Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CHAVIS HIRED OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE (in body of thread)

Started by Scott Marshall, January 09, 2018, 10:41:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 09, 2018, 12:33:09 pm
It is the hire, whether the keyboard DC experts on here think it should be or not. If Nick Saban stepped down as HC at 'Bama and took the job, some would have "reservations."

We have been in the 3-4 ONE year, most of the roster was recruited for 4-3 anyway, not a big transition.

Having or not having the "ability to think critically" has nothing to do with something called reality. You can criticize or have reservations all you want, it won't change a thing.

I suggest you make reservations at Taco Bell and learn to live with it, 'cause I for one am not going to stop posting.
I was just funnin with your hockey comment,  i am in, just don't like the regular spiel about you can't think anything other than this is the best thing ever posts.

We are short ready to play DL imo for a 4-3, which is why i say its a 3-4 roster. Now i also don't believe we have a decent NT on the roster so there are problems either way.

LawyerHog50

Nah. It's all an elaborate setup to announce venables after the recruiting period is over.

:-X
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Fan1958

Quote from: dbhog on January 09, 2018, 11:19:34 am
His defenses at A&M were mediocre.  I  think his best days are behind him.  We will need to recruit like heck to get much improvement on defense.

Gonna go out on a limb here and assume the "db" in "dbhog" is for d--che bag.  And thanks for stating the obvious, Captain Obvious. What program doesn't have to recruit to get better
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Kneph13

I am going to take a wait and see approach with Coach Chavis just as I am doing with Coach Morris.  It was a good hire "for the UofA".  It's not the home run some think it is.  It would have been a home run if this was back when Coach Chavis had his Tenner and Corndog defenses.  But Arkansas is still mostly looking backward.  Coach Morris is a foot in the door at looking forward, but mostly the UofA seems to be looking backwards for glory instead of forward.  The University wasn't looking for team sports legacies when they opted for the SEC.  They were looking for money.  Well, they got the money at the partial cost of a mid to low tier football team with a mostly losing record.   

Want you to sign your contract,  Want you to sign and see,  Gonna give you lots of money, for losing in the SEC.
There is no Political Correctness in war

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Fan1958 on January 09, 2018, 12:54:10 pm
Gonna go out on a limb here and assume the "db" in "dbhog" is for d--che bag.
Completely uncalled for, but funny as he11

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dirty on January 09, 2018, 11:28:35 am
No, he is not coming!  ;)

Quote from: Dirty on January 09, 2018, 11:28:35 am
No, he is not coming!  ;)

If he was coming why didn't they immediately announce it on June 7 1944?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

razoredge178

Fan1958

Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

hobhog

Quote from: Kneph13 on January 09, 2018, 12:54:58 pm
     I am going to take a wait and see approach with Coach Chavis just as I am doing with Coach Morris.  It was a good hire "for the UofA".  It's not the home run some think it is.  It would have been a home run if this was back when Coach Chavis had his Tenner and Corndog defenses.  But Arkansas is still mostly looking backward.  Coach Morris is a foot in the door at looking forward, but mostly the UofA seems to be looking backwards for glory instead of forward.  The University wasn't looking for team sports legacies when they opted for the SEC.  They were looking for money.  Well, they got the money at the partial cost of a mid to low tier football team with a mostly losing record.   

Want you to sign your contract,  Want you to sign for me,  Gonna give you lots of money, for losing in the SEC.

Your "wait and see" attitude lasted a whole two sentences.

It's a strong hire for a head coach stepping up big time. He needed a name DC with respect throughout country and he got it.

WPS

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Kneph13

Quote from: hobhog on January 09, 2018, 01:01:08 pm
Your "wait and see" attitude lasted a whole two sentences.

It's a strong hire for a head coach stepping up big time. He needed a name DC with respect throughout country and he got it.

WPS

I am not arguing that point.  Coach Chavis was a good hire by Coach Morris and the University.  I stated that.  I simply said that the hire was not a home run and it wasn't.  After that I added a little dose reality.
There is no Political Correctness in war

jdelo77

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 09, 2018, 12:59:18 pm
Let the scoring begin!
That's what your momma said too...

I know that was a little harsh, but c'mon man!? You can't lob softballs in this batting cage... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Freebrd

Chavis has a better win/loss record than Morris did at their last stop.  A lot of the "people" talking about what chavis did at atm are the same ones that are not talking about what morris did over his last 3 years!    :-\

hawg66

Seems like I remember CM saying he prefers the 3-4, and with today's offenses the Hogs will definitely be playing a lot of 3-4.

razoredge178

Quote from: jdelo77 on January 09, 2018, 01:21:02 pm
What about the rest of the defensive staff ?

There is no other staff. Haven't you been reading all the posts on HV about Chavis being a top 3 DC? You don't need assistants when you're slinging that kind of brilliance. It's a one man wrecking ball (that no other program had any interest in).

HoggyCat

I've tried to find a way to go all in with him, and here's all I got. It appears he wasn't able to keep up with  the evolution of football , with his stats differing at aTm.

But here's a twist. Fulmer & Miles were offensive guys. While Sumlin was technically an OC prior to being a HC, he was a LB in his playing days.  I'm hoping the offensive guys let him do his own thing, as Morris has stated he will.                                                                                                   
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 09, 2018, 02:01:13 pm
I've tried to find a way to go all in with him, and here's all I got. It appears he wasn't able to keep up with  the evolution of football , with his stats differing at aTm.

But here's a twist. Fulmer & Miles were offensive guys. While Sumlin was technically an OC prior to being a HC, he was a LB in his playing days.  I'm hoping the offensive guys let him do his own thing, as Morris has stated he will.                                                                                                   

You bring nothing to the table, and really no one cares if you're "all in". Let the man do his job and then bitch about it, which no matter what I'm sure you will.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Freebrd on January 09, 2018, 01:29:24 pm
Chavis has a better win/loss record than Morris did at their last stop.  A lot of the "people" talking about what chavis did at atm are the same ones that are not talking about what morris did over his last 3 years!    :-\

You can't compare what Morris did as an OC to what he did as a HC.

Chavis has been a DC longer than Morris has been in the work force.

Apples and oranges.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 09, 2018, 02:04:05 pm

You bring nothing to the table, and really no one cares if you're "all in". Let the man do his job and then bitch about it, which no matter what I'm sure you will.

I'd bring you that facts, but rainbow warriors like yourself wouldn't listen. History has proven it.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 09, 2018, 02:09:47 pm
I'd bring you that facts, but rainbow warriors like yourself wouldn't listen. History has proven it.

Far from a rainbow 🌈 warrior, but I'm honest. Chavis brings a great reputation and TONS of SEC experience, which will help recruiting. Of course, you not being "all in" probably doesn't think Chavis recruits, and you'd be wrong there too. History has proven nothing, but negative not "all in" types as yourself are miserable,nonsensical, shallow, and pedantic. You would complain no matter who was hired. The fact that you think you can prove something to anyone is laughable. Sumlin was all about offense and made the defense practice at half speed many times, but you probably already knew that.

DeltaBoy

January 09, 2018, 02:39:11 pm #72 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:11:11 pm by DeltaBoy

We will have a Regal Defense Now!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 09, 2018, 12:27:31 pm
Strength and conditioning coach.

We'd have to bring back herb just to hold on to his belt though?

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Jimbob111

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 09, 2018, 11:23:18 am
Did we pay his buyout at A&M?

If he was let go then A&M would pay him any buyout owed, right?
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

redeye

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 11:58:44 am
Had great success for close to 20 years on teams just stacked with 4 and 5 * players, moves to a team not as stacked and has mediocre at best results the last 3. He will have at best over the next 4 or 5 years equal or below talent than he had at A&M, so yeah I am glad to have him, but I am not going to say it's a homerun until I see homerun results.

A&M has recruited much better than we have.  Their talent is more similar to LSU and Tennessee, when Chavis coached there, so talent had nothing to do with it.  Myles Garrett was the first player taken in the draft, right?

As far as recruiting goes, who wouldn't want to play for a DC that puts players in the NFL every year, and has been for over 20 years now?

Tyro3

I think that just getting everyone going in the same direction, coaches, players etc. will be a tremendous improvement.
apparently this was not the case with the previous bunch.

DLUXHOG

John.... welcome, welcome, welcome to the hill....   you will love Fayetteville more than anyplace you've ever been.   We're fortunate to have you and YOU are fortunate to be here....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Jimbob111 on January 09, 2018, 02:48:27 pm
If he was let go then A&M would pay him any buyout owed, right?

I think...  A&M blinked.    Regardless, I personally would have paid for his buyout IF I were the PTB....

opineonswine

FINALLY we have a DC that brings credentials.  Been a very long time.

RedBird5

I'm just interested in your "facts".  Don't hide by saying that people won't listen.  Honestly, I don't even care but you threatened with facts.  Let's see them then

hoghearted

good hire. lots of experience and the right credentials. Let's hope he can 'make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'. Love our players, but they haven't played to their potential.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

SooieGeneris

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 09, 2018, 10:53:08 am
It's now official.  Let's build this thing. 

Looking forward to seeing all the position coaches announced officially as well.

No more off-the-wall names being thrown around for the position! It's official, where are the trolls saying he's not the guy? Saying he's "too old" then throwing out the name of the DC at JMU who is older than Chavis?...
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Whether he was your first choice or fiftieth, all we can do now if we want the program to succeed is support him and the rest of the staff. 

Interesting to see if he coaches from the box or the sideline on game day.  I like my DC's on the sideline, but I think JC has coached from the box most of his career.  Although I know this year at A&M he was on the field.  I wonder if that was his choice or Sumlin's and if he felt it helped or hurt A&M this year.  If he is in the box hope we have a get your piss hot guy on the sideline helping fire them up.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: redeye on January 09, 2018, 02:50:04 pm
A&M has recruited much better than we have.  Their talent is more similar to LSU and Tennessee, when Chavis coached there, so talent had nothing to do with it. Myles Garrett was the first player taken in the draft, right?

As far as recruiting goes, who wouldn't want to play for a DC that puts players in the NFL every year, and has been for over 20 years now?

One of the best things about this hire? A&M was near the top of the SEC in sacks in 2017, without Garrett and the other guy from 2016, Hall I think it was. They did a good job of replacing them..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hawg Life

Quote from: RedBird5 on January 09, 2018, 03:19:34 pm
I'm just interested in your "facts".  Don't hide by saying that people won't listen.  Honestly, I don't even care but you threatened with facts.  Let's see them then

The only facts he could have would be stats from aTm, which Chavis left far better than it was when he took his the job. They played a lot of freshmen last year, and their D wasn't great. I do think more emphasis will be put on D here. Also, Chavis will put together a better staff than any other DC we could've hired. Cooper & Caldwell are huge improvements. Turner or Skipper will also be an improvement. The negativity does get old, as do comments like "all in".. who cares if you're a fan then you're "all in".

CFB_Fanatic

SooieGeneris

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 09, 2018, 12:35:18 pm
Did anyone pay attention to what Bert and Enos did to his defense??

Offense was not the problem for most of the Bert era. Yeah, it could have been better, especially in the red zone and in short yardage, but even this year with almost all new WRs the offense scored points.

In a perfect world, I would prefer Venables to Chavis. He was apparently offered or at least spoken to, turned it down. Same with Grinch, so Chavis is likely the best we could get.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on January 09, 2018, 03:45:07 pm
Monte Kiffin has a better resume. Why didn't Chad hire him?

Because the PTB knew you would be wondering....

BigBrandonAllenFan

It's about time.

Good hire.  Best Arkansas could hope for. 

Tyro3

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on January 09, 2018, 03:45:07 pm
Monte Kiffin has a better resume. Why didn't Chad hire him?

He will be 78 next month, now coaches with his son, don't think he would be interested.

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

southeasthog

Do you people go out of your way to be pricks or does it come naturally?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: southeasthog on January 09, 2018, 04:17:34 pm
Do you people go out of your way to be pricks or does it come naturally?

Seriously?? They absolutely go out of their way....

southeasthog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 09, 2018, 04:20:20 pm
Seriously?? They absolutely go out of their way....

I don't know. It seems too easy for some of them to put much effort into it.

MTBrookHog

My hope is to have an attacking defense instead of a reacting one. I hope Coach Chavis brings this.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RedBird5 on January 09, 2018, 03:19:34 pm

Well that shut him up... Did he ever explain how not agreeing with him makes us LGBT social warriors?
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

GoHogs1091

Quote from: dbhog on January 09, 2018, 11:19:34 am
His defenses at A&M were mediocre.  I  think his best days are behind him.  We will need to recruit like heck to get much improvement on defense.

Chavis really hasn't been the same since the following game.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=323660228

Clemson did that without Sammy Watkins, who got hurt very early in the game and he did not return to the game.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 09, 2018, 05:15:57 pm
Chavis really hasn't been the same since the following game.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=323660228

Clemson did that without Sammy Watkins, who got hurt very early in the game and he did not return to the game.

Maybe he'll be more confident with the play caller on that Clemson team being on his own sideline...