Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year's O-Line. Heaviest and most experienced in the SEC.

Started by Hollywood870, November 23, 2016, 10:42:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood870

November 23, 2016, 10:42:27 am Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:27:39 am by Hollywood870
LT Brian Wallace 6'6 335
LG Hjalte Froholdt 6'4 318
C Frank Ragnow  6'5 319
RG Johnny Gibson 6'4 344
RT Jalen Merrick 6'4 327

Average 6'4 1/2 328.6   :razorback:

I think Merrick takes over at Right Tackle because I saw that they had him in some heavy packages last week as an extra blocker.   Edit: Maybe I just saw Merrick congratulating in the end zone after the fourth down TD because he was coming out for the extra point. I'm hoping he starts at Right Tackle though because he's a huge 4 star and we beat out FSU and others for him. Anyway....

navyhog24

Hollywood870

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 23, 2016, 10:53:33 am
And the most overrated.
They were a young line with 3 first year starters and have improved since Gibson was inserted. I think they continue to get better over the course of another off season and will be the best we've had in quite awhile in 2017.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 23, 2016, 10:56:55 am
They were a young line with 3 first year starters and have improved since Gibson was inserted. I think they continue to get better over the course of another off season and will be the best we've had in quite awhile in 2017.

Agreed. The O-line has shown solid improvement and I expect a solid group next year. Merrick needs to step up cause he has the talent to be special.

Hollywood870

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2016, 11:00:32 am
Agreed. The O-line has shown solid improvement and I expect a solid group next year. Merrick needs to step up cause he has the talent to be special.
Would have three 4 stars, a 3 star, and a walk on starting. What's funny is I think the walk on is the best out of all of them. You don't just come out serving pancakes against Florida in your first ever start.

kp72204

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2016, 11:00:32 am
I EXPECT is the key word. Starting a new LT and are we 100% sure that Ragnow sticks around?

Hollywood870

Quote from: kp72204 on November 23, 2016, 11:10:01 am
I EXPECT is the key word. Starting a new LT and are we 100% sure that Ragnow sticks around?
I think Ragnow stays and yeah, you're right about the move over to left tackle. Hopefully they improve with strength, quickness, and technique in the off season. They took some beatings from some NFL talented D-Lines this year. Those will help too.

311Hog

If Ragnow stays we will have a good Oline i feel safe in saying, maybe even great.  Replacing Skipper i think will be harder than some expect.  The man brought a toughness to the group and a stability, but it is also possible that the Oline is improved by his departure in terms of the increased referee presence his reputation brought (negative).

I hope Ragnow returns with the back field we will be returning it could be special.

ricepig

I think he leaves, but have nothing but my opinion on it. I think he will get a good grade, or good enough to entice him to enter the draft.

redleg

Jackson needs to add some lbs. I do not think Wallace is quick enough to take over at left tackle...maybe he is, but I don't think so.

LT - Colton Jackson 6'6" 310
LG - Hjalte Froholdt 6'4" 325
C - Frank Ragnow 6'5" 320
RG - Johnny Gibson 6'4" 340
RT - Brian Wallace 6'6" 335
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

JayBell

We've seen how little being the "biggest offensive line in all of football" really means.  What will matter is the experience next year's line will have.

If Ragnow projects at tackle for the NFL, he's the LT next year and Raulerson starts at center.  I tried to tell everybody for a year Skipper would take over at LT because experience is so key there.  If it's not Ragnow, it will be Wallace.  They're both guaranteed to start.

Froholdt and Gibson are set at the guard positions.  Froholdt had his fair share of struggles in the first three games, but he's improved the most of anyone on the line.  Raulerson was obviously the standout in the wrong way, but he can be good as a senior at center if Ragnow moves to tackle.

The only potential position battle is going to be at RT.  Rogers may push Raulerson at C some, but the coaches love experience and rightfully so.  Merrick may push for time, but Jackson will have the inside track.

Hollywood870

Quote from: redleg on November 23, 2016, 11:49:55 am
Jackson needs to add some lbs. I do not think Wallace is quick enough to take over at left tackle...maybe he is, but I don't think so.

I can get on board with this.

King Kong

Jackson needs more nasty

jgphillips3

I don't think we need to overlook Rogers at Center.  He would have played against Bama if Ragnow couldn't.  If Ragnow leaves, he may be Center.

lumphog

^^^ THIS ^^^

Razorbackers

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

King Kong

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 23, 2016, 12:42:16 pm
I don't think we need to overlook Rogers at Center.  He would have played against Bama if Ragnow couldn't.  If Ragnow leaves, he may be Center.

Raulerson's natural position is Center. I would expect a battle at Center if Ragnow leaves

BigBen

Hollywood870

longpig

Quote from: JayBell on November 23, 2016, 12:07:02 pm
We've seen how little being the "biggest offensive line in all of football" really means.  What will matter is the experience next year's line will have.

If Ragnow projects at tackle for the NFL, he's the LT next year and Raulerson starts at center.  I tried to tell everybody for a year Skipper would take over at LT because experience is so key there.  If it's not Ragnow, it will be Wallace.  They're both guaranteed to start.

Froholdt and Gibson are set at the guard positions.  Froholdt had his fair share of struggles in the first three games, but he's improved the most of anyone on the line.  Raulerson was obviously the standout in the wrong way, but he can be good as a senior at center if Ragnow moves to tackle.

The only potential position battle is going to be at RT.  Rogers may push Raulerson at C some, but the coaches love experience and rightfully so.  Merrick may push for time, but Jackson will have the inside track.

Barring multiple injuries, it's doubtful Raulerson will start or have significant playing time again.  Appears we only needed him until a couple of more talented players got up to speed this season.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hollywood870

Quote from: CoachVisor on November 23, 2016, 01:05:41 pm
And the slowest too.
Yep. Ragnow, Froholdt, and Wallace are all super slow and un-athletic. Screen passes have been our worst plays this year. Gibson has also looked horribly slow pulling as a 344 pounder.

Hoggish1

razoredge178

CBB has obviously decided that he's going to defy the odds by sticking to his Big 10 ways of stacking a bunch of heavy weights (literally) on the line, and somehow they're going to slow down the not as big, but much faster defenses in the conference.

You would think after watching four years worth of two Allen brothers getting their brains bashed in would teach him a lesson, but it doesn't seem to have set him back a bit.

lutherheggs

And the most overrated.
Boom goes the dynamite. Same story we got on this season's D line and they cannot stop a 50 yr old man from running off tackle for 15 yds.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: razoredge178 on November 23, 2016, 01:43:53 pm
CBB has obviously decided that he's going to defy the odds by sticking to his Big 10 ways of stacking a bunch of heavy weights (literally) on the line, and somehow they're going to slow down the not as big, but much faster defenses in the conference.

You would think after watching four years worth of two Allen brothers getting their brains bashed in would teach him a lesson, but it doesn't seem to have set him back a bit.

BA was one of the least sacked QBs in the NCAA while he was here.
I understand this doesn't fit your agenda but it is a fact.

1highhog

This ^^^.  I don't think that Ragnow has of yet said he was staying, he could easily leave after this season and go Pro.

jneal56

And the most overrated.

Yes sir! I seem to remember hearing all about our "biggest offensive line in football" last year too. We did just as good of a job on 3rd and inches and 4th and inches as we did this season. Give me 290lbs across the board that can move like the Denver Broncos did with T Davis. He got over 2,000 yards with that puny line.
"At least we are moral"

Pork Twain

I completely expect them to all bulk up to about 3fiddy and just stand up and fall forward upon hiking the ball.  The RB will them leap over them for a 3-4 yard average gain.  We will continue to do this up and down the field until further notice.

Arkansas fans would complain about the taxes if they won the mega super jackpot off of a ticket they received as a gift for X-Mas
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Peter Porker

It wouldn't surprise me if Ragnow goes pro. I don't know his family's financial situation, but he may feel the need to take care of mom and siblings.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

oldfart

I think a great deal depends upon whether Ragnow decides to declare for next year.  His presence would be a major stabilizing force.  the recent emergence of Gibson and the improvement of Froholdt has been major especially pulling on screens or sweeps.  One thing that will be missed and is seldom referred to is the downfield blocking of Keon Hatcher.  The man is a beast on that.  Look back at the Miss State replays..  on all the long runs you will see him taking a  defender completely out of the play. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: oldfart on November 23, 2016, 03:07:49 pm
I think a great deal depends upon whether Ragnow decides to declare for next year.  His presence would be a major stabilizing force.  the recent emergence of Gibson and the improvement of Froholdt has been major especially pulling on screens or sweeps.  One thing that will be missed and is seldom referred to is the downfield blocking of Keon Hatcher.  The man is a beast on that.  Look back at the Miss State replays..  on all the long runs you will see him taking a  defender completely out of the play.

Hatcher is one of my favorite Hogs.  When he was a freshman, I concluded, perhaps wrongly, that he had bad hands and a Dominique Reed-like attitude.  But the past couple of years he has shown himself to be a true team player and team leader.  And I can't remember him dropping a ball in forever.  Yes, he will be missed.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

razoredge178

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on November 23, 2016, 02:27:45 pm
BA was one of the least sacked QBs in the NCAA while he was here.
I understand this doesn't fit your agenda but it is a fact.

UMM you don't know me, nor my agendas. And Brandon Allen got knocked around like a Pinata at a Hispanic birthday. So has his brother. Next!

bcdeputy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 23, 2016, 12:42:16 pm

How about Rogers taking over at Center and Ragnow moving out to LT?

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on November 23, 2016, 03:18:34 pm
UMM you don't know me, nor my agendas. And Brandon Allen got knocked around like a Pinata at a Hispanic birthday. So has his brother. Next!

We averaged .67sack/game his sophomore year, and 1.08 his Jr year. I can't remember last year's, but it was similar.

Vantage 8 dude

And the most overrated.
And of course the truth (or not) of that statement will only be seen as the 2017 season unfolds. Obviously not YOU or anyone else knows for sure.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2016, 03:29:13 pm
We averaged .67 sack his sophomore year, and 1.08 his Jr year. I can't remember last year's, but it was similar.

Sack stats can be deceptive.  Brandon was the master at rolling out, stringing the play out as long as possible, then at the last moment heaving the ball into the third row of the bleachers.  He would always pay the price when he did this.  So yes, he did get banged up, but he did it avoiding sacks most of the time.  Like a good coach's kid would.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MJ2

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 23, 2016, 10:42:27 am
LT Brian Wallace 6'6 335
LG Hjalte Froholdt 6'4 318
C Frank Ragnow  6'5 319
RG Johnny Gibson 6'4 344
RT Jalen Merrick 6'4 327

Average 6'4 1/2 328.6   :razorback:

I think Merrick takes over at Right Tackle because I saw that they had him in some heavy packages last week as an extra blocker.   Edit: Maybe I just saw Merrick congratulating in the end zone after the fourth down TD because he was coming out for the extra point. I'm hoping he starts at Right Tackle though because he's a huge 4 star and we beat out FSU and others for him. Anyway....

How many wins does this translate into?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 23, 2016, 12:55:25 pm
Yes, because no unit ever matures and improves.

There was a unit around these parts that had 9 starters back on defense and it didn't mature and improve, at least not on the field during games.

HF#1

As we saw this season with the defense, just because you bring back numbers and experience, doesn't mean you are going to be good.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 23, 2016, 03:31:33 pm
Sack stats can be deceptive.  Brandon was the master at rolling out, stringing the play out as long as possible, then at the last moment heaving the ball into the third row of the bleachers.  He would always pay the price when he did this.  So yes, he did get banged up, but he did it avoiding sacks most of the time.  Like a good coach's kid would.

I don't think he got hit, anywhere near hard as Austin did. His hardest hit was when he was running, So. Miss, Auburn, and OM.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

FineAsSwine

Dwillhog66

Quote from: razoredge178 on November 23, 2016, 03:18:34 pm

Oh I see, the actual stats are wrong.
BA will have had 4 OL blocking for him his senior year that will be collecting an NFL paycheck with 2 already there and Skip and Ragnow on the way. Yeah, that's a terrible oline.

thefisher

And the most overrated.

Do you have a link to next years SEC offensive line ratings or is this just straight out of your butt as usual?

Link to ratings is where????
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

thefisher

Quote from: CoachVisor on November 23, 2016, 01:05:41 pm
And the slowest too.

Do you have a link doing a comparison of next years SEC offensive linemen 40 times or is this just straight out of your butt as usual???

Link is at where?????
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

JayBell

Quote from: longpig on November 23, 2016, 01:08:24 pmBarring multiple injuries, it's doubtful Raulerson will start or have significant playing time again.  Appears we only needed him until a couple of more talented players got up to speed this season.

It hinges on what happens with Ragnow.  If Ragnow goes pro or moves to LT, Raulerson will start at C.  It's his natural position.  He's not athletic enough to do everything they ask of the guards and his confidence sure seems like it has taken a hit this year.

Remember, Raulerson didn't announce his transfer until mid-June.  He didn't get to work as much with the line as everybody else did.  Give him a full preseason of work at C and I don't think he'll be any kind of weak link like he was this season.

Wildhog

I'm worried about the tackles.  Interior should be fine.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 23, 2016, 05:12:28 pm
I'm worried about the tackles.  Interior should be fine.

It wouldn't be football season if you weren't worried about the tackles!

Don't worry, we all are.