Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Started by hammy davis jr, December 14, 2017, 09:59:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hammy davis jr

I spoke to a former hog QB and he said Arkansas main problem is location. Families from Texas don't want to travel 6-10 hours to see their kid play. When we were in the SWC coaches could promise families they could see their son play half of his games in Texas playing SMU, TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Baylor, Rice and Texas. It's a hard sell now. He loves the Chad Morris hire thinking he can help offset that some with all of his Texas connections.

Hoggish1

Don't think that is a legit concern anymore.  Back then it was that hard to get to Fayetteville from places in SE Arkansas.

Uncommon

Quote from: hammy davis jr on December 14, 2017, 09:59:51 am
I spoke to a former hog QB and he said Arkansas main problem is location. Families from Texas don't want to travel 6-10 hours to see their kid play. When we were in the SWC coaches could promise families they could see their son play half of his games in Texas playing SMU, TCU, Houston, Texas Tech, Baylor, Rice and Texas. It's a hard sell now. He loves the Chad Morris hire thinking he can help offset that some with all of his Texas connections.
The main problem with the University of Arkansas's football program is Little Rock has become a basketball city.

Sed76

And unlike the old days every game is on television so the family can get everyone together to watch it at home.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: hammy davis jr on December 14, 2017, 09:59:51 am

You have to realize that if your talking to a former QB in SWC that ANY concern he has about recruiting is obsolete. It's not even close to the same world as WAY back then.

porque

There are more than 6000 Texas students at the U of A.  In fact, now a third of all freshmen are from Texas.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hammy davis jr

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 14, 2017, 10:13:05 am
You have to realize that if your talking to a former QB in SWC that ANY concern he has about recruiting is obsolete. It's not even close to the same world as WAY back then.
He was an SEC QB

NWA is difficult to get to.  We've noted that fact when talking about fans from other parts of the State not coming that far to see a game.  One thing that shortens the distance for us fans is a WINNING TEAM.  Fans aren't going to spend their off day and anywhere from $250.00 to $1,250.00 and taking their weekend to see what has been being offered and an administration buying into what we've been watching.  Hopefully, this will change some.

I mentioned this earlier in a post.  Why would any parent encourage their Kid to go to Arkansas to play .500 ball when they can do that with several teams closer to home and attend low end bowl either way.

code red

Think about half our kids on campus are Texas Kids so I don't think that has squat to do with squat.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hammy davis jr

Quote from: porque on December 14, 2017, 10:13:57 am
There are more than 6000 Texas students at the U of A.  In fact, now a third of all freshmen are from Texas.
Good point

parallaxpig

This is a recruiting advantage.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Uncommon

Quote from: 12247 on December 14, 2017, 10:19:55 am
Why would any parent encourage their Kid to go to Arkansas to play .500 ball when they can do that with several teams closer to home and attend low end bowl either way.
So the University of Texas then?

go hogues

Meh.

It's 5+ hours from DFW to Lubbock, 8+ hours from Houston to Lubbock, etc etc.

Texas is a big state. The only real issue is that OU and OSU are closer to DFW than UA.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The NewEra

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 14, 2017, 10:04:32 am
Don't think that is a legit concern anymore.  Back then it was that hard to get to Fayetteville from places in SE Arkansas.

Not to mention the drive on the pig trail was an accident looking for a place to happen.

little pigee

If Whaley had gone to UTEP his family would have had a 12 hour drive.  In Texas. 
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

redeye

Location is the biggest problem, hands down.  Most recruits sign with a school within something like 200 miles from home and there's not many P5 recruits in that range of Fayetteville.  Players have choices of schools all around them, so most don't want to go somewhere far away.

Coach Morris will help, all the Texas students will help and so will playing Texas A&M each year, but leaving for the SEC hurt Arkansas in recruiting Texas.

Update: After the Big-12 was formed, schools like Missouri and Oklahoma State suddenly began recruiting Texas better than Arkansas.  That wasn't just some crazy coincidence.

Beached

12 of OSU's 21 current recruits are from TX. 

Stillwater is not much easier than NWA in terms of travel from TX. 

Quote from: go hogues on December 14, 2017, 10:26:48 am
Texas is a big state. The only real issue is that OU and OSU are closer to DFW than UA.

OSU is only marginally closer... and then you're in Stillwater.

DeltaBoy

Just an old stick used by folks too lazy to recruit TEXAS!  Also it was used by all the Texas Colleges in the old SWC. But it no longer the truth.  With the interstate system you can get to NWA way faster than say in 1980.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Shocking, someone points out a recruiting issue, and hog fans say it is bs, not real, does not apply anymore.

A kid in or around Dallas has something like 13 FBS programs closer to them than the UofA.

And you can act like it is "easy" to get to Fay, but for many college recruits families, any trip over a couple hours is a financial burden. So lets take out the blue chip 5 star players, lets take about low 4 star and all 3 star players. IF location is a concern to them, are they more likely to pick a place 5,6,7 hours from home or a place 1,2,3 hours from home? 

Yea, because the state of Arkansas charges them in state tuition. And most of them are here because of the "cheap" cost. And that has nothing to do with college athletes, many of who come from families where they could not afford college AT ALL ANYWHERE without a full ride scholarship.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: code red on December 14, 2017, 10:20:47 am
Think about half our kids on campus are Texas Kids so I don't think that has squat to do with squat.
This argument comes up all the time. Do those kids play football? Do you realize our out of state tuition is extremely cheap (by comparison) and that's the main reason why you see all the Texas kids on campus?

That has zero to do with scholarship football players.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 14, 2017, 10:40:37 am
This argument comes up all the time. Do those kids play football? Do you realize our out of state tuition is extremely cheap (by comparison) and that's the main reason why you see all the Texas kids on campus?

That has zero to do with scholarship football players.

But it does show that the state basically has to bribe people from another state to come to our university.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Beached

People.

The state of Texas has 240+ 3* or better recruits. 
Just go to the bottom of the list and look at some of the locations these guys are committed to play ball -

Purdue
BYU
BC
CU
Oregon State
Memphis
Mizzou
Iowa State
AZ
Etc Etc Etc

I know it's hard for hogsanity some, but let's try and stop talking ourselves into the pit of misery before the new guy has even signed one class. 

SavoySeamster

It's not like we're riding in horse and buggy nowadays. Travel and distance is not even comparable to our SWC days. You have vehicles with heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, massaging seats, satellite radio, etc. Four and five lane interstate for the most part. So, if parents want to see there kid play, it's a much more comfortable trip to the Hill than even ten years ago, much less thirty years ago. What about other schools? Does LSU have trouble recruiting Shreveport because it's four plus hrs away? How about TN? Can't recruit Memphis because it's more than 300 miles away? I say that excuse about recruiting is at a disadvantage because of location is b/s. I say it depends on whose doing the recruiting and their win/loss record.
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."

Piggfoot

December 14, 2017, 10:48:50 am #24 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:58:55 am by Piggfoot
Once again Hogville is in denial of Fayetteville's recruiting problem. Fayetteville may not be as hard to get to  as before but there is no denying the time problem.

https://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/which-airports-have-the-most-unfair-fares/
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: Beached on December 14, 2017, 10:46:00 am
People.

The state of Texas has 240+ 3* or better recruits. 
Just go to the bottom of the list and look at some of the locations these guys are committed to play ball -

Purdue
BYU
BC
CU
Oregon State
Memphis
Mizzou
Iowa State
AZ
Etc Etc Etc

I know it's hard for hogsanity some, but let's try and stop talking ourselves into the pit of misery before the new guy has even signed one class. 

I clearly said IF LOCATION IS A CONCERN TO THE RECRUIT.

Some of you guys just can't come to grips that not everyone thinks the UofA is the be all end all, and might choose not to come here for a variety of reasons.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 14, 2017, 10:48:50 am
Once again Hogville is in denial of Fayetteville's recruiting problem. Fayetteville may not be as hard to get to  as before but there is no denying the time problem.

People choose to either ignore or downplay things that can not be fixed. The location of the UofA can not be fixed, so they just act like it is not an issue. 

Beached

Quote from: hogsanity on December 14, 2017, 10:50:25 am
I clearly said IF LOCATION IS A CONCERN TO THE RECRUIT.

Some of you guys just can't come to grips that not everyone thinks the UofA is the be all end all, and might choose not to come here for a variety of reasons.

No.  I live in the end all be all, and it's not NWA.  But the UofA is a hell of a lot better destination than a lot of places Texas athletes head today. 

You just can't come to grips with any reason to expect something better than Bert. 

Quit projecting your self-esteem issues onto other people's discussions... by all means wallow in your own pit at your leisure.