Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I would be shocked if we see any staff changes

Started by IntegrityHog, December 05, 2016, 01:13:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IntegrityHog

I know there's been a lot of talk about "Who our next Defensive Coordinator" is going to be, and maybe questions about a few other positions.  I personally don't see Bret making any changes.

First of all, the man said that it wasn't happening.  Unlike most coaches, I think CBB is a straight-shooter, and doesn't use coachspeak to avoid answering questions.

Secondly, Bret is a very loyal person.  I don't see him discharging CRS or any other coach just because the fan base is upset, or just because they had one less than ideal season.  CBB has a long-term view on things, and probably looks back on that elite defense that CRS fielded a couple of years ago.  I would be willing to bet that Bret gives him time to get things fixed, much as he himself is being given 6 years to implement his plan.

Third, CBB knows that most of the defensive issues stem from a lack of talent.  He was left with a bare cupboard, and has been furiously recruiting to re-stock it and build depth.  He knows this takes time at a place like the U of A.

Lastly, CBB understands the importance of stability.  We are never going to make headway in the toughest division in the history of college football unless you build a firm foundation.  Consistency is the cornerstone of that foundation.

All of that said, I think you will see the same staff come back next year, and that CBB will work very hard to help them be successful.  2018 is still the year to watch, but I think we will be pleasantly surprised with what this staff will do next year.

ricepig

There will be changes, there have been changes every year.

DeltaBoy

We will have to wait and see and I expect no moves until after the Bowl game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

scooby21322

I suspect a coach or two will "pursue an opportunity" elsewhere.  That seems to be how CBB does his firings.  He always allows them to save face. 

code red

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2016, 01:16:10 pm
Agree and loyalty has nothing to do with staff changes.  Changes will be made.  Because progress has slowed tremendously.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: scooby21322 on December 05, 2016, 01:18:23 pm
I suspect a coach or two will "pursue an opportunity" elsewhere.  That seems to be how CBB does his firings.  He always allows them to save face.

3kgthog

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2016, 01:16:10 pm

Yet the OP talks about Bret knowing all about stability. LOL

The man is a revolving door of assistants and he's the common denominator.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 05, 2016, 01:45:18 pm

I think OM crowed about being the only SEC staff last year that didn't see any changes, yeah,  how did that work out? Staff changes happen every where in the SEC, some more than others.

elksnort

Especially when a coach is paid large coin, the responsibility of the program is his. I defended the defensive staff with people, but the defensive performance was egregious more than once this season. I do think talent is an issue, especially at LB, but not so much to the point of what we saw. In other words, some blitzing here and there, shuffling players around, anything might have helped.

So, by golly, some changes need to be made. Agim is for sure very talented. And I suppose Capps will be a real player too. The corners improved a lot I thought. So, I don't think that it was all talent.

Let's not feel sorry for modern day big time college coaches. They make enough money to survive if they get canned.

JIHawg

I think Enos would jump, if the right job came along.

longpig

If nothing else Coach B is objective.  If he views this seasons defensive shortcomings as a result of poor coaching/scheme then changes will be made.  If he sees it as players inability to get fundamentally sound and execute a scheme he won't.  He attributed most our losses to poor fundamentals and execution by the players this season. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

HF#1

Wouldn't shock me if some low level assistants get let go or go elsewhere on their own.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

onebadrubi

Just out of curiosity but I bet you wont or cant answer this. 

How many coaches has Bielema hired while at Arkansas that left for a lesser position at a significantly lower school or opportunity?

I honestly can't think of one.  Our last two staffs fired coaches who couldn't even get jobs... let that soak in for a minute while you are thinking of your next bash...

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: JIHawg on December 05, 2016, 01:50:53 pm
I think Enos would jump, if the right job came along.

Head Coaching position.  He wasn't a Coordinator before his arrival
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ZERO

Quote from: elksnort on December 05, 2016, 01:48:54 pm
I do think talent is an issue, especially at LB, but not so much to the point of what we saw.

I agree completely. The lack of decent players is definitely an issue, but that excuse loses credibility when you realize that we returned almost every defensive starter and seemed to take a step backward. On top of that, why are we going into the fifth recruiting cycle this desperate and depleted? It's one thing to field and underwhelming defense on any given year. It's another thing to return the lion's share of your starters and put up some of the worst defensive performances since joining the SEC.

I don't know what's going on in Bielema's head. He has at minimum two more years to get this figured out, but we're already starting to see the beginning stages of apathy set into the fan base. What he's doing isn't sustainable if he wants to keep people interested in Hog football. People who have lived through West titles and the Petrino years (see: basically everyone) aren't going to keep watching games if they keep ending up like the Missouri or Auburn game.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

PorkSoda

Quote from: longpig on December 05, 2016, 01:56:29 pm
He attributed most our losses to poor fundamentals and execution by the players this season. 
which is the coaches job to teach.

I wouldnt be suprised if he kept RS another year or releases him, but one thing is for sure, they need to figure out what went wrong and fix it.  this isn't a matter of mediocre defense and wanting to improve.  this was a complete collapse of the defense. 

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Shorttimer

Apparently, some of you fail to recognize IntegrityHog's persistent aura of faux sincerity.  He scoffs at all of you.

Redhogs

Quote from: Shorttimer on December 05, 2016, 02:57:51 pm
Apparently, some of you fail to recognize IntegrityHog's persistent aura of faux sincerity.  He scoffs at all of you.
I'm beginning to think you are right, he can't possibly believe the crap he posts. Definitely a troll of the century award nominee.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

longpig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 05, 2016, 02:53:23 pm
which is the coaches job to teach.

I wouldnt be suprised if he kept RS another year or releases him, but one thing is for sure, they need to figure out what went wrong and fix it.  this isn't a matter of mediocre defense and wanting to improve.  this was a complete collapse of the defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A
Don't be scared, be smart.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 05, 2016, 01:13:44 pm
I know there's been a lot of talk about "Who our next Defensive Coordinator" is going to be, and maybe questions about a few other positions.  I personally don't see Bret making any changes.

First of all, the man said that it wasn't happening.  Unlike most coaches, I think CBB is a straight-shooter, and doesn't use coachspeak to avoid answering questions.

Secondly, Bret is a very loyal person.  I don't see him discharging CRS or any other coach just because the fan base is upset, or just because they had one less than ideal season.  CBB has a long-term view on things, and probably looks back on that elite defense that CRS fielded a couple of years ago.  I would be willing to bet that Bret gives him time to get things fixed, much as he himself is being given 6 years to implement his plan.

Third, CBB knows that most of the defensive issues stem from a lack of talent.  He was left with a bare cupboard, and has been furiously recruiting to re-stock it and build depth.  He knows this takes time at a place like the U of A.

Lastly, CBB understands the importance of stability.  We are never going to make headway in the toughest division in the history of college football unless you build a firm foundation.  Consistency is the cornerstone of that foundation.

All of that said, I think you will see the same staff come back next year, and that CBB will work very hard to help them be successful.  2018 is still the year to watch, but I think we will be pleasantly surprised with what this staff will do next year.
I don't argue that our defensive talent level obviously isn't up on par with most other SEC programs; however, there are a couple of things that truly bother me about the (most part) pitiful performance of the DL and LBs (and to a lesser extent DBs). First, their fundamentals especially against the outside run schemes of most of our SEC opponents was poor to say the least. Look at where a huge number of long plays came and you will see we were especially vulnerable on the edges. Whether or not that was a result of some players being out of position (not being played in their best positions) can be argued. However, what can't be denied that our run defense, supposedly the line was our most experienced/greatest strength, was poor all season long. Add to the fact that mobile QBs pretty much ran wild on us and the overall lack of performance was extremely troubling. Secondly, once again our LB play left much to be desired as well. While I realize the injury to Greenlaw wasn't helpful to say the least, the overall play of Ellis continued to be lacking. I think Brooks is a hard worker, intelligent and gives it his all; however, let's also face facts that Brooks is NOT what you want to build your "backer" play around. And what the heck was the staff doing with Ramsey? I mean here's a guy who always impressed me with potential at LB. However, it seemed like the staff couldn't make up its mind whether to leave him there or move him in to DE (and a light one at that).

So whether one wants to blame the deficiency of results on subpar talent or not, IMO one thing we DO know is the poor performance against our peers in not arguable. One other thing: while a team may not have as much talent as its opponent, the one thing a staff can offer, besides schemes, is teaching the correct tackling and coverage fundamentals. That should be goal #1 first and foremost. Say what you will our defensive fundamentals have been sorely lacking for several years now. And that COMES DOWN TO COACHING (or lack thereof). Personally I think Rhodes did a pretty fair job with our backs considering he had just one year to work with them. I thought I say progress that is something we can hopefully build on.

Frankly whether or not CBB is loyal to this staff or not, he also has to be realistic when it comes to results. If they're either not going to recruit/can't recruit better overall talent then they'd better figure out a way to get the most out of the players they do sign. And if that ain't being done then someone/something has to change. It's not the players that are being paid the big bucks for mediocre/poor results. It's the guys who are under contract and are supposedly being judged by the results on the field. Based on what I've seen the last two years the value on our dollars invested on the defensive side is poor indeed.

One other thing: our lack of upper class leadership was every evident this year. Sorry, you may not have the talents of a 'Bama (who does), LSU or Auburn, however, you also don't expect to get completely blown out by the latter two. And  no one can excuse in any way, shape, or form the miserable and disgraceful second half against a truly lousy Missouri squad. The players acted as is they didn't care in the least that they actually had an opportunity to improve their overall season record for a third straight year. In fact, they acted as if THEY were the team with the 4-8 record rather than the Tigers. Just laying down like they did was truly inexcusable and showed NO heart of soul by the team's (supposed) leaders on both side of the ball.

The Kig

While I agree that he seemed emphatic stating he doesn't plan to make any changes, it would be monumentally shortsighted if that is actually what transpires.  Whether it was coachspeak or they fall on their own sword taking a role elsewhere, making NO changes implies no accountability for performance on the coaches. That means it is either all on CBB (improbable or at least unlikely he owns it) or all on the players. 

Although I readily acknowledge we have talent issues, there have been problems exposed by teams that go deeper than just size/speed.   Timid play calling and poor fundamentals (alignment, tackling, assignment) all point to coaching.   

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.   We saw that all year as we continued to line up each down, series, quarter and game with no changes, no adjustments, and no blitzing. 

Teams that recognized that pounded us into oblivion.  Teams like Florida ignored the facts and only ran 14 times with a hurt QB...and got beat badly.  Much like last season, our success/failure rested squarely on the shoulders of the health of a guy named Allen.  Last year, the OL kept BA upright enough that he finally was able to shine.  This year AA earned his toughness cred by getting back up after bad OL play often left him battered.

I won't stop being a Hog fan if there are no changes to the staff, but it would definitely make me skeptical of CBB.  And I would definitely be shocked if there are NO changes.
Poker Porker

jgphillips3

The defense was FAR worse than the available depth and talent.  That's the result of coaching, sceheme or both.  If there is no change to coaching and no change to scheme, well, it could easily be the beginning of the end.  The engine that drove our offense this year was sure handed receiving and losing Hatcher, Morgan, Sprinkle, Cornelius and Reed (not that he figured in much) will hinder our ability to replicate this offense next year so the defense needs to make major strides to even do as well record wise next year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2016, 03:38:15 pm
While I agree that he seemed emphatic stating he doesn't plan to make any changes,
there is zero chance of him saying he is going to make changes until he has already made the change.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawgsalot

Guys I think some of you are beating a drum that is broken.  Bret has proven he has no issues getting rid of weak links he perceives.  I'm not sure how anyone can refute that, he's done it here he's done it elsewhere.  If he wants to keep Rob it's because he truly believes in his coaching ability.

BallHog1

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2016, 03:38:15 pm

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.   We saw that all year as we continued to line up each down, series, quarter and game with no changes, no adjustments, and no blitzing. 

I agree with your quote. I always think of the part I included when people start screaming about firing the head coach. Stability trumps the flavor of the month and continually firing coaches and starting over is no way to get anywhere.

Youngsta71701

If we don't make any staff changes we need staff position changes, job title changes, or scheme changes if nothing else. Something has to be done to at least show the fans that we're trying to improve on defense. Or he will lose support and the seats will start becoming empty real quick.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pudgepork

The 2015 defense was bad for most of the year.  The glaring weakness was lb play and depth and d backs play and depth.    The 2016 defense regressed further except for the tcu, fla and miss st games
I think d back play improved but the front 7 looked awful.   Injuries played a part but poor schemes and coaching were the biggest part.

While acknolwdgeing CBB is loyal to his staff, I'm left to wonder if he'll keep this staff intact after 2 yrs of poor results, what the heck did Mark  Markuson  do to get fired after just a couple of games?  Bring in ladders at practice for his crew to block against?

tophawg19

yeah it really sucks that bad coaches like him and Saban have huge turnover every year . just think what they could do if the kept everyone
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Kig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 05, 2016, 03:49:37 pm
there is zero chance of him saying he is going to make changes until he has already made the change.

Totally agree...and wouldnt expect him to announce that in a post game presser.  However, what was odd was the phrasing left no wiggle room that could have been an out if it was coming. 
Poker Porker

hog_fan

He hasn't fired one coach while at Arkansas. Each year 3 have left on their own-some truly on their own and others left with his encouragement. Each year, he expected (hope no changes). If anything Robb can go back to the NFL. I expect changes (don't know who) to happen the 1st or 2nd week of January. I think changes changes will be defense unless Anderson bolts.

nwahogfan1

He knows he has to change something or he will have to take the blame for this Butt ugly defense of ours and all the weak defensive recruiting.  Someone has to be held responsible for one of the worse defenses in NCAA and SEC. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 05, 2016, 03:49:37 pm

Agreed. Smith has a $1.5 million buyout, but it's not paid if he gets a new job.

Hawg Life

HoggusMaximus

I believe that if we go into next year with the same defensive staff and we have the same defensive showing as this year, bret wont have much room to maneuver.

Snorts

Vandy doesn't have anything like the talent we have on D, yet they are effective on that side of the ball.  Reason?  They play like a bunch of kamakazies, launching themselves with abandon at the opponents, pursuing like demons, going all out on every play.

We don't do this.  We do not play hard.  We look slow, sure, but a lot of that is because our defensive players are allowed to play at 90%, trot when in backside pursuit, run off of blocks rather than hit and separate, avoid contact, and generally not give 100%.

This is ALL on the coaches, my friends.  I am not sure that it is possible to fix this with the current DC.  It is like having a boss that starts out lax then tries to toughen up.  Basically impossible to pull off.

You realize that we weren't just "bad" this year on defense?  We were HISTORICALLY bad, and I'm not talking about Razorback history but the entire Power 5 history of this century.  I don't know exactly how we ended up, but at one point late in the year we were allowing the most yards per rush ALL TIME of any Power 5 team in the 21st Century.

That isn't just bad, it is disgraceful.  We aren't that lacking in talent to be able to beat out every other lousy defense this century as far as ineptness goes.  We just don't play very hard, and you cannot scheme your way out of that.  You cannot recruit good enough players to defeat lack of effort.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Snorts on December 06, 2016, 07:25:33 am
Vandy doesn't have anything like the talent we have on D, yet they are effective on that side of the ball.  Reason?  They play like a bunch of kamakazies, launching themselves with abandon at the opponents, pursuing like demons, going all out on every play.

We don't do this.  We do not play hard.  We look slow, sure, but a lot of that is because our defensive players are allowed to play at 90%, trot when in backside pursuit, run off of blocks rather than hit and separate, avoid contact, and generally not give 100%.

This is ALL on the coaches, my friends.  I am not sure that it is possible to fix this with the current DC.  It is like having a boss that starts out lax then tries to toughen up.  Basically impossible to pull off.

You realize that we weren't just "bad" this year on defense?  We were HISTORICALLY bad, and I'm not talking about Razorback history but the entire Power 5 history of this century.  I don't know exactly how we ended up, but at one point late in the year we were allowing the most yards per rush ALL TIME of any Power 5 team in the 21st Century.

That isn't just bad, it is disgraceful.  We aren't that lacking in talent to be able to beat out every other lousy defense this century as far as ineptness goes.  We just don't play very hard, and you cannot scheme your way out of that.  You cannot recruit good enough players to defeat lack of effort.

On a positive note, the 21st century has only had 17 seasons.  There's ample opportunity for worse seasons to occur.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

farmhawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 05, 2016, 06:43:42 pm
yeah it really sucks that bad coaches like him and Saban have huge turnover every year . just think what they could do if the kept everyone
you are correct and he is definitely placed in a group with saban and liar.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

The "cupboard is bare" argument no longer works. We have some of the best talent on the hill that we've had in a long time (especially on the D Line). Yes much of that talent is young, but that's why we need coaches that excel at player development. Quite frankly I don't have confidence in any of our defensive coaches ability to do that. The only exception I might make is Paul Rhoads and that's only because he hasn't been here a full year yet
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 06, 2016, 04:17:10 am
I believe that if we go into next year with the same defensive staff and we have the same defensive showing as this year, bret wont have much room to maneuver.
I could see that for sure.  Most of out players are on roller skates our there.  That has nothing to do with talent.  That is no want to and lack of effort.  That's on coaches.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

farmhawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 06, 2016, 08:20:01 am
The "cupboard is bare" argument no longer works. We have some of the best talent on the hill that we've had in a long time (especially on the D Line). Yes much of that talent is young, but that's why we need coaches that excel at player development. Quite frankly I don't have confidence in any of our defensive coaches ability to do that. The only exception I might make is Paul Rhoads and that's only because he hasn't been here a full year yet
part of the plan, develop the players before we have to play them. They will be studs as soon as we put them on the field, will surprise the crap out of our opponents. By the time they figure it out we will have won the conference. Pure genius in my opinion.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 05, 2016, 01:13:44 pm

You are truly a genius troll. Best I've ever seen on Hogville. You literally never break character. Bravo sir!

You even got me to bite on this one...simply put you are FOS. Bielema goes through coaches like poop through a goose. LOL importance of stability my a$$.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Frank Broyles once said that he wanted to "lose" at least 1 person on his staff every year because they cant get new ideas by keeping the same people around. I believe Saban does this as well
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 06, 2016, 10:48:22 am
Frank Broyles once said that he wanted to "lose" at least 1 person on his staff every year because they cant get new ideas by keeping the same people around. I believe Saban does this as well

It's also a sign of success.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

redleg

We damn well BETTER see one staff change...Robb smith MUST GO! Paul Rhodes is a better DC and he's already on the staff! Most Hog fans will cry foul if Smith is still on staff for the 2017 season, especially if the D is why Arkansas has another lackluster year.
Fire Robb, promote Paul!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

Quote from: redleg on December 06, 2016, 11:18:47 am
We damn well BETTER see one staff change...Robb smith MUST GO! Paul Rhodes is a better DC and he's already on the staff! Most Hog fans will cry foul if Smith is still on staff for the 2017 season, especially if the D is why Arkansas has another lackluster year.
Fire Robb, promote Paul!

Most??? Have you run an official HV "pole" with Frito Pie as an option? If not, then your assertion is invalid.

code red

Quote from: redleg on December 06, 2016, 11:18:47 am
Fire Robb, promote Paul!
And Mr. Bret better think about that before he decides to keep him.  The defense has regressed that last 2 years.  Esp play at the second level.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: code red on December 06, 2016, 11:26:36 am
And Mr. Bret better think about that before he decides to keep him.  The defense has regressed that last 2 years.  Esp play at the second level.

Corners were miles better.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

PorkSoda