Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sidney Moncreifs Jersey still hangs in Barnhill....

Started by Mr. Porkleone, February 26, 2009, 04:52:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

trippigs

Mr. Porkleone

No, but I think it should be moved. You look at other schools and its a tradition to hang these. Also, we need to look at adding a few to the list.

The_Iceman

February 26, 2009, 05:50:00 pm #3 Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:54:14 pm by The_Iceman
We need to retire #'s and hang them in the rafters.

That would add so much to the atmosphere and tradition of BWA.

I would retire:

Williamson      Brewer       Day     Moncrief
   #34            #10         #10         #32

trippigs

Wow...what a great opportunity for the basketball program to shine up it's image. Moving Sidney's jersey to the Bud would create a legitimate reason for a festive ceremony, re-dedicate and honor one of the best Hogs ever, start a new tradition for retired jerseys, etc. Maybe the folks on here who tout having some stroke will get behind this positive idea. I am acquainted with the Chancellor and will mention this at the next opportunity.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 26, 2009, 05:23:54 pm
No, but I think it should be moved. You look at other schools and its a tradition to hang these. Also, we need to look at adding a few to the list.

#32 greatest
#34 achieved the most

Also rename the floor after Nolan and some other part of BWA after Sutton
Good is the enemy of great

Chris Bahn

February 26, 2009, 07:15:05 pm #6 Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:18:07 pm by Chris Bahn
I don't know that it actually "hangs" in Barnhill, but Moncrief's jersey is for sure not on display in Walton. No other jerseys are on display in Walton, which is a shame.

I wrote about that after visiting Rupp Arena last year. Obviously, Kentucky is on another level in terms of basketball tradition, but the Razorbacks have a lot to celebrate on their own.

Why they don't do it baffles me. Moncrief, The Brewers, Day, Williamson, etc.

And as much as Arkansas fans love Marcus Monk - in my opinion - it seemed really disrespectful that he was handed a No. 10 jersey to wear, considering Day and the Brewers wore that number. That one ought to be taken out of rotation forever.

Anyway... Who else deserves to be up there?

If anybody's interested... here's what we ran in ArkansasSports360 last spring.
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=103202.51453.115547&page=1

The_Iceman

I would either name the court after Nolan or name the street next to BWA "Nolan St."

clew

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 26, 2009, 10:46:47 pm
I would either name the court after Nolan or name the street next to BWA "Nolan St."

Beats the heck out of Leroy Pond Rd...no offense to his family or anything. :D
Pure as the dawn

Mr Burns

To me Mayberry goes before Day. I know people love Corey Beck, but Mayberry is the best point guard we ever had. He could score inside or outside, distribute the ball, played great defense, control tempo, etc., everything a point guard should be. Plus by all accounts he was and is a classy guy. That would be the knock on Day, his off court antics.

JoePaul03

Quote from: Mr Burns on February 26, 2009, 11:36:19 pm
To me Mayberry goes before Day. I know people love Corey Beck, but Mayberry is the best point guard we ever had. He could score inside or outside, distribute the ball, played great defense, control tempo, etc., everything a point guard should be. Plus by all accounts he was and is a classy guy. That would be the knock on Day, his off court antics.

I'm with you...Mayberry's #11 should go up before Day's #10
WCOB, 2003

The_Iceman

Quote from: JoePaul03 on February 27, 2009, 05:26:31 am
I'm with you...Mayberry's #11 should go up before Day's #10

well, i put Day's #10 up there because the Brewer's #10 was up there. I know thats not a good reason but Day was one of the greats. Regardless, #10 should not ever be warn again.

CallMeAl

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 27, 2009, 08:01:35 am
well, i put Day's #10 up there because the Brewer's #10 was up there. I know thats not a good reason but Day was one of the greats. Regardless, #10 should not ever be warn again.
I hope they don't have to warn #10 again. He should have learned his lesson by now. No more warnings, just quick discipline.
Hog since birth.

The Boar War

Retiring some more basketball jerseys (not numbers) is a move that is way overdue.  Move the jersey from Barnhill.  Put it up in the rafters with Williamson, Brewer SR, and Todd Day.  Name the court after Nolan and call it a day.

In a few years we can retire Joe Johnson's and Ronnie (if everything stays on track).   

Hawg Barry

Quote from: The Boar War on February 27, 2009, 02:26:25 pm

In a few years we can retire Joe Johnson's and Ronnie (if everything stays on track).   
Why do you say if everything stays on track? Jersey should be retired based on college career at UA, not based on his NBA career.
Maybe I misunderstood your post.
PetrinoBall is rolling!!

JFHWGBKRIII

I agree with Barry.  Forget the NBA stuff.  Do it for the college activity.
I also agree that retiring the jersey and not a number is the way to go.  Save the number for a special recruit.
And surely get them in to BWA.   That's where we play now and they were a part of our history.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 27, 2009, 08:01:35 am
Quote from: JFHWGBKRIII on February 27, 2009, 03:18:48 pm
I agree with Barry.  Forget the NBA stuff.  Do it for the college activity.
I also agree that retiring the jersey and not a number is the way to go.  Save the number for a special recruit.
And surely get them in to BWA.   That's where we play now and they were a part of our history.

I really like the idea of retiring just the jersey and not the number. Think of a large #10 jersey up in the rafters with Day and Brewer Sr and Brewer Jr and the next great recruit that wants the #10 imaging his name up there with theirs. If any numbers need to be retired, the only ones for me are #32 and 34.
Good is the enemy of great

guthhog

Believe it or not, the night Sid's number was retired in barnhill, they hung another banner that was a 3x SWC champs banner.  We played Rice that night and beat them.  I believe the year was 1990, and yours truly dropped the banners at that game from the rafters.  I was 15 years old and my best friend helped me.  Bill Rogers asked us to do it and we watched the entire game from that rafter. It was hot as hell up there and we dropped the Sid banner at halftime and the 3x champs banner during the expiring moments of that game.  I will remember that night on my death bed!
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

guthhog

Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

razrken

32 is not in barnhill anymore.  they should retire 10 11 25 32 34

Don't retire the numbers but hang the Jerseys from the rafters.  Be sure full length pictures in uniform of the greatest Hog players are on display in easy to find places all around Walton.