Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mcfadden...will he ever see the heisman

Started by bradyv15, February 06, 2006, 01:16:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Will darren mcfadden ever win the heisman?

probably
slim chance
never
definetly
50/50

bradyv15

I just figured this would be something interesting to see what everyone else would say i think he could do it...if anything is gonna impair him it would be the new spread offense..that is if we get too absorbed into it...but if we do it with balance with both our run and our pass being threats he could be right up there with reggie Bush...he's got the talent....i think he could do it

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

You are crazy.  The spread offense will triple his numbers.  Springdale had a 1000 yard rusher last year (Clinkscales) who was good, but not great by any means.

bradyv15

yeh i know...but if they got too dependant on the pass and got one sided there then it could hurt him that way....but why would they do that? it will probably help but if we get top confident with our pass then it could hurt him

Mike Tencleve

I don't think he will triple his numbers?? I think the key is the OL can both pass and run block. This will be the key to the offense. IMO

pfrg999

McFaddden will Break the single season rushing record this year.....  and will own the Career record in three years Breaking Ben Cowins numbers... also... one of our receivers (Monk) will break the single season Recpts and Rec Yards mark... and be our second 1000 yd reciever also... IMHO
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

nwarazfan

It all depends on if he and Ark become ESPN darlings.  ESPN/ABC elect the Heisman winner these days.  And unless they play for ND, the team must at minimum be in the top 10 with only one loss.  I just don't see him getting the votes at Ark unless we have a special season and/or his numbers are outrageous.

hogfan064

DMac won't win the heisman.  SEC RBs haven't won the heisman since Bo Jackson I believe.  Some great ones have played over the last 20 years, but none to win it.  Plus you have to be on a NC contender to win the heisman now days.  I hate to say it, but I don't see any NC contender teams yet.  That's not saying Arkansas won't be good, but not NC caliber in the next 2 years. 

D-macs cuz

thurman thomas seemed to do ok, and jamal charles over at texas seemed to do ok with it this year.  cedric benson as well...running backs either you got it or you don't..less of the system and more of the back.

Stateline Hawg

It is unlikely, The Manning brothers couldn't do it, they lost to Jason White and Charles Woodson.  Marshall Faulk couldn' either.  It's a popularity contest.  AP at OU will get it next year.

hogsanity

THe Heisman seems to be tilted toward qb's much more in the last 10 years or so. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Stateline Hawg on February 06, 2006, 01:29:12 pm
It is unlikely, The Manning brothers couldn't do it, they lost to Jason White and Charles Woodson.  Marshall Faulk couldn' either.  It's a popularity contest.  AP at OU will get it next year.

Half of next years ballots have already been mailed with Brady Quinn as the winner. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwarazfan

AP is the frontrunner because he plays in an ABC contracted conference for an ESPN/ABC favorite school.  If Texass beats OU, their rb becomes a frontrunner.  ESPN/ABC has screwed the SEC since Manning.  They've campaigned openly for other players to get the Heisman from other conferences and have hyped programs, especially OU, helping them into BCS title games even when they didn't deserve it.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: mi-ky on February 06, 2006, 01:23:01 pm
I don't think he will triple his numbers?? I think the key is the OL can both pass and run block. This will be the key to the offense. IMO

okay i was exaggerating a *little* bit.  I still think he will put up huge numbers tho.

Boner

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 06, 2006, 01:25:23 pm
Plus you have to be on a NC contender to win the heisman now days.  I hate to say it, but I don't see any NC contender teams yet.  That's not saying Arkansas won't be good, but not NC caliber in the next 2 years. 

Ding, ding, ding. 

Heisman winners this millennium:

Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Carson Palmer
Jason White
Matt Leinart
Reggie Bush

Boner

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 06, 2006, 01:35:44 pm
AP is the frontrunner because he plays in an ABC contracted conference for an ESPN/ABC favorite school.  If Texass beats OU, their rb becomes a frontrunner.  ESPN/ABC has screwed the SEC since Manning.  They've campaigned openly for other players to get the Heisman from other conferences and have hyped programs, especially OU, helping them into BCS title games even when they didn't deserve it.

You know ESPN has a TV contract with the SEC.  Why would they campaign against SEC players?

Last year Stoops claimed ESPN was biased TOWARDS SEC schools because of this contract.

Both bias claims are dumb as the SEC/Big 10/PAC 10/Big 12/ACC all have contracts with ABC/ESPN.

Hoggy Potter

Will he ever see it?  I said definitely.  Why you ask?  They show it on tv every year! ;)
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 01:48:09 pm

You know ESPN has a TV contract with the SEC.  Why would they campaign against SEC players?

Last year Stoops claimed ESPN was biased TOWARDS SEC schools because of this contract.

Both bias claims are dumb as the SEC/Big 10/PAC 10/Big 12/ACC all have contracts with ABC/ESPN.

But CBS has the SEC Sat Afternoon and a couple night games plus the SEC title game.  ESPN gets the leftovers and ABC gets none.  I am not saying there is or is not a bias, but ABC gets to "showcase"  Big 12, Big 10, ACC and Pac 10 teams every Sat. 

nwarazfan

ESPN hypes the ABC games from their morning show all the way until they hand it off to Musberger who will have either Texass or OU or Ohio St or Penn St as the greatest team ever by October and their offensive leader as the Heisman winner.  The SEC is almost treated like a different league(as in its own CF entity) on Sat night.  They will proclaim the SEC as the deepest and best but individual accolades and team accolades are saved for the lil 12, USC and the Big 10.

hog caller

we can talk about Heisman chances all we want to but if the offensive line can't pass and run block,it will all be to avail.

the line holds the key to anyones sauces. IMO ,no matter who throws or hands off or runs or
catches. the line has to be tough and gritty a lot more than last year.

A-Town Hog Fan

He is capable of winning it but will the team be good enough to get him noticed.  Nobody wins the Heisman unless their team is near the top of the rankings.  I think that the hogs will get back to this upper end sometime soon and he will have a shot.
Lord help us all!

HawgLover08

I think there is a really good chance that it could happen. Someone with that much talent will not go unrecognized. Can you imagine what it would be like to have a Heisman winner at Arkansas? It would bring so much great attention to the university. However, I think the only way he would win it is if the Hogs were BCS contenders. You don't see a Heisman trophy winner come out of a 4-7 team every year.

Boner

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 06, 2006, 02:06:34 pm
ESPN hypes the ABC games from their morning show all the way until they hand it off to Musberger who will have either Texass or OU or Ohio St or Penn St as the greatest team ever by October and their offensive leader as the Heisman winner.  The SEC is almost treated like a different league(as in its own CF entity) on Sat night.  They will proclaim the SEC as the deepest and best but individual accolades and team accolades are saved for the lil 12, USC and the Big 10.

The SEC gets plenty of Gameday hype.  But using your logic, I expect to see a HUGE bias aginst Notre Dame and Brady Quinn this season.  If the SEC gets the shaft for only having one to two (more than CBS gets) SEC games a week on ESPN, I expect ND (with no ESPN games at all) to not get any publicity.

nwarazfan

ND doesn't need ESPN's hype to get its players recognized.  The Chicago, NY, Boston, Detroit, Indy... etc Midwest and Eastern big city media will take care of that.  That isn't theory, that is fact.  And yes the SEC as a conf gets plenty of hype.  I've already stated that. 

Sanctified Swine

some of it depends on the "running back by committee" approach that we have used in the past. Number of carries could be a big factor.

hogsanity

We will see how ABC?ESPN treats ND now that ABC does not have the BCS games anymore.  THe print media will still be HEVILY biased toward ND because most of those crumudgeons that write about college Fb on a national level were around when Knute Rockne was coaching. 

Boner

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 06, 2006, 02:19:42 pm
ND doesn't need ESPN's hype to get its players recognized.  The Chicago, NY, Boston, Detroit, Indy... etc Midwest and Eastern big city media will take care of that.  That isn't theory, that is fact.  And yes the SEC as a conf gets plenty of hype.  I've already stated that. 

So what are you saying?  That ESPN will hype SEC teams, just not individual players?

nwarazfan

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 02:26:07 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on February 06, 2006, 02:19:42 pm

So what are you saying?  That ESPN will hype SEC teams, just not individual players?

For the Heisman, yes.  You look at recent history and tell me different.  Same for the teams.  They love praising the SEC.  But you won't find an SEC team hyped like OU, Texass, Oh St, Penn St...

hogsanity

ESPN has to hype teams for their SEC games because, even as good as the SEC usually is, they rarely have the superstar.  THey know that TN or Bama will draw good ratings, even without a big name guy so they hype the teams, even though they get what ever CBS does not want. 

ruzzman3

yes because texas, oklahoma, penn state, etc.. have all just stunk this decade huh? lay off the haterade.

pfrg999

Uhhh Texas always Sucks 1-5 against OU last Six Meetings 1-3 against the Hogs... Penn St. was dead befor this year... and OU ... I like OU...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Boner

I guess its just opinion.  I feel like Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, etc teams and players have gotten as much, if not more, hype than any school in the nation.

I think the one exception was Auburn from last year, who was disrespected by everyone.

Boner

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 06, 2006, 02:42:30 pm
Uhhh Texas always Sucks 1-5 against OU last Six Meetings 1-3 against the Hogs... Penn St. was dead befor this year... and OU ... I like OU...

Yeah, and you didn't hear ANYTHING about Penn State over the last five years, except will JoePa get fired or not.  OU wasn't good this year, so they didn't get any hype.  If you're good, you get the hype, if you're not, you don't.  Its pretty crazy.

razorback3072

February 06, 2006, 02:53:35 pm #32 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:55:47 pm by razorback3072
Brady Quinn will be the Heisman front runner from start to finish.  Especially with the love-fest the media has with ND.  The only way D-Mac gets any consideration next year is if he goes off against USC and the Hogs win.  With that game being on ESPN, if he goes off and has 150+ w/ a Hog win, he gets noticed but still won't be a finalist unless he has a 2k+ yard season.    If he has a great year this year(1500yds or so) he might get some consideration for 2007.  Remember the hype that ESPN the Magazine did on C4 after his Freshman year.  There wasn't a whole lot of talk about him after the article came out once the season started, even before he got hurt.  D-Mac trumped C4's Freshman year bigtime and isn't getting any love outside of the SEC right now.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

hogsanity

Well look at last year, how many games did the 3 Heisman finalists play on NATIONAL networks other than ABC?  I think the answer is 1, and that was USC against ND.. 

Boner

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 02:53:58 pm
Well look at last year, how many games did the 3 Heisman finalists play on NATIONAL networks other than ABC?  I think the answer is 1, and that was USC against ND.. 

Are you trying to tell me that Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and Vince Young did not deserve to be Heisman finalists?  The fact they play for teams that play on ABC was just coincidence.  Those three were BY FAR the best players in the nation. 

Plus, each of those played numerous games on Fox Sports.

Shizzle

I would say if DMac rushes for 1,500 this season he will be a much hyped candidate going into the 2007 season. I think Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson and the QB from West Virginia will be favorites the upcoming year. West Virginia also has a freshman running back that will get much hype in the coming years barring injury.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

hogsNbeer

Not so fast my friend......  Brady Quinn should be the front runner next year for the IRISH..... They will be in the top 5 to start the season....when they make a run for the NC Quinn will have big numbers .......  but I agree, Peterson will be up there as well....I just think  Quinn will have the edge-- if ND can make a run at the NC......JMHO...

As for McFadden...Keep dreaming...... I agree with the other poster.. You have to be on a National Contender for the Heisman.... I believe the Heisman as gotten away from it's meaning...... We'll never be in the top tier unless someone is relieved of his duties...

sailorripley

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 01:48:09 pm

I don't remember Stoops doing that, but I do remember Tuberville making the claim, he even went on ESPN Radio to discuss it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 03:00:48 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 02:53:58 pm

Are you trying to tell me that Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and Vince Young did not deserve to be Heisman finalists?  The fact they play for teams that play on ABC was just coincidence.  Those three were BY FAR the best players in the nation. 

Plus, each of those played numerous games on Fox Sports.

NO, my point was that ESPN had NO ACCESS to their games, and neither did CBS.  Yes they played on Fox regional games alot. 

sailorripley

Quinn will be the frontrunner because the media loves to ND; AP will be in the running if OU can get into the Top 10; if ARK shocks everyone and moves into the Top 5 and DMac is having a great year he could be a contender (I don't think Heupel at OU was an afterthought in the Heisman race at the beginning of the 00-01 season when OU won it all, but ended up 2nd or 3rd in the voting).
If Arkansas has a solid year and DMac goes for 1,500+ and scores 15+ TDs he'll be on the short list going into 2007. If he has those numbers and Arkansas stumbles in 2006, he'll be discussed at the beginning of 07 as a person who would be on the short list if he played for a better team.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 02:46:40 pm

Yeah, and you didn't hear ANYTHING about Penn State over the last five years, except will JoePa get fired or not.  OU wasn't good this year, so they didn't get any hype.  If you're good, you get the hype, if you're not, you don't.  Its pretty crazy.

Are you kidding about OU?  They were badly overhyped by the ESPN/ABC propaganda machine for two years.  "best team ever" - They got Jason White the Heisman and he is as bad a Heisman winner as Torretta or Wuerfel. 

pfrg999

Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 06, 2006, 04:24:57 pm
It is unlikely, The Manning brothers couldn't do it, they lost to Jason White and Charles Woodson.  Marshall Faulk couldn' either.  It's a popularity contest.  AP at OU will get it next year.

Not so fast my friend......  Brady Quinn should be the front runner next year for the IRISH..... They will be in the top 5 to start the season....when they make a run for the NC Quinn will have big numbers .......  but I agree, Peterson will be up there as well....I just think  Quinn will have the edge-- if ND can make a run at the NC......JMHO...

As for McFadden...Keep dreaming...... I agree with the other poster.. You have to be on a National Contender for the Heisman.... I believe the Heisman as gotten away from it's meaning...... We'll never be in the top tier unless someone is relieved of his duties...

Hell Hogsnbeer good to hear you pessimistic voice again... Dmac with 1500+ will get some attention for 07' He will have some next year with 150-200 against USC + 2000 yds + Hogs go 10-2, 11-1 something like that...Then he has a Chance

pfrg999

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 06, 2006, 04:46:13 pm
Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 02:46:40 pm

Are you kidding about OU?  They were badly overhyped by the ESPN/ABC propaganda machine for two years.  "best team ever" - They got Jason White the Heisman and he is as bad a Heisman winner as Torretta or Wuerfel. 

Heupal Deserved It in 2000 (over Weinke)... More than White when he got it..

FLKeysGuy

If my opimistic theory that the Hogs will play for an SEC Championship in 2008 comes true, DMac should have a legitimate chance to win the Heisman. 

Boss Hogg

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on February 06, 2006, 01:51:36 pm
Will he ever see it?  I said definitely.  Why you ask?  They show it on tv every year! ;)

Nice...

McFadden is rated the #18 returning cfb player for next year by SI (and he's just a soph)

bradyv15

I can't see why he wouldn't do it..if d-mac can get 1500 hundred rushing a year and mustain lights it up in the air his sophomore and junior seasons i can't see why we wouldn't be contending for a national title....we oughta have one of the best offenses in the country for 3 or four year strait starting this next year.....plus we supposedly have one of the if not THE best defensive coordinator in college football....1+1=2...(I think ;))....if both of these can be in the top 25 or so in effectiveness i can't see why we couldn't at least MAKE a run for the title....and i can't see how you could turn down the numbers d-mac SHOULD make in the next 3 years....I know there's a lotta should woulda coulda's here...but i mean we're gonna be pretty solid the next 3 or 4 years...there's nothing to indicate anything different that i can think of, I think we can be overall good enough to give him a good shot

Razor(back) Ramon

I can't see him winning it, maybe going to the presentation but that's it.  I hate to say it since I think he has all the talent to win it but everything you've read is true.  ABC (notice I said ABC, not the selection committee) will only pick someone if they play for a historically "sexy" team.  OU, Nebraska, Texas, USC, ND are all historically "sexy" teams.  If he wants it we're gonna need to go UNDEFEATED, win the SEC and get to the National Championship, with him getting at least 1500 yards with 15 touchdowns.  I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see it happening as long as the voting stays the same.  But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna tell everyone that will listen that he should win it.  And who knows, maybe he won't win it because Mitch or Damien are up there instead.
When you participate in sporting events it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how drunk you get.  -Homer Simpson

hogtheball

I think we're talking a lot about nothing.  Has there been an SEC player that should've won the Heisman and didn't?  If there has been, then you've got an argument. Otherwise, you're on a verbal merry-go-round.  If McFadden puts up sick numbers, he'll get consideration. We've never had Heisman numbers out of any runningback or quarterback.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Zen_Hog

If Deangelo Williams can't get it, then Dmac can't. I hope it doesnt' happen that way though

LA HAWG

We all were saying the same thing a few years ago about Cobbs.  Nutt and the boys will ruin McFadden you'll see.  Now I bet everyone is going to get on here and try to tell me that Cobbs wasn't really that good.