Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite Nolan Memory?

Started by threeNout, February 27, 2009, 01:17:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

It's a toss up for me.

The early 90's game against Texas in Austin (91?) when Nolan gets mad and walks off the court with seconds remaining, looking at a certain loss.

MayDay and crew respond, somehow getting the game to OT, where we win.

Also when Nolan gave Pitino the pair of boots, I loved that.

Of course that makes me think of a third moment, our first trip to Ky as an SEC foe. We blew them out of the joint.

Those are 3 good memories I have of Nolan, let's hear yours.

phadedhawg

Strollin' with Nolan vs Texas!!!

Hawgrox

During a post game presser he was asked about a narrow win vs. Vandy and he responded with "I told my guys you better not beat 'em too bad because you will probably be working for them one day".

When he told Billy Packer "Well I'm glad you saw that Billy...a blind man could have saw that" (Can't remember to what he was refering)

batesvillepharmer

The way we beat north carolina in the 94 tourney. We basically slowed it down and beat them at their own game. Nolan was making the point he could draw plays to the post player as well as dean smith. Of course it helps to have corliss, darnell robinson and lee wilson as post players.

PoormansRobbyHampton

After the Texas Southern near-shocker in the '95 tournament. After the game at the press conference he said something like "It's nice to play in Austin because I like saying 'one more time Horns'" and did the upside down Horns. Classic.

bigdaddy220

I knew someone would have to say something stupid and negative.

threeNout

Quote from: Hawgrox on February 27, 2009, 01:36:53 pm
During a post game presser he was asked about a narrow win vs. Vandy and he responded with "I told my guys you better not beat 'em too bad because you will probably be working for them one day".

When he told Billy Packer "Well I'm glad you saw that Billy...a blind man could have saw that" (Can't remember to what he was refering)

those are two gems

+1

badIntentions

Quote from: bigdaddy220 on February 27, 2009, 04:21:24 pm
I knew someone would have to say something stupid and negative.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was enjoying reading all of them......then I read that one
I can talk better than Lou Holtz with spoonfull of peanut butter in my mouth.

threeNout

I reckon'd there be some negative comments, we've already outnumbered them with good memories though.

It's be great if we get more good contributions maybe the Mods could print this off for Nolan on Sunday.,haha the smallest of trinkets perhaps, but message boards get such a bad rap for bringing out the negative in people, it'd be cool to at least see an attempt at something positive.

Nolan was one of a kind, I for one am thankful for every minute he was our coach.

HogBreath

Quote from: threeNout on February 27, 2009, 05:41:11 pm
I reckon'd there be some negative comments, we've already outnumbered them with good memories though.

It's be great if we get more good contributions maybe the Mods could print this off for Nolan on Sunday.,haha the smallest of trinkets perhaps, but message boards get such a bad rap for bringing out the negative in people, it'd be cool to at least see an attempt at something positive.

Nolan was one of a kind, I for one am thankful for every minute he was our coach.

I was thrilled to death when Nolan became our coach, as time went on, it became obvious that Nolan was a bully and a loudmouth who played the race card at every opportunity.

When he walked off the court that day in Austin, I saw that as quitting on the team.

The last 7 years he basically quit doing his job as a our coach, dared to be fired, then filed a lawsuit when he got what he very loudly demanded.

If you pollyannas want to honor that, knock yourselves out.

I'm a Arkansas Razorback fan first and foremost, whoever or whatever seeks to do damage to the Razorbacks is no friend of mine.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

threeNout

Quote from: HogBreath on February 27, 2009, 05:50:58 pm
I was thrilled to death when Nolan became our coach, as time went on, it became obvious that Nolan was a bully and a loudmouth who played the race card at every opportunity.

When he walked off the court that day in Austin, I saw that as quitting on the team.

The last 7 years he basically quit doing his job as a our coach, dared to be fired, then filed a lawsuit when he got what he very loudly demanded.

If you pollyannas want to honor that, knock yourselves out.

I'm a Arkansas Razorback fan first and foremost, whoever or whatever seeks to do damage to the Razorbacks is no friend of mine.

The last 7 years of him "not doing his job" we were a lot better than we have been since.

By saying 7 years I guess you are including his last final 4 appearance and placing 2nd to UCLA as "not doing his job"?

I restate again, I'm grateful for every mnute Nolan was our coach.  This is his weekend.

Lastly I'll mention what occured to me today, our sole conference win this year came in what game? the one game Nolan game a locker room talk to the team before tipoff.

I hope Sunday goes off well for the state showing their appreciation for Nolan and what he did here.

HammyHagar

I saw him at the ezmart on Wedington drive about 2.5 years ago, he was drunk and driving a mini van. swear to god

jep_hog_fan

Mine has to be in what I beleive was our last regular season meeting with Memphis, wher ehe had to call eveeryone off at the end. The final couple minutes we took an 8 point or so lead to nearly 20. The look on his face (that smirky smile) knowing he had the last laugh against them.

Now that I think about it, that is a close third. My favorite memory is him holding the National Championship trophy, followed by the SEC net cutting.

scottagee

Watching Nolan get excited when someone like Clint McDaniel would just strip the other teams best player naked at midcourt and then go in and dunk. I loved seeing the excitement in Nolan when his team executed his defense to perfection.

TushCrush

I always loved this quote (something like this):
"A bumpy ride beats a smooth walk any day."

HogBreath

Quote from: threeNout on February 27, 2009, 07:09:36 pm
The last 7 years of him "not doing his job" we were a lot better than we have been since.

By saying 7 years I guess you are including his last final 4 appearance and placing 2nd to UCLA as "not doing his job"?

I restate again, I'm grateful for every mnute Nolan was our coach.  This is his weekend.

Lastly I'll mention what occured to me today, our sole conference win this year came in what game? the one game Nolan game a locker room talk to the team before tipoff.

I hope Sunday goes off well for the state showing their appreciation for Nolan and what he did here.
Well, there you go, no wonder your memories are all so rosy, you have a bad memory.  The loss to UCLA came a year before the final 7 year period.  Over those last 7 years, our records more or less progressively worsened.

Remember going to the NIT in '97?  We were 18-14 that year.  We had 2 second round losses, and 2 first round losses along the way, and missed out on everything in Nolan's final year when we only won 14 games.  But you forgot about all that didn't ya?

Heath had as good or better a record in his 3rd, 4th, & 5th seasons than Nolan did over all but 2 of his last seven, and Pelphrey won more last year than all but 2 of Nolan's last seven teams did.

Stan Heath gets much of the blame for the current sorry state of Razorback basketball, but the truth is, things had been going downhill for a long time before he ever landed in Fayetteville.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

jfred59

Quote from: phadedhawg on February 27, 2009, 01:18:22 pm
Strollin' with Nolan vs Texas!!!

This is mine too.....stickin it to the Horns and their Refs

batesvillepharmer

Quote from: HogBreath on February 27, 2009, 08:11:20 pm
Well, there you go, no wonder your memories are all so rosy, you have a bad memory.  The loss to UCLA came a year before the final 7 year period.  Over those last 7 years, our records more or less progressively worsened.

Remember going to the NIT in '97?  We were 18-14 that year.  We had 2 second round losses, and 2 first round losses along the way, and missed out on everything in Nolan's final year when we only won 14 games.  But you forgot about all that didn't ya?

Heath had as good or better a record in his 3rd, 4th, & 5th seasons than Nolan did over all but 2 of his last seven, and Pelphrey won more last year than all but 2 of Nolan's last seven teams did.

Stan Heath gets much of the blame for the current sorry state of Razorback basketball, but the truth is, things had been going downhill for a long time before he ever landed in Fayetteville.
So your most favorite memory of nolan's years was his lawsuit thrown out. Your 2nd was him getting fired. What is 3rd, his horse getting shot? Out of curiosity, where does the national championship rank on your list.

bigdaddy220

bigdaddy220

I remember that one.  Packer was interviewing Nolan after the victory and Packer said he thought Nolan was smart by telling the team to get it inside to the "big guy" meaning Corliss.  (Like it took a genius to figure that out.)  I remember Corliss smiling shyly at the comment and then Rick Pitino laughing about it on camera later.  Great moment!

HogBreath

Quote from: batesvillepharmer on February 27, 2009, 08:29:55 pm
So your most favorite memory of nolan's years was his lawsuit thrown out. Your 2nd was him getting fired. What is 3rd, his horse getting shot? Out of curiosity, where does the national championship rank on your list.
I thought the shooting of Nolan's horse was a despicable, cowardly act.  You even bringing that up doesn't speak well of you.  And of course, the championship, and the following runner up season were both very special to all Razorback fans, as were many of the other accomplishments Nolan achieved. 

Tell the truth, were you real torn up when Nolan was dismissed?

bigdaddy220

Can't you just let it go one weekend and enjoy honoring Nolan and the team?  Life is too short to stay mad like that.

HogBreath

Quote from: bigdaddy220 on February 27, 2009, 08:56:16 pm
Can't you just let it go one weekend and enjoy honoring Nolan and the team?  Life is too short to stay mad like that.
Oh, I'm not mad at all, and I'm all in favor of honoring that tremendous group of wonderful, young men who made up our greatest team.  They have certainly earned that.

bigdaddy220

..as well as their coach.  Thank you.

bao187

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Torqued pork

nolan lifting the nc trophy in charlotte and knowing john robert starr was trying to crawl into a hole somewhere in little rock.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 27, 2009, 08:48:54 pm
I thought the shooting of Nolan's horse was a despicable, cowardly act.  You even bringing that up doesn't speak well of you.  And of course, the championship, and the following runner up season were both very special to all Razorback fans, as were many of the other accomplishments Nolan achieved. 

Tell the truth, were you real torn up when Nolan was dismissed?

Damn right I was torn up.

That cut our program real deep and we're still bleeding over it.  Every time I think what if he was still our coach I get heart burn from hell and mad enough to chew glass.  What he had to say about his job earlier this decade was very ugly, but it was because of Frank and to top it off he was telling the truth.  I want to like Pel and hope he gets us turned around, but if they told me we could have Nolan back I would pack Pel's bags for him and drive him to XNA.  Nolan Richardson will always be the King of Razorback Basketball and everyone that follows will just be a cheap substitute.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

SuckingSow

Wasn't Todd Day asked about Richardson leaving during the final minute in Austin in a post-game interview?  I think his response was "Coach had to go to the bathroom."  Classic.

ozarkshogfan

The national championship is first on the list, but ya cant forget the fly suits and ties he wore either

HamIAm

February 28, 2009, 10:49:23 am #30 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:52:27 am by HamIAm
Lots of good memories on here already. Some more of mine...

1)The first game in BWA -I think it was on national TV, but we ran Missouri out of the gym like we were playing a high school team. I thought we would probably win, but to just destroy them, Wow.

2)in 1991 Two friends and I made our first trip to the NCAA tournament as Arkansas played in the first round in Atlanta. This was the time of Miller, Day, Mayberry, and group.

Standing around in the hotel we were visiting with a young black man from New Orleans who found out we were from Arkansas. He asked if we thought Nolan would take the time to visit with him. He didn't seem to think Nolan would have the time or interest in visiting with him, just some guy off the street. We told him sure Nolan would. As we visited we learned the guy wasn't an Arkansas fan, but had come over just on the chance that he might meet Nolan. He was pretty nervous and doubtful about meeting Nolan. We saw Nolan coming down the hall and practically shoved the guy out to introduce himself. Nolan saw something was going on out of the corner of his eye and stopped, even though he was on his way to a press conference. He shook the guy's hand with a smile and visited for a minute or two. It was a great moment to see how thrilled the guy was to actually talk to Nolan. I thought what a great ambassador for the state. 

Earlier we had heard Nolan telling some big $ boosters (which we weren't) about the press conference if they were wanting to attend. So my friend and I thought it was open to the public.  We slipped into the back of the room to watch, not making any noise.  Some of the officials saw us and were going to throw us out. Nolan turned and motioned for the guy to sit down and said we were fine. 

In a matter of 10 minutes or so Nolan had done a couple of things he didn't have to do. Things he wouldn't get any publicity for and that a lot of coaches wouldn't have done. I appreciated him for that.

I always cringed hearing Nolan talk on national TV because I knew it was going to get back to a rant on race. But I would remember this and his charity work and know that there was more than one side to the man. Those are 2 of my favorite memories outside of the national championship.

rzrbackrob

I really admired how he handled the death of his daughter.
Good is the enemy of great

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: threeNout on February 27, 2009, 01:17:02 pm
It's a toss up for me.

The early 90's game against Texas in Austin (91?) when Nolan gets mad and walks off the court with seconds remaining, looking at a certain loss.

MayDay and crew respond, somehow getting the game to OT, where we win.

Also when Nolan gave Pitino the pair of boots, I loved that.

Of course that makes me think of a third moment, our first trip to Ky as an SEC foe. We blew them out of the joint.

Those are 3 good memories I have of Nolan, let's hear yours.
The day he was fired. That was just desserts if there ever was.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Porkys Revenge

Nolan was a straight pimp. Bon Jovi couldn't pimp a pair of red cowboy boots near as well as Nolan.

threeNout

Quote from: HamIAm on February 28, 2009, 10:49:23 am
Lots of good memories on here already. Some more of mine...

1)The first game in BWA -I think it was on national TV, but we ran Missouri out of the gym like we were playing a high school team. I thought we would probably win, but to just destroy them, Wow.

2)in 1991 Two friends and I made our first trip to the NCAA tournament as Arkansas played in the first round in Atlanta. This was the time of Miller, Day, Mayberry, and group.

Standing around in the hotel we were visiting with a young black man from New Orleans who found out we were from Arkansas. He asked if we thought Nolan would take the time to visit with him. He didn't seem to think Nolan would have the time or interest in visiting with him, just some guy off the street. We told him sure Nolan would. As we visited we learned the guy wasn't an Arkansas fan, but had come over just on the chance that he might meet Nolan. He was pretty nervous and doubtful about meeting Nolan. We saw Nolan coming down the hall and practically shoved the guy out to introduce himself. Nolan saw something was going on out of the corner of his eye and stopped, even though he was on his way to a press conference. He shook the guy's hand with a smile and visited for a minute or two. It was a great moment to see how thrilled the guy was to actually talk to Nolan. I thought what a great ambassador for the state. 

Earlier we had heard Nolan telling some big $ boosters (which we weren't) about the press conference if they were wanting to attend. So my friend and I thought it was open to the public.  We slipped into the back of the room to watch, not making any noise.  Some of the officials saw us and were going to throw us out. Nolan turned and motioned for the guy to sit down and said we were fine. 

In a matter of 10 minutes or so Nolan had done a couple of things he didn't have to do. Things he wouldn't get any publicity for and that a lot of coaches wouldn't have done. I appreciated him for that.

I always cringed hearing Nolan talk on national TV because I knew it was going to get back to a rant on race. But I would remember this and his charity work and know that there was more than one side to the man. Those are 2 of my favorite memories outside of the national championship.

+1

Marshfieldhog

Nolan let me ride in his golf cart 2 or 3 times at Paradise Valley  back in the early 90's..he would always be out playing during the summer( he lived on the course then). Nolan was always very nice, most guys in his position wouldn't have given me the time of day.

Also Nolan lived on Paradise which caters to the middle class, he could have lived at Pinnacle but that was not his style.

razorson

February 28, 2009, 03:00:03 pm #36 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:51:58 pm by razorson
'95  My wife, 2 yr. old daughter and myself  came to Fay from Blytheville  hoping to get tickets for the Montavello game. At the tine we went to church on Sat. I told some folks that we were  hopeing to go to the game, but didn't have tickets.  They told us  the game was sold out and that our chances of getting 3 tickets was'nt good, but if we we're willing to work the concession stand the 1st. half he could get us in. So I said great my wife would'nt mind at all. The game was great . Now this is were Nolan comes in. The next day "Sunday" We went back to BW to get pictures. We saw what I can remember was a green Lincoln with gold rims parked in the head hog basketball coach parking spot. So we went to the same entrance we entered the day before where we walked alongside of Corey & Diwight who at the time had the hurt knee, to work the concession. Some baseball players were coming out  so as they passed by I grabbed the door and we went in. As we made Our way in here cones Nolan. I stopped ahd stuck out my hand and told him great game yesterday. He could've of shook us off or told us to get out, but instead he stop and took time to talk and take pictures. He also asked if he could hold my daughter. before he left I asked him if we could look around. He said help yourself. So for a good hour and a half we toured Bw by ourselves. I've got video of my daughter on the court walking on the hog at center court. Finnally we we were about to leave  when a man asked us what were doing in the building, I told him Nolan said it would be ok if we looked around. He then says Nolan is in charge of the bball team and not the building and that we need to leave. Thanks Nolan for something I'll never forget.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Loved the way he acted after he won the national championship....classy and cool....

javajockey

February 28, 2009, 04:37:13 pm #38 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:46:14 pm by javajockey
First on any Razorback fan's list has to be the NC.

After that:

Only Nolan Richardson could wear some of those boots and pull it off! 

As upset as I was with him at the time, "White-haired Devil" was funny.

And last but not least..."Freshmens"

trippigs

I tend to remember coaching style more than individual games and Nolan's style was all about confidence....he had it in spades. Also just can't forget his clothes and red boots. I have a funny recent Nolan story. My son works @ a bank where Nolan trades. Nolan came through the drive-in window and mistakenly drove off with the plastic tube after completing his transaction. An hour or so later he circled back through with his big dog in the front seat, replaced the tube, got my sons attention and they exchanged thumbs up and grins. Pretty funny I thought.

Sivad

His public lies and slurs crapped on any fond memory I had of him.

HuntinHog

Quote from: Sivad on February 28, 2009, 05:36:02 pm

So you figure you may as well crap on this thread eh?

jts900011

February 28, 2009, 07:07:37 pm #42 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:14:24 pm by jts900011
Quote from: Sivad on February 28, 2009, 05:36:02 pm
You are full of it.

Nolan Richardson is simply the greatest coach there ever has been and I for one am glad he was ours. I have never forgiven his ill treatment and how this state turned on this man for Frank Broyles. Nolan Richardson is twice the man Frank Broyles ever will be, and twice the coach. Frank Broyles is full of crap and I hope his legacy burns in hell like him. 

Marshfieldhog

Frank Broyles is a turd, glad he was flushed out. Anyone who choose to make Nutt "mini me" and give him special treatment over Nolan is a joke. Broyles may have done some nice things over his 50 years, but if someone if around 50 years then you would probably do a few good things.

Frank set the football program back years with his hiring of Crowe and then did the same with agreeing to hire Heath after he backed Nolan in a corner for years.

ArkieBrat

The NC is my proudest moment as a RB fan.  But the '94 Rainbow Classic in Honolulu is my favorite memory as my sister and I were able to be a part of it for a solid week.  Even tho I lived in Texas I joined my sister at LR airport to hop on the chartered jet to Hawaii.  Some of you may have been a part of that trip.  It was such an exciting time to be with RB fans and the press.  My favorite Nolan moment was at the luau when Nolan was called on stage and do the hula.  My memory on some things are vague but I believe a couple of BB players were onstage also.  If any of you were a part of that trip I would love to hear your comments and memories.
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: HogBreath on February 27, 2009, 08:11:20 pm

Speaking of memory lapse...you forgot to mention the Sweet 16 appearance & the record was 138-88 from 96-02, that is 50 games over .500 with the 1 losing season being his last.  BTW 5 NCAAT & 1 NIT appearance in 7 years is fairly solid.  Sorry if that's too "rosy" for you. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 28, 2009, 07:17:07 pm
Frank Broyles is a turd, glad he was flushed out. Anyone who choose to make Nutt "mini me" and give him special treatment over Nolan is a joke. Broyles may have done some nice things over his 50 years, but if someone if around 50 years then you would probably do a few good things.

Frank set the football program back years with his hiring of Crowe and then did the same with agreeing to hire Heath after he backed Nolan in a corner for years.
You're not very bright...as well as not very informed. I'd avoid posting much if I were you.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Granny fan

The suits and boots, and a biggie was how he nailed Billy Packer when Arkansas couldn't get any respect.