Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NO TO NORVELL

Started by Hogindasticks, December 03, 2017, 09:20:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:29:47 pm
Little high school coach in memphis aint gonna cut it

You really want to mess with the Norvell crew on here bro? It's grown some(including me) in the past few hours

Hollywood_HOGan45

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 03, 2017, 09:29:37 pm
Do any of the Norvell supporters know anything about football or just love pictures of a college kid with a cornrow hairdo?

I think your right

Granny fan

I'm very concerned about any coach whose team allows 62 points hung on them.  Some high school defenses could do better.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:20:24 pm
Gave up 62  and you still want this dude....incredible.

Who is your best pick?

checkraiser88

BartIV

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 03, 2017, 09:30:41 pm
Do research first off -- Here's the thing about Fuente that people may not realize. Before Paxton came in as his qb, he wanted to change his offense. He then spent 3 days with Arizona State Offensive Coordinator Mike Norvell learning Norvell's offense. Fuente went back to Memphis, changed his offense off what he learned from Norvell and then became the hot name among college coaches.
Smart guy to learn it in 3 days. Seems like a SEC caliber Defensive coordinator Could too.

BartIV

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 03, 2017, 09:32:00 pm
You really want to mess with the Norvell crew on here bro? It's grown some(including me) in the past few hours
Guess beggars can't be choosers

ThisTeetsTaken

List Norvelle's qualifications for someone who never heard of him until a month ago.  Please.  Why does this man deserve a job in the SEC after just two years at Memphis?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hogfooey

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:28:51 pm
Couple problems with Norvell. 2 years coaching experience Memphis. Won with someone else's players. Haven't seen what his recruits can do. Never rebuilt a program (I said same thing about Bret when hired, and I got ridiculed on here), this is the sec, defense (this is the sec), but if this is the best we can do, beggars can't be choosers.
This keeps coming up.  Most of the starting line up is his recruits. 
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Hogindasticks

LumberBacks

NO TO NORVELL!  We need a defensive-minded guru like Bret Bielema!

/s

snf6278

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:28:51 pm
Couple problems with Norvell. 2 years coaching experience Memphis. Won with someone else's players. Haven't seen what his recruits can do. Never rebuilt a program (I said same thing about Bret when hired, and I got ridiculed on here), this is the sec, defense (this is the sec), but if this is the best we can do, beggars can't be choosers.
I am so tired of people who haven't even looked at Memphis say "he won with someone else's players". It's been proven wrong over and over yet you guys still bring it up. I'll take Mike Norvell in a heartbeat. Go cheer for Auburn. Good grief!

Hogindasticks

Who will have recruits calling him to wanna come play at Arkansas when he takes the job.......thats the question.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:36:38 pm
Who will have recruits calling him to wanna come play at Arkansas when he takes the job.......thats the question.

Its  not Norvell

BartIV

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 03, 2017, 09:33:58 pm
List Norvelle's qualifications for someone who never heard of him until a month ago.  Please.  Why does this man deserve a job in the SEC after just two years at Memphis?
Haven't got a good answer to that yet

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

JONAS

BartIV

HogPharmer

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:26:23 pm
This is the reason we will never have a decent team ar Arkansas...too many inbred idiots

At*

HogPharmer

HogPharmer

BartIV

cosmodrum

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:38:43 pm
Who cares nerd

Look at this virgin calling someone a nerd lol
Go away, batin'

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:36:38 pm

That's*

DeltaBoy

Stop ✋ posting this mess! UCF would put that up on us this year and it was a 3 OT game!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JONAS

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 03, 2017, 09:41:24 pm
Stop ✋ posting this mess! UCF would put that up on us this year and it was a 3 OT game!

Maybe in the first half.

cosmodrum

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 03, 2017, 09:41:24 pm

Bless you, Delta.
Go away, batin'

SooieGeneris

Scott Frost's defense just gave up 55 in the same game, both Ds gave up 55 in regulation.

If not for a panicked throw into tight coverage on 2nd and goal by the Memphis QB, Frost's defense likely would have given up 62 or more also.

But if we were reported to be hiring Frost, many of the same people whining about Norvell's defense would be high-fiving and chest beating about him..

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

HogPharmer

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:40:38 pm
Nerd, nerd, nerd, nerd

Nah, I don't normally do that, but if "you're" going to call people a bunch of "inbred idiots", then use proper grammar.

It's very unbecoming.

RaisinHog

I'm cool with norvell guys but these sec quality DC you guys speak of are a little harder too get than y'all are makeing it seem I mean hell I don't remember the last DC we had that was worth a darn except the first year of Rob Smith

stronguard

Norvell would be a disappointment. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

hogfooey

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 03, 2017, 09:42:03 pm
Scott Frost's defense just gave up 55 in the same game, both Ds gave up 55 in regulation.

If not for a panicked throw into tight coverage on 2nd and goal by the Memphis QB, Frost's defense likely would have given up 62 or more also.

But if we were reported to be hiring Frost, many of the same people whining about Norvell's defense would be high-fiving and chest beating about him..
Actually both D's gave up 48 in regulation
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

BartIV

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 03, 2017, 09:40:43 pm
Look at this virgin calling someone a nerd lol
I wish, would have save me from marriage. Am I right?

Hog N Bama

Quote from: pigmania on December 03, 2017, 09:27:56 pm
If No to Norvell, then a double hell NO to Morris!
I'll be nicer and say AMEN

Hogindasticks

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 03, 2017, 09:40:47 pm
That's*

IF the name cant help recruit......will not be successful....period.  If the Kids don't know it....worthless.

cosmodrum

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:42:57 pm
I wish, would have save me from marriage. Am I right?

When ur right ur right
Go away, batin'

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:38:10 pm
Haven't got a good answer to that yet

Why would any school hire a coach? Because he wins.

What's Norvell doing? Winning.

I sense the Gus loss is crushing these guys.

LumberBacks

Quote from: BartIV on December 03, 2017, 09:31:08 pm
Did Bret get a SEC caliber DC, how will this guy? Please explain.
Bielema came to Arkansas with a great reputation.  That's why Long hired him.  He was able to get/keep some seasoned assistants like Chaney, Pittman, Shannon.  One by one those guys left.  Why?  Was it they saw Arkansas as a last resort for coaches, were they unsure that Bielema had a plan to make Arkansas a competitor, was Bielema difficult to work for?  Some of the problems CBB had attracting "quality" assistants is likely more of a CBB thing than an Arkansas thing. 

Hogindasticks

JONAS

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:43:27 pm
IF the name cant help recruit......will not be successful....period.  If the Kids don't know it....worthless.

I'm sure the kids are familiar with Mike Norvell.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 03, 2017, 09:43:27 pm

Lollllllll
Go away, batin'

SNORTZENHOGGER

Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

HogPharmer

BartIV

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 03, 2017, 09:44:06 pm
Why would any school hire a coach? Because he wins.

What's Norvell doing? Winning.

I sense the Gus loss is crushing these guys.
Just seems like we settling. Guess it's all we can get. Like politicians , if you don't like in 4 years, get a new one.

hoghearted

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 03, 2017, 09:33:58 pm
List Norvelle’s qualifications for someone who never heard of him until a month ago.  Please.  Why does this man deserve a job in the SEC after just two years at Memphis?
Personal Life
Going all the way back, he was born in Dallas, played college ball and got his coaching start at UCA, and has lots of ties to both Texas and Arkansas.  His wife's family is from Ft. Smith, he has a brother in Fayetteville, and he has a home on Beaver Lake.  This is a guy who is very familiar with not only Arkansas, but specifically Northwest Arkansas.  That is a great first step as it makes it a lot easier to sell something you believe in. 

Early Coaching Career
Now from a coaching standpoint, he comes from the Todd Graham coaching tree.  After a one year stint as a GA at UCA, he went to Tulsa where he learned the ropes of college football coaching under Graham and Malzahn.  The Graham-Gus-Norvell offensive trio were responsible for 21 wins at Tulsa from 2007-2008, shattering all sorts of school records.  Norvell's WR group featured 3 1000 yard WRs in 2007.  Tulsa also had 4 pass catchers with 8 or more TDs in 2008. 

Norvell followed Graham from Tulsa to Pitt and then to Arizona St the following year where he finally got his first chance at running the offense.  During Norvell's 4 years as OC, Arizona St went 34-18 with back to back 10 win seasons, 4 straight bowl appearances, and two top 20 finishes.  To further illustrate his responsibility for this run, ASU went 5-7 last year after he left and is 5-5 thus far this year.  He also coached QBs at ASU and is widely respected for his ability to develop signal callers.

Graham speaks very highly of Norvell.  He has said that Norvell is the smartest assistant and best OC that has coached under him.  Now before you you just blow that statement off, remember that Graham has a coaching tree that includes Malzahn, Chad Morris, and Applewhite to name a few.

Head Coaching Career
Really the only knock on Norvell is his lack of experience as a head coach.  In his two seasons at Memphis, the Tigers are a combined 16-6 and are 1 win away from clenching their division.  This season they are 8-1.  That record would be 9-1, but they had to cancel a non-con game to reschedule their game against UCF in the wake of the Florida hurricane.  Norvell had the most wins by a first year coach in Memphis history, was the first coach to lead Memphis to a bowl in his first year, and he set several other first year records (first 3-0 start, first to win a game over a ranked opponent, etc).

The script is still being written on his 2017 team, but last year (in his first season as head coach) he had the 2nd most prolific offense in Memphis history.  Now before you go crediting that success to Justin Fuente, lets take a little deeper look at his roster.  Memphis lost its QB (Paxton Lynch) and top 2 WRs the year before Norvell arrived.  Those are some big holes to fill, yet he filled them and put up insane offensive numbers.  Beyond the offense, his 2016 defense ranked 5th nationally in forcing turnovers, and his SPECIAL TEAMS units were some of the best nationally.  Memphis averaged 27 yards per return (5th nationally), set the school record for return TDs in a season with 3 (1st nationally), allowed only 16 yards per opponent return (2nd nationally), averaged over 41 yards per punt (8th nationally), and Memphis had the first team all-conference kicker, punter, and return man in the American conference.  How refreshing to see a coach who places a huge emphasis on special teams. 

This season, as Memphis is off to an 8-1 start, 13/22 Memphis starters are actually Norvell's guys.  This number is extremely high for year two coach, but the reason is that he is bringing in talent like Memphis has never seen.  That brings me to his recruiting.

Recruiting
This is something that should get everyone very excited.  This guy is an incredible recruiter.  In his first full class at Memphis, he already signed the highest rated recruiting class in school history.  This class was also the top class of any school outside of the P5.  He has already signed 7 of the top 20 highest rated recruits in Memphis history.  Riley Ferguson was a major grab, rated the top JuCo QB nationally by some services and a guy with offers from P5 schools. 

I think a more telling stat even than the recruiting rankings are how many of "his" guys are already starting for Memphis.  Their starting QB, TB, 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 LB, and all 4 DBs are guys that were either signed by Norvell or transferred to Memphis under his watch.  Again, that is a huge number for a second year coach, and I think that is a prime example that the success he is having this year is because of him, not a result of leftover talent from Fuente.

TLDR
Mike Norvell is a young, energetic coach with ties to Arkansas, Texas, and Memphis who runs one of the most prolific offenses in the country, is a great developer of QBs, emphasizes excellent special teams, is a fantastic recruiter, and has won a lot of games at Memphis this year with mostly his own players.  With personal connections to NWA, I think this would be a destination job for him, and I do not think there is a better realistic candidate in the nation to take over as our next head coach. 

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hogindasticks

Quote from: LumberBacks on December 03, 2017, 09:44:13 pm
Bielema came to Arkansas with a great reputation.  That's why long hired him.  He was able to get/keep some seasoned assistants like Chaney, Pittman, Shannon.  One by one those guys left.  Why?  Was it they saw Arkansas as a last resort for hiring, were they unsure that Bielema had a plan to make Arkansas a competitor, was Bielema difficult to work for?  Some of the problems CBB had attracting "quality" assistants is likely more of a CBB thing than an Arkansas thing.

I really think thats the issue....his reputation wasnt an SEC reputation.  The kids here didnt know who he was.....how many kids watch football from that area?  If you arent seen as an SEC coach...the kids will not want to be here.