Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Robb Smith has to go

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 03, 2016, 08:56:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

I posted this in another thread, but though it worth being said again
I have had a conversation with a player that recently graduated, and is still close to the program. He said that the players have no faith in Robb Smith. In fact, while many times players may have different opinions of coaches or things happening on and off the field, with this one it's unanimous. They want him gone. Players seem to have the same opinion that we do. That week after week we play the same predictable base defense and fail to make adjustments. Also, was said we spend little time game planning for the opponent to stop what they are doing because we are going to have the same defense each week. They don't believe they are being put in a position to win. I believe this is why he has to go, and will go.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

PorkRinds

jgphillips3

Whether heresay is to be believed or not, that sounds exactly how our players looked this year on D.  It's as plausible as any explanation for us playing FAR below talent level and getting worse for the second straight year with essentially the same players.

porkrindjimmy

And he isn't going anywhere if Bret has anything to do with it.

PRJ

Buff

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 10:13:56 pm
And he isn't going anywhere if Bret has anything to do with it.

PRJ

I will be surprised if he's gone before next season starts.  Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

jgphillips3

My Christmas wish is that the "no staff changes" BS is just coach speak.  If CBB is really that stupid, and I'm trying desperately not to believe that, next year will be the beginning of the end.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Buff on December 03, 2016, 10:16:26 pm
I will be surprised if he's gone before next season starts.  Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

Best friends are hard to seperate.

PRJ

HoggusMaximus

Its not for the players to decide. If bret wants him gone he will be gone.

Hawghiggs

If CBB sticks with RS. Then I hope it works out next season. If it doesn't. Then I hope they are both fired.

King Kong

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 10:25:21 pm

PRJ

CBB isn't friends with Robb. Even said it in a presser in Smiths first year.

Now he was and is good friends with Ash who goes with CBB, Doeren and Partridge on their summer fishing trip. And Ash didn't make it more than one season

Below is a video with CBB talking the issues with Ash

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ry-zu6WdXcI"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: King Kong on December 03, 2016, 10:35:13 pm

Now he was and is good friends with Ash who goes with CBB, Doeren and Partridge on their summer fishing trip. And Ash didn't make it more than one season

Don't use information in your posts. Speculate only.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: King Kong on December 03, 2016, 10:35:13 pm

Really? What about their wives? You might want to investigate just a bit more.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 03, 2016, 10:38:37 pm
Don't use information in your posts. Speculate only.

Speculation? Hahaha

PRJ

WarHog38

PRJ
What the OP stated fits right in with how this defense performed with 9 returning starters.  It is a base defense with rare blitzes and loose coverage off the line of scrimmage.  Anybody that knows anything about football knows unpredictability both on offense & defense is the best weapon.  Robb Smith is ignoring that football fundamental or is just stupid. 

I actually think these different culture coaches are just binding time here growing bank accounts. Bielema probably feels these $4.2 million bonanza payouts piled atop each other with a little wise investment have him absolutely assured of a grand lifestyle all his days.  Bielema is absolutely correct.   He can live in a castle in the Alps. Robb Smith will surely get him fired sooner than later and good riddance.

PorkRinds

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 10:40:32 pmt

PRJ

Maybe people should stay out of their personal lives. That's beyond creepy.

King Kong

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 10:40:32 pm

PRJ

In that same presser CBB said he was more friends with Smith wife than Robb

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: King Kong on December 03, 2016, 10:42:39 pm
In that same presser CBB said he was more friends with Smith wife than Robb

Thank you.

PRJ

Lake City Hog

Guys, this has been said more than once, this isn't Smith's defense. Go to YouTube and watch highlights of 2014. You will notice that we blitzed a LOT. We hugged the LOS and forced the action by the offense. Now, as highlights go you won't see many of the times that we got burned and we did get burned several times.

I would think that if you searched for Texas A&M highlights or the Mississippi State highlights you would see several of the burn plays.

I think after that season BB went to Smith and forced him into this new philosophy. My guess is that Smith doesn't like it any better than we do. But, my point is pretty simple, if BB forced this defense on Smith how can he in good conscience fire him? He may go back to him at the end of this season and relent, letting Smith run the defense or he may simply stay the course.

Staying the course will simply lead to even greater failures, because even Smith won't have any confidence in what he is doing. Defensive players will eventually just give up and at that point they will both be done at the University of Arkansas. Coaches can overcome a lot of adversity, but I don't know of any that can overcome losing the team.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 10:41:30 pm

Now you look here Mister. I have been in another thread and defending you to some dude named Mook...I have upset him and he has come back with such dreadful things like who do I think I am...and this is the thanks I recieve....

Jeez

PRJ

King Kong

HoggusMaximus

You really expect people to not be creepy on here?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: King Kong on December 03, 2016, 10:47:27 pm
For proving you wrong?

No...for proving exactly who the best friends are and why Bret isn't going to upset the apple cart.

Participation trophies will be at the door.

PRJ

Bebop

We are the ones with our own show.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Bebop on December 03, 2016, 10:54:42 pm
We are the ones with our own show.

Ole miss has their own show, there is nothing wrong with marketing.

26.2Hog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 10:46:20 pm
Now you look here Mister. I have been in another thread and defending you to some dude named Mook...I have upset him and he has come back with such dreadful things like who do I think I am...and this is the thanks I recieve....

Jeez

PRJ

You don't need to defend Porkrinds.  He knows everything.

Hawg Life

PRJ

He's closer to Segrest, and Segrest is a dead man walking.. he's gone.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 03, 2016, 10:59:17 pm
You don't need to defend Porkrinds.  He knows everything.

Yes he does but he is a blatant thief. An identity stealer and a cut and run artist to boot. And there is also a bad side to him also....but cmon...a dude named mook? I couldn't let him get run down by a dude named mook.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 03, 2016, 11:00:52 pm
He's closer to Segrest, and Segrest is a dead man walking.. he's gone.

Bret ain't the one who is close, neither is Robb. But somewhere in that little word problem are best friends.

PRJ

Lake City Hog

Why fire Segrest? He is coaching exactly the way he is told to coach.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 03, 2016, 11:04:06 pm
Why fire Segrest? He is coaching exactly the way he is told to coach.

Somebody has to be offered for sacrifice......

He won't be fired, he will find a job in the NFL most likely.

PRJ

Danny J

PRJ
If Bret refuses to fire a coach based on a friendship to said coaches wife then he should be fired on the spot. I would love to hear him explain it to JL and the PTB.

"You know coach...do you think we should look at maybe trying out a new DC?"

"No way!!!! Jen and I are BFF's with his wife"

I don't think that is the case however if he is not fired then that leads me to believe that Smith is running exclusively what Bret wants on D and that maybe Bret is the one who needs to change. Just my $.02

Danny J

Last year our D gave up a record 25 rushing TD's...this year we broke that record by 11 with damn near the entire 2 deep returning. I can't remember where I read those stats but it was quite alarming.

HoggusMaximus

Oh how I love Conspiracy theorists.

Yes, the man who is getting paid 4 million dollars a year to lose is going to stick up for his buddy before firing him because they are besties. Is that the compiled logic here on HV?

King Kong

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 10:51:49 pm
No...for proving exactly who the best friends are and why Bret isn't going to upset the apple cart.

Participation trophies will be at the door.

PRJ

What by giving you of an example of Chris Ash who is actually BFF's with Bielema but was shown the door?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: King Kong on December 03, 2016, 11:16:39 pm
What by giving you of an example of Chris Ash who is actually BFF's with Bielema but was shown the door?

Again...you don't compute.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 03, 2016, 11:13:31 pm
Oh how I love Conspiracy theorists.

Yes, the man who is getting paid 4 million dollars a year to lose is going to stick up for his buddy before firing him because they are besties. Is that the compiled logic here on HV?

Conspiracies? How is it a conspiracy that somewhere with the Bielema's and the Smith's, there is best friends running around?

How is this one?  No staff changes, before or after the bowl? Is that a conspiracy? Made up words?

PRJ

onebadrubi

PRJ

You just say crap and have no idea. You say it because everything you say is agenda driven and you have no idea.  Coaches wives become friends but every single one knows the relationship nature and at any minute one could be moving across country.

The second a coach does. It make a needed coaching change based on wives friendship is the day he can start his countdown clock.  Bielema has been around this profession long enough he isn't keeping q coach based on his wife and her friends. Just a compete assanine thought that not a single person on this board would have the privilege to really know and it's sad anyone would believe the regurgitation that comes from your post.

Bielema has not established a GOBN (good old boy network) nor is he retaining coaches based on that, quite the opposite actually!  If he isn't having a coach move on its because he doesn't believe he can bring in better or believes that coach and their style is what it takes to win now.  The man has no more excuses with these next two seasons, he will lose a game of course, but if he is not in the top 3 in the west the next two years he will be making a move along with each of his staff. 

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 03, 2016, 11:34:50 pm
You just say crap and have no idea. You say it because everything you say is agenda driven and you have no idea. 

This

buldozer

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 03, 2016, 10:32:05 pm
If CBB sticks with RS. Then I hope it works out next season. If it doesn't. Then I hope they are both fired.
^^^This is all you can hope for^^^

HoggusMaximus

It still baffles me that so many people on here know more than the man being paid millions of dollars. You aren't professional coaches, most of you have probably never even played football. But you know better than a man who has 12 years of college football coaching experience. Maybe Jeff Long should be perusing Hogville for the razorbacks new head coach. 

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 03, 2016, 11:34:50 pm
You just say crap and have no idea. You say it because everything you say is agenda driven and you have no idea.  Coaches wives become friends but every single one knows the relationship nature and at any minute one could be moving across country.

The second a coach does. It make a needed coaching change based on wives friendship is the day he can start his countdown clock.  Bielema has been around this profession long enough he isn't keeping q coach based on his wife and her friends. Just a compete assanine thought that not a single person on this board would have the privilege to really know and it's sad anyone would believe the regurgitation that comes from your post.

Bielema has not established a GOBN (good old boy network) nor is he retaining coaches based on that, quite the opposite actually!  If he isn't having a coach move on its because he doesn't believe he can bring in better or believes that coach and their style is what it takes to win now.  The man has no more excuses with these next two seasons, he will lose a game of course, but if he is not in the top 3 in the west the next two years he will be making a move along with each of his staff. 

Hahahaha. My agenda is to win. Just like all the rest of the people you follow around and shout Agenda, Agenda, their agenda is to win.

If it all possible, the Apple cart will not be tipped.  Let me rephrase this another way for you. There will not be any staff changes, before or after the bowl. May folks get up and leave of their own volition? Maybe, but the apple cart isn't gonna get tipped over by the big guy.

PRJ

onebadrubi

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 03, 2016, 11:42:19 pm
Hahahaha. My agenda is to win. Just like all the rest of the people you follow around and shout Agenda, Agenda, their agenda is to win.

If it all possible, the Apple cart will not be tipped.  Let me rephrase this another way for you. There will not be any staff changes, before or after the bowl. May folks get up and leave of their own volition? Maybe, but the apple cart isn't gonna get tipped over by the big guy.

PRJ

If I were a betting man my bet would be to agree with you although I wish we would make a change or two on staff. But no matter what it doesn't mean you should just make darn up to belittle the coach when you have no real idea except to just spew. 

So many people think we should have won 11 games last year and 10 this year, they are mad we have a loss at all, they then use the excuse of the blowouts to defend their position, but if you went all the way back to Johnelle leaving and the position we were in, those next 4 years weren't going to be easy. Guess what?  That time is over now!  We still have a few weak spots but we have much improved depth all over and we have players with the talent level back to where we were before Johnelle and a bike wreck.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 03, 2016, 11:48:21 pm
If I were a betting man my bet would be to agree with you although I wish we would make a change or two on staff. But no matter what it doesn't mean you should just make darn up to belittle the coach when you have no real idea except to just spew. 

So many people think we should have won 11 games last year and 10 this year, they are mad we have a loss at all, they then use the excuse of the blowouts to defend their position, but if you went all the way back to Johnelle leaving and the position we were in, those next 4 years weren't going to be easy. Guess what?  That time is over now!  We still have a few weak spots but we have much improved depth all over and we have players with the talent level back to where we were before Johnelle and a bike wreck.

I think Segrist goes. Probably to the NFL. But he will do it on his terms. Rhoades may get another offer. But I think those are the two moves that are most likely.

I hope Enos can't be lured away.

PRJ

HogFoo

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 03, 2016, 08:56:09 pm
I have had a conversation with a player that recently graduated, and is still close to the program. He said that the players have no faith in Robb Smith. In fact, while many times players may have different opinions of coaches or things happening on and off the field, with this one it's unanimous. They want him gone. Players seem to have the same opinion that we do. That week after week we play the same predictable base defense and fail to make adjustments. Also, was said we spend little time game planning for the opponent to stop what they are doing because we are going to have the same defense each week. They don't believe they are being put in a position to win. I believe this is why he has to go, and will go.
I had a friend who had spoke with Ken Hamlin before the season, and he had said something very similar.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  He just basically said that he felt we were playing the wrong kind of defense for the talent that we had.  And I agree.  I felt that we had talent to be able to put a lot more pressure on the QB than we did and we just never did it.  We played pretty much the same type of bend but don't break defense.  Let the receiver catch the ball in front of us and then try to make the tackle.  Only problem was if they got behind us, which happened quite frequently, they had a big play.  Our guys also would take horrible angles.  I did like that we finally got our DBs to at least turn our heads  after about 20yrs.  hahaha..    I think that we made our DL too light.  Everyone but B.jack lost a ton of weight.  We got pushed around by nearly everyone too!  I think we had went overboard with trying to make our DL guys quicker by dropping their weights.  Its the SEC, we still gotta have the big uglies up front to plug up the middle!  Put the weight back on!    Anyways.  i too felt that we didn't make adjustments very well.    RSmith defense is all centered around having  a very smart and very good LB.    Everyone remembers the 'triangle'  of Philon, Flowers, Speight.   3 future NFL guys.    We haven't really had that since those guys.   Don't have those type talents and Smith's defense isn't near as good, as we have seen since their departure.  I'm willing to give Smith another chance, but we have to make some changes.  I also would mind getting Partridge back and getting rid of Segrest.  Partridge was our best Florida recruiter and he is now available again.  Plus he was a decent coach and believe like i do that we need hole plugger DL!  I wish we had room for him.  Maybe we will.  Who knows.    Anyways,  id give smith another year,  but change up your system dude!  attack more!   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 03, 2016, 08:56:09 pm
I talked to one of our linebackers after the game and he pretty much said the same. He also said Brooks is getting burned in coverage because they never take him out. He's basically in on every defensive snap.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 04, 2016, 12:39:32 am
I talked to one of our linebackers after the game and he pretty much said the same. He also said Brooks is getting burned in coverage because they never take him out. He's basically in on every defensive snap.

Crazy how so many players openly criticize the coaching staff.

SCHawgfan

I would be pretty disappointed if RS is still DC next year. I think it would be hard for the team to be as successful as everyone would like. We need a Bud Foster clone. He had far less talent than Clemson tonight but by being aggressive and unpredictable he kept his team in the game. That type DC With our offense next year would be fun to see.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HogFoo on December 03, 2016, 11:54:46 pm
I had a friend who had spoke with Ken Hamlin before the season, and he had said something very similar.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  He just basically said that he felt we were playing the wrong kind of defense for the talent that we had.  And I agree.  I felt that we had talent to be able to put a lot more pressure on the QB than we did and we just never did it.  We played pretty much the same type of bend but don't break defense.  Let the receiver catch the ball in front of us and then try to make the tackle.  Only problem was if they got behind us, which happened quite frequently, they had a big play.  Our guys also would take horrible angles.  I did like that we finally got our DBs to at least turn our heads  after about 20yrs.  hahaha..    I think that we made our DL too light.  Everyone but B.jack lost a ton of weight.  We got pushed around by nearly everyone too!  I think we had went overboard with trying to make our DL guys quicker by dropping their weights.  Its the SEC, we still gotta have the big uglies up front to plug up the middle!  Put the weight back on!    Anyways.  i too felt that we didn't make adjustments very well.    RSmith defense is all centered around having  a very smart and very good LB.    Everyone remembers the 'triangle'  of Philon, Flowers, Speight.   3 future NFL guys.    We haven't really had that since those guys.   Don't have those type talents and Smith's defense isn't near as good, as we have seen since their departure.  I'm willing to give Smith another chance, but we have to make some changes.  I also would mind getting Partridge back and getting rid of Segrest.  Partridge was our best Florida recruiter and he is now available again.  Plus he was a decent coach and believe like i do that we need hole plugger DL!  I wish we had room for him.  Maybe we will.  Who knows.    Anyways,  id give smith another year,  but change up your system dude!  attack more!

So much fail here. 

HoggusMaximus

Whether or not we get a new DC next season is up to CBB. If he doesn't change things and the trend of bad defenses continue it wont bode well for him. Thing will always balance themselves out.