Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I like this year's group of players..we will be OK.

Started by threeNout, March 01, 2009, 09:47:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

It's not a popular sentiment when you lose 10 straight SEC games, or whatever it was.

In a normal recruiting rotation, 4 or 5 of these players as a whole would be a great addition to 4 or 5 veteran holdovers.

We didn't have near that to start the year, and our best veteran player, Beverly gets suspended.

I like the group of fresh faces we saw this year.

Fortson, we've all seen it, how good he was against top 10 teams, we all know how good he can be.

Henry, in the brief spots he finds his game, he looks awesome, seems to have an clear athletic advantage over his defender, very quick. He ran some point late in the game today and looked just natural and quick handling and distributing the ball, until this I had only considered his post moves and 3 pt shooting. Henry seems to have a lot of upside.

What Sanchez has shown me is that he defintely has the tools. at times catching and shooting with confidence, great form, good moves around the basket, good size and not afraid to bang. He just struggled consistantly finding his game, but the game is there, at least from what I see.

Clarke faced true freshman conditioning issues I think. He may never be a defensive stopper but I think he'll learn to stop being a defensive liability late in games. Even if he is only a 15- 20 minute a game type guy in the future he can still be a
game changer with the way he can score. I don't think any of our new players suffered more from our overall lack of depth than Rotnie Clarke. When we are deeper and stronger at guard next year, RC will really be able to blossom I think.

Those 4 players have been great additons, along with a few may who may be able to break out in the coming weeks. The problem is what they were "added" to, the only real veterans being Washington and Welsh.

My point being if we can add 4 more next year this good, then 4 more the year following that, we will be OK.

BSEE78

"I think once they start to play this game with a passion, then you may start seeing glimpses of us in them. We had Todd Day pave the way for us. We paved the way for Kareem (Reid). Kareem paved the way for Joe Johnson. It's a tradition and it's a rich tradition." - Al Dillard

coachd

I agree with most of what you said other than Clarke being weak on the defense. do you really watch him on defense, he gets steals, deflections etc. the only thing is sometimes they get a shot off over his head but so does the other guards. Just watch him the next few games on defense, i think he is over looked because of his size and...other things.  He has been stereotyped on the defensive part.   

psooie

Read on the Memphis board a double header is happening in St Louis next November:

Kansas-Memphis
Hogs-Louisville

The_Bionic_Pig

March 02, 2009, 12:23:51 pm #4 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:29:20 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Louisville has put Arkansas out of 2 NCAA tounaments once in 1989 and before that 1983.

Memphis took us out of the big dance in 92' but we avenged that loss by beating them in 95' Sweet 16teen game.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

pitbull1

I think we'll be ok next year, with a little more depth.

no3putts

do you have some inside info on some 5 star guys we dont know about. thats the only thing that will turn this thing around. Next year will be similar to this year. Only difference is group of sun belt talent is one year older, our top big man gone,and another freshman class that we beat out Sam Houston state, UA monticello, Montana U, well you get the picture. If the talent you bring in picks you over the other bottome dwellers, what makes you think we will win with that talent

razorpimp

Quote from: no3putts on March 02, 2009, 12:39:11 pm
do you have some inside info on some 5 star guys we dont know about. thats the only thing that will turn this thing around. Next year will be similar to this year. Only difference is group of sun belt talent is one year older, our top big man gone,and another freshman class that we beat out Sam Houston state, UA monticello, Montana U, well you get the picture. If the talent you bring in picks you over the other bottome dwellers, what makes you think we will win with that talent

pure crazy talk

hawgsav1

The talent level is undeniable, and depth is a concern, but not so much that it should allow us to fall apart as we had.  The problem is getting everyone to play as well as they can.  Every game, only 1 or 2 players play well.  When we all get on the same page, we kick butt, but the problem is getting on the same page. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HotlantaHog

Quote from: threeNout on March 01, 2009, 09:47:09 pm

Those 4 players have been great additons, along with a few may who may be able to break out in the coming weeks. The problem is what they were "added" to, the only real veterans being Washington and Welsh.

My point being if we can add 4 more next year this good, then 4 more the year following that, we will be OK.

I agree about this year's additions. My question is, do we have four equally strong additions for next year?

returntoglory

Quote from: no3putts on March 02, 2009, 12:39:11 pm

I agree. Marshawn Powell? Really? Only a four star? What the heck Pelphrey. We can only take five star players here. Jamel Farmer, what a joke. The guy is only ranked above our four star player by espn, ESPN!!! Like they know what they are talking about.

no3putts

well i thought freshman cant add anything to a team. They will tire out, dont have playing time, not experienced so we shouldnt count on them. Cant talk out of both sides of your mouth