Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables and Norvell taking the lead?

Started by SONofHAM, November 27, 2017, 08:35:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SONofHAM

November 27, 2017, 08:35:14 am Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:44:12 am by SONofHAM
https://twitter.com/barrettsallee/status/934879088044539904

Venables and Norvell shaping up as top options.

Apparently Venables impressed at the LRTDC in 2016
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

online-with-swine

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 08:51:04 am
Norvell is off the board. 

That sounds pretty definite while others have somewhat backed off on that.  Has something solidified on this now?

HF#1

Yeah I think the reports on Norvell are conflicting at best.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 27, 2017, 08:56:30 am
That sounds pretty definite while others have somewhat backed off on that.  Has something solidified on this now?

I think so.  There's always room for surprise, but I'm pretty confident that Norvell won't be at Arkansas.  The only place I could see him landing is Tennessee, since they're in total panic mode now.

I think Norvell is actually going to end up back in Memphis next year.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NashvilleHog

Rebels are mad that Norvell flat-out rejected them.  This is pure BS started by them.  Many sources saying he is still very much in play.

There is a reason they went ahead and announced Luke as HC.
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 27, 2017, 08:59:55 am
Rebels are mad that Norvell flat-out rejected them.  This is pure BS started by them.  Many sources saying he is still very much in play.

yep.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 27, 2017, 08:59:55 am

Definitely no rejection there.  Probably feels good to believe it, but not so.  There's a reason he's not being named as head coach right away for three SEC schools.  It's not an accident.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 08:59:04 am
I think so.  There's always room for surprise, but I'm pretty confident that Norvell won't be at Arkansas.  The only place I could see him landing is Tennessee, since they're in total panic mode now.

I think Norvell is actually going to end up back in Memphis next year.

You have to figure Arizona State is in the picture for him. They did well with Norvell as OC, and dropped off when he left.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 09:02:12 am
Definitely no rejection there.  Probably feels good to believe it, but not so.  There's a reason he's not being named as head coach right away for three SEC schools.  It's not an accident.

What's the reason?

GuvHog

No, he actually turned Ole Miss down. It's the talk of the town around Memphis. They believe he's waiting for the Arkansas job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NashvilleHog

Yes and all of those recruits committed to Ole Miss because of the beauty of Oxford and the Grove.

Ole Miss fans are skewering Bjork over this HC selection.  If you had the pick of anyone you wanted, including Norvell or Kiffin, why so quick on Luke.
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

HogCzar1

Hawg Life

It's more concerning to me that Otis took a story off of an Ole Miss message board, and ran with it... Norvell is very much in play and Memphis boosters and faculty are very pissed about the allegations.

Sivad

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 27, 2017, 09:05:43 am
why so quick on Luke.
So in 3 or 4 years they can blame the losing on him instead of having had to pay the price for their rampant cheating.

Brass Knob

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 09:04:36 am
No, he actually turned Ole Miss down. It's the talk of the town around Memphis. They believe he's waiting for the Arkansas job.

I have been told his (Norvell) dream job is LSU. I am beginning to wonder if Norvell's plan is to stay at Memphis and try to build on what he has done for 2 or 3 more seasons in anticipation of LSU opening up and having a shot at that job in a few years...

GuvHog

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:24:51 am
I have been told his (Norvell) dream job is LSU. I am beginning to wonder if Norvell's plan is to stay at Memphis and try to build on what he has done for 2 or 3 more seasons in anticipation of LSU opening up and having a shot at that job in a few years...

I seriously doubt that's the case. Orgeron has a huge buyout and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Also, others have said that Arkansas is Norvell's dream job.

Brass Knob

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 09:30:46 am
I seriously doubt that's the case. Orgeron has a huge buyout and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Also, others have said that Arkansas is Norvell's dream job.

That is fine but it is not, it is LSU... Buyouts mean nothing at a school like LSU. If they O gone in two or three years, he will be gone.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:24:51 am

Ask Geoff Calkins where Mike Norvell wants to coach. He would be the one that is the most plugged in with Norvell.

Grizzlyfan

Mike Norvell may turn out to be a great college coach but it's just too early for any SEC school to have him as their #1 choice.  Mike Norvell is going to be the 3rd or 4th choice for every opening in the SEC.  That means a lot of things have to play out, and a lot of teams will have to strike out, for him to get one of these jobs.

Let me amend that.  He may have been #1 on the Ole Miss list because of the mess they are in.  They know they aren't hiring anyone of national consequence.

hogfansince79

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:41:54 am
Mike Norvell may turn out to be a great college coach but it's just too early for any SEC school to have him as their #1 choice.  Mike Norvell is going to be the 3rd or 4th choice for every opening in the SEC.  That means a lot of things have to play out, and a lot of teams will have to strike out, for him to get one of these jobs.

Let me amend that.  He may have been #1 on the Ole Miss list because of the mess they are in.  They know they aren't hiring anyone of national consequence.

lol
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 09:44:10 am
lol
Then why doesn't he have a job yet?  Why didn't Tennessee hire him?

Again, I'm not trying to slam Norvell here.  He may turn out to be great.  But at this point he is a backup plan.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 09:44:10 am
lol
You seriously don't believe Arkansas would have Malzahn and Venables ahead of Norvell on their prospect list?

GuvHog

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:34:06 am
That is fine but it is not, it is LSU... Buyouts mean nothing at a school like LSU. If they O gone in two or three years, he will be gone.

Try again. LSU is already paying the buyout of the basketball coach they fired last year as well as paying Les's big buyout. Orgeron also has a big buyout so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

HogCzar1

LSU is not his dream job.

hogfansince79

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:45:26 am

Again, I'm not trying to slam Norvell here.  He may turn out to be great.  But at this point he is a backup plan.

Man, you really are not following along.  Norvell, as well as Kiffin, play their conference championship games on Saturday.  No coach is going to publicly accept another job with a championship on the line.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Hawg Life

Tennessee went with a defensive coach, so it's really not a knock on Norvell. I'm not sure I'd use Tennessee as an example of how to hire a head coach.

hogfansince79

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:46:31 am
You seriously don't believe Arkansas would have Malzahn and Venables ahead of Norvell on their prospect list?

Nope

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 27, 2017, 09:49:21 am
Tennessee went with a defensive coach, so it's really not a knock on Norvell. I'm not sure I'd use Tennessee as an example of how to hire a head coach.
Well, they thought they were going to hire a defensive coach.  Tell me Clay Travis doesn't have some influence over there.

ipigsooie

Because Tennessee is a dumpster fire of the highest level. Look at what happened yesterday. They have morons running the show. Also they can't hire him. They struck out with their last few "up and comers." They are looking for someone with more experience. With what happened yesterday I have a hard time believing anyone would want that job. Looks like Tee Martin may be what they go with. There is still a debate if UT will have to pay some buyout to Schiano.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 09:48:49 am
Man, you really are not following along.  Norvell, as well as Kiffin, play their conference championship games on Saturday.  No coach is going to publicly accept another job with a championship on the line.
And you are crazy if you don't think a mid-major coach would accept a $5 million a year SEC coaching job on the spot.  Assuming the SEC school gives them a take it or leave it offer.  Conference championship game be darned.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:46:31 am

I don't..

tusksincolorado

Really!!!? It is well documented that the economic situation at LSU, and it's sister universities, has been bleak the past few years. So buying out a huge contact would be a stretch for them at this time or in the near future.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

hogfansince79

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:52:54 am
And you are crazy if you don't think a mid-major coach would accept a $5 million a year SEC coaching job on the spot.  Assuming the SEC school gives them a take it or leave it offer.  Conference championship game be darned.

Well, this is just ignorance of how the coaching profession works.  It might be what you would do, but that isn't how coaches do it.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:52:54 am

It damages your reputation. No one is saying they haven't agreed in principle to take another job, but the right thing to do is coach the championship game then start the new job.

razorbackfaninar

I think that the reason he isn't being named immediately is that his team is still playing.  My guess is that you will find out after they play UCF that he has accepted another job.  If there was anything all that bad in his past it would have already come out. He's been in the public arena for a while now. And the rumors are just vague enough to keep people talking but with no real substance so that people can determine if they are valid.   

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 27, 2017, 09:55:42 am
It damages your reputation. No one is saying they haven’t agreed in principle to take another job, but the right thing to do is coach the championship game then start the new job.

I don't think Arkansas would have a problem with announcing their new HC ASAP and make the hire effective after the Championship game this weekend.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: SONofHAM on November 27, 2017, 08:35:14 am
https://twitter.com/barrettsallee/status/934879088044539904

Venables and Norvell shaping up as top options.

Apparently Venables impressed at the LRTDC in 2016

This was also reported on CBS Sports web site....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 27, 2017, 09:41:54 am

Lincoln Riley to Oklahoma & Kirby Smart to Georgia seems to be working out for them, yet neither of those coaches had the Head Coaching experience that Norvell has. We are not going to get a Big  Name Coach.
I love off season Football!!

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 27, 2017, 08:51:04 am
Norvell is off the board.

thank you

good Lord these people will not accept this fact - hard headed, must be blood relatives of mine

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 10:00:06 am
I don't think Arkansas would have a problem with announcing their new HC ASAP and make the hire effective after the Championship game this weekend.

It might not just be up to Arkansas

hogcods8

Can you not understand that he has a conference championship game Saturday slim? Do you keep up with football, or just the internet rumor mill?

The_Iceman

This could include Venables and Norvell. Also Gus and Kiffin.

imtad16

As of yesterday Barrett Sallee is saying Norvell still very much in the picture. Also, a Memphis writer tweeted yesterday that background check rumors appear to have started in Oxford and any inappropriate behavior would be news to them.

GuvHog

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 27, 2017, 10:01:48 am
thank you

good Lord these people will not accept this fact - hard headed, must be blood relatives of mine

Unfortunately he's wrong. Norvell is still very much on the board.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogcods8 on November 27, 2017, 10:05:14 am
Can you not understand that he has a conference championship game Saturday slim? Do you keep up with football, or just the internet rumor mill?
What I keep up with is human nature.  And a coach who wants to advance doesn't turn down an SEC head coach job because of the American Athletic Conference championship game.

CiriusPorker

I heard a rumor this morning that would strongly indicate Gus to Arkansas if true...

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 27, 2017, 10:07:53 am
This could include Venables and Norvell. Also Gus and Kiffin.

I hate it when the AD puts themselves in a box.  JCP said 10 days to our coaches. The TN athletic director said the same thing.  TN struck out their top candidates, and the AD kept the commitment by hiring Dooley. 

Creating the self inflicted deadline of 10 days is a screw up unless you have the ink dried on a contract (not a MOU like TN this year.)

NashvilleHog

If you haven't figured it out by now, the Mississippi Rebels are the most arrogant fan base on the planet.  Nothing is their fault and nobody rejects them.  If you had listened to Chuck Rounsaville, coaches were lining up to coach in Oxford.  They had Strong, Taggart, Morris, Norvell and Kelly all waiting to be selected and they went with Matt Luke of all people.