Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables and Norvell taking the lead?

Started by SONofHAM, November 27, 2017, 08:35:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfansince79

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 11:29:59 am
All good answers.  Would you consider either Malzahn or Venables "home run" hires?

I'm not a fan of Malzahn's, but he could be consider that because he has the hardware.  Venables... as a DC - yes, as a head coach - not yet anyway.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Sivad

Quote from: HF#1 on November 27, 2017, 11:36:07 am
Why not Venables? Cause he hasn't been a head coach?
Yes, Arkansas has rarely been a school forced to hire an assistant to give him his first shot at showing whether he has what it takes to lead and oversee an entire program.

imtad16

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 27, 2017, 11:33:39 am
Tennessee may be on the verge of hiring Tee Martin who has never been a Head Coach.

Yuck, their process has been rough. Martin could work out and I think Schiano is a good coach that did wonders at Rutgers. However, it just goes to show just because you have a permanent AD in place and then hire a coach doesn't mean all will go smoothly. Booger Mcfarland said if we hired a coach without and AD in place it would be a disaster, well look at that mess in Knoxville with an AD in place. I don't think there is one way to skin a cat. It seems like yes it's ideal to have the AD in place, but you do what you need to do situation to situation.

Hawg Life

Quote from: CiriusPorker on November 27, 2017, 10:12:12 am
I heard a rumor this morning that would strongly indicate Gus to Arkansas if true...

You were lied to.

Sivad

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 11:36:51 am
I asked above if Gus would be a home run hire and you said "not at all" ??
You're right, I wasn't thinking GM but MN.

Hogwild

Assuming that Trey Shaap's report that JPC met with the possible coach on Saturday,  and then Dabo's comments that no one on his staff has been contacted, that would take Venables off the list, right?

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 27, 2017, 09:08:13 am
It’s more concerning to me that Otis took a story off of an Ole Miss message board, and ran with it... Norvell is very much in play and Memphis boosters and faculty are very pissed about the allegations.

Otis is like Frosty the Snowman but made of poo. Why anyone pays him money is beyond me.

PorkBilly

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 10:37:49 am
Missouri doesn't even have a vacancy, and A&M isn't looking at Norvell even as a plan B. 

No one's worried about the "reverb" from Tennessee in Oxford or anywhere else, unless they're planning on hiring Greg Schiano.

Some sexier names told Ole Miss no, no doubt about it.  Luke offered more upsides than anyone else remaining.  I hear it was between him and Chad Morris, the money guys were split, and the cigars backing Luke ultimately had a bit more pull than the other group of fat cats.

The statement was made earlier in the year when MO very well could have been looking...giving the source validity. Chad Morris is an A/M back up plan. He was never coming to Oxford. Good luck with Luke. And if no one in Oxford is worried about protesting students or snowflakes, take a look at your mascot line up.  Maybe you can play Dixie at the Library. It is a sanctuary campus you know.

Paul

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 27, 2017, 09:38:33 am
Ask Geoff Calkins where Mike Norvell wants to coach. He would be the one that is the most plugged in with Norvell.
Calkins said on his radio show that Ark is Norvell's dream job & if offered he would FIGHT for it.  Memphis boosters told me when he was hired that he made it clear off the record that he would wait on the Ark job.  Memphis booster i played golf with yesterday said an unsubstantiated rumor going around is a Norvell/Bowen package deal is possible.  Take it for what it's worth

ipigsooie

Quote from: Paul on November 27, 2017, 02:57:46 pm
Calkins said on his radio show that Ark is Norvell's dream job & if offered he would FIGHT for it.  Memphis boosters told me when he was hired that he made it clear off the record that he would wait on the Ark job.  Memphis booster i played golf with yesterday said an unsubstantiated rumor going around is a Norvell/Bowen package deal is possible.  Take it for what it's worth

I would get behind that.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Paul on November 27, 2017, 02:57:46 pm
If you look at what Bowen has accomplished at Memphis, it's remarkable. We'd be very lucky to get both! I'm all aboard that train!

JONAS

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 09:02:12 am
Definitely no rejection there.  Probably feels good to believe it, but not so.  There's a reason he's not being named as head coach right away for three SEC schools.  It's not an accident.

I was listening to Greg Gaston this morning on a sports talk show in Memphis.  He says he has never heard of a gambling problem or any character issues with Norvell.  If there was something, they would know by now.

ricehog43

Quote from: JONAS on November 27, 2017, 03:10:58 pm
I was listening to Greg Gaston this morning on a sports talk show in Memphis.  He says he has never heard of a gambling problem or any character issues with Norvell.  If there was something, they would know by now.
Yeah I feel like if there was an issue out there, Sports 56 would've heard and shared it by now.
U of A Alum 2011.

Paul

How would y'all feel about Todd Graham as DC?

GuvHog

Quote from: Paul on November 27, 2017, 04:07:25 pm
How would y'all feel about Todd Graham as DC?

I'm on board with that and If Norvell is hired as HC, I believe that would be a real possibility.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!