Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU at Memphis

Started by Nosboar Accubond, December 16, 2017, 06:51:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawginj

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on December 18, 2017, 04:03:19 pm
I agree with this. We passed on an innovator and rising star for someone who is a copy cat of Gus.
don't disagree with you expect CM isnt exactly a copycat. CM has a passing aspect to his version that far surpasses anything Gus has done. Very evident in how CM has had 3k qbs and 1k recievers something booger has yet to have.True the run game is very cookie cutter to Gus but the rest is much better CM doesnt need a running qb to make his offense go.

GuvHog

Quote from: texhog22 on December 18, 2017, 03:23:39 pm
WHAT IS YOUR FREAKING POINT???????? I don't care if he is a clone of "Jar Jar Binks " as long as he wins football games.

I agree with your last statement. Coach Morris is a winner and I just want the Hogs to win.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawginj on December 18, 2017, 04:17:45 pm
don't disagree with you expect CM isnt exactly a copycat. CM has a passing aspect to his version that far surpasses anything Gus has done. Very evident in how CM has had 3k qbs and 1k recievers something booger has yet to have.True the run game is very cookie cutter to Gus but the rest is much better CM doesnt need a running qb to make his offense go.

Go back and watch videos of when Gus was the HC at Springdale High School and Mustain was his starting QB. It's the exact same offense Coach Morris ran at SMU.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 18, 2017, 02:29:18 pm
A couple of reasons.

For one, I don't expect Morris to be here very long.  He'll move on to another program in 4 or 5 years, where I think Norvell would be much less apt to move on.

Also, there are different levels of success and I think both coaches would have success here, I just expect Norvell to have a higher potential than Morris.

Few coaches stay or last longer than 5 years. Any coach we would have hired has a great chance of being gone in less than 5 years.

"Of the 130 current FBS programs, 89 (68%) have, or will have, a head coach in 2018 who has been at their current school fewer than five years. That means, at least 68% of fifth-year seniors next season will not be playing for the coach they chose during the recruiting process. That number will also go up as some of the currently vacant jobs are filled by coaches from other FBS schools."

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-players-coaches-recruiting-2017-12
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hawginj

Quote from: GuvHog on December 18, 2017, 04:21:11 pm
Go back and watch videos of when Gus was the HC at Springdale High School and Mustain was his starting QB. It's the exact same offense Coach Morris ran at SMU.
I've watched some of the Springdale  offense. Im refering to Gus's modern day philosophy as a college coach hes yet to develop a quarterback or have a single 1k reciever at Auburn. Hes extremely run heavy whether it be the backs or qb. CM is nowhere as creative as Norvell in my opinion from what I've seen but he he stays balanced to a little more pass oriented next year Arkansas should be a good bit more successful.

Danimal

Quote from: GuvHog on December 18, 2017, 04:21:11 pm
In other words -- the one Frank said needs to have a dual-threat QB to be successful in the SEC. It seems Gus had bought in to that by the time he got the OC job at Aubbie.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I just sat down and watched this game. I am excited for the offense. Hoping we get a good DC and defense. I would love to have see this offense when Drew Morgan and that bunch of receivers and that Oline was here. I think exciting times are ahead. WPS
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

901king

Quote from: wpswillriseagain on December 16, 2017, 01:49:03 pm
both would have been good choices but Morris showed he can take over a program in rough shape. Norvell hasn't, I would have been happy with either but I think Morris was the smaller risk.

True, Memphis was in better shape than SMU, but it was extremely uncertain at the end of 2015.  Fuente left because the "iron was hot" for him and the belief was that the team would fall off after Lynch turned pro at the end of 2015 season.  Memphis had just come off the two winningest seasons in school history (10-3, 9-4) with no QB on the horizon to replace Lynch as well as the upper classmen nucleus to these teams. In short, Fuente believed Memphis had peaked, a job that fits his persona (VT) was open, and it was time to cash in on his success.  It was not a foregone conclusion by experts and even Tiger fans that success would continue.  We were expecting a 6-6 season in 2016 with the "hope" that this young coach was everything he appeared to be.   Many believed it was Fuente/Lynch that was able to take Memphis to unprecedented heights and that we wouldn't see that kind of success for a decade or possibly ever again.  It just doesn't happen at Memphis.

Two years later, behind a team that is Freshman/sophomore dominant, the Tigers set a school record for regular season wins (10), went undefeated at home for the first time ever, defeated 2 Top 25 teams in the same season for the first time ever, played in the Conference Championship for the first time ever, and finished the season ranked in the Top 25.

I'm happy that Norvell remained at Memphis.  I do believe that Morris, not Norvell, is the bigger risk.  He's actually accomplished everything that Morris was "about to accomplish" at SMU.  All in a year's less time.   

theFlyingHog

Wasn't going to post in this then realized it been dead for five days