Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RPI Never Seems Right

Started by yocdaddy, February 07, 2006, 10:05:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yocdaddy

Can we really trust the RPI?  Colorado is sitting at 48 in the latest RPI but their biggest wins are against UNC Wilmington, Nebraska, and Oklahoma St.  I just can't understand.  I know that it is a computer ranking, but somebody had to rank the conferences for it work.  And, I'm positive there are several scenarios like this one.

What is the general consensus of the RPI?

"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

hogfan064

I don't see how we're 67th with a 4-4 conference record in the 4th rated conference with OOC wins over TT, Mizzou, and Kansas and OOC losses to UConn and Maryland. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 07, 2006, 10:09:11 am
I don't see how we're 67th with a 4-4 conference record in the 4th rated conference with OOC wins over TT, Mizzou, and Kansas and OOC losses to UConn and Maryland. 

Our strength of schedule is dragged down by another huge slug of lousy opponents, just like last season.  Covered this yesterday, somewhere on the board.
[CENSORED]!

Shag66

We had good teams scheduled.  Not Stan's fault that the teams that normally are strong aren't living up to it this year.  Kansas just knocked off OU and has been playing good ball lately.  UConn is still doing well.  Heck, even Missouri State has a good tough RPI.

It's NOT the non-conference that is pulling us down.  It's the SEC.

Niels Boar

TT and Mizzou aren't exactly quality wins either.  They are both struggling to stay NIT eligible at around .500.  Teams that can claim wins against one or the other  include Sam Houston St., Davidson, and San Francisco.  Ergo, we really need to beat one of the top three SEC teams to have much of a resume.

Niels Boar

Quote from: Shag66 on February 07, 2006, 11:51:51 am
We had good teams scheduled.  Not Stan's fault that the teams that normally are strong aren't living up to it this year.  Kansas just knocked off OU and has been playing good ball lately.  UConn is still doing well.  Heck, even Missouri State has a good tough RPI.

It's NOT the non-conference that is pulling us down.  It's the SEC.

No, it's the bottom of the schedule.  We actually have better wins than Missouri St (top 40), but they didn't play anybody below #210 in the RPI.  Their best nonconference win is ranked no higher than Mississippi St.  We have six 200+ opponents, three of which are 300+.  As Biggus showed in a chart of the raw scores of the RPI, those 300+ teams are actually even further removed from college BB mediocrity than their cellar ranking would indicate.  Those are SOS killers.

hogfan064

So the 6 200+ is what's killing us.  I'd like to see us quit playing the Texas State's of the world.  I'd like to see our OOC consist of more Big 12, MVC, C-USA, and even a game against a ACC team.  Quit playing these conferences with low RPIs

Tomhog™

So if RPI is a major determining factor in NCAA bids, Stan needs to schedule tougher oppontents (including the creampuffs), that way it will be the Hogs determerning their destiny and not an uncontrollable factor like SOS.  We wouldn't even be having this thread if the Hogs would have taken care of b'ness.  We should be a lock right now after havning beating Bama, KY, MissSt. on top of the wins we have (7-1 conference record).  Heck, let's throw in LSU too and make it an 8-0 record.  We had leads on all the lions, tigers, and bears....................