Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst Officiating Ever In A Super Bowl

Started by clemensrules01, February 05, 2006, 08:36:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clemensrules01

the horrible pass interference call, the bad holding call, the no-call of the two offsides, the call on hasselbeck.

lets see what horrible call is next. seattle cant beat pitt AND the refs.

94 Hawg

agreed, the Off. PI in the 1st qrtr cost seattle a TD! >:(
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Buff

who are you rooting for here?  let me guess..........Seattle?

the refs have sucked, but Seattle has made too many mistakes too.  i just don't think the refs have made a call so bad it changed the game..........yet

Boarcephus

Not really pulling for any team in particular but it sure seems Seattle is getting hosed.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Sonofahog

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on February 05, 2006, 08:38:25 pm

the refs have sucked, but Seattle has made too many mistakes too.  i just don't think the refs have made a call so bad it changed the game..........yet

Yes they have.  They took away a touchdown on a bad call, and they took the ball away from Seattle at the 1 yard line with a bad call.  I think that changed the game a bunch.

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

clemensrules01

im not a fan of either team. yes they have made calls that have changed the game. the offensive pass interference call. the holding call that called back a play that got seattle inside the five.  the refs have certainly changed the outcome of the game.

hogfancb

What game have you been watching?  Jackson didn't push off in the end zone, Rothwhatever didn't cross the goalline,  Hasselbeck didn't block below the knees on Townsend.  He tackled the other guy.

Zen_Hog

hogattack21

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 05, 2006, 08:40:55 pm
Not really pulling for any team in particular but it sure seems Seattle is getting hosed.

I agree, I dont care who wins but Seattle is getting the raw end of the deal. That Off. P.I. was bull, I just want to see a good game. However, its plain to see that seattle was better prepared and they are getting shafted.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

JIHawg

I don't have a dog in the hunt either, but the holding call, when a commentator like Madden says "you can call holding on every play" that's code for "that was not holding".

It seems every bad call goes Pittsburg's way.

Sonofahog

I forgot about Big Ben's "imaginary touchdown".  The refs are winning the game for Pittsburgh. 

clemensrules01

ben did not call a timeout in time. that was delay of game. HORRIBLE refs.

Boarcephus

Quote from: clemensrules01 on February 05, 2006, 08:48:44 pm

Saw that. Fitting end to a horribly called game.  I can't recall a single bad call that went against Pittsburg and I'm already on my second hand when I count the ones that have gone against Seattle.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

geoffhog

"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

TDHog

I agree, I have no dog in this fight either, but the refs won this game for Pitt.

Hogster18

It was obvious the refs wanted Pittsburgh to win.  That was the worst officiated game I have ever seen.  I don't like either team that much, but Seattle continued to get the shaft throughout the game with phantom holding calls and uncalled offsides penalties on Pittsburgh. Also, Roethlisberger clearly didn't score on the reviewed touchdown play.  If I was a Seattle fan, I would be pissed.

Sonofahog

I was called a Nutt Hugger in another thread for saying the refs screwed Seattle.  I guess all of you are huggers to.  Welcome to the club!   

hogfan x

Quote from: TDHog on February 05, 2006, 09:12:36 pm
I agree, I have no dog in this fight either, but the refs won this game for Pitt.

what he said
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

hoginator

February 05, 2006, 09:21:55 pm #18 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 09:24:44 pm by hoginator
 :puke:
      Pittsburgh
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

mbgrulz

OH JOY, now the refs can go home and jerk off because their boyhood team, the steelers, are now once again world champs thanks to a lop sided penalty ratio. was it me or did the steelers only have one pen.?

i was afraid for the ref that one of those yellow flags they pulled out was gonna be their steeler colored underwear.

the bad thing is that the penalties that they called were on big plays. i would have told my players to go for a refs knee.

worst officiated super bowl ever. obviously biased.

Sonofahog

Those weren't penalty flags, they were terrible towels.

clemensrules01

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 05, 2006, 09:24:18 pm
OH JOY, now the refs can go home and jerk off because their boyhood team, the steelers, are now once again world champs thanks to a lop sided penalty ratio. was it me or did the steelers only have one pen.?

i was afraid for the ref that one of those yellow flags they pulled out was gonna be their steeler colored underwear.

the bad thing is that the penalties that they called were on big plays. i would have told my players to go for a refs knee.
they had two false start penalties on their first drive.

the donger

you are clueless, the timeout came from the sideline before BR called the T.O. You guys have no *** clue what is happening ON THE FIELD, you just want to bitch. By the way, it was a TD(barely) for BR.

Boared

Quote from: the donger on February 05, 2006, 10:30:33 pm
you are clueless, the timeout came from the sideline before BR called the T.O. You guys have no *** clue what is happening ON THE FIELD, you just want to bitch. By the way, it was a TD(barely) for BR.

Agreed, Ben clearly called a TO before the clock ran out. He called it just in time. Clemens, you're drinking from the hater-ade.

As for the TD, this is per ESPN.com:

After two handoffs to Bettis left Pittsburgh one yard short, Roethlisberger, rolling left, faked a pitch to Bettis, but kept the ball himself. He cut back toward the middle and leaped toward the end zone and was met by linebacker D.D. Lewis. The play was ruled a touchdown and replays suggested the ball had penetrated goal line air space before Lewis knocked Roethlisberger back. With 1:55 left in the half, the Steelers had their first lead, 7-3.

Josef

I totally agree with you guys. I was sitting there wondering if my eyes were deceiving me....but it looks like you guys agree. I feel like seattle got the short end of the stick and im not convinced by any means that Pittsburgh was the better team....I guess the refs liked the feel good story of bettis. BS

Triplet Hog

February 05, 2006, 11:13:13 pm #25 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:17:00 am by Triplet Hog
Quote from: stillahog on February 05, 2006, 09:25:12 pm
Those weren't penalty flags, they were terrible towels.
I agree with clemensrules01...worst officiated Super Bowl ever..I'm pleased with the close game, but I hate to see officials determine the winner of the game.  Neither team is my favorite team, but it would be nice to see officials not decide the game.  For the same reason I'm happy Pitt beat the Colts (terrible calls in favor of Colts..almost lost game for Pitt), I am so sorry that Seattle got "screwed" this game.  The touch call (offensive interference), the holding calls (2 that were not holding..one late in the game), and the Ben R. TD (was not a TD..not to say they don't score on 4th and inches) were all TERRIBLE.  All that being said...congrats to the Steeler fans in hogville land. 

dmhog v2.0

February 05, 2006, 11:25:52 pm #26 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:40:03 pm by dmhog v2.0
If the officials weren't hand delivering the game to Pittsburgh, Seattle would have won by 3+ TDs. Worst officiated game I have ever witnessed. How in the hell do you get called for an illegal block when you're making the freaking tackle????

It's kind of nice to see Bettis, who is one of the NFL's classiest players, get a ring and go out on top, but the best team got kobe'd by the officials.

I've never been one to subscribe to the conspiracy theories about league management predetermining the outcome, but this game was obviously decided two weeks ago. It's just funny that for the last two weeks all that you hear is Pittsburgh this, Steelers that, not very much about Seattle. Then, Pittsburgh wins with at least 5 huge, suspect calls in their favor. The Seattle fumble that was called an incomplete pass in the second quarter was the only wrong call that I saw that went in Seattle's favor.

BS offensive pass interference. BS Roethlisberger TD. BS illegal block on Hasselbeck. BS attempt to call a fumble on Hasselbeck.

This game was, in fact, complete BS. Thank [CENSORED] christ I didn't have any money on it.

That being said. I think the freaking Panthers win it next year, and I [CENSORED] hate them. We all know the Pats are done without their coordinators. The Steelers got on a winning streak at the right time, and when their luck ran out, the officials hand them a title. I'm not sure if Seattle can recover from this. Alexander will be a free agent (I'm pretty sure) and may seek the long contract elsewhere since they didn't offer it at the beginning of this season. The Colts will not be quite as dominant after they lose James. I just don't see Denver repeating this year's success. My boys in Tampa are about 2 more years from being a legit championship contender. Atlanta is overrated. Washington overachieved. When's the last time Chicago had two back-to-back successful seasons? Cincinatti will continue to get better, but is not even close to being a Super Bowl team. The Giants are getting older, and Eli has to mature more. Without TO, the Eagles will go back to being the dominant team in their division, but won't be able to go all the way. Maybe KC can make some noise. They have the offense. Preist Holmes will be the league's best 3rd down back. Herm Edwards will take that defense that Vermeil started building, and get them going. That leaves the Panthers. As much as I ahte to say it, they are consistently an NFL power. Their defense will be healthy again. Steve Smith proved he is, without a doubt, one of premier WRs in the NFL.

Well, at least that's what my years of NFL Sunday Ticket has made me think.

BigPapaHawg

I didn't care myself either way which team won. I am not a true fan of either, but I have to agree that is one of the worst jobs of officiating I have ever witnessed in a Superbowl myself. Congrat's to the Steelers though for winning #5!
WOO PIG

HognotinMemphis

I was for Pittsburgh and I'll take all the help they can get from the officials. Thanks for all you do, officials. Hahahaha.

Too bad Seattle didn't have the officials in their pockets or they may have won!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 05, 2006, 11:44:59 pm
Too bad Seattle didn't have the officials in their pockets or they may have won!

That would be funny if it wasn't true.

mustainiac

The Seattle player did push off in the endzone--right in front of the official.  The ball DID touch the goal line on Ben's touchdown.  The only terrible call was on the phantom block below the waste.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: mustainiac on February 06, 2006, 12:31:25 am
The Seattle player did push off in the endzone--right in front of the official.  The ball DID touch the goal line on Ben's touchdown.  The only terrible call was on the phantom block below the waste.

Oh. Okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Nothing else to see here, then.

murray-vegas

There was more than one bad call. The BR TD was close enough to where it could go either way and the PI was close with both players having hands on each other. But the tackle below the belt for MH was strange and why didn't the refs review the SEA apparent TD with 1 min left in the first half? Left foot inbounds, right foot hit pylon. Pylon is part of the field isn't it? Should have been 10-7 at half SEA.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: clemensrules01 on February 05, 2006, 08:36:05 pm
the horrible pass interference call, the bad holding call, the no-call of the two offsides, the call on hasselbeck.

lets see what horrible call is next. seattle cant beat pitt AND the refs.

He clearly pushed off

As far as the other 3, you are nitpicking.  GROW UP.

Hines Ward
Randle El
Parker
Name Seattle players that did anything.  Get over it.  Steelers are champs, and NOT because of the refs.  The PUNCHED Seattle square on the mouth. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Quote from: stillahog on February 05, 2006, 08:41:16 pm
Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on February 05, 2006, 08:38:25 pm

Yes they have.  They took away a touchdown on a bad call, and they took the ball away from Seattle at the 1 yard line with a bad call.  I think that changed the game a bunch.

Sad.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: clemensrules01 on February 05, 2006, 08:42:00 pm

the refs have certainly changed the outcome of the game.

This is stupid and agenda driven.  Good luck next year.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: murray-vegas on February 06, 2006, 12:37:07 am
There was more than one bad call. The BR TD was close enough to where it could go either way and the PI was close with both players having hands on each other. But the tackle below the belt for MH was strange and why didn't the refs review the SEA apparent TD with 1 min left in the first half? Left foot inbounds, right foot hit pylon. Pylon is part of the field isn't it? Should have been 10-7 at half SEA.

I noticed the SEA player's LF hit the PL. I figured since he didn't get BF IB BF stepping OB, the RFs didn't call it. The PO in front of the RF was just a DA call. It was a LF. The Pittsburgh player B&Med about it until he got the YF. DA, I tell you, DA! I think MH should complain to PT about the RFs poor DM. Not much can change, but maybe some new RFs. Nice to see JB and BC get a SBR. JP can FO. That LM MFer didn't do a thing the whole SB. SA played well. I was also happy to see KH on the SL cheering for the SHs. My GF doesn't like SK. That's FUed. Anyway, it's getting to be in the AM and I'm FUBAR. I'm going to lie down. But not B4 I drink another KS and use the RR. FYI, I'm going to give my AS another RH so she can shew on it ON. GN.

Reaganite

Let me just say this...  I frankly didn't care which team won since the Colts were out of it.  I did have leanings toward Seattle (even though I can't stand the eliteists that live there). 

The team however is made up of Footballers, many of whom come from the SEC (Alexander) and also bost three former Hogs:
The Hammer Hamlin (whom I saw on the sidelines tonite)
Jeb Hucakba (on injured reserve)
and, I believe, Richard Smith on the scout team

Not really having a dog in the fight though I watched first, for the love of the game and second, because any self respecting MAN watches THE football game of the year.

I saw both no calls on the offsides and was surprised.  I was also surprised that Hasselbeck got called for blocking when he was tackling.  Shamefull for "cream of the crop" refs.

Bottom line though is Seattle screwed up by not scoring MORE POINTS.  They were moving the chains and being consistent in early drives only to go for it all and miss.  If they had continued moving chains, they probably could have scored more... enough to beat the Steelers and the Ref crew. 

They didn't, they lost, so congrats to the Steelers.

othermac

February 06, 2006, 06:48:53 am #39 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:54:12 am by othermac
i didn't care who won, but it sure was amazing the number of questionable calls that went pittsburg's way. in fact watching the calls go their way and then every commerical i saw with the super bow trophy was with steeler personnel, it was like "the fix is in" move over wwf and pro boxing, the nfl is fixing games now.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

mbgrulz

Quote from: Reaganite on February 06, 2006, 01:30:36 am
Let me just say this...  I frankly didn't care which team won since the Colts were out of it.  I did have leanings toward Seattle (even though I can't stand the eliteists that live there). 

The team however is made up of Footballers, many of whom come from the SEC (Alexander) and also bost three former Hogs:
The Hammer Hamlin (whom I saw on the sidelines tonite)
Jeb Hucakba (on injured reserve)
and, I believe, Richard Smith on the scout team

Not really having a dog in the fight though I watched first, for the love of the game and second, because any self respecting MAN watches THE football game of the year.

I saw both no calls on the offsides and was surprised.  I was also surprised that Hasselbeck got called for blocking when he was tackling.  Shamefull for "cream of the crop" refs.

Bottom line though is Seattle screwed up by not scoring MORE POINTS.  They were moving the chains and being consistent in early drives only to go for it all and miss.  If they had continued moving chains, they probably could have scored more... enough to beat the Steelers and the Ref crew. 

They didn't, they lost, so congrats to the Steelers.
and they think that we all have no teeth and no shoes. i thought the same thing when i moved up there. the truth is that there are rednecks up their on a level that we have never seen. there are elitist up there just like here in fayetteville. for the most part though, the people are easy going and very polite. there is no part of seattle that i wouldnt walk in late at night. the pacific NW is the greatest place in america next to NWA.

oh by the way, the seahawks got screwed. bad.

Stateline Hawg

with the way defensive pass interference has been called the last 2 seasons, i agree that it was off. pass interference.  It gave the offensive man an advantage.  If a defender touches a receiver these days its PI.  It did seem that Seattle had things going against them with the refs, only the Hasselbeck tackle being blatently bad.  And of course Michael Irving thought is was bs, he would have gave the defender a forearm to the facemask and gotten away with it.

Hogback

Too bad the Seahawks couldnt beat the two teams they faced last night....The Steelers and the Officials.

mbgrulz

iffy calls are normal, but when all the iffy calls go on one team, it becomes an issue.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: ScottFaldon on February 06, 2006, 10:51:41 am
If Arkansas was playing Texas for the BCS championship and those same calls had gone against the Longhorns, nobody here would be saying the Razorbacks got a tainted win.

The worst call of the night was the Hasselback tackle. The others were iffy, but there are always iffy calls in every football game.

As for the idea that the NFL was fixing the game for the Steelers, that is insane. The NFL doesn't need to fix games to be popular. It's by far and away the most popular sport in America. If there was even a hint of game fixing, it would cost the league billions of dollars. And the NFL isn't about to risk losing that kind of green just to sell a few thousand extra caps and tee-shirts to Steelers fans.

You're right. But, when you get to watch a game objectively, you tend to be able to notice and admit the officiating is horrible.

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2006, 11:58:42 am
iffy calls are normal, but when all the iffy calls go on one team, it becomes an issue.

Ignorant.

pikehog

"What game have you been watching?  Jackson didn't push off in the end zone, Rothwhatever didn't cross the goalline,  Hasselbeck didn't block below the knees on Townsend.  He tackled the other guy."

WRONG

What game have you been watching?  Jackson did push off in the end zone, Rothwhatever did cross the goalline,  Hasselbeck did block below the knees on Townsend.  He tackled the other guy after the illegal block.

It's amazing that we still have the gall to question the calls of what have been the best refs in teh league this season.

I for one did see a push off, I did see Ben cross (and didn't see evidence to overturn that) and saw a low block (which did not effect the game whatsoever by the way)

It's all open to what you want to see.

mbgrulz

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 01:50:05 pm

Ignorant.
how in the hell is that ignorant? the "steelers" (literally) got 3 measily ass penalties on them.

here is how the seahawks got jacked

1. offensive pass interference - both players pushed neither player gained advantage -     result = touchdown

2. holding - madden publically disagreed - result = touchdown

3. block below the knees - plain ole bullcrap - result = bad field pos. to good field pos.

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2006, 03:09:13 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 06, 2006, 01:50:05 pm

Ignorant.
how in the hell is that ignorant? the "steelers" (literally) got 3 measily ass penalties on them.

here is how the seahawks got jacked

1. offensive pass interference - both players pushed neither player gained advantage -     result = touchdown

3. block below the knees - plain ole bullcrap - result = bad field pos. to good field pos.

Look, if you want to continue to believe that ALL of the calls went Pittsburgh's way, then I believe that is being ingnorant.  See PikeHog's post above yours.

Macgyver Hawg

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2006, 03:09:13 pm

Madden can say he disagrees but the guy clearly had a hold of the jersey for holding to be called.  They played it back in slow motion, the guy grabs the jersey and when he lets go Madden says he disagrees with the call.  I saw a lot of holding penalties that could have been called on Seattle go uncalled.