Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS reporting Venables and Norvell emerging.

Started by rhog1, November 26, 2017, 02:39:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JOKERHOG

venables = kirby smart type hire.  I would be good with that if he can bring heupal or someone like him as OC...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Tusker4life

Norvell brings more of a UCA type offense from the era he played there doesn't he? Clint Conque type style?
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

Dark Helmet Hog

Swinefeld

I'm not sold on Norvell.  I don't love the Venebles idea, but I could get behind it.

TheEnemy

Its funny that some are scared to hire Kiffin because he might not stay here....but when Snyder retires from Kansas St. Venables will probably replace him.

Venables will drop us in a heart beat for Kansas St. if given the chance.

JONAS

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 26, 2017, 03:44:45 pm
Its funny that some are scared to hire Kiffin because he might not stay here....but when Snyder retires from Kansas St. Venables will probably replace him.

Kiffin only left UT for USC because that was his dream job.  Everywhere else he was fired.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

TheEnemy

Quote from: JONAS on November 26, 2017, 03:46:33 pm
Kiffin only left UT for USC because that was his dream job.  Everywhere else he was fired.

He left Bama for a head coaching job.  Only fired from Raiders and USC.

clutch

Isn't there a really good chance that Snyder retires this year?

JONAS

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 26, 2017, 03:49:01 pm

I meant head coaching jobs, but you are correct.

TheEnemy

Quote from: clutch on November 26, 2017, 03:49:17 pm

He's 78, could be anytime.  And Kansas St. is Venables' Alma Mater and dream job.  Supposedly that is what he has been waiting on.

davril98

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 26, 2017, 03:49:01 pm

And just about everybody gets fired in the NFL. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tusker4life

Hasn't CBB also been mentioned to replace Snyder?
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

SpanHog

proud graduate of the U of A 2013

hogsmash12

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 26, 2017, 03:10:11 pm
If Venables is such a "safe hire" why has his name been mentioned as a HC for the last 15 years, but no one else has hired him?

Maybe he didn't want them after talking to them. Maybe he's been in a position where he can be picky about what he takes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Calvin Swine

If Venables gets it I'll support him but we do not need a defensive head coach at this juncture.  We need butts in the seats to pay for that new end zone expansion.  Some people like a defensive game but forgive my sarcasm when I say nothing drums up excitement in the masses like a 7-3 game. 

rtr

Norvell with Todd Graham as his defensive coordinator.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 26, 2017, 03:51:07 pm
He's 78, could be anytime.  And Kansas St. is Venables' Alma Mater and dream job.  Supposedly that is what he has been waiting on.

The following is from a very good 2015 article about Venables (the article also states about him interviewing for our job in 2012).  The article talks about the Kansas State job aspect.

Venables says he is unlikely to take a job outside a Power Five conference and he'll be particular going forward. (His $1.4 million salary certainly prices him out of a lot of jobs.) "I would never do what Bill Snyder did and take a place like Kansas State," he says. "I don't want to do that. That's torture! I don't want to live like that. I want to wake up and feel good about what I'm doing and be very confident and passionate about what I'm doing."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

deedster84

Quote from: hogsmash12 on November 26, 2017, 04:00:09 pm
Venables over kiffin.
What about Kiffin with Venables. That would be a nice little combo.

Inhogswetrust

Why do you say that? He might, he might not. Heck the best coach ever for tejas was from Oklahoma and he never considered going back there. Another example a little bit closer to home Frank and GT. He could have gone back there anytime he wanted yet didn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calvin Swine on November 26, 2017, 04:06:06 pm
If Venables gets it I'll support him but we do not need a defensive head coach at this juncture.  We need butts in the seats to pay for that new end zone expansion.  Some people like a defensive game but forgive my sarcasm when I say nothing drums up excitement in the masses like a 7-3 game. 

What makes you think he wouldn't hire a very wide open OC?

Gonzo

Quote from: clutch on November 26, 2017, 03:49:17 pm

No, no, they're going to grab another former DC, who just happens to have become available lately

Go Hogs!

Hawg Life

Quote from: HawgTide on November 26, 2017, 02:43:06 pm

I would be extremely happy with either Norvell or Venables

They could hire both for what it would cost to hire Gus, but Gus never was coming.

Gonzo

Quote from: Calvin Swine on November 26, 2017, 04:06:06 pm

Nevermind Venables has been coaching nearly the last two decades for teams with pretty open offenses, how often do you see a 7 - 3 game anywhere anymore? That's not today's game, hasn't been for awhile.

Go Hogs!

Sivad

Venables is too boring.
With the big stadium expansion not paid for and our recent slump, we desperately need excitement which Kiffin brings, as well as his coaching and recruiting which will bring the wins.

Hawg Life

Quote from: rtr on November 26, 2017, 04:06:32 pm
Norvell with Todd Graham as his defensive coordinator.

This.. Graham got a $12.3 million dollar buyout and it's not effected by future employment. It'd be less money.

hogsmash12

Quote from: deedster84 on November 26, 2017, 04:09:12 pm
What about Kiffin with Venables. That would be a nice little combo.

Would be awesome but happening

hogsmash12

Hugo Bezdek

And Jimmy Johnson is coming back to Arkansas when he does.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Sivad on November 26, 2017, 04:14:52 pm
Venables is too boring.
With the big stadium expansion not paid for and our recent slump, we desperately need excitement which Kiffin brings, as well as his coaching and recruiting which will bring the wins.

I agree with the notion the new coach, whoever it is, will need an exciting offense. I don't think a defensive minded coach with a boring offense will sell tickets.

hogfansince79

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 26, 2017, 04:07:34 pm
The following is from a very good 2015 article about Venables (the article also states about him interviewing for our job in 2012).  The article talks about the Kansas State job aspect.

Venables says he is unlikely to take a job outside a Power Five conference and he'll be particular going forward. (His $1.4 million salary certainly prices him out of a lot of jobs.) "I would never do what Bill Snyder did and take a place like Kansas State," he says. "I don't want to do that. That's torture! I don't want to live like that. I want to wake up and feel good about what I'm doing and be very confident and passionate about what I'm doing."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

Well, maybe I'm reading that snippit wrong... but he sounds like an arrogant jerk to me.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HogCzar1 on November 26, 2017, 04:20:47 pm
I agree with the notion the new coach, whoever it is, will need an exciting offense. I don't think a defensive minded coach with a boring offense will sell tickets.

OU and Clemson both run high flying offenses. Why would you expect Venables to run anything else when he hires an OC?

Inhogswetrust

Venables is too boring.

Dude I guess you haven't watched any of Clemson's games. You should see him on the sidelines! Boring is the opposite of the description I would use!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 26, 2017, 04:24:11 pm
Well, maybe I'm reading that snippit wrong... but he sounds like an arrogant jerk to me.

Most good coaches are.

TX HOG

Venables is too boring.

Kiffin brings immediate excitement. Venables is a very intense and gets fired up. He's a bit of a 'boring' hire but he won't be a boring coach/leader

Bubba's Bruisers

I'd be confident that Venables would hire a very good OC.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

TX HOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2017, 04:29:23 pm
I'd be confident that Venables would hire a very good OC.

Absolutely! Plus he already knows how to prepare his defenses when his teams ofdemse is high flying fast offense.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 26, 2017, 04:24:57 pm
OU and Clemson both run high flying offenses. Why would you expect Venables to run anything else when he hires an OC?

I didn't say Venables would be boring. I said the new coach needs to have an exciting offense. But, both OU and Clemson's Head Coach are in charge of the offense. They are not done by a Coordinator

a0ashle

Quote from: TX HOG on November 26, 2017, 04:30:23 pm
Absolutely! Plus he already knows how to prepare his defenses when his teams ofdemse is high flying fast offense.

An important consideration...

TheEnemy

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 26, 2017, 04:24:11 pm

I read that as spoken tongue in cheek.  The article is about Venables being extremely loyal.....much like Snyder has been at K-State.

idochog

I love Jesus!

Hog Pharm

Quote from: HogCzar1 on November 26, 2017, 04:33:05 pm
I didn't say Venables would be boring. I said the new coach needs to have an exciting offense. But, both OU and Clemson's Head Coach are in charge of the offense. They are not done by a Coordinator

Clemson's offense is run by co-OCs

deedster84

Quote from: hogsmash12 on November 26, 2017, 04:16:32 pm

Not happening I meant

Yeah, would be nice. I just figured I'd sound as delusional as MANY of the posters on Hogville.
Most are the ones runny down everyone's opinion that doesn't agree with their agenda. Thinking only their coach can succeed at Arkansas.

ChicoHog

This is great news if true.  I've wanted Venables from the start but never thought it was a consideration.  Of all the candidates mentioned he and Kiffin are the two best recruiters.  That's what we need the most.  Of course like many have said we really don't know what is happening.  As long as it's not Leach I will not cancel my donation and tickets.  If it's Venables, Kiffin, or Norvell I might increase my donation! 

Nosboar Accubond

hawgbawb

Let's git em both.  A defensive head coach and an offensive head coach. Pay em each $3M a year with a $1M bonus if they win the SEC.  ;D
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

okrazorback

Venables is too boring.

We want either Gus or Bobby

Hawg Life