Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CHAVIS HIRED OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE (in body of thread)

Started by Scott Marshall, January 09, 2018, 10:41:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Marshall

Online Version: http://bit.ly/2AHYMQd
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas head football coach Chad Morris added nearly 30 years of SEC experience to his coaching staff when he announced Tuesday the hiring of John Chavis as the program's defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Chavis spent the last 23 years as a defensive coordinator at Tennessee (1995-2008), LSU (2009-14) and Texas A&M (2015-17).

"I'm excited to have Coach Chavis as our defensive coordinator, which was a very important hire for our program," said Morris. "It's so important to play great defense in the SEC and Coach Chavis brings a wealth of experience, knowledge and success in the league to the table."

The 2011 winner of the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in college football, Chavis has been part of 21 bowl games, 12 10-win seasons and appeared in the SEC Championship game six times over his 23 years as a defensive coordinator in the SEC.

"I'm excited for the opportunity to help Coach Morris build the Arkansas program and join the great staff that he is putting together," Chavis said. "It's a great time to be at the University of Arkansas and I can't wait to get started on building a defense that our fans can be excited about."

FIVE COACH CHAVIS NOTES TO KNOW
1. Has a career record of 214-80 (72.8 percent) over his 23 seasons as a defensive coordinator, including a 129-60 mark (68.3 percent) in SEC games.
2. Chavis-led defenses have posted 14 shutouts during his career.
3. He has coached 81 players that have been selected in the NFL Draft over his 37 years as a coach, including 15 first round picks.
4. Chavis-led defenses have held 52 opponents to single-digit points.
5. He has developed 44 players into All-SEC first team selections since 1995.

SUCCESS IN THE SEC
Chavis, who has 29 years of experience in the rugged SEC, has produced a defense that has ranked among the top four in the league in total defense 15 times during his 23 seasons as a coordinator.

During his time at Texas A&M as associate head coach and defensive coordinator, the Aggies were one of five FBS programs (Alabama, Clemson, Penn State & Washington) to rank in the top 25 in sacks each season from 2015-17, highlighted by an SEC-best 43 this past fall. A key contributor to those sack totals was Myles Garrett, who led the SEC in sacks in 2015, and was a unanimous first-team All-American in 2016 en route to being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns.

Prior to his three seasons at Texas A&M, Chavis was a key piece to a successful six-year run at LSU that saw the Tiger defense finish in the top 15 nationally in total defense five times (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014). During Chavis' tenure in Baton Rouge, the Tigers forced 152 turnovers and accounted for 14 touchdowns and two safeties. In 79 total games, Chavis' defenses held the opponent under 100 yards rushing 32 times.

LSU had its best year under Chavis in 2011, as the Tigers capped the year ranked in the top five in the nation in four categories including total defense (No. 2 at 261.5), scoring defense (No. 2 at 11.29), pass efficiency defense (No. 3 with 95.58 rating) and rushing defense (No. 5 at 90.1). LSU also ranked No. 8 nationally in pass defense with 171.43 yards allowed per game.

LSU's 2011 defense featured a young and explosive defensive front along with arguably the nation's top secondary with two national award winners in Tyrann Mathieu and Morris Claiborne. LSU allowed only six first-half touchdowns, including just two in the first quarter all season, as the Tigers rode their dominant defense's style of play to a 13-0 regular season mark, the SEC title and a spot in the BCS National Championship Game.

In both 2010 and 2011, Chavis and the Tigers defense featured the Thorpe Award winner (nation's top defensive back) in Patrick Peterson in 2010 and Claiborne in 2011, as well as the Bednarik Award winner (nation's top defender) in Peterson and Mathieu in 2011. LSU was also home to the SEC Defensive Player of the Year in Peterson (2010), Mathieu (2011 by AP) and Claiborne (2011 by Coaches).

Over Chavis' six years at LSU, the Tigers and Alabama were the only two SEC programs to rank in the league's top four in scoring defense every year from 2009-14. LSU finished in the top 12 nationally in scoring defense five of six years under Chavis, highlighted by No. 2 and No. 4 in 2011 and 2014, respectively. The Tigers led the SEC in passing defense twice (2010, 2014) in his six years while they led the league in total defense his final season in 2014.

Prior to his arrival in Baton Rouge in 2009, Chavis spent 14 seasons as the defensive coordinator at Tennessee, helping the Vols win at least nine games in a season 11 times. The Vols reached the 10-win mark eight times during his time as defensive coordinator, which included a school-record 13 victories during their national championship season in 1998. The Vols had 11 wins in 1995, 1997 and 2001, and they won 10 games in 1996, 2003, 2004 and 2007.

With Chavis as the defensive coordinator, Tennessee made five appearances in the SEC Championship game, winning the league title in 1997 and 1998, and it was invited to three BCS bowl games.

NEXT LEVEL
Behind a recruiting belief that there is no substitute for speed and an aggressive defensive philosophy, Chavis has coached and mentored 70 NFL Draft picks, including 15 first rounders, during his time as a defensive coordinator in the SEC.

Chavis has seen one of his defensive standouts taken in 22 straight NFL Drafts as a defensive coordinator and 26 consecutive years dating back to his time as the defensive line/linebackers coach at Tennessee. Out of the 70 players selected, 42 have been taken in the top three rounds.
Over a run of eight NFL Drafts from 2006-13, Chavis saw eight players taken in the first round with at least one going in seven of them. In 2013, LSU became the first school in NFL Draft history to have six defensive players selected during the first three rounds. LSU finished with eight defenders selected in the 2013 NFL Draft, including the second straight year with a pair of first rounders.

In all, Chavis has coached 81 players taken in the NFL Draft during his time as a defensive coordinator or from his position room as an assistant coach. Over his 29 years in the SEC, he has seen a player taken in 27 of a possible 28 drafts.

BACKGROUND
Chavis, who is originally from Dillon, South Carolina, is married to the former Diane Crisp. They are the parents of sons, John and Jason. He graduated from Tennessee in 1978, as a three-year letterwinner at middle guard for head coach Johnny Majors.

COACHING HISTORY
1979: Tennessee (Graduate Assistant)
1980-1983: Alabama A&M (Defensive Line)
1984-1985: Alabama State (Defensive Coordinator)
1986-1988: Alabama A&M (Defensive Coordinator)
1989-1994: Tennessee (Defensive Line/Linebackers)
1995-2008: Tennessee (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2009-2014: LSU (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2015-2017: Texas A&M (Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2018-present: Arkansas (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)

Snout team

It's now official.  Let's build this thing. 

Looking forward to seeing all the position coaches announced officially as well.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

jst01

So is this the official official release? Or should we wait on the verified official release?

;D

WichitaStateRazorback

311Hog

nice that is a ton of high lvl SEC experience right there.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 10:55:26 am
nice that is a ton of high lvl SEC experience right there.
Lets hope he's still got some gas left in the tank.

311Hog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 10:57:18 am

no doubt that is really my only concern.  I mean looking at Bama's defense last night they are 5 star 3 deep we will not be that so i am hoping that Chavis does some kinda miracle lol.

Flrazrback

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Snout team

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

BassinHawg

January 09, 2018, 11:07:15 am #11 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:35:09 am by BassinHawg
 ::) Just don't see his style matching up good with Morris's.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

bighog2255

Most accomplished coordinator I can ever recall on the Hill. Woo pig

jst01

People scream for the program to commit to winning and being the best. The program is about to spend more on a DC than it ever has, and that DC has more success than anyone ever hired here. And yet people will complain that it's a dumb hire because he hasn't been as successful in the last few years as he was in the previous 20. Give me a break. This hire is a huge positive in many ways.

dbhog

His defenses at A&M were mediocre.  I  think his best days are behind him.  We will need to recruit like heck to get much improvement on defense.

colbs

Quote from: jst01 on January 09, 2018, 11:17:39 am
People scream for the program to commit to winning and being the best. The program is about to spend more on a DC than it ever has, and that DC has more success than anyone ever hired here. And yet people will complain that it's a dumb hire because he hasn't been as successful in the last few years as he was in the previous 20. Give me a break. This hire is a huge positive in many ways.
For the most part it's the same people that complain about everything.  Some just going to complain no matter what.

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Razorfox

People scream for the program to commit to winning and being the best. The program is about to spend more on a DC than it ever has, and that DC has more success than anyone ever hired here. And yet people will complain that it’s a dumb hire because he hasn’t been as successful in the last few years as he was in the previous 20. Give me a break. This hire is a huge positive in many ways.

Amen!

lumphog

Totally agree. Friggin Homerun Hire & if you can't see that, you need to trade all your football cards for hockey cards

titsonboar

Dirty

phadedhawg

Glad the uncertainty is over.  I don't know if this qualifies as a homerun hire and I doubt that's even necessary.  The product we've seen on the field the last few years was so dismal, it's hard to imagine any hire could do worse. 

Hopefully he can help in recruiting.  Until we improve the talent coming into the program we are spinning our wheels. 

311Hog

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 09, 2018, 11:31:21 am
Glad the uncertainty is over.  I don't know if this qualifies as a homerun hire and I doubt that's even necessary.  The product we've seen on the field the last few years was so dismal, it's hard to imagine any hire could do worse. 

Hopefully he can help in recruiting.  Until we improve the talent coming into the program we are spinning our wheels. 

it looks like we quietly hired a new STR and Conditioning coach as well. 

Will be interesting to see these guys. Bulk to speed.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: WichitaStateRazorback on January 09, 2018, 10:55:24 am
I hope trooper is coming

They didn't officially offer but gauged his interest and he decided against it.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

opineonswine

Razorback Football (@RazorbackFB)
1/9/18, 11:15 AM
Career winning % as DC? 72.8%.

All-SEC First Team Selections since 1995? 44.
81 NFL Draft picks.

Shutouts in his career: 14. pic.twitter.com/IWaMpw4t8c

Sow Lancelot

Haters just gotta hate.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

010HogFan

Big Hire! He's worth taking a chance on. It could prove to be huge.

EastexHawg

Quote from: colbs on January 09, 2018, 11:21:52 am
For the most part it’s the same people that complain about everything.  Some just going to complain no matter what.

Have the complaints been unfounded?  We just finished going 13-35 in conference play over six years.  Complaining about people complaining might make more sense if the football program hadn't stunk for over half a decade.

Of course no one knows how the new staff will perform, and that goes for both the optimists and pessimists.  Morris, Chavis & Company will get a chance to show what they can do.  Let's let it play out before we decide who is clueless and who has it all figured out.

PonderinHog

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

onebadrubi

hawginbigd1

Quote from: lumphog on January 09, 2018, 11:26:19 am
Totally agree. Friggin Homerun Hire & if you can't see that, you need to trade all your football cards for hockey cards
Had great success for close to 20 years on teams just stacked with 4 and 5 * players, moves to a team not as stacked and has mediocre at best results the last 3. He will have at best over the next 4 or 5 years equal or below talent than he had at A&M, so yeah I am glad to have him, but I am not going to say it's a homerun until I see homerun results. Do I think we are immediately a better defense, yes I do, but IMO this is a 3-4 roster and he is a primary 4-3 guy, so there could be some lag.

If you don't have any reservations then you lack the ability to think critically, and should I don't know, give up posting.

010HogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 11:58:44 am
If you don't have any reservations then you lack the ability to think critically, and should I don't know, give up posting.

or you could at least, I don't know, wait until the guy coaches a game here to start the Chicken Little act

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 09, 2018, 12:04:12 pm
or you could at least, I don't know, wait until the guy coaches a game here to start the Chicken Little act
Not sure where having a wait and see approach=sky is falling. Must have went to different schools I guess.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

SooieGeneris

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 10:59:08 am
no doubt that is really my only concern.  I mean looking at Bama's defense last night they are 5 star 3 deep we will not be that so i am hoping that Chavis does some kinda miracle lol.

And they still had to come from 13 points behind in the 4th quarter to win.. We have to develop players, they get grown men who are already developed for the most part... Just the way it is, Saban can't or won't coach forever.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: dbhog on January 09, 2018, 11:19:34 am
His defenses at A&M were mediocre.  I  think his best days are behind him.  We will need to recruit like heck to get much improvement on defense.

Remember your post and my response in 20 years...

HAhahHAHahahHAhah HAha HAHahHHAhahaha Ahaha Woooooo!! HAahHAhahHAha!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

010HogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 12:17:19 pm
Not sure where having a wait and see approach=sky is falling. Must have went to different schools I guess.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter one bit what anyone's "approach" is or what anyone thinks at this point with no frame of reference here at ARKANSAS. Not Tennessee, or LSU, or A&M...Arkansas. Let's just try and support the guy.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 09, 2018, 11:49:11 am
So is Venables going to coach the Linebackers?

And Bob Trott the DBs.. Few really thought Venables was coming here, Chavis has been all but official for some time.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hopeful Hog

Paul

or Chad makes him drink a Lotta of Red Bull

SooieGeneris

Had great success for close to 20 years on teams just stacked with 4 and 5 * players, moves to a team not as stacked and has mediocre at best results the last 3. He will have at best over the next 4 or 5 years equal or below talent than he had at A&M, so yeah I am glad to have him, but I am not going to say it's a homerun until I see homerun results. Do I think we are immediately a better defense, yes I do, but IMO this is a 3-4 roster and he is a primary 4-3 guy, so there could be some lag.

It is the hire, whether the keyboard DC experts on here think it should be or not. If Nick Saban stepped down as HC at 'Bama and took the job, some would have "reservations."

We have been in the 3-4 ONE year, most of the roster was recruited for 4-3 anyway, not a big transition.

Having or not having the "ability to think critically" has nothing to do with something called reality. You can criticize or have reservations all you want, it won't change a thing.

I suggest you make reservations at Taco Bell and learn to live with it, 'cause I for one am not going to stop posting.

HoggyCat

Did anyone pay attention to what Bert and Enos did to his defense??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 09, 2018, 12:35:18 pm

Who won those games?

dethnode

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 09, 2018, 12:35:18 pm

His defense kept it close enough for their high powered offense to win them the game, pretty much what we are going to be asking him to do...

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 09, 2018, 11:49:11 am
So is Venables going to coach the Linebackers?
Dang it. I am in a meeting and just literally laughed out loud.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

That team was getting more and more "stacked" each year. People are going to say he was an idiot next year when his replacement takes the talent there and improves, but He still built it. If you go on over to the recruiting forum you will see the BIG emphasis on defensive recruiting vs our previous years. We may see modest improvement next year, but 19 and 20 should both be larger steps in the right direction. By 2021 our defense will shut many peoples mouths...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on January 09, 2018, 12:38:46 pm
Dang it. I am in a meeting and just literally laughed out loud.

That's not nearly as funny as the look your boss gave you while you were looking at your phone typing that reply... Time to update that resume. ;)

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 09, 2018, 12:44:03 pm
That's not nearly as funny as the look your boss gave you while you were looking at your phone typing that reply... Time to update that resume. ;)
Macbook but yeah the look was classic. Anyone hiring?
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

lumphog

And how long have we ran a 3 4 ? Take your own advice there ShortBus