Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLDS: Cardinals defeat Dodgers 3-1

Started by popcornhog, October 03, 2014, 05:43:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatline

jrulz83

Quote from: mhuff on October 05, 2014, 05:53:57 pm
Thanks for info.
But I thought you said the Cards would get swept?

If this pitcher has been hurt, seems like he might very well be rusty. I imagine the Cards will shell him. I figure about the fourth inning and they will have to take him out.

I said they would never even make the playoffs; which they clearly are not capable of playing in now that they managed to sneak in. They were a great franchise but the glory days left with Whitey Herzog. Larussa was barely above average, and Matheny is atrocious.

Quote from: clutch on October 05, 2014, 06:00:22 pm
Easy to pick out the ones who weren't around the past few years for the ole reverse karma magic in the redbirds rundown thread.

What's reverse karma? 
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 05, 2014, 06:38:14 pm
I said they would never even make the playoffs; which they clearly are not capable of playing in now that they managed to sneak in. They were a great franchise but the glory days left with Whitey Herzog. Larussa was barely above average, and Matheny is atrocious.

What's reverse karma? 

He was referring to the "olé reverse karma". That's what matadors do to prevent bulls from goring them.

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 05, 2014, 07:49:37 pm
He was referring to the "olé reverse karma". That's what matadors do to prevent bulls from goring them.

Oh yeah they made a movie about that, I think it was called Karmalito's Way.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 05, 2014, 06:38:14 pm

What's reverse karma?

You do realize that we won our division, right?
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on October 05, 2014, 09:13:10 pm
You do realize that we won our division, right?

Only because the Pirates, Brewers, and Reds choked.

dacskc

Quote from: clutch on October 05, 2014, 06:00:22 pm
Easy to pick out the ones who weren't around the past few years for the ole reverse karma magic in the redbirds rundown thread.

I think it was year before last, all of our reverse jinxing POed some guy so much that he carried on a very emotional multi-page argument with about five of us before someone took pity and explained things.

clutch

Quote from: dacskc on October 05, 2014, 09:42:29 pm
I think it was year before last, all of our reverse jinxing POed some guy so much that he carried on a very emotional multi-page argument with about five of us before someone took pity and explained things.

Haha yeah I remember that.

jrulz83

I really would have enjoyed that.

popcornhog

So we're supposed to focus on the negatives as a reverse jinx? Way too confusing.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 05, 2014, 11:00:25 pm
So we're supposed to focus on the negatives as a reverse jinx? Way too confusing.

Hey it won us a World Series before!

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on October 05, 2014, 11:00:25 pm

Respect the streak meat.  :)

ChicoHog

Game is on at 6 pm pacific on Fox sports 1.  giants/Nationals at 2 pm on MLB network.  glad the Dodgers are on at night.  I was going to record it if a day game but sometimes it's hard not to check the score.  Now all the giants fans at work will be rubbing it in if they win but I have to suck it up and listen to it. 

dacskc

St. Louis Cardinals Career statistics vs. Hyun-Jin Ryu
BATTER           AB H AVG
Matt Adams      4  1  .250
Matt Carpenter 7  2  .286
Matt Holliday    6  3  .500
Jon Jay            6  1  .167
Pete Kozma      2  0  .000
Yadier Molina    3  1  .333
Jhonny Peralta  3  1  .333
Totals             34 10 .294

Los Angeles Dodgers Career statistics vs. John Lackey
BATTER                AB H  AVG
Carl Crawford       48 23  .479
Andre Ethier         16 4   .250
Adrian Gonzalez    17 6   .353 
Matt Kemp            13 2  .154
Yasiel Puig            3   0   .000
Hanley Ramirez     3   1   .333 
Juan Uribe           23   6  .261 
Totals                126 42  .333

Looks pretty even.

jrulz83

This game tonight is hard to get a feel for. The Dodgers are throwing a sore shouldered left hander and the Cardinals are throwing a broken down, worn out veteran. Given the matchups on both sides and the Cardinals propensity for major suckage against LHP I'd say advantage Dodgers, but this is why the Cardinals got Lackey so maybe he steps up.

I wouldn't be surprised if either pitcher came out and got shelled early, it also wouldn't surprise me if they came out and had an 1-0 8 inning pitcher's duel. This one is really unpredictable especially when you consider game 1. The Dodgers were 0-3 in Busch Stadium in the NLCS last year, so maybe that trend will continue.

dacskc

I would honestly feel better about Shelby starting this one. Wouldn't surprise me either to see Wacha out of the pen pretty early.

pigture perfect

I cerainly don't want to get Kershaw back in LA. I'd rather them move him up a spot in the rotation for a deciding game 4. That's what they will do. Grienke will go in game 5, unless they win tonight.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on October 06, 2014, 10:17:51 am
I would honestly feel better about Shelby starting this one. Wouldn't surprise me either to see Wacha out of the pen pretty early.

The current Dodgers that have faced him own a .390 overall batting average against Miller. OUCH! From your earlier post Lackey is a touch better at .333. That .390 average against Miller came before he figured out that you can't be a one pitch pitcher as a starter. So, maybe he has a different outcome than in the past against them. To me, either way it's less than ideal for the Cardinals. All this talk about Lackey being a bulldog, he's been there before, this is why they got him, et cetera, doesn't give me any confidence. The media in St. Louis is setting him up for massive failure.

I'm hoping the Cardinals come out and destroy Ryu, like medieval level torture on him, kind of like they did Kershaw in the 7th in game 1. I hope Carpenter has a 14 pitch at bat against him to start the bottom of the 1st. Hopefully they make this thing a laugher  early and everybody can relax on the Cardinals side as we watch the Dodgers melt down.

The Cardinals suck though; there's no way they can stop the Dodgers. Adrian Gonzalez goes 4-4 tonight with 8 rbi.

dhornjr1

I got Gonzalez down as going for the.home run cycle tonight.

He'll be 6-6 with four homers and twelve ribbies.

Dodgers win 18-1. Matt Carpenter has a solo home run.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 06, 2014, 10:51:59 am
The current Dodgers that have faced him own a .390 overall batting average against Miller. OUCH! From your earlier post Lackey is a touch better at .333. That .390 average against Miller came before he figured out that you can't be a one pitch pitcher as a starter. So, maybe he has a different outcome than in the past against them. To me, either way it's less than ideal for the Cardinals. All this talk about Lackey being a bulldog, he's been there before, this is why they got him, et cetera, doesn't give me any confidence. The media in St. Louis is setting him up for massive failure.

I'm hoping the Cardinals come out and destroy Ryu, like medieval level torture on him, kind of like they did Kershaw in the 7th in game 1. I hope Carpenter has a 14 pitch at bat against him to start the bottom of the 1st. Hopefully they make this thing a laugher  early and everybody can relax on the Cardinals side as we watch the Dodgers melt down.

The Cardinals suck though; there's no way they can stop the Dodgers. Adrian Gonzalez goes 4-4 tonight with 8 rbi.
So you are saying that Adrian is finally going to cool off a bit?   ;D

jrulz83

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on October 06, 2014, 12:23:37 pm
So you are saying that Adrian is finally going to cool off a bit?   ;D

He's going to be this hot for the rest of the series:

dacskc

October 06, 2014, 05:22:50 pm #121 Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:39:57 pm by dacskc
Quote from: jrulz83 on October 06, 2014, 10:51:59 am

Shelby has been much better later on this season (September ERA 1.48), seems like Lackey's been the opposite (4.43 in Sept). I'm sure Matheny is gonna have a short leash. He seems much less prone to leaving struggling pitchers out than did Tony. Who knows? I'm guessing the Dodgers have seen Miller more than they have Lackey. Hopefully, it works out because I don't want a return trip to Chavez Ravine either.

But, like you rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter because we suck. Tortoises and squirrels can't save us this year.

Also looks like the Dodgers have already announced Kershaw and Greinke for 4 & 5. No way they get rocked on short rest. Never happen.

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 05, 2014, 11:06:14 pm
Respect the streak meat.  :)
In South Africa, Streak Meat is what they call Bacon. I respect bacon.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on October 06, 2014, 05:22:50 pm
Shelby has been much better later on this season (September ERA 1.48), seems like Lackey's been the opposite (4.43 in Sept). I'm sure Matheny is gonna have a short leash. He seems much less prone to leaving struggling pitchers out than did Tony. Who knows? I'm guessing the Dodgers have seen Miller more than they have Lackey. Hopefully, it works out because I don't want a return trip to Chavez Ravine either.

But, like you rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter because we suck. Tortoises and squirrels can't save us this year.

Also looks like the Dodgers have already announced Kershaw and Greinke for 4 & 5. No way they get rocked on short rest. Never happen.

I agree with everything in this post, except the part about Miller being better. His fastball  is up, his curve is up, he's been leaving everything in the middle of the plate. He might last 2/3 of an inning on Tuesday. If he was pitching tonight, he would throw a no hitter. I wish Matheny wasn't such an idiot. I should be manager; my motivational speech would be second to none, except maybe Ron Washington's Game 7 speech.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 06, 2014, 05:53:42 pm
In South Africa, Streak Meat is what they call Bacon. I respect bacon.

I don't respect bacon, I just devour it. Now the craftsmen who make the magical meat that is bacon, not only do I respect, but I worship them and their craft.

Petit Jean Meats, there is a difference.

dhornjr1

Quote from: dacskc on October 06, 2014, 05:22:50 pm

If I'm Mattingly, I start Greinke tonight and tomorrow night. The Cardinals couldn't hit him on no days rest.

pigture perfect

Lackey gets out of a jam early. Come on Bats with the birds.

jrulz83

Well, Lacks navigated that one, look for him to get rocked next inning. I'm predicting three strikeouts for the bottom of the first.

jrulz83

I just want to say this strike zone, through one inning, sucks.

PonderinHog

A good center fielder would have thrown him out at first.  Am I doin' this right ???

Delicious~Dreams

You are doing fine, Ponderin....GO CARDS!!!  :)

dhornjr1

Lackey has already thrown 147 pitches through two innings.

jrulz83

jrulz83

Lackey was awful that inning!! Get the hook out!

PonderinHog

Why can't they do that with RISP ???  SMDH

ChicoHog

Can one of you Cardinal crazies explain to me how Carpenter only hit .275 with 8 HRs during the regular season?  the guy looks like Ted Williams in the playoffs.  I don't get it.  He has a great swing, hardly ever misses the ball and kills lefties.   

dhornjr1

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 06, 2014, 09:21:18 pm
Can one of you Cardinal crazies explain to me how Carpenter only hit .275 with 8 HRs during the regular season?  the guy looks like Ted Williams in the playoffs.  I don't get it.  He has a great swing, hardly ever misses the ball and kills lefties.   

Some guys just get hot at the right time.

dacskc

His average was way down this year. The postseason so far is more representative of what we expected after last season when he hit .318.

pigture perfect

Carp takes so many pitches in the first at bat of the game and as a result strikes out often. Watch out second time around though. He's seen all the pitches.

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on October 06, 2014, 09:28:15 pm
His average was way down this year. The postseason so far is more representative of what we expected after last season when he hit .318.
Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 06, 2014, 09:22:27 pm
Some guys just get hot at the right time.

But he really, really sucks though. He barely has AA skills.

ChicoHog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 06, 2014, 09:36:01 pm
I will gladly take him on the Dodgers if you want to get rid of him.  I'll give you Gordon and Uribe!   

P.S.  You must also take the hated Brian Wilson.

jrulz83

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 06, 2014, 09:21:18 pm

How did AJ Ellis hit .192?

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 06, 2014, 09:36:01 pm

He's just extremely lucky. Huge wind gusts have caught what would have been 3 routine pop flys so far this series. No way his luck continues. He's like a poor mans David freese.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 06, 2014, 09:44:06 pm
How did AJ Ellis hit .192?

No kidding. Where the heck did his bat come from all of the sudden?

dacskc

Quote from: clutch on October 06, 2014, 09:44:09 pm
He's just extremely lucky. Huge wind gusts have caught what would have been 3 routine pop flys so far this series. No way his luck continues. He's like a poor mans David freese.
He's like a combination of the suckage of Chris Duncan, Kip Wells, Joe Thurston and Mitchell Boggs all rolled into one.

clutch

Quote from: dacskc on October 06, 2014, 09:47:13 pm
He's like a combination of the suckage of Chris Duncan, Kip Wells, Joe Thurston and Mitchell Boggs all rolled into one.

If I was Matheny I'd have Kozma in his spot. Surely the wizard of Koz can play any position and hits like Ted Williams.

jrulz83

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 06, 2014, 09:43:26 pm
I will gladly take him on the Dodgers if you want to get rid of him.  I'll give you Gordon and Uribe!   

P.S.  You must also take the hated Brian Wilson.

Honestly I wouldn't take anything for Carpenter, if I got anything more than a bag of balls for him it would be like stealing.

PonderinHog

Quote from: dacskc on October 06, 2014, 09:47:13 pm
In other words, he has no redeeming qualities.

clutch

Well dang. Guess Puig had to quit striking out eventually.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on October 06, 2014, 09:52:32 pm
Well dang. Guess Puig had to quit striking out eventually.

At least he set the record.  :)