sunday at 10:30 am to 1:00 pm CST.  Tyson Foods is offering a $25,000 bonus to anyone who breaks a world record.  The highlight event is the men's 300 meters, which offers the best chance of a record.  Wallace Spearmon,  indoor American record holder in the 200; Omar Brown, former Hog; LaShawn Merritt, outdoor gold medalist in 4 x 400; and Kerron Clement, indoor world record holder in the 400, will be the competitors in this race.  Spearmon and Clement set those records the same afternoon last March at the NCAA championships at the Randal Tyson Track.
There will be a lot of names you might recognize from the Olympics competing.  A lot of them are former SEC athletes.  Some of the current Razorbacks will race on Friday night, as well as former Hogs Veronica Campbell, Tyson Gay, Wallace, Omar, Alistair Cragg and Daniel Lincoln.  If you can't be there, be sure to watch or tape the broadcast on Sunday.

94 Hawg

there must be a cloud to blame for this somewhere

...bloody weather
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

silvertip

imahoggie

its all the weight of the ,way too many to count, national championships that we lug around all over the place and the fact that we get everybodys best shot even at the smallest meets. i say let em rank us low. it will be that much sweeter when we are callin the hogs at the ncaa championship as the 17th team in the country.
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.