Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How CBB voted in coaches poll released

Started by Hogwild, December 04, 2016, 09:05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

Editor's Note: In a statement, the Arkansas athletics department wrote Virginia Tech was mistakenly left off of Bielema's ballot
Here is Bret Bielema's Dec. 4 ballot in the Amway Coaches' Poll:
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio State
4 Washington
5 Michigan
6 Penn State
7 Southern Cal
8 Oklahoma
9 Florida State
10 Wisconsin
11 West Virginia
12 Auburn
13 Colorado
14 Oklahoma State
15 Florida
16 LSU
17 Stanford
18 South Florida
19 Western Michigan
20 Iowa
21 Utah
22 Nebraska
23 Temple
24 Kentucky
25 Louisville

ZERO

He put 9-3 Louisville at #25 and 7-5 Kentucky at #24? 'K.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

NuttinItUp

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ZERO on December 04, 2016, 09:09:46 pm

Probably why coaches shouldn't have a vote. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BigoBoys

Quote from: ZERO on December 04, 2016, 09:09:46 pm
Had you heard that Kentucky beat Louisville?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 04, 2016, 09:12:00 pm
Probably why coaches shouldn't have a vote. 

Did he actually fill it out?

I know a lot of coaches just have the sports information director or someone else fill it out for them.

WilsonHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 04, 2016, 09:13:15 pm
Did he actually fill it out?

I know a lot of coaches just have the sports information director or someone else fill it out for them.

That's the practice, I think. The instructions I got were not to do anything that stuck out.

ZERO

Quote from: BigoBoys on December 04, 2016, 09:12:42 pm

Yes. I'm also aware they're a five loss and seven win team.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hobhog

Quote from: ZERO on December 04, 2016, 09:25:08 pm
Yes. I'm also aware they're a five loss and seven win team.

So head to head match ups don't matter. Just records. WMU should be #2 then.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: BigoBoys on December 04, 2016, 09:12:42 pm

Then why is Florida state #9 when they lost to Louisville?  If it's all about being ahead of teams that you beat.  Heck it should just be Alabama vs western Michigan or whoever it is that is 13-0. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 04, 2016, 09:23:48 pm
That's the practice, I think. The instructions I got were not to do anything that stuck out.

Hmmm, he should have given instructions to be sure all possible bowl opponents were included.

DenaoStyle

Can we make it through a month without our coach doing something to aid in an opponent's motivation?  (intentional or inadvertent...impact is the same)

AirForceHog

Big deal. A lot you will find just about anything to bitch about. He gets a vote he can put whatever he wants. If it took a coach forgetting to put their team on his ballot for motivation. So be it good grief.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Well at least he knows his team doesn't belong on there....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

gangstaback

DaCaddy.

Is it shady that we inadvertently left Virginia Tech out of the rankings? Our next opponent..?

DaCaddy.

My first hogville post! Been following for years.

The Kig

Quote from: DenaoStyle on December 04, 2016, 09:44:08 pm
Can we make it through a month without our coach doing something to aid in an opponent's motivation?  (intentional or inadvertent...impact is the same)

Why?  You can't seem to make it through a thread without acting like a [censored insert word here].  He probably didn't fill it out and even if he did probably gave very little thought to anyone outside the Top 10.  Does it matter who he put at 24?  Who is going to be motivated? VA Tech for not making his ballot?  A 4 loss ACC team is NO better than a 7-5 SEC team...well, at least a Kentucky team. 

VA Tech shouldn't need any "motivation" to beat an SEC team....in fact, we should find some motivation to try to stop ANYONE.  We suck defensively and VA Tech well curb stomp us without needing anything on their bulletin board.
Poker Porker

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

(notOM)Rebel123

CBB moved Va Tech up from 17 to 15th. But whoever submitted the ballot left them off. No big deal. Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Deep Shoat

Some of y'all will take any excuse to bash the HC, won't you? 

Forget being good fans, just try to be decent human beings.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

popcornhog

Quote from: hobhog on December 04, 2016, 09:32:37 pm
So head to head match ups don't matter. Just records. WMU should be #2 then.

Lol, WUT? Both records and head to head matter. He never said head to head doesn't matter.
WPS

Hogwild

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 04, 2016, 09:37:05 pm
Then why is Florida state #9 when they lost to Louisville?   

Team A vs Team B- who should be ranked higher and go to the Orange Bowl?

-Both finished with the same overall record
-Team A will likely have the Heisman throphy winner under center
-Team A finished two games above Team B, in the same division
-Team A beat Team B by 7 touchdowns
-Team A's head coach pissed off the chairman of the selection committee by lying to him at his previous job

LZH

The VT board that I looked around on this morning mentioned this. No one believes it was intentional, though.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 05, 2016, 07:36:24 am
+1000
You realize the University Messed up Bielemas ballot right? They released a statement to apologize
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: DenaoStyle on December 04, 2016, 09:44:08 pm
Well, Bielema actually didn't do anything this time. The university messed up his ballot.

I do not believe BB intentionally left Vir Tech off the ballot, however, I do not believe the Department by accident screwed up the coaches wishes.  Are we at the University this piss poor with handling the simplest of matters?  Overall, it cannot help but maybe it won't hurt.  We do not need to give Vir Tech anything to go on their board.  This up coming ass kicking will likely be bad enough as it is.

LZH

This has happened before...during Nutt's days I believe.

I've always thought coaches, even if they DID actually vote themselves, wouldn't be the greatest judges on a Top 25 list. I doubt most ever watch much football outside of their own conference...not during the season, anyway.

Sir Oinksalot

I don't believe any of us here would have left them off...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Hogwild

Quote from: LZH on December 05, 2016, 08:51:58 am
This has happened before...during Nutt's days I believe.

I've always thought coaches, even if they DID actually vote themselves, wouldn't be the greatest judges on a Top 25 list. I doubt most ever watch much football outside of their own conference...not during the season, anyway.

You would be surprised at how much tape those coaches watch.  CBB would have seen West Virginia, USC, Wisconsin, UCLA, Clemson, and Fla. State on tape this year.

DiamondHogFan

Why are there still coaches and AP polls?  Do they even count for anything anymore?

LZH

Quote from: Hogwild on December 05, 2016, 10:17:25 am
You would be surprised at how much tape those coaches watch.  CBB would have seen West Virginia, USC, Wisconsin, UCLA, Clemson, and Fla. State on tape this year.

I don't know about being surprised, cause I know they watch a helluva lot of video of opponents and the other teams they play and what works/doesn't work. But a football writer who votes in the AP probably watches up to four or five games a week from all over the country.

Of course I'm sure they all watch SportsCenter and college football highlights/shows as much or more than we do.

A day or two after it was announced that we were playing OU in the Cotton Bowl a friend of mine ran into HDN and asked him what did he think of them. He said that other than watching the national championship game the year before, he didn't know anything about them yet. Of course that was Houston Dale Nutt, too LOL.

buldozer

Quote from: DaCaddy. on December 04, 2016, 10:58:23 pm
Is it shady that we inadvertently left Virginia Tech out of the rankings? Our next opponent..?

Purely a coincident I am sure...... just like CBB watching the VT-Clemson game because he had heard they were in the "running" to be a bowl opponent

onebadrubi

I heard something interesting this past weekend about the coaches poll.  2011 it was Bobby Petrino's coaches poll and positioning of Oklahoma st that got Bama in to play LSU over Oklahoma state.  So coaches polls have played a part before, but in todays system I don't think they are much more than another poll.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 10:55:01 am
I heard something interesting this past weekend about the coaches poll.  2011 it was Bobby Petrino's coaches poll and positioning of Oklahoma st that got Bama in to play LSU over Oklahoma state.  So coaches polls have played a part before, but in todays system I don't think they are much more than another poll.
Your last statement is exactly right.  It means nothing.  The AP poll also means nothing other than to give ESPN something to talk about and hype matchups before the CFP rankings start.

There should be no rankings until the CFP rankings start.  I think it would change the way the committee started their process.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: LZH on December 05, 2016, 07:36:44 am
The VT board that I looked around on this morning mentioned this. No one believes it was intentional, though.

Of course it wasn't.  And Lou Holtz doesn't look for a useful controversy during bowl prep either.  ;)

hawgsalot

Dr. Starcs

I can't believe Fuente left us out too! 
What a coincidence. (Lol)

clutch

Quote from: Hogwild on December 05, 2016, 07:27:55 am
Team A vs Team B- who should be ranked higher and go to the Orange Bowl?

-Both finished with the same overall record
-Team A will likely have the Heisman throphy winner under center
-Team A finished two games above Team B, in the same division
-Team A beat Team B by 7 touchdowns
-Team A's head coach pissed off the chairman of the selection committee by lying to him at his previous job

Jeff Long has no say in who goes to the Orange Bowl, only the college football playoffs. Also, he isn't the chairman of the selection committee anymore.