Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Branding/Uniforms

Started by geauxhawgs, December 04, 2016, 11:39:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

geauxhawgs

Yesterday, I noticed (and it got me thinking) that nearly every powerhouse team today has a very clean-traditional branding strategy that is very simple and easy to process/follow; much like the majority of NFL teams have who have been successful long term. I'm curious why we continue to have so much clutter and confusion in our branding? Does this have a negative subconscious effect in our on field performance as well as in our national image?

Obviously there has to be several reasons why the overwhelming majority of powerhouse college football programs have for the most part, refused to go away from traditional branding and CLEARLY it has no negative impact on recruiting. I'm curious to hear other's thoughts/opinions about where Jeff Long has taken our branding and the impact you think it has had on our program? 

Woo Pig!

Sed76

Basketball and football team have worn the same uniforms for 3 years now so that's a change from the usual 2 year cycle. My only real complaint is that ugly front facing Hog that was supposed to be a secondary logo. It seems to be phasing out the traditional running Hog logo on most apparel.

HogNdazs

I do not believe it has much of an affect on anything. If those powerhouses decided to where neon uniforms, they would still get 5 star recruits. It is because of their history and their coaches. I do not think having cool different uniforms would get you better recruits, but the kids do get excited about them.

Ohio Sate has funky uniform combinations, doesn't seem to matter. 

I don't mind us adding a secondary logo, or having alternate uniforms. In the end I do not believe it effects wins/losses or perception. People know we are the razorbacks and what our logo looks like.  Like I said, usually the players come out and say they like them or get excited about them so if it is a fun little thing for them then awesome. I would however rather us not go to the extreme like a Maryland.

Sed76

Remember earlier this year or late last year there was a story that said recruits were surveyed about uniforms and Alabama was supposedly voted the worst. Yet, they pull in 5 star after 5 star at every position. I'd say the whole uniform thing is very overrated when it comes to recruiting.

Hawgphish

geauxhawgs

IMO there is a definite effect and it comes from a wide variety of different outlets.

atekido

Winning is the branding powerhouse teams live off of.

longpig

NFL teams don't have much choice in the matter,  either wear the NFL approved uniform or an NFL approved throwback.  I'm with you though, keep it about the same for brand recognition and lose the front facing hog.
Don't be scared, be smart.

rljjr

Branding is only important when you're killing traditions like Slobberin' Hog.

Hollywood870

Been begging for us to go back to the classic uniforms for years now.

longpig

Quote from: rljjr on December 04, 2016, 12:12:23 pm

How bout that wild band of diarrhetic hogs statue. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

gangstaback

Quote from: Sed76 on December 04, 2016, 11:42:05 am
My only real complaint is that ugly front facing Hog that was supposed to be a secondary logo. It seems to be phasing out the traditional running Hog logo on most apparel.

Quote from: rljjr on December 04, 2016, 12:12:23 pm

100% dislike the front facing hog .... that looks like Arkansas State wolves logo ... and ESPIN has been pushing.

Agree with the OP ... look at Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Wisconsin, Oregon (even with the uniform combinations ... apparel is all the same), Texass, Oklahoma, Va Tech, Miami.

No confusion.

Also, as an alumnus ... the Old Main Logo being changed 2 or 3 times and the whole "You of A" ridiculousness is confusing.

For apparel ... I've been wanting to buy a hat for years that just says "University of Arkansas" or something for alumni. Near impossible through the official stores and bookstore. Most of what you see is "HOGS", "HAWGS", Front Facing Logo, Aggressive Razorback Logo, or pink/green/anthracite. Slobbering hog has become prevalent in vintage stuff but nothing really sharp looking.

hobhog

It may have made a difference 10 years ago when Nike starting dressing Oregon. But it's lost its appeal. The 4 teams in playoff stay pretty traditional.

I agree with OP- keep your brand and tradition.

Dumb ole famrboy

It is not about branding - it is about merchandising. How many people need a sweatshirt with the running hog logo. The majority of fans already have one.

Snouty

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on December 05, 2016, 05:29:36 am
It is not about branding - it is about merchandising. How many people need a sweatshirt with the running hog logo. The majority of fans already have one.

Agree 100%!  This is all about making more money for Nike, Under Armor, etc.

LZH

I wish we'd lose the T-rex hog. I understand the so-called need for a symmetrical logo to use in certain situations, but that darn looks silly. Someone totally pulled that out of their ass. Besides, how many non-SEC fans even recognize what they're looking at, as opposed to the running hog that everyone knows. Hell, an elderly lady working the register at Publix asked me Saturday if I was from Arkansas because of my hat. And BTW, she was from Wisconsin and didn't even realize BB was our coach now.

Kevin

Bring back the slobberin hog
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LZH

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on December 05, 2016, 05:51:58 am

No kidding...............the one they have now looks like it needs to be tested for Steroid abuse.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

al_pigcino

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Kevin on December 05, 2016, 05:51:58 am
I like the current hog, but I think a combination of the current running hog and the ol' slobberin' hog could be pretty awesome if done right!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.