Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Class Ranking

Started by litmachog, February 07, 2018, 05:50:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

litmachog

So our 2018 class is ranked 54th nationally and last in the conference with 16 recruits.   The thing to note is our average recruit rating is .8618.   

So how does compare to previous years.

2017- 24 recruits - 27 nationally - 10th in the conference.  Average recruit rating - .8602.

2016 - 22 recruits - 23 nationally - 9th in the conference - average rating - .8669

2015 - 25 recruits - 22 nationally - 11th in the conference - .8656 rating

2014 - 27 recruits - 29 nationally - 11th in the conference - .8580 rating

2013 - 36 recruits - 23 nationally - 9th in conference - .8495 rating. 

This just shows our low rating is all about numbers.  Average recruit wise, this is the 3rd highest class of the last 6 years.

For such a short time to recruit, I say good job coach.  The numbers aren't there but the quality sure is. 

Poker_hog

If you want to break down 2018 by average recruit score we're 40th nationally and 11th in the sec.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hogwild

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 06:02:27 pm
If you want to break down 2018 by average recruit score we're 40th nationally and 11th in the sec.

thank you, that's what I wanted to know without having to do the math

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

colbs

One thing you will notice is the last 4-5 yeas Arkansas average recruit ranking has improved but they finishing lower in the SEC.  Arkansas is recruiting better but so are other schools.

HeyHogs

Pretty sad how far we have fallen as a football program.

Hogindasticks

It's pretty sad to see where we have fallen as football fans!  From what I see, this is much worse than the team.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 07, 2018, 06:59:48 pm

How bout you carry your negative crap to a different forum? This one ain't the place for that stuff.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Tarheelhawg

I like how CCM who majored in math dismissed the number of stars question and asked the question is Arkansas better in the last 61 days? The answer is a definitive yes! The current roster will be uncomfortable and forced to competed to compete by this class.  Sounds like a good Coach and solid class to me.

TebowHater

Quote from: litmachog on February 07, 2018, 05:50:06 pm
So our 2018 class is ranked 54th nationally and last in the conference with 16 recruits.   The thing to note is our average recruit rating is .8618.   

2017- 24 recruits - 27 nationally - 10th in the conference.  Average recruit rating - .8602.

2016 - 22 recruits - 23 nationally - 9th in the conference - average rating - .8669

This just shows our low rating is all about numbers.  Average recruit wise, this is the 3rd highest class of the last 6 years.

For such a short time to recruit, I say good job coach.  The numbers aren't there but the quality sure is.

Can you post what the average recruit rating across all rated recruits (not just Ark) was this year? Based on the averages above it would appear the rating number may actually be increasing as time goes on, ie inflation.

For example, .8495 in 2013 was #23 but a number higher than that .8580 in 2014 was #29.

Without normalizing for the overall average player rating it is currently impossible to tell whether this is due solely to numbers. Our average rating could be higher simply because everyone's average rating is higher, such that even if we had had full numbers, an .8618 may in fact have been ranked worse than the .8602 was last year. Not saying this is the case, just wondering.

EastexHawg

Every program is going to sign its "best" recruits first and fill out the class with lower rated guys in the last few spots.  If only 14-16 players had been signed in previous years the coaches would have given the scholarships to the 5, 4, and high 3 star guys first and the low 3s and 2s would have been out of luck...so the average star ratings of those classes would have improved as well.

NuttinItUp

With Georgia locking up the #1 spot after their championship game appearance, they are positioning to become the Alabama of the SEC-East for a long time.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Hogwild on February 07, 2018, 06:19:39 pm
thank you, that's what I wanted to know without having to do the math

Which is closer to where we typically are. Slightly down year which is expected given the coaching change.

HogFoo

I think the coaches did a very good job.  I cant believe that there are actually people complaining about this class.  This is for them.  Learn how recruiting rankings work!  For every recruit we had below 20 we got penalized for it.  We got a 0 score.  which is against us!  If we had just hit our 'average' ranked recruit and filled the class with them, we would have had a top 20 class! (which would have been one the highest classes we had since Nutt had that 17th ranked class back when.     Even then,  at our current ranking, there was only ONE school who had the same amount of recruits as we did that was ahead of us.  It was Stanford, who was ahead of us by about 14spots.  That was IT!  The next closest schools had 19 recruits.  So, yeah, us having such limited schollies hurt the rankings.  Which, who cares!?  Who cares!  We got good recruits, we filled our needs.  Linebacker and our secondary are going to be studs!  Even our DL guys we got.  Especially if we could land Gerald.  Even if not, Fulwider is going to be a stud!  Ferrell is going to be a stud!  Our safeties/DBs are studs. This is best secondary weve had probably since Batman/Richardson back in what 03?  Add them to our secondary from last year,  Brown, curl, calloway.  We will have some lockdown dudes!  which fits exactly what we will be wanting to do.

We'll be able to go man to man, and then collapse our DEs on QBs.  our defense is going to be solid!  Our LBs are SEC size already, it wouldn't surprise me if they could enter the rotation immediately!  We got an excellent RB #1 or 2 in jucos.  Noland, Jones,  2 great QBs.  Got some big ole 6'7 OL guys. As my friend and I spoke and reveled over our class this season, we both agreed that this time next year we could probably have a top 15 class.  I absolutely have no doubt about it either.    Next  year setting up to be an 8-9 win season +  will also help us in our recruiting.  I think Morris would have a great class regardless of record next season, but a good season like that, and Morris being able to draw on his deeeeeeeep texas ties will totally help us.  I figure there will be some attrition and we'll actually have a much larger class than normal.  So, I figure we'll hit the juco's again.  It seems to have helped us in recent times (other than Gooden).  But this was a good 2018 class!  Everyone who says it wasn't needs to take a damn chill pill!  geez!   

Just wait till Morris has a full year to recruit.  It's gonna be lit!   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

hawg1221

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 07, 2018, 08:27:57 pm
With Georgia locking up the #1 spot after their championship game appearance, they are positioning to become the Alabama of the SEC-East for a long time.

After 2007 Saban's first year, Alabama has never finished below 3rd in recruiting. Alabama was 6th last I saw. Also,  Georgia had the most ever top 25 players at 7. Interesting. I'm going by ESPN.

SPAL

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 07, 2018, 07:10:21 pm
How bout you carry your negative crap to a different forum? This one ain't the place for that stuff.

Seconded.....just don't show up in Extra Innings.

redeye

And since our average recruit score is about the same as last year, then last year's class would rank about the same using this method, right?

Quote from: colbs on February 07, 2018, 06:47:22 pm
One thing you will notice is the last 4-5 yeas Arkansas average recruit ranking has improved but they finishing lower in the SEC.  Arkansas is recruiting better but so are other schools.
Quote from: TebowHater on February 07, 2018, 07:28:56 pm
Can you post what the average recruit rating across all rated recruits (not just Ark) was this year? Based on the averages above it would appear the rating number may actually be increasing as time goes on, ie inflation.

I think you're right TebowHater.  The numbers keep going up, so it's hard to say that we're actually recruiting any better, but I do think the SEC is recruiting far better collectively.

There's just so many factors to recruiting that it makes star and team rankings almost worthless, imo.  They do a good enough job at predicting good players and teams, but they still have large gaps, especially outside of the top-10 teams.  It's a game for fans that I think is quite pointless.

edit: I don't even follow recruiting rankings anymore.  Sure I'd be excited if we finished inside the top-10, but only for bragging rights that mean very little.

bennyl08

Quote from: TebowHater on February 07, 2018, 07:28:56 pm

For example, .8495 in 2013 was #23 but a number higher than that .8580 in 2014 was #29.

Without normalizing for the overall average player rating it is currently impossible to tell whether this is due solely to numbers. Our average rating could be higher simply because everyone's average rating is higher, such that even if we had had full numbers, an .8618 may in fact have been ranked worse than the .8602 was last year. Not saying this is the case, just wondering.

That would be a pain to do manually and not sure that it exists without doing so manually. That said, the qualifications for what grad constitutes a 4 or 5 star hasn't changes and the number of 4 and 5's is pretty steady over the years.

I'd guess it has more to to with variability. Namely, if the top teams all sign the top players, then that's going to skew the results vs a more balanced approach.

To make a fake example, if you have 10 students in a class with 10 assignments each worth 10 points (and no student can get the same score...). A perfectly uniform distribution would have each student earn 55 points. A perfectly uneven would have the top student with 100 points and the bottom student with 10 and anywhere inbetween. Add in a bit of variation and third place in that classroom could range anywhere from the low 60's to the high 70's.

So, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of inflation, though it would be interesting to see if that does play a role.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogindasticks

Quote from: HogFoo on February 07, 2018, 09:16:53 pm
I think the coaches did a very good job.  I cant believe that there are actually people complaining about this class.  This is for them.  Learn how recruiting rankings work!  For every recruit we had below 20 we got penalized for it.  We got a 0 score.  which is against us!  If we had just hit our 'average' ranked recruit and filled the class with them, we would have had a top 20 class! (which would have been one the highest classes we had since Nutt had that 17th ranked class back when.     Even then,  at our current ranking, there was only ONE school who had the same amount of recruits as we did that was ahead of us.  It was Stanford, who was ahead of us by about 14spots.  That was IT!  The next closest schools had 19 recruits.  So, yeah, us having such limited schollies hurt the rankings.  Which, who cares!?  Who cares!  We got good recruits, we filled our needs.  Linebacker and our secondary are going to be studs!  Even our DL guys we got.  Especially if we could land Gerald.  Even if not, Fulwider is going to be a stud!  Ferrell is going to be a stud!  Our safeties/DBs are studs. This is best secondary weve had probably since Batman/Richardson back in what 03?  Add them to our secondary from last year,  Brown, curl, calloway.  We will have some lockdown dudes!  which fits exactly what we will be wanting to do.

We'll be able to go man to man, and then collapse our DEs on QBs.  our defense is going to be solid!  Our LBs are SEC size already, it wouldn't surprise me if they could enter the rotation immediately!  We got an excellent RB #1 or 2 in jucos.  Noland, Jones,  2 great QBs.  Got some big ole 6'7 OL guys. As my friend and I spoke and reveled over our class this season, we both agreed that this time next year we could probably have a top 15 class.  I absolutely have no doubt about it either.    Next  year setting up to be an 8-9 win season +  will also help us in our recruiting.  I think Morris would have a great class regardless of record next season, but a good season like that, and Morris being able to draw on his deeeeeeeep texas ties will totally help us.  I figure there will be some attrition and we'll actually have a much larger class than normal.  So, I figure we'll hit the juco's again.  It seems to have helped us in recent times (other than Gooden).  But this was a good 2018 class!  Everyone who says it wasn't needs to take a damn chill pill!  geez!   

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 07, 2018, 09:22:33 pm
After 2007 Saban's first year, Alabama has never finished below 3rd in recruiting. Alabama was 6th last I saw. Also,  Georgia had the most ever top 25 players at 7. Interesting. I'm going by ESPN.

Won't matter who Alabama and Georgia trots out onto the field next season.

Clemson will have 4 NFL 1st Round 2019 draft picks starting on their DL (all of them decided to return).
Clemson probably will be starting 2 five star linebackers (Tre Lamar and Shaq Smith)
Clemson probably will be starting a 6'2" #2 in the nation per ESPN CB (Mullen) and a 6'3" Safety (Simmons).
Clemson may be starting the nation's #1 ranked overall recruit at QB (Trevor Lawrence), who has an arm like Ryan Mallett's, but Lawrence is more athletic and more mobile than Mallett.
Clemson probably will be starting a 6'4" five star WR (Higgins) and a 6'5" WR (Overton).
Clemson will be starting a Senior All-American LT (Hyatt) who decided to return.  Hyatt has 42 starts in his 3 seasons at Clemson as a starting Left Tackle.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 07, 2018, 10:53:37 pm

Clemson will have 4 NFL 1st Round 2019 draft picks starting on their DL (all of them decided to return).
Clemson probably will be starting 2 five star linebackers (Tre Lamar and Shaq Smith)
Clemson probably will be starting a 6'2" #2 in the nation per ESPN CB (Mullen) and a 6'3" Safety (Simmons).
Clemson may be starting the nation's #1 ranked overall recruit at QB (Trevor Lawrence), who has an arm like Ryan Mallett's, but Lawrence is more athletic and more mobile than Mallett.
Clemson probably will be starting a 6'4" five star WR (Higgins) and a 6'5" WR (Overton).
Clemson will be starting a Senior All-American LT (Hyatt) who decided to return.  Hyatt has 42 starts in his 3 seasons at Clemson as a starting Left Tackle.
Yeah yeah your tiggers will roll through your weak Azz conference and be in the hunt the question will be can you step up to play big boy football when it matters?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 07, 2018, 11:17:55 pm
Yeah yeah your tiggers will roll through your weak Azz conference and be in the hunt the question will be can you step up to play big boy football when it matters?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400933843

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400933937

NuttinItUp

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 07, 2018, 10:53:37 pm

Who cares about Clemson? Are they joining the SEC anytime soon?

Also, if you look at the overall team composite, Clemson is still behind Bama and Georgia.

(Note: I say this fully hoping that Morris can turn us into the "next" Clemson.)

Mjs84

Excited about the new coaches!  Looking forward to moving up in conference recruiting rankings. 

rljjr

I'm looking forward to turning the 16 we signed (and PWOs) into guys who win. It may be a rough start, but I firmly believe we can get this thing going again like we did just a few years ago with CBP.

Porknoxville

The problem isn't so much is not doing a great job recruiting, it is how well ALL the other schools are doing. That is what puts it into perspective. Morris is a really nice hire, but like petrino and Nutt, he will have to win with less.
The other schools are either cheating OR Fayetteville and area is just not as desirable as other SEC schools.
I am good with winning on less talent! I have learned to not getting caught up on the recruiting cause it is always hard not to compare with the OM, MssSt, SC, Mizz,  and so on. Those plus KY & Vdy are the only ones we as fans need to concern ourselves with beating on the field and in recruiting. Anything higher than that is a fan in Dreamland.
Jmo

DeltaBoy

Coach Morris said we got what we needed and he seems happy and so am I.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcards

Quote from: farmhawg on February 07, 2018, 07:13:21 pm
He's trolling.

He's frustrated.  You can't blame him for that.

We're not digging out of this anytime soon.

That's not "trolling", that's honesty.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Porknoxville

I am as well. I will not hold he and the new staff to any big expectations, but I would not put it past them to win 6,7 or even 8 games next year.
The defense WILL be better
The OL will be better
The Offense WILL score more points
The Defense WILL give upfewer points than last season.
You can't help but feel that we will see tangible results starting next season.
Go hogs!

redneckfriend

What I get out of this is that by average recruit ranking we are where we usually are. Hopefully it will get better but that will probably depend on the in-state player rankings for the next class.

Freebrd

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 07, 2018, 06:59:48 pm
Agreed, but not by much.  Since 1993, Arkansas has averaged 3.6 wins and 4.4 losses per season in the conference.  Since 2012, Arkansas has averaged 2.2 wins and 5.8 losses per season.

The NewEra

It's worth noting that six of the 16 signees are rated a 4* by at least one of the recruiting sites.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 08, 2018, 12:49:40 am
Who cares about Clemson? Are they joining the SEC anytime soon?

Also, if you look at the overall team composite, Clemson is still behind Bama and Georgia.

(Note: I say this fully hoping that Morris can turn us into the "next" Clemson.)

That guy is the greatest troll on this board and has been for a long, long time.  His consistency is unmatched.

TNarch

Man, I can't wait for fall.  We may have had some talent issues, but out biggest problem has been addressed.  We have a new coach and staff. WPS!!  Good job Coach Morris!!

hawg1221

Quote from: Porknoxville on February 08, 2018, 08:47:48 am
I am as well. I will not hold he and the new staff to any big expectations, but I would not put it past them to win 6,7 or even 8 games next year.
The defense WILL be better
The OL will be better
The Offense WILL score more points
The Defense WILL give upfewer points than last season.
You can't help but feel that we will see tangible results starting next season.
Go hogs!

That's definitely realistic expectations. I know I'm more excited about this football program with the new coaching staff than I've been in a very very very long time. We'll see how this all transpires.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 07, 2018, 07:03:42 pm
It's pretty sad to see where we have fallen as football fans!  From what I see, this is much worse than the team.
This is an interesting comment...how exactly is this so? Have you paid any attention to what has happened the last 6 years in a row? The national perception of our program?

Here is one thing I will say regarding the national ranking at #53/last in SEC, or whatever it is. That is not a "good" look perception wise to the casual observer....which 90 plus % of college football fans/followers are. I'm one that does think our perception matters. My opinion is national perception bleeds over into other aspects and does greatly affect recruiting.

Most people are going to go through that recruiting ranking list and take it at face value. The only people who are going to dissect it into something positive are Hog fans who follow recruiting closely....that's it. If that were another school in the same position the majority on Hogville would rip it to pieces at its face value.

Myself...I look at it like what else do you expect? Jeff Long and then in turn Bielema took this program and all but ruined it. We just won 4 games and were very lucky it wasnt 2 or 3. Perception matters. How many 4/5* kids are going to climb the fence to come to a program like that? This won't be an easy road to hoe for Chad Morris. What else was he going to do at short notice?

We will see what happens this season with the culture of the program (hopefully it turns into one of winning more games) and what kind of recruiting relationships he builds in Texas. If we are 14/14 in recruiting this time next year I'll jump on the hater wagon.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TebowHater

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 07, 2018, 09:57:09 pm
That would be a pain to do manually and not sure that it exists without doing so manually. That said, the qualifications for what grad constitutes a 4 or 5 star hasn't changes and the number of 4 and 5's is pretty steady over the years.

I'd guess it has more to to with variability. Namely, if the top teams all sign the top players, then that's going to skew the results vs a more balanced approach.

To make a fake example, if you have 10 students in a class with 10 assignments each worth 10 points (and no student can get the same score...). A perfectly uniform distribution would have each student earn 55 points. A perfectly uneven would have the top student with 100 points and the bottom student with 10 and anywhere inbetween. Add in a bit of variation and third place in that classroom could range anywhere from the low 60's to the high 70's.

So, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of inflation, though it would be interesting to see if that does play a role.

Totally plausible counter explanation. Maybe 247 will post their average in some sort of reflection at the end of the cycle, would be interesting.

justmakeit2thebcs

Averages don't always tell the story.   I'll take 2 .9900 & 2 .8100 over  4 .9000's everyday.  They both average .9000.

Science Fiction Greg

It's hilarious how people predict doom and gloom or fortune and glory over the difference of a couple hundredths of a point on a bunch of near total guesses about how a player will do with absolutely no consideration for what the team needs, chemistry, or even attitude.  Just bonkers.

Man, can you imagine if we were at .8669 instead of .8656?  What a difference those wild guess points would make to our future.  I'm so jealous of team x who has a wild guess factor of .8684.

Really, this should open your eyes to the fact that rankings are almost meaningless.  You could have a team 20 spots ahead of another team in the rankings and less than a tenth of a point difference in reality.  Sure, there's a difference between .9710 or .8669.  That's why those teams are winning the championships.  But those of you that think there's some huge difference being 9th in the conference at .8665 and being 13th at .8614 are out of your minds.  There are elite teams in recruiting and there is a bunch of mediocre soup where it doesn't matter what your ranking is at all because it's so close.

If you want to seriously put a lot of faith in recruiting numbers, STOP LOOKING AT JUST THE RANKINGS.  It's the numbers that are being ranked that are important (if anything).  There is a huge margin of error in these kinds of things, and these miniscule differences between #20 and #60 in the rankings are well within it.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hawgfan4life

A HUGE factor in class rankings is that the rankings don't factor "heart" and "character" which are huge variables that determine overall success over time.  I can remember a few teams having really high ranked classes at times, but a large number of the highly ranked recruits didn't make it campus or they didn't last once they made it to campus.  BB had that part correct in recruiting high character kids that were likely to stay in the program.  Maybe he took that a tad too far and therefore missed on some good players, but that is a debate that can't be proven.  I like where we are as a roster and what the coaches accomplished in a short window.  We have a roster full of really good kids, more talent than many want to believe, and a solid recruiting class coming in for the Fall.  I would rather have GA's class, but just isn't realistic.  All factors considered relevant to AR, I  am happy to see where we go with what we have and are getting.

LJHOG

So you're saying it's the same mediocre results we've had for 20+ years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 08, 2018, 09:01:30 am
What I get out of this is that by average recruit ranking we are where we usually are. Hopefully it will get better but that will probably depend on the in-state player rankings for the next class.
Ready for one of your "From the bench" posticles...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, well, we'll be 48th tomorrow.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Al Boarland

Quote from: HogFoo on February 07, 2018, 09:16:53 pm

You and I have very different definitions of what a stud is with respect to recruiting.

Al Boarland

Quote from: redeye on February 07, 2018, 09:40:05 pm
And since our average recruit score is about the same as last year, then last year's class would rank about the same using this method, right?

I think you're right TebowHater.  The numbers keep going up, so it's hard to say that we're actually recruiting any better, but I do think the SEC is recruiting far better collectively.

There's just so many factors to recruiting that it makes star and team rankings almost worthless, imo.  They do a good enough job at predicting good players and teams, but they still have large gaps, especially outside of the top-10 teams.  It's a game for fans that I think is quite pointless.

edit: I don't even follow recruiting rankings anymore.  Sure I'd be excited if we finished inside the top-10, but only for bragging rights that mean very little.

Is not rocket science. The team with the most talent usually wins. The teams at the top of the recruiting rankings are the top teams in the country year in and year out.