Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the development strategy work on defense?

Started by davehog, December 03, 2016, 11:03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

Given the time of possession/ball control / pro offensive scheme and the success of it with Enos at OC, I don't see any changes forthcoming on offense. Nor should there be.  Keep on keepin' on. 

For the most part, the right players are on campus and in development on offense.  2017 recruiting will fix the lack of serviceable offensive tackles and most other pieces are in place.  The pro style offense is good for recruiting and developing. As long as the development pipeline is filled correctly, we can compete at a top level in the SEC on offense. 

I can't think of 1 position that scheme is detrimental to recruiting on offense.  We can make the case for Running Back U and Tight End U.  Offensive lineman are treated like royalty.  Pro style QBs and WRs get ample opportunities in the passing game.

On defense, there is a low risk, bend don't break, wait for the other team to make a mistake scheme. This results in long drives and seems counterproductive to what the offense is trying to accomplish, possess the ball and wear the opposing defense out. 

I contend the current defensive scheme does not match the offense well and doesn't work with the realities of recruiting.

What defensive scheme would be the best fit given all considerations? 

I think a blitz heavy, man coverage scheme would be the best way to get competitive. Hire the right coaches to implement this and identify the right athletes that can be developed. 

gawntrail

Quote from: davehog on December 03, 2016, 11:03:11 pm
Given the time of possession/ball control / pro offensive scheme and the success of it with Enos at OC, I don't see any changes forthcoming on offense. Nor should there be.  Keep on keepin' on. 

For the most part, the right players are on campus and in development on offense.  2017 recruiting will fix the lack of serviceable offensive tackles and most other pieces are in place.  The pro style offense is good for recruiting and developing. As long as the development pipeline is filled correctly, we can compete at a top level in the SEC on offense. 

I can't think of 1 position that scheme is detrimental to recruiting on offense.  We can make the case for Running Back U and Tight End U.  Offensive lineman are treated like royalty.  Pro style QBs and WRs get ample opportunities in the passing game.

On defense, there is a low risk, bend don't break, wait for the other team to make a mistake scheme. This results in long drives and seems counterproductive to what the offense is trying to accomplish, possess the ball and wear the opposing defense out. 

I contend the current defensive scheme does not match the offense well and doesn't work with the realities of recruiting.

I think a blitz heavy, man coverage scheme would be the best way to get competitive. Hire the right coaches to implement this and identify the right athletes that can be developed. 

1) Recruit speed;
2) Analyze who has figured out the read option/dual threat QB and hire off that coaching tree;
3) Recruit controlled aggression; and
4) Coach fundamentals.
5) Rinse and repeat.

Al Boarland

CBB does not bring in DB's talented enough for a press coverage, man scheme.

Bacons Rebellion

How did that man coverage work in the second half against Missouri?

ChicoHog

You teach offense.  You recruit defense.  Simple enough to state, difficult to do at Arkansas.  Got to have corners who can man up and LBs/safeties with speed who can tackle.  DTs who can plug the run and DEs who can pressure the QB . We have one or two players on our team who would get any playing time on Bama, LSU or Auburn defense. We really missed Greenlaw when he went out.

luke hawg

I think everyone agrees we need a more aggressive scheme.

davehog

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 04, 2016, 06:29:53 am

Ryan Pulley disagrees with you. Ended the season as perhaps the best player on defense.

lakecityhog

I think Eugene filled in PLENTY well enough for Greenlaw. The loss of Greenlaw wasn't our problem, if anything it should have raised more questions. If Eugene was that good how many other kids are standing on the sideline that could actually be helping us???

Maybe there was a kid over there (Josh Harris??) that could have given Ellis some rest throughout the season. Maybe Ellis would have been way less worn down and actually been a better player for us at the end of the season??

ChicoHog

Quote from: davehog on December 04, 2016, 05:25:20 pm
Ryan Pulley disagrees with you. Ended the season as perhaps the best player on defense.
Won't argue with that.  he is the only DB we have who can man up and could get PT at a top flight school like Bama.  Need more like him.

ChicoHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 04, 2016, 05:36:57 pm
I think Eugene filled in PLENTY well enough for Greenlaw. The loss of Greenlaw wasn't our problem, if anything it should have raised more questions. If Eugene was that good how many other kids are standing on the sideline that could actually be helping us???

Maybe there was a kid over there (Josh Harris??) that could have given Ellis some rest throughout the season. Maybe Ellis would have been way less worn down and actually been a better player for us at the end of the season??
Can't agree with that.  Eugene did ok but not nearly the player Greenlaw is. 

WarHog38

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 04, 2016, 05:36:57 pm
If Eugene was that good how many other kids are standing on the sideline that could actually be helping us???
I asked the same question several times on the other board I was on.  Mostly in response to remarks praising Bielema & staff on great talent evaluation. 

Remember the severe struggles is solidifying that O-Line this year? Texas reject Jake Raulerson toiling away doing a poor job which Bielema alibied due to injury.  Injured Raulerson pressed on playing in games until Johnny Gibson visited Bielema's office and called him out about being given a chance to start.  Gibson then put Raulerson on the bench and somewhat stabilized our O-Line surely to the relief of AA.

Why wasn't Gibson spotted by our vigilant supposedly always evaluating coaches in practice?  How many more Gibson types that could improve positions are on the sideline or maybe even on the scout team? 

I just saw where Ricky Town is transferring.  Highly recruited and we never saw him play.  May have been the best QB up there?  Who really knows?

longpig

Quote from: WarHog38 on December 04, 2016, 06:21:46 pm
I asked the same question several times on the other board I was on.  Mostly in response to remarks praising Bielema & staff on great talent evaluation. 

Remember the severe struggles is solidifying that O-Line this year? Texas reject Jake Raulerson toiling away doing a poor job which Bielema alibied due to injury.  Injured Raulerson pressed on playing in games until Johnny Gibson visited Bielema's office and called him out about being given a chance to start.  Gibson then put Raulerson on the bench and somewhat stabilized our O-Line surely to the relief of AA.

Why wasn't Gibson spotted by our vigilant supposedly always evaluating coaches in practice?  How many more Gibson types that could improve positions are on the sideline or maybe even on the scout team? 

I just saw where Ricky Town is transferring.  Highly recruited and we never saw him play.  May have been the best QB up there?  Who really knows?

Are you aware of both our coordinators and several position coaches doing regular weekly updates on video, in addition to Coach Bielema's two per week during season? 

Don't be scared, be smart.

WarHog38

Quote from: longpig on December 04, 2016, 06:36:05 pm
Are you aware of both our coordinators and several position coaches doing regular weekly updates on video, in addition to Coach Bielema's two per week during season?
Maybe they need to spend that time reviewing practice filming?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: davehog on December 03, 2016, 11:03:11 pm

gotta play bend but dont break when you are playing field position pro style offense. It sucks, but it is what it is. However, if you give up the big play it just doesn't work.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bubba's Bruisers

Talent.  That needs to be the defensive strategy right now.  Find a way to sign actual SEC talent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 04, 2016, 07:03:06 pm
Why?Just because he doesn't agree with you?

Because it doesn't use facts.

Jake Raulerson was the projected starter at Center for Texas prior to transferring. Johnny Gibson Kurt Anderson (the guy that told Enos and CBB he was ready) said at the beginning of the year Gibson was too inconsistent to play. That changed as the season went along and then Gibson got his chance.

And for Ricky Town it has been reported by every media member in fall camp that he constantly call the wrong plays in the huddle.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/12/10/9887742/jake-raulerson-texas-longhorns-graduate-transfer

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/nov/09/johnny-gibson-embraces-gibby-identity/

Hollywood870

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 04, 2016, 06:29:53 am
We seem to be going for taller DB's that are lacking superior quickness and flat out speed, except for Pulley. He keeps getting better.

Hollywood870

Coley seems to have gotten better. I wish they would just play him up like a rover. Blitz, wreak havoc, support the run, cover te's.

WarHog38

Quote from: King Kong on December 04, 2016, 07:14:55 pm
Because it doesn't use facts.

Jake Raulerson was the projected starter at Center for Texas prior to transferring. Johnny Gibson Kurt Anderson (the guy that told Enos and CBB he was ready) said at the beginning of the year Gibson was too inconsistent to play. That changed as the season went along and then Gibson got his chance.

And for Ricky Town it has been reported by every media member in fall camp that he constantly call the wrong plays in the huddle.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/12/10/9887742/jake-raulerson-texas-longhorns-graduate-transfer

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/nov/09/johnny-gibson-embraces-gibby-identity/
GIbson approached Bielema in his office just as I stated.  He is a walk-on. You spieled total nonsensical inconsequential babble about Enos being involved.  Kurt Anderson should have been the coach closely watching the progress of Gibson.  Then considering the bad O-Line performances.  Anderson should have informed Bielema of the progress by Gibson.  Gibson should not have found it necessary to take the initiative and approach Bielema in his office.

Raulerson never started at Texas in the Big 12.   How does that make him a starter in the SEC?  He obviously does not possess that ability.  AA could have been the one to pay the price for these coaching oversioghts.

King Kong

Quote from: WarHog38 on December 04, 2016, 08:06:49 pm
GIbson approached Bielema in his office just as I stated.  He is a walk-on. You spieled total nonsensical inconsequential babble about Enos being involved.  Kurt Anderson should have been the coach closely watching the progress of Gibson.  Then considering the bad O-Line performances.  Anderson should have informed Bielema of the progress by Gibson.  Gibson should not have found it necessary to take the initiative and approach Bielema in his office.

Raulerson never started at Texas in the Big 12.   How does that make him a starter in the SEC?  He obviously does not possess that ability.  AA could have been the one to pay the price for these coaching oversioghts.

Raulerson started 5 games at Texas. But again you don't bother with facts. Top 200 player out of High School. Michigan, UCLA, Stanford and UNC all also pursued him as a Grad Transfer. And projected starter at Texas an stated in the Texas link I provided.

The rest I can't even make out what you are trying to say. I provided you the article with the quotes of Anderson monitoring Gibson's progress throughout the season.

You have provided nothing to back up your arguments

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Recruit athletes with speed and that's willing to learn along with the right coaching.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....