Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to beat VA Tech???

Started by lakecityhog, December 04, 2016, 04:10:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

I did not watch a lot of the Clemson/VA Tech game, but what I saw tells me that Foster is going to load up to stop our run game at all costs. IF we go into that game the same way we went into ATM I fear the results will be similar.
We simply cannot be so stubborn as to keep running into 8 and 9 man fronts.

Enos will need to devise a game plan to get to the outside QUICKLY, utilize mis-direction and run some passing plays from the shotgun if we are to have any chance. We might even run the ball from the gun.

Thoughts??

Hawgphish

I think Enos will have us prepared to score some points.  It is the other side of the ball that worries me.  Go Hogs!  I will be excited to watch this one.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 04, 2016, 04:13:55 pm
I think Enos will have us prepared to score some points.  It is the other side of the ball that worries me.  Go Hogs!  I will be excited to watch this one.

NuttinItUp

Sed76

Hope we can score enough points to offset how many the defense will give up.

Mike_e

We have to play Tackle football.

No goofing around and pushing around just tackling to the ground.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

TNhawgfan

AA will be sore for a month because once their coaches watch how our line misses assignments or whiffs completely on blitzes, they will bring the house 2 out of every 3 downs. Defense will look foolish once again tying to stop a true dual threat qb.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

WarHog38

Virginia Tech does not have the athletes of an Alabama or LSU.  However they have a real good dual QB and a DC who likes to often blitz in exotic schemes. 

Our O-Line must protect AA or he will look like a pinball trying to pass.  This defense must also defend against that dual threat QB running sprints downfield.  Something our defense has not done all season against dual threat QB's. 

The team that showed up against Florida has a chance.  The team that played the rest of the year gets shellacked. Being on the road points to this latter result in my opinion.  I wonder if these coaches have it within themselves to win a game as this??

buldozer

I watched the entire game, and I hate to say it but I don't see any way we can win this bowl game unless their QB does not play. That guy is a beast and ran the ball about as well as RWIII in that game. He ran over some LBs on the goal line a time or two. I think this is a huge mismatch and I don't see why we would get matched with them anyway. They just lost a barn burner for their conference championship to a team that is playing in the CFB playoff and we lost our last game to the worse team in the SEC.... this makes no sense. Their win-loss record is two games better than ours, I just don't get it. I think they will blow us out by 30 or more. Its not a fair match up IMO. Sucks

hawgdavis

I've thought for some while now that they are us a mirrored image of our program atleast the last 10 years.

To beat them we must stop the run and play sound special teams.
It is the kind of team however that we play well against. The are not finesse or spread they come right at you and go up top from time to time.

This one might set up well for us because we are happy to get to a decent bowl and they probably will not be happy there or let down because they probably think they should have been in a bigger bowl. Will be interesting to see.

depressed_fan

kid nap the dallas cowboys and put them in hog uni's

Bubba's Bruisers

VT will be a well coached, well prepared team.  Looks solid all over. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawgphish

Quote from: buldozer on December 04, 2016, 04:38:17 pm
I watched the entire game, and I hate to say it but I don't see any way we can win this bowl game unless their QB does not play. That guy is a beast and ran the ball about as well as RWIII in that game. He ran over some LBs on the goal line a time or two. I think this is a huge mismatch and I don't see why we would get matched with them anyway. They just lost a barn burner for their conference championship to a team that is playing in the CFB playoff and we lost our last game to the worse team in the SEC.... this makes no sense. Their win-loss record is two games better than ours, I just don't get it. I think they will blow us out by 30 or more. Its not a fair match up IMO. Sucks
These same thoughts went through my head.  But as they say, "that is why you play the games".  Can't do anything now but see it as a great opportunity to do something great.  Go Hogs!

gchamblee

there are plenty around here that hope that happens.

Bubba's Bruisers

I've watched them a few times this season, and yes, they look measurably better.  Gotta play the game, though.  We have scholarship players too.   
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lefty08

If we can beat an sec division champ, we can beat an account division champ. Will we, we have to wait until the 29th
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lakecityhog

Vir Tech beat a total of 4 teams with winning records and 1 of those was Liberty University at 6-5. Let's don't act like these guys are world class or anything. They also lost to a 4-8 Syracuse team.

They beat a 2-10 team, a 3-9 team, split with 4-8 teams and went 2-2 against 8-4 teams, so we have every right to go into this game with high expectations. I honestly feel like we played a tougher schedule than them. We have played power teams and finesse teams and fared fairly well against them all.

IF, IF our staff takes this game seriously and prepares the way that we should we can win this game. We have 25 days to heal-up, rest-up and put together a winning game plan. As fans that is exactly what we should expect. This game is the game that BB needs to step up and own. This is his chance to prove that he will not be the same guy that lost 3 straight Rose Bowls.

We are playing a team that is just as good as us and maybe viewed by some as a bit better. If that is the case coaching will be the deciding factor. Lose this game and I for one will see it as just another Rose Bowl, unable to out-coach a team of equal talent.

Uberanubis

i don't think theres any thing we can do. normally i'm up beat about how we play, but i think we get the door beat off us. i just don't see us stopping a running quarterback.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Maybe BB will start his run for a nice fat new contract a few months early and actually coach this thing.  Maybe V. Tech will come in flat and non caring due to the Bowl and the competition and just go through the motions.  The more film they watch of us the more their players and assistants will see this as a mail it in win.  BB should send each V. Tech player his own complete set of films of this past season and a player to watch them on just in case they don't have one.  If both teams show up prepared as usual, this could get ugly for us real quick.

Jonteviosk

Theres no way in hell we are even competitive in this game against a strong opponent who almost knocked off Clemson with BB and RS coaching for us. SEASON IS OVER.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

longpig

Quote from: Jonteviosk on December 04, 2016, 05:57:09 pm
Theres no way in hell we are even competitive in this game against a strong opponent who almost knocked off Clemson with BB and RS coaching for us. SEASON IS OVER.

Is this your first time following sports ball?
Don't be scared, be smart.

IMABIELEMA

PossumFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 04, 2016, 05:29:33 pm
Vir Tech beat a total of 4 teams with winning records and 1 of those was Liberty University at 6-5. Let's don't act like these guys are world class or anything. They also lost to a 4-8 Syracuse team.

They beat a 2-10 team, a 3-9 team, split with 4-8 teams and went 2-2 against 8-4 teams, so we have every right to go into this game with high expectations. I honestly feel like we played a tougher schedule than them. We have played power teams and finesse teams and fared fairly well against them all.

IF, IF our staff takes this game seriously and prepares the way that we should we can win this game. We have 25 days to heal-up, rest-up and put together a winning game plan. As fans that is exactly what we should expect. This game is the game that BB needs to step up and own. This is his chance to prove that he will not be the same guy that lost 3 straight Rose Bowls.

We are playing a team that is just as good as us and maybe viewed by some as a bit better. If that is the case coaching will be the deciding factor. Lose this game and I for one will see it as just another Rose Bowl, unable to out-coach a team of equal talent.

Thank you. A lot of folks here are way too impressed with the Hokies. They'd be middle-of-the-pack in the SEC, just like the Hogs are. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: 12247 on December 04, 2016, 05:31:13 pm
Maybe BB will start his run for a nice fat new contract a few months early and actually coach this thing.  Maybe V. Tech will come in flat and non caring due to the Bowl and the competition and just go through the motions.  The more film they watch of us the more their players and assistants will see this as a mail it in win.  BB should send each V. Tech player his own complete set of films of this past season and a player to watch them on just in case they don't have one.  If both teams show up prepared as usual, this could get ugly for us real quick.

It could happen that Virginia Tech comes out flat and doesn't play well.

Clemson has had a target on their back all season.  Everyone who has played Clemson this season it has been Clemson's opponent's Super Bowl.

The way Virginia Tech played last night, was probably the best Virginia Tech has played all season.

Virginia Tech lost to 4-8 Syracuse this season.  Virginia Tech has shown that they can play down to the level of competition.

hawgsalot

Give me a break this is the team that lost 45-24 to TN, we'll win this game just watch.

Danny J

I am not sure which team shows up...if our offense shows up and executes and our D plays average it might be like the Ole Miss game...if not it will look like aTm. I have no idea what to expect

Jonteviosk

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 05:58:52 pm
Is this your first time following sports ball?

Is this your first time watching this team all year?
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

lakecityhog

When will the coaches quit going out on recruiting visits? That is when we will start serious Bowl Prep, everything til then will be fundamentals and accelerated learning for the younger kids. I fully understand that recruiting is of paramount importance right now, but how much time do we really need to formulate a good game plan and install the game plan?

What is the deadline for the teams to report to the Bowl Site? Will the players get Christmas at home then report, will we meet in Fayetteville and travel as a team or will the kids travel from home in groups? Has the travel thing changed over the years? Seems like in the past each player that made his own travel received mileage money from the school to the site, right?

Anyway, will we have the install done before we leave town and then just do a bit of polish at the site? I am really excited for this game, a chance to beat a well thought of program in a good recruiting area.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 12247 on December 04, 2016, 05:31:13 pm

Maybe you will repeat your same dumb darn till the season ends. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on December 04, 2016, 06:06:32 pm
It could happen that Virginia Tech comes out flat and doesn't play well.

Clemson has had a target on their back all season.  Everyone who has played Clemson this season it has been Clemson's opponent's Super Bowl.

The way Virginia Tech played last night, was probably the best Virginia Tech has played all season.

Virginia Tech lost to 4-8 Syracuse this season.  Virginia Tech has shown that they can play down to the level of competition.

No they haven't.  Typical Clemson has played down to most of their opponents. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Yes, I will.  If things get better, I am big enough to say I was wrong.  You, however, will just find another way to make excuses.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 12247 on December 04, 2016, 07:06:53 pm
Yes, I will.  If things get better, I am big enough to say I was wrong.  You, however, will just find another way to make excuses.

Is this directed to someone?

Anyway to the OP, I don't worry about the offense. 

I watched much of the ACC Championship game and if V. Tech plays as good against us as they did Clemson, we will need all the skills our players could have to stay close.  As I mentioned earlier, V. Tech may come out totally flat feeling they can mail it in against us.  If our players are given the COACHING they deserve, and V. Tech comes out flat, we got a good chance.  I do not hold out great hope of us coming out well coached or V. Tech coming out flat.

sickboy

Quote from: Jonteviosk on December 04, 2016, 05:57:09 pm

You can't really extrapolate seamlessly from a game like that. Virginia Tech vs Clemson is a huge emotional game for those teams. The energy for VT to beat Clemson is going to be completely different than the energy they bring to our game.

I'm not saying we won't have trouble with VT... I'm just saying that you can't look at that game and think the same thing will happen to us that happened to Clemson.

jacobp

Bunch of nancies in here.
watched VT In person at Notre Dame, wasn't overly impressed. The passing game will be there.
Qb good, not great. Lots of quick, short passes.

It will be a good, competitive ball game

Pigsknuckles

Great...a dual threat QB with two receivers who catch anything thrown in their vicinity. Does not match up well for us. Still, Clemson scored 42 on them. Maybe we can too. VT staged quite a comeback aganst Clemson. Eerily familiar. A lot about this game is uncomfortable.

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: lumphog on December 04, 2016, 07:20:11 pm
Buncha PU$$'s......yall CAN'T be Arkansas boys.... I sure do miss the GOOD OLE DAYS when men were men & yall were .........well. It's embarrassing ....... SISSIES!!!!! We'll gut punch these punks
Keep pumping that sunshine. The only thing embarassing here has been the play of our defense.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jkstock04

Well I would put it this way...IF we win this game it would be a huge win for our program. I dont think much of our last two bowl wins. I see this as a legit match up.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Buncha PU$$'s......yall CAN'T be Arkansas boys.... I sure do miss the GOOD OLE DAYS when men were men & yall were .........well. It's embarrassing ....... SISSIES!!!!! We'll gut punch these punks
Games aren't won or lost on the message boards or any other social media.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HardCore

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 04, 2016, 04:41:49 pm
VT will be a well coached, well prepared team.  Looks solid all over. 

Does that really occur out in the real world?
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

lumphog

code red

We have no chance.....it's the truth.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Arkansas Fan

This is the type of opponent we've wanted in a bowl game, let's take advantage of it.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 04, 2016, 07:01:39 pm
Maybe you will repeat your same dumb darn till the season ends.

He will probably stop when you stop defending the cant coach his way out of a wet paper bag fat bastard.

WorfHog

December 04, 2016, 07:58:26 pm #44 Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:41:43 pm by WorfHog
It's on our offense. Tough game to win with our defense.  Hopefully VT will catch a case of the don't cares and not show up. They are catching us on our upswing game so who knows?

Jonteviosk

Not with this HC and DC.

HawgTide

You make some points but Alvarez coached the last Wisky Rose Bowl not CBB

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Jonteviosk on December 04, 2016, 08:01:19 pm
We might start an upset when we fire fatboy and his PET DC.

Plz keep up the posts like this so you get bant u r insufferable

elksnort

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 04, 2016, 07:08:14 pm
Is this directed to someone?

Anyway to the OP, I don't worry about the offense. 
if we can block him we can beat them

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.