Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell is out.

Started by Graybeard, December 05, 2017, 03:20:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny2665

Sorry PitP!! The Chevy Norvell is staying parked in Memphis!!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

trphog

hawgon

AirWarren

Quote from: CaliforniaHawg on December 05, 2017, 03:27:36 pm
It's hard to sustain success at those mid-majors. That's why coaches usually get in and out as quick as they can.

My post was mainly just a joke about his gambling rumors though. My guess is this is more of the bigger programs passing over Norvell, rather than Norvell passing on the bigger progrms.

I disagree. Look what that coach at Boise state did for them during the time he was there.

Hawg Life

Quote from: AP85 on December 05, 2017, 03:22:09 pm
Called it.

Just because his wife is from here and he played at UCA doesn't mean squat.

People don't see this a destination job or dream job.

Getting closer to Paul Rhoads........

Not true, We have obviously hired someone else.

WPS2k18

Not the news im trying to hear...la la la...well All Aboard the Lane Train!

WPS
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

Cave City Joe

Quote from: jry04 on December 05, 2017, 03:21:13 pm
But Pig in the Pokey said he signed a week ago!

His "sources" apparently aren't sources, but that is just the same as everyone else's unfortunately.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Hollywood_HOGan45

Making terrible football decisions for over 30 years.

cosmodrum

Called it.

You're not cute anymore. We get it. Arkansas is a bottom feeder and deserves nothing. You don't have to keep saying it.
Go away, batin'

Hog N Bama

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 05, 2017, 03:25:53 pm
Yes. This place might meltdown otherwise.
The servers supporting this board will MELTDOWN indeed if it is KIFFIN 😎 ;D

HoggieStyle

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 05, 2017, 03:30:30 pm
Making terrible football decisions for over 30 years.

This must be the "tradition" I keep hearing about here on Hogville.

a shady hog

Quote from: Ironhawg on December 05, 2017, 03:25:50 pm
Let him get some more experience as a HC.  Maybe we bring him in somewhere down the line.
No he'll probably end up being another Jimmy Johnson or even Gus for that matter.
If it is Morris, this will be exactly like the BOT hiring Nutt over Frank Broyle's choice Tommy Tubberville.

I hate to say it but Arkansas is always going to Arkansas it up.

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: AP85 on December 05, 2017, 03:28:57 pm
I disagree. Look what that coach at Boise state did for them during the time he was there.

I think you could argue Boise State is a very, very rare and unique case. They've been winning 10-12 games a year since 2001, before Chris Petersen ever got there.

Inhogswetrust

Called it.

Bull crap. You're no Hog fan. Did you ever stop to think that MAYBE he had been eliminated from the running by the new AD our someone was going to get the job anyway.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

runich

This means that we've made our decision for HC ....not sure who it is yet ...only, of course, it's not Norvell.  I think we'll all find out soon.

onebadrubi

Quote from: CaliforniaHawg on December 05, 2017, 03:21:39 pm
He's taking quite the gamble.

He's not gambling.  He's been told we've made our hire.

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: CaliforniaHawg on December 05, 2017, 03:32:20 pm
I think you could argue Boise State is a very, very rare and unique case. They've been winning 10-12 games a year since 2001, before Chris Petersen ever got there.

They sure as heck didn't before when nutty was there!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Arkansasno1

Sexton is probably the agent of the coach we just signed. He probably told Norvell to sign the extension with the raise before word gets out "Norvell does not have other options".
"Be content and resigned to God's will."
~Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

moses_007

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on December 05, 2017, 03:26:47 pm
Stupid move by the UA

Maybe you have the wrong side with the stupid move............................

Panther34

The Boar War

Let him get some more experience as a HC.  Maybe we bring him in somewhere down the line.

Much more likely that we'll be on the receiving end of his experience somewhere down the line

hawgdavis

He wasn't going to be hired with the baggage that came up a couple of days back , I let some long timers on here know about it even PIP it was much worse than the gambling rumor so this tells me it was true and that being said we did not need the bad press that would have surely resulted from the hire especially with the nature of this political environment. I hate it because he was the guy I wanted but once I got the info I didn't want anything to do with him anymore.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on December 05, 2017, 03:28:35 pm
We'll regret it.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way he'll get more HC experience and then when a P5 thinks he is ready they might offer.

The Boar War

I can't believe we let this guy walk.

k.c.hawg

Called it.

Stupid A$$ post. Top 10 facilities in the country, top 20 budget, willing to pay the HC and a fat assistant pool. All it takes is someone willing and capable of taking on the SEC West. I'm thinking it is an idication that we have our guy and he is clear cut better hire.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

We not only let him walk.....all the other schools considering him did as well.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

31to6

Yah. See. That won't happen. In 5 years he will either be someone we definitely do not want or he will be at P5 and successful and out of our reach.

We do this sort of thing over and over throughout our history.

Indeed, the history of Arkansas football is full of "well, if we had known then what we know now about <insert HOF coach here>..."

We have missed the boat on some of the best coaches in college football history by being overly risk-averse.

I am not saying he is the G.O.A.T. But if we end up with a "safe" ho-hum hire that basically ensures we are mediocre for 4-5 years, it will be attitudes like this one that will be the reason why.

HogCzar1

That ain't happening. He won't be considering Arkansas again.

Swestwill66

If it's morris, I would assume everyone turned us down. That's hard to believe so it's kiffin or Venables.

ChicoHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 05, 2017, 03:25:17 pm
We better hope to God it's Kiffin.  If it's not, they have screwed the pooch. 
No kidding!  I will be ticked if we passed on Norvell for Morris or even worse, Leach.  it better be Kiffin!!!!

cjack

Woooo Pig Soooie!

Roadhog82

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 05, 2017, 03:44:30 pm
We not only let him walk.....all the other schools considering him did as well.

That speaks volumes. There had to be a good reason why

redneckfriend

Quote from: 31to6 on December 05, 2017, 03:47:49 pm
Yah. See. That won't happen. In 5 years he will either be someone we definitely do not want or he will be at P5 and successful and out of our reach.

We do this sort of thing over and over throughout our history.

Indeed, the history of Arkansas football is full of "well, if we had known then what we know now about <insert HOF coach here>..."

We have missed the boat on some of the best coaches in college football history by being overly risk-averse.

I am not saying he is the G.O.A.T. But if we end up with a "safe" ho-hum hire that basically ensures we are mediocre for 4-5 years, it will be attitudes like this one that will be the reason why.

I think you're giving him a lot of credit for a guy who can't field a defense. In the SEC west a good offense is what separates you from the pretenders, a good defense is what separates you from the bottom (i.e. presently Arkansas with no defense). This team needs to climb up to the middle with a defense that can stop the average teams in the conference-  then it needs to have an innovative offense to move past them. Norvell hasn't shown the least interest in a defense.

jabberjawls

Called it.

Dude, he signed the extension because we said no.  We are stupid.

isavedjazz

Called it.

Newsflash my man, that means we didn't offer him.
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

TexasRazorback

Quote from: a shady hog on December 05, 2017, 03:32:19 pm

No he'll probably end up being another Jimmy Johnson or even Gus for that matter.
If it is Morris, this will be exactly like the BOT hiring Nutt over Frank Broyle's choice Tommy Tubberville.

I hate to say it but Arkansas is always going to Arkansas it up.

Or you will fall on your face when Norvell doesnt pan our and is nothing more than a glorified OC...TROLL

31to6

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 05, 2017, 04:05:47 pm
I think you're giving him a lot of credit for a guy who can't field a defense. In the SEC west a good offense is what separates you from the pretenders, a good defense is what separates you from the bottom (i.e. presently Arkansas with no defense). This team needs to climb up to the middle with a defense that can stop the average teams in the conference-  then it needs to have an innovative offense to move past them. Norvell hasn't shown the least interest in a defense.
I am not really saying that Norvell is "the guy".

I am saying that our unwillingness to take risk with emerging football coaching talent has bitten us.

I would rather take a risk on unproven talent than spin our wheels for five years on a safe, established hire where you pretty much know their ceiling is 8-9 wins.

ChicoHog

Quote from: 31to6 on December 05, 2017, 04:15:50 pm
I am not really saying that Norvell is "the guy".

I am saying that our unwillingness to take risk with emerging football coaching talent has bitten us.

I would rather take a risk on unproven talent than spin our wheels for five years on a safe, established hire where you pretty much know their ceiling is 8-9 wins.
Agree.   Good post.  That's another reason why i don't want Leach. 

Hog Milanese

Maybe he really has skeletons in the closet

The Boar War

Quote from: Hog Milanese on December 05, 2017, 04:31:59 pm
Maybe he really has skeletons in the closet

Well they damn well better come out.  Otherwise it's not a problem for the program.

AirWarren

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 05, 2017, 03:32:50 pm
Bull crap. You're no Hog fan. Did you ever stop to think that MAYBE he had been eliminated from the running by the new AD our someone was going to get the job anyway.

SO, then why haven't we hired?

Naïve hog fans.

What "qualification" do you have to call me a non hog fan? 

Justagp

Quote from: The Boar War on December 05, 2017, 03:36:59 pm
Much more likely that we'll be on the receiving end of his experience somewhere down the line
Agree

OuttaStateHog

What's the love affair with Kiffin???? He's never stayed anywhere longer than 1-3 years and has never been successful as the HC!

HawgTide

Called it.

Don't be simple. We passed on him. I hope we don't regret it

AirWarren

Quote from: HawgTide on December 05, 2017, 04:45:43 pm

Don't be simple. We passed on him. I hope we don't regret it

Yes, the razorback cry. Miss out on a coach......and all of the sudden......we are too good for him.....

All I have seen is Norvell this.....Arkansas ties this......and all the sudden he signs an extension and he is chop liver?

Typical razorback logic.

HawgTide

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 05, 2017, 03:42:53 pm
Stupid A$$ post. Top 10 facilities in the country, top 20 budget, willing to pay the HC and a fat assistant pool. All it takes is someone willing and capable of taking on the SEC West. I'm thinking it is an idication that we have our guy and he is clear cut better hire.

I agree we have our guy. I just hope we didn't screw the pooch again because I don't see Morris as a clear cut better hire