Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ricky Town

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, December 04, 2016, 05:38:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

buldozer

Too bad someone has to break a foot on this team for the guy behind to get any playing time. On most teams once you have a comfortable lead the second and third team guys get playing time, but not so much here in certain positions. I seen Alabama's backup QB come in and play late in the SEC championship game Saturday. Those moves do a lot to build players and keep them content as well as give them hope and confidence that you are at least honestly evaluating them in a game type atmosphere. When guys get in the game now and then and see its not so easy they get to eat some humble pie and are more likely to stick around and develop IMO. When they never get in the game, they think its easy and they get to thinking they will never get a fair shot and transfer out. Short sited on CBBs part IMO

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on December 05, 2016, 10:09:47 am
Too bad someone has to break a foot on this team for the guy behind to get any playing time. On most teams once you have a comfortable lead the second and third team guys get playing time, but not so much here in certain positions. I seen Alabama's backup QB come in and play late in the SEC championship game Saturday. Those moves do a lot to build players and keep them content as well as give them hope and confidence that you are at least honestly evaluating them in a game type atmosphere. When guys get in the game now and then and see its not so easy they get to eat some humble pie and are more likely to stick around and develop IMO.

Would that be the backup QB that is transferring?

https://twitter.com/TDAlabamaMag/status/805622766221279232

tolerati

Good Luck to Mitchell and Town.

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The Kig on December 04, 2016, 11:18:50 pm
Good for both of them. If they will not get PT here, why not get it elsewhere?  Not sure how much of a shot anyone not named Allen was given and it seems we now have 1st and 2nd settled for for years to come.  Unfortunately for us, we don't have good depth and could use both.  Wish them well.

Not sure how anyone expects to compete for playing time when they don't take the time to absorb the basics. I watched one day last fall when all of the quarterbacks got a chance at reps in practice. Town came in for his turn. He emerged from the huddle and stood uncertainly over center for several seconds until somebody blew a whistle. Enos said something to Town and he shuffled back to the sideline.

Afterward I asked what had happened. I was told that Town didn't know what to do on the play that was called. I'd never seen that happen before to a QB.

As Joe Ferguson once said to me, " A QB is different from every other player on the team. He has to know everything. If he makes a mistake he's sending a signal to all of his teammmates that it's okay for them to make mistakes."

Nobody's perfect but I understood what he meant.

hogsanity

Quote from: buldozer on December 05, 2016, 10:09:47 am
Too bad someone has to break a foot on this team for the guy behind to get any playing time. On most teams once you have a comfortable lead the second and third team guys get playing time, but not so much here in certain positions. I seen Alabama's backup QB come in and play late in the SEC championship game Saturday. Those moves do a lot to build players and keep them content as well as give them hope and confidence that you are at least honestly evaluating them in a game type atmosphere. When guys get in the game now and then and see its not so easy they get to eat some humble pie and are more likely to stick around and develop IMO. When they never get in the game, they think its easy and they get to thinking they will never get a fair shot and transfer out. Short sited on CBBs part IMO

Almost every coach, college or pro, plays his starting Qb until the game is far beyond out of reach. Take Bama last Sat. That game was over at half time, yet the backup QB did not come until until late in the 4th Q, and then only to hand off to the 5th string rb. Now, I am not saying that is a good idea, I am just saying that is not something limited to CBB, and to claim it is such is erroneous.

And as pointed out, said Bama back up was so happy with his PT in the seccg he announced he is leaving.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razoredge178

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 05, 2016, 12:06:19 am
You can't blame Town, Arkansas is always loaded at QB.

Wow loaded? Really? You mean as far as the young men's prospects of being good? Last time I checked the average fan has seen Austin Allen, and Ty Storey- but no Ty Storey passes. Are you getting some down-low that most of us aren't?

HawgFanByChoice

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 05, 2016, 10:19:14 am
Not sure how anyone expects to compete for playing time when they don't take the time to absorb the basics. I watched one day last fall when all of the quarterbacks got a chance at reps in practice. Town came in for his turn. He emerged from the huddle and stood uncertainly over center for several seconds until somebody blew a whistle. Enos said something to Town and he shuffled back to the sideline.

Afterward I asked what had happened. I was told that Town didn't know what to do on the play that was called. I'd never seen that happen before to a QB.

As Joe Ferguson once said to me, " A QB is different from every other player on the team. He has to know everything. If he makes a mistake he's sending a signal to all of his teammmates that it's okay for them to make mistakes."

+1

Sir Oinksalot

...great insight Mike, thanks!!
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

hogsanity

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 05, 2016, 10:30:35 am
Wow loaded? Really? You mean as far as the young men's prospects of being good? Last time I checked the average fan has seen Austin Allen, and Ty Storey- but no Ty Storey passes. Are you getting some down-low that most of us aren't?

Well, lets see, AA was the starter, TS was the backup ( most likely a short term guy, had AA been ruled out for several weeks, Kelly may have seen his RS removed ), Kelly was 3rd, and their may have even been someone else before Town. Loaded is a subjective term, but it was pretty clear Town was no where any playing time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

longpig

Be interesting to see if Bateman or Barnett follow Kiffin.
Don't be scared, be smart.

depressed_fan

Not sure why anyone would be surprised or why this is even news. Didn't we have 4 quarterbacks last spring? And they were all supposed to be the next Peyton Manning? You don't get 4 decent qb's on a roster. 2 if you are extremely lucky. The rest of them transfer . Most likely Ty Story will transfer too.

razoredge178

Quote from: hogsanity on December 05, 2016, 10:35:33 am
Well, lets see, AA was the starter, TS was the backup ( most likely a short term guy, had AA been ruled out for several weeks, Kelly may have seen his RS removed ), Kelly was 3rd, and their may have even been someone else before Town. Loaded is a subjective term, but it was pretty clear Town was no where any playing time.

Town was nowhere near any playing time at ARK when he had his toes in the sand in Los Angeles. Hell when I questioned the move last year I got crucified on this ignorant site.

But if you're defending his departure to us being "loaded"...mmmmkkk. Just b/c he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart doesn't mean we're loaded.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorWhacker on December 05, 2016, 09:31:11 am
Could you justify this statement? It appears what you're saying is Town or Storey was better than Austin but the coaches played Austin simply because his last name was Allen, which would be a foolish statement.

These dumbies also said Peavy was better than BA but BA got the nod because of daddy.  Typical Arkansas fanbase sometimes...

hogsanity

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 05, 2016, 11:00:09 am

Town was nowhere near any playing time at ARK when he had his toes in the sand in Los Angeles. Hell when I questioned the move last year I got crucified on this ignorant site.

But if you're defending his departure to us being "loaded"...mmmmkkk. Just b/c he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart doesn't mean we're loaded.

Guess you missed the part where I said "loaded is a subjective term". What the team does have is a number of Qb's the coaches have rated in front of RT.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 05, 2016, 07:06:37 am
Good luck, Ricky and Duwop.  We barely knew you.
They know Cole Kelley is the man next in line. Can't blame them. I still maintain that Rick Town will be heard from again (and not just in a transfer report).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

AirWarren

redleg

He was a dud. No one cares.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HF#1

Nice info Mike. I remember when some folks on here thought he was the golden boy sure to steal the job away from everyone.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Youngsta71701

Either he was overrated or we didn't give him a real shot...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 05, 2016, 03:21:22 pm
maybe both but definitely "B". They like what they have in Cole Kelley and Dalton Hyatt.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The Kig

Not sure

Mike, that wasn't an attempt by me to restart the QB pissing match from last summer.  More a function of the future does have much more clarity around our 1-2 QB pecking order going forward. 

Wasn't an RT guy or any other initials. Wanted the best guy to emerge with the job and pretty consistently stated so. The only thing that does seem clear is NONE of the other options were as far along as many thought. 
Poker Porker

JayBell

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 05, 2016, 03:21:22 pmEither he was overrated or we didn't give him a real shot...
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 05, 2016, 03:46:25 pm
maybe both but definitely "B". They like what they have in Cole Kelley and Dalton Hyatt.

Didn't he run the scout team?  Like, a lot?  You get your chance to show the coaches what you can do.  They were talking the other day about how Hurts ran the scout team shortly after he enrolled at Alabama.

If you're good enough, it shows.  I'm tired of the conspiracy theories that nepotism was to blame for Arkansas fielding the second- and third-best quarterbacks in the SEC over the last two seasons.

I'm not saying either of you said that, but why can't we just accept Enos knows what he's talking about when he's been excellent for Arkansas' quarterbacks since he came on?  It's more reasonable to assume Brandon, Austin and now Kelley showed they were the best quarterbacks, not that someone else got shortchanged.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: southeasthog on December 05, 2016, 05:32:51 am
Oh look, another "The Allen brothers have been our starters because of their daddy."

Not necessarily.  I think they were always the best options, the coaches knew that, and there wasn't any serious competition otherwise.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 05, 2016, 03:21:22 pm

He left USC for a reason.  It wasn't because he was all-world.  He's the 21st century Gary Brashears.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.