Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DC Wishlist?

Started by mook, December 03, 2016, 12:40:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mook

I like Charlie Strong of course. But watching Washington's D and Temple's D makes me wonder if we could ante up for UW's CoDC or TU's DC. Any thoughts? Or other choices?

PorkRinds

As of now we don't have a position open.

mook

I know. But hopefully CBB urges Rob Smith to find other employment. You guys are good at stating the obvious! Such a Dbag reply.

PorkRinds

Quote from: mook on December 03, 2016, 01:14:02 pm
I know. But hopefully CBB urges Rob Smith to find other employment. You guys are good at stating the obvious! Such a Dbag reply.

Dbag thread that's been posted hundreds of times since the last game deserves dbag answer. 

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 01:08:30 pm

I'll bet you that we WILL!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

PorkRinds

jkstock04

Quote from: mook on December 03, 2016, 12:40:30 pm
I like Charlie Strong of course. But watching Washington's D and Temple's D makes me wonder if we could ante up for UW's CoDC or TU's DC. Any thoughts? Or other choices?
Why do you like Charlie Strong?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 01:21:48 pm
I wouldn't be shocked either way.

Nor would I.  However, I don't see how a HC who wants to be successful keeps a DC who has produced one of the worst defenses in school history.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 03, 2016, 01:25:07 pm
Nor would I.  However, I don't see how a HC who wants to be successful keeps a DC who has produced one of the worst defenses in school history.
He knows lots of things that we don't.  He's there every day.  If he thinks the problem isn't at the DC position, he's the one in the position to know.  We aren't.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I wish we'd hurry up and get rid of the one we got...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 01:27:41 pm
He knows lots of things that we don't.  He's there every day.  If he thinks the problem isn't at the DC position, he's the one in the position to know.  We aren't.

I don't disagree.

Sed76

At this point anyone not named Robb Smith or Paul Rhodes would be welcome.

Bubba's Bruisers

Is welcome SEC Talent on defense.  Get that, then see how we do.  Like we had in 2014.  If recruiting doesn't pick up on that side of ball, then it won't matter much who the DC is.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

mook

Porkrinds, I don't remember seeing "DC wish list" anywhere on this board the last week. I like Charlie because of his recruiting and being a HC is different from the DC.

mook

Getting more speed at the LBer spots will help also.

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 01:24:17 pm
At DC, what are you willing to bet?
Is it your belief that Robb Smith will be back next year?

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 03, 2016, 01:56:56 pm
Is welcome SEC Talent on defense.  Get that, then see how we do.  Like we had in 2014.  If recruiting doesn't pick up on that side of ball, then it won't matter much who the DC is.
Yeah...definitely need more talent no question. 

ricepig

Quote from: hogblitz on December 03, 2016, 02:05:29 pm
Is it your belief that Robb Smith will be back next year?

Hmm, I really don't know, I like to gamble and was wondering what the bet and odds would be.

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 02:16:13 pm
Hmm, I really don't know, I like to gamble and was wondering what the bet and odds would be.
I will bet you straight up...pm me...

nichc85

Folks our defense wasn't very good this year. I can promise you that is as much as I know about the situation. Don't have the ability to evaluate the Jimmy's and the Joe's talent wise ( except we look slow) and can't realistically evaluate our defensive scheme and techniques.(we appeared to lack discipline on defense)

I do know enough about coaching to know that when things went south in terms of defensive production you can probably be assured that there were meetings on a weekly basis between RS and BB. The head man didn't let the planning go on without those discussions taking place. He just couldn't let that happen.

Will there be a change in the DC role? Depends on whether the issue was players or scheme and whether there needs to be a new coach to give new hope.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 01:08:30 pm

As of now CBB doesn't really want to spend the next year listening to the ever more strident debate over when the DC job will open.

hogblitz

If Smith returns, CBB will not return in 2018.  I do not care what the buyout is.  You cannot refuse to make a change when having the worst rush defense in school history and 4th worst in NCAA the last 9 seasons.  You cannot have a defense that gets worse every year despite having 9 returning starters this season. No matter what talent you have you do not progressively get worse each season.  If he returns, many will have no hope for next season.  People will no longer start to buy into BB and see that our coach is totally incompetent.  Bielema MUST make a change!

longpig

There will be eleven openings on the defense next season.  Let's see how filling those works out, shall we?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 01:24:17 pm
At DC, what are you willing to bet?

I'll bet we have 2 new defensive coaches by the start of the season next year.

jkstock04

Quote from: mook on December 03, 2016, 02:01:30 pm
I like Charlie because of his recruiting and being a HC is different from the DC.
This does not make much sense as to reasoning why you want him as our d-coordinator.

What i see with Texas is a bunch of 4 & 5 star guys who suck at playing defense. Don't see how that is going to equate to him coming here with 2 & 3 star guys and turning it into a success in the SEC.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mook

Well when he was a DC at Florida he was the hottest thing on the market. He couldnt handle both HC and DC gigs at Texas. Too much on his plate. Does that make sense to you?

GoHogs1091

Here is my wishlist (that are realistic options).

Gary Gibbs  (perhaps he is tired of the NFL grind and perhaps he would like to get closer to home)
Jim Leavitt
Dave Steckel  (perhaps he wants to get out of head coaching and get back into coaching in the SEC)
Mike Archer
Brian George  (Toledo's current DC)

longpig

Anyone wishing for Robb Smith?

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: longpig on December 03, 2016, 04:29:54 pm
Anyone wishing for Robb Smith?

I wish him well......in another job

mook

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on December 03, 2016, 04:08:32 pm
Here is my wishlist (that are realistic options).

Gary Gibbs  (perhaps he is tired of the NFL grind and perhaps he would like to get closer to home)
Jim Leavitt
Dave Steckel  (perhaps he wants to get out of head coaching and get back into coaching in the SEC)
Mike Archer
Brian George  (Toledo's current DC)

Actually a really good list of choices. But Phil Snow and Jimmy Lake could be realistic upgrades for us and pay raises for them.

longpig

Think we could get Willy back?

jkstock04

Quote from: mook on December 03, 2016, 04:02:54 pm
Well when he was a DC at Florida he was the hottest thing on the market. He couldnt handle both HC and DC gigs at Texas. Too much on his plate. Does that make sense to you?
So was Rob Smith in 2014 according to this website at least.

I would rather not take Texas failed leftovers. But good luck with all of that. I heard on the other thread a bartender named Jayco said it was a legit deal. Seems like a pretty credible thing.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mook

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 03, 2016, 05:11:46 pm

I would rather not take Texas failed leftovers. But good luck with all of that. I heard on the other thread a bartender named Jayco said it was a legit deal. Seems like a pretty credible thing.

I love it when people talk trash but cant say or do anything credible. I asked about wishlist. Charlie is from Arkansas so I would root for him regardless of where he was except Texas.

grayhawg

I don't have a preference as of today but let's get someone who can make position coaches  teach kids to tackle to the ground instead of trying to knock them off their feet or arm tackling.

buldozer

Quote from: hogblitz on December 03, 2016, 02:24:29 pm
If Smith returns, CBB will not return in 2018.  I do not care what the buyout is.  You cannot refuse to make a change when having the worst rush defense in school history and 4th worst in NCAA the last 9 seasons.  You cannot have a defense that gets worse every year despite having 9 returning starters this season. No matter what talent you have you do not progressively get worse each season.  If he returns, many will have no hope for next season.  People will no longer start to buy into BB and see that our coach is totally incompetent.  Bielema MUST make a change!
^^^This!^^^

IntegrityHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 01:27:41 pm

Great post.  As fans, we need to support the team.  Let's leave the coaching to the coaches.  You know, the guys getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to make these decisions. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 03, 2016, 05:11:46 pm

The fact that you think Charlie Strong isn't good enough to be DC here speaks volumes!! You may want to look @ his resume.

mook

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 03, 2016, 06:57:34 pm
The fact that you think Charlie Strong isn't good enough to be DC here speaks volumes!! You may want to look @ his resume.
+1

hawgdavis

Porkrinds you don't have to be a D-bag though, guy just wanted to have a discussion about probable DC's. I for one think BB will make a chang there and would like to get CP or CS. I think both would be big upgrades. I want a physical aggressive D that attacks and think we need to model it after what Bama has done. The went a little smaller and quicker on their front 7 so they could deal with the spread. Got to be willing to change things to keep up. Maybe BB will figure this out as well

grayhawg

Do really you think there's a chance Charlie Strong would even come here as DC?  :o

hollywood hog

Robb will be the scapegoat for 2017 and Bielema is gone after 2018. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hollywood hog on December 03, 2016, 07:18:25 pm
Robb will be the scapegoat for 2017 and Bielema is gone after 2018. 

Is that what you hope happens?

tophawg19

Quote from: IntegrityHog on December 03, 2016, 06:56:06 pm
Great post.  As fans, we need to support the team.  Let's leave the coaching to the coaches.  You know, the guys getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to make these decisions. 
the guy making Millions couldn't come up with a plan to beat a bad Mizzou team . and has one of the worst defenses in hog history. It isn't the talent because this same group was able to shut down LSU  , Auburn and ole Miiss last year as well as Florida this year .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

yes with 4 and 5 star talent. he ran the defense for Texas the last half of the season and lost to KANSAS , and got killed by TCU . with top Texas talent . we don't have that option here
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RebelW

HamSammich

I'd like santa. He would be fat like the rest of the staff and be at least jolly when the other team rushed for 500. He might even call them hoes... hoes

Come on hogville you know how much pride you took in the largest offensive line the country!! We coUldnhave the largest coaching staff in the nation

jkstock04

The fact that you want to ignore how awful Texas defense was under his direction also speaks volumes. This is all about what have you done for me lately. Ask Rob Smith here in a few weeks if you don't believe me. Texas Longhorns total defense:

2014 ranked #25 (pretty good)
2015 ranked #106 (terrible)
2016 ranked #96 (terrible)

According to what I read on Hogville, upward trends are what you look for in a good coach. This is not an upward trend. If the guy is still such a defensive guru like everyone claims, these stats wouldn't look so awful. No excuses like we have here at Arkansas. At Texas you have a constant stream of 4 & 5 star players begging to go there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Dom Capers or Dick LeBeau either way.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: mook on December 03, 2016, 01:14:02 pm

I am going to defend Pork rinds here. What in his reply was Dbag? He told you there was no opening. There isn't. There probably isn't going to be. Right, wrong or indifferent. There isn't an opening.

This has been discussed ad nausem for 3, 4 weeks at least. And if there was an opening, it isn't going to be Charlie Strong. It isn't going to be Washington's DC. The move you will probably see is Segrist leaving..and Charlie Partridge taking his spot. At this point, it is Brets ship and he will do what he wants. I don't think that includes replacing Robb Smith.

Yours was the Dbag reply. Lay off the pork rinds.

PRJ