Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best place to watch game Chicago

Started by Burt B., September 07, 2012, 03:21:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt B.

Any known gathering places Hog fans use downtown Chicago?
Looking for a good watering hole.. ;D

Franchise_Hog

"Gamekeepers" pretty sure....on Armitage.

Franchise_Hog

September 07, 2012, 03:28:58 pm #2 Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:31:48 pm by Franchise_Hog
Nevermind, called my brother.....The Wheelhouse on Southport, it's in Wrigleyville though man, not downtown,downtown

cosmodrum

Quote from: Franchise_Hog on September 07, 2012, 03:28:58 pm
Nevermind, called my brother.....The Wheelhouse on Southport, it's in Wrigleyville though man, not downtown,downtown

Nothing a little jaunt up the Red Line can't fix...
Go away, batin'

Louis-Hogfan

the Razorback fan club meets at what is now called The Wheelhouse on Southport. It is about an $8.00 cab ride from downtown. If it has a turnout like last week, should be about 30-50 hog fans up in there. Really good bar food, and beer specials, televisions and red everywhere. Look for the hog flag near the corner of Addison and Southport.

Hogeration

Is ESPN Zone still open.  Went there back in 2000.  Pretty cool with the wall of TVs and recliners with headphones right there.

98hogs

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Hogeration on September 07, 2012, 04:38:04 pm
Is ESPN Zone still open.  Went there back in 2000.  Pretty cool with the wall of TVs and recliners with headphones right there.

If I'm not mistaken, those were all closed except for a select few in So. Cal.

Cale

Went to the Wheelhouse this past off season. seemed pretty sweet, friend who lives in chicago said on Gamedays it turns into a razorback bar. Food is really good too.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

hawganatic

Quote from: Hogeration on September 07, 2012, 04:38:04 pm

ESPN Zone is overrated.  Menu is overpriced and food is not that great.  So many better sports bars in Chicago...

drizzle

Quote from: Fake Black Uniform on September 07, 2012, 03:21:06 pm
Any known gathering places Hog fans use downtown Chicago?
Looking for a good watering hole.. ;D

Hey there, nice to come across someone wanting to watch the games with us here in Chicago. As others have mentioned, the alumni group in Chicago puts on watch parties at a bar called The Wheelhouse, formerly called Messner's, at the corner of Addison and Southport. (For smartphone navigation, the address is 3553 North Southport Avenue.) The staff is very good and very friendly to us, and we usually have some gameday specials available. We'll also have access to the sound system to play the fight song when we score, etc. All-in-all it's a great game-watching experience.

I hope you make it out there. I'll be getting there a little early to help set up the welcome table, so stop on by, ask for Drizzle, and we can share a drink and call the hogs.

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 07, 2012, 03:32:34 pm
Nothing a little jaunt up the Red Line can't fix...

While taking the Red Line up to Addison does afford one the opportunity to walk past Wrigley Field on the way to the bar, if you're coming from downtown or anywhere else south of Wrigleyville, taking the Brown Line to Southport will leave you with maybe a 2 block walk north to the bar.

FANONTHEHILL

We went to Messner's ( now the Wheelhouse ) when we lived up there.  Awesome atmosphere.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

FANONTHEHILL

Agree with above post. Red Line if you want a view of Wrigley, Brown Line to save time. Go to the CTA website for maps.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Burt B.

Thanks for the replies!  Hope to check out the wheelhouse. Myself and two Hog other hog fans!!

whosiskid

Yes, take Brown line. Red line to Belmont, then Brown line to Southport. First stop. Get off and walk north. You can get off at Addison and walk west if you don't mind walking. I don't. Might be faster going to Addison so you don't have to wait for the Brown line.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson