Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arizona State Scouting Report

Started by TRUHOG718, November 23, 2012, 04:44:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TRUHOG718

November 23, 2012, 04:44:36 pm Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:04:52 pm by TRUHOG718
Well let me start by saying Happy Thanksgiving Hogvillians. Im back for my second scouting report of the season. I have an all new respect for those who do these pre and post game reports because doing the research and taking the time to type all this is not the easiest of chores especially in a post thanksgiving hungover daze. 2 things I've learned in the past few days is that Michigan is pretty good, Vanderbilt is horrible and may not win 10 games, and Liquor b4 beer does not always mean your in the clear.

There's a saying in the bible that says "he who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."  But there is a saying in the South that says "Who In The HELL Left The Gate Open". The past few days have been a mix of enough alcohol, sex , and rock and roll to put me on  the holy hot seat for at least 6 months. Well thats just enough time to focus more on hog ball and less on my Full ride scholarship to Sinner University. With that being said our next opponent is the Pac 12 bottom feeder ASU Sun Devils. What irony as Ive been playing with the devils all week. But on to ASU.

Arizona State "Sun Devils" Pac-12, Coach Herb Sendek, 2011-2012 record 10-21 (6-12)

Before I get to their players and gameplan I want to say this so you all will understand. ASU plays 6 players............6  ::) . Leading Scorer Trent Lockett transfered to Marquette to be closer to his sick mom and in turn left a gaping hole in an already short handed team.  They will probably play 7 against us but the more they go into their bench the better for us because their bench besides one guy is basically Horrible. All five starters play 30 minutes. A Hellish combination for the 10 player rotations Arkansas is going to throw at them.

ASU star is redshirt freshman Jahil Carson. He had to sit out last year after being an honarable mention for the Mcdonalds game so you know the kids got game. One word to describe him is lightning quick. That was 2 words but who's counting. He may be the fastest player end to end in the country. Problem is he plays like a freshman and has never played against a team the caliber of these Razorbacks. He reminds me a lot of Fortson in as he walks the line between confident and foolish on the court. He will play almost the whole game and has no worries about being subbed out for lack of team depth. His problem now is being the only viable talent he tends to try to do too much and as a PG this at times takes the other four players out of the game. Our guards will have their hands full trying to stay in front of him. It is going to be interesting to see how he reacts when rattled. I expect to see flashes of greatness and flashes of "What The Hell Is This Devil Doing?"

ASU boasts some good size in 7'2 center Jordan Bachhynski. Hes a Morman who came on last year He's talented and tall enough to average a double double but slow and clunky enough to get ran out of the gym by the uptempo hogs.

IMO the glue guy for ASU is Carrick Felix. He was headed to Duke but somehow ended up at ASU after JUCO. He is 6-6, plays good defense and can flat out shoot it. Problem is when he has to handle the ball his is a turnover waiting to happen.  He is the most versatile player of the team. Jonathan Gilling is another forward who plays big minutes (36 against Cornell). He likes to shoot the three as four of the 5 starters for ASU do.

ASU will throw 6'1 Evan Gordon (Brother of Eric Gordon Hornets) at us as well as 6'2 Chris Colvin. Gordon has not lived up to expectations and Colvin who is decent when not suspended turned the ball over too much last year with  Carson sidelined.

Coach Sendek has dedicated his team to playing a run and gun style even without the numbers and will add players next year to compliment this year. They are in another rebuilding year and just do not have the horses to run with Arkansas for 40 minutes. I expect a close first half but watch for the last 10 minutes in the game. There should be a lot of short grabbing and mental exhaustion on the ASU side of things. Our biggest threat will be closing out on their shooters. They have 4 starters who will shoot the 3 without hesitation if left open. They do not make many but if you know Arkansas shooting teams always seem to find  their stroke against us. We have to close out and put our hands up early and often. Carson will try to push the ball ahead of our press and score or dish to open shooters so we have to be aware of this and hustle hustle hustle back on defense. We will get into their legs but we cannot in turn afford to shoot ourselves in the foot with undisciplined defense and turnovers of our own. 

This game should not be a guage of where we are as a team as I have read, but more of a prelude to us showing where we are as a team tomorrow against either Wisky or Creighton. If we are going to be an NCAA tourny team we need to win games like this. Happy Holidays Hogvillians and WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEEEE!!!!!!!!
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

TRU
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Dr. Starcs

Thanks truhog.

Is sendek still running his match up zone defense this year?

TRUHOG718

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 23, 2012, 04:48:50 pm
Thanks truhog.

Is sendek still running his match up zone defense this year?

Yes they do. That is Coach Sendek's signature defense. They want to play fast on offense and slow the game down, limit posssessions, and lull you into bad shots with the matchup zone. This also gives their team the rest they need (in theory) being they only play 6 guys any significant minutes.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

ThreeWayInn