Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables and Norvell taking the lead?

Started by SONofHAM, November 27, 2017, 08:35:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkBilly

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 09:02:12 am
Definitely no rejection there.  Probably feels good to believe it, but not so.  There's a reason he's not being named as head coach right away for three SEC schools.  It's not an accident.
Sorry, he definitely said no to Oxford. Someone very close to the family has stated there are 4 places they would go....Ark, Tn, A/M, MO.  Sorry, sharks are not in it. Not sure about AZ now that they are in search. I think Mississippi AD got a little frightened with Knoxville reverb last night after all the other rejections from coaches. Get someone who is willing to take it now. I also think they may know the NCAA outcome isn't good...speculation.

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 10:10:28 am
What I keep up with is human nature.  And a coach who wants to advance doesn't turn down an SEC head coach job because of the American Athletic Conference championship game.

And how do you know that he hasn't already unofficially accepted the job and will make it official after the AAC Championship game??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Brass Knob

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogfansince79

What I keep up with is human nature.  And a coach who wants to advance doesn't turn down an SEC head coach job because of the American Athletic Conference championship game.

Jeez man... what the hell is the matter with you?  There is NO coach who is going to quit his team, or have the appearance of quitting his team before a championship game.  What kind of message would that send to his current players and future kids that he will be recruiting?  Now... off you go.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

texas tush hog

Brass Knob

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 10:28:28 am
Jeez man... what the hell is the matter with you?  There is NO coach who is going to quit his team, or have the appearance of quitting his team before a championship game.  What kind of message would that send to his current players and future kids that he will be recruiting?  Now... off you go.

It is all but official that Scott Frost is taking the Nebraska job but even they are holding off on an official announcement until after the AAC championship game this weekend...

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 09:04:36 am
No, he actually turned Ole Miss down. It's the talk of the town around Memphis. They believe he's waiting for the Arkansas job.

Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee could all have hired Norvell.  Something in the background check process steered them away.  Tennessee passed on Norvell to offer Greg Schiano.  Let that just sink in for a minute.

So, of the 3 programs that were rumored to have interest in Norvell, 2 of them passed.  If Arkansas and Norvell were in a love affair, there's nothing stopping Arkansas from hiring him.  Yet, they haven't, at least not yet.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

texas tush hog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 10:34:36 am
Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee could all have hired Norvell.  Something in the background check process steered them away.  Tennessee passed on Norvell to offer Greg Schiano.  Let that just sink in for a minute.

So, of the 3 programs that were rumored to have interest in Norvell, 2 of them passed.  If Arkansas and Norvell were in a love affair, there's nothing stopping Arkansas from hiring him.  Yet, they haven't, at least not yet.

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 08:51:04 am
Norvell is off the board. 

Slanderous remarks become libel in print. Keep it up.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkBilly on November 27, 2017, 10:14:56 am
Sorry, he definitely said no to Oxford. Someone very close to the family has stated there are 4 places they would go....Ark, Tn, A/M, MO.  Sorry, sharks are not in it. Not sure about AZ now that they are in search. I think Mississippi AD got a little frightened with Knoxville reverb last night after all the other rejections from coaches. Get someone who is willing to take it now. I also think they may know the NCAA outcome isn't good...speculation.

Missouri doesn't even have a vacancy, and A&M isn't looking at Norvell even as a plan B. 

No one's worried about the "reverb" from Tennessee in Oxford or anywhere else, unless they're planning on hiring Greg Schiano.

Some sexier names told Ole Miss no, no doubt about it.  Luke offered more upsides than anyone else remaining.  I hear it was between him and Chad Morris, the money guys were split, and the cigars backing Luke ultimately had a bit more pull than the other group of fat cats.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HoggieStyle

Are you suggesting something in a background check that is public record? Or do you just hate Norvell for some reason?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 27, 2017, 10:34:56 am
Slanderous remarks become libel in print. Keep it up.

Stick to shade tree coaching searches.  You're even worse at shade tree lawyering.

hogfansince79

How do you know that they all passed on him?   Maybe, Norvell passed on them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Pork Twain

Happy no defense Norvell is off the board
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 27, 2017, 10:38:03 am
Are you suggesting something in a background check that is public record? Or do you just hate Norvell for some reason?

I just hate him.  He turned down Ole Miss, so, I hate him and am part of a conspiracy to smear him.

I also kidnapped the Lindburgh baby and know who let the dogs out.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 10:39:17 am
How do you know that they all passed on him?   Maybe, Norvell passed on them.

Because all coaches at Memphis turn down 3 SEC jobs because Memphis is just that awesome.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 27, 2017, 09:08:13 am
It's more concerning to me that Otis took a story off of an Ole Miss message board, and ran with it... Norvell is very much in play and Memphis boosters and faculty are very pissed about the allegations.

And he should be reprimanded, but he won't be. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 27, 2017, 10:39:19 am
Happy no defense Norvell is off the board

Who's board?  Norvell is firmly on the Arkansas coaching search board.

HoggieStyle

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 10:39:36 am
I just hate him.  He turned down Ole Miss, so, I hate him and am part of a conspiracy to smear him.

I also kidnapped the Lindburgh baby and know who let the dogs out.

First part of the question was serious....and goes unanswered.....

hogfansince79

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 10:40:18 am
Because all coaches at Memphis turn down 3 SEC jobs because Memphis is just that awesome.

Jeez... why don't we tone down the smartass comments, ok?  Maybe, just maybe, he already has an agreement in place with a school and is just waiting to announce a day after the championship game this weekend.

ipigsooie

With what Ole Miss is facing I can see a lot of coaches turning it down. Obviously Norvell is a hot name and I am sure there are other schools reaching out. If ole miss was his only option, he signs for 3 mill at Memphis and stays one more year. Nobody wants the Ole Miss job right now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 09:48:49 am
Man, you really are not following along.  Norvell, as well as Kiffin, play their conference championship games on Saturday.  No coach is going to publicly accept another job with a championship on the line.

The bonus either Norvell or Kiffin get for playing or winning that conf championship game is less than most likely 45 days pay at Arkansas.  They could also negotiate that amount in and it wouldn't be out of the realm to get it. 

With the early signing period, losing a week is HUGE!  Something not really getting mentioned much right now around here but it is something to consider.  IF we don't hire someone before Sunday they are WAY behind the eight ball.  I am about to the point of saying we are so far behind the we are going to miss on some important recruiting time anyways.  I always was against the dang early signing period.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 10:15:07 am
And how do you know that he hasn't already unofficially accepted the job and will make it official after the AAC Championship game??

Leaks happen.  I would think if this were the case, leaks from either Arkansas, Memphis, or other schools pursuing Norvell would happen.  Memphis would know immediately and start to react as well by looking for a coach.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 27, 2017, 10:41:58 am
Who's board?  Norvell is firmly on the Arkansas coaching search board.
I am sure you have sources...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 10:15:07 am
In my earlier post I had the caveat of "unless" the hiring school gave him that flexibility.  with early signing you are losing a full week of recruiting.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 27, 2017, 10:46:16 am
I am sure you have sources...

My only source is that I know every post you make is a negative about Norvell. So just that is enough to convince me that your opinion is just that. A VERY biased opinion.

wildturkey8

I trust Duckman more than an Ole Miss Reb.

onebadrubi

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 27, 2017, 10:53:17 am
I trust Duckman more than an Ole Miss Reb.

Ole Mis reb did say nothing would happen to Ole Miss and all the rumors of NCAA trouble or any violations were just smoke and mirrors/jealousy.

Brass Knob

Ole Miss has major uncertainty swirling around it now - No reason for an up and coming coach like Norvell to take that job, he can hold out for a better option
UTK is a unique situation. Their expectations are no where near reality. That is a school that requires the right fit. Again, a coach like Norvell will be a hot commodity next year and can wait for a situation he feels is better suited to fan expectations and reality. Just look at the dumpster fire that search is turning into...

It would not surprise me for any coach to turn both of those job offers down at this point and hold out for a better opportunity even if that means staying put for the upcoming year.

HF#1

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 11:10:12 am
Ole Miss has major uncertainty swirling around it now - No reason for an up and coming coach like Norvell to take that job, he can hold out for a better option
UTK is a unique situation. Their expectations are no where near reality. That is a school that requires the right fit. Again, a coach like Norvell will be a hot commodity next year and can wait for a situation he feels is better suited to fan expectations and reality. Just look at the dumpster fire that search is turning into...

It would not surprise me for any coach to turn both of those job offers down at this point and hold out for a better opportunity even if that means staying put for the upcoming year.

Ole Miss is sticking with Matt Luke. Announced yesterday.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

clutch

Well, except that they'd need permission from Memphis AD to even talk to him yet. I'm sure part of that permission is that if he accepts, you agree to let him stay through the championship game. You don't really ever see a coach leave before their conference championship game, no matter what conference they are in. They finish what they started and then leave the bowl game to an interim. You don't really want to hire a guy who would bail on his team during a championship game for a paycheck. I'm sure most all of them would, but you don't want to open the door to that and make them do it. You are going to open yourself up to all kinds of backlash. You can just as easily wait another week and hire them conflict free.

ipigsooie

Quote from: clutch on November 27, 2017, 11:13:15 am
Well, except that they'd need permission from Memphis AD to even talk to him yet. I'm sure part of that permission is that if he accepts, you agree to let him stay through the championship game. You don't really ever see a coach leave before their conference championship game, no matter what conference they are in. They finish what they started and then leave the bowl game to an interim. You don't really want to hire a guy who would bail on his team during a championship game for a paycheck. I'm sure most all of them would, but you don't want to open the door to that and make them do it. You are going to open yourself up to all kinds of backlash. You can just as easily wait another week and hire them conflict free.

I agree. Coaches never bail on the conference championship game no matter what league they play. It's just 1 more week. You don't think Scott Frost is going to another school after this week? I knew we would have to wait on Norvell until after the AAC championship. Nothing wrong with that. It's common courtesy.

Grizzlyfan

Out of curiosity, which of you consider Mike Norvell a "home run" hire?  Or even a stand up triple?

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 11:19:27 am
Out of curiosity, which of you consider Mike Norvell a "home run" hire?  Or even a stand up triple?
A double and advancing to third on a fielding error.

clutch

I don't think you can ever really consider anyone a "home run" hire until a few years down the road. You can just never tell how things are going to work out. Do I think Norvell has a ton of potential and upside? Absolutely. Would I like to see him as Head Hog? Absolutely. I won't act like he's a can't miss though, because he could just as easily not work out.

onebadrubi

I do if compared to Les Miles being the coach.  haha

hogfansince79

I don't know about a "home run" hire, but I think he brings a lot to the table of what this program needs right now.

HawgTide

You don't know if they have or haven't hired him

Grizzlyfan

All good answers.  Would you consider either Malzahn or Venables "home run" hires?

HF#1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 11:29:59 am
All good answers.  Would you consider either Malzahn or Venables "home run" hires?

Yes...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Sivad

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:41:54 am
Mike Norvell may turn out to be a great college coach but it's just too early for any SEC school to have him as their #1 choice.
Exactly.
We are the only one chasing him like he's a proven coach.

Sivad

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 11:29:59 am
Not at all.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Sivad on November 27, 2017, 11:32:47 am
Not at all.
Would you consider any of the possibilities out there a "home run"?

HF#1

wildturkey8

Quote from: Sivad on November 27, 2017, 11:32:47 am
Not at all.
Tennessee may be on the verge of hiring Tee Martin who has never been a Head Coach.

jkstock04

I don't claim to have an inside source here like you do...but from the outside looking in this whole rumor screams sour grapes. I mean screams it from the mountain top with the timing. With the whirlwind of NCAA problems ole miss is going through, you honestly think there is zero chance a promising up and comer would turn Ole Miss down?

We'll see. If he winds up nowhere with all these job openings it'll be fairly obvious. I for one hope the rumors are untrue and he winds up here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Sivad

Quote from: HF#1 on November 27, 2017, 11:33:34 am
Why not? Who would you consider a home run hire?
In today's situation, Gus or Lane Kiffin.

HF#1

Quote from: Sivad on November 27, 2017, 11:35:33 am

Why not Venables? Cause he hasn't been a head coach?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Sivad on November 27, 2017, 11:35:33 am
I asked above if Gus would be a home run hire and you said "not at all" ??