Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like Benintendi to arbitration

Started by JHicks3636, January 10, 2020, 08:33:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Boston had 7 arbitration eligible players. They reached agreement with 5 but failed to come to terms with Benintendi and Rodriquez. Rumor is that Benintendi asked $4.15 million and was offered $3.4 million. The small difference makes one begin questioning how much they value Benintendi in view of what some of the other players received. He will still have 2 years of potential arbitration left. Will be interesting to see if a trade is in his future or if he simply plays out the next three years, tells Boston to stuff it and moves on. Of course the best thing for him would be to have a breakout year and improve his bargaining power and worth.

TebowHater

Hate to see him not get what he wants. Hope they can figure it out in Boston.

That said, he hasn't played up to his potential at the plate for a while; hopefully has that break out year that he is capable of and gets even more!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: TebowHater on January 10, 2020, 09:14:44 pm
Hate to see him not get what he wants. Hope they can figure it out in Boston.

That said, he hasn't played up to his potential at the plate for a while; hopefully has that break out year that he is capable of and gets even more!

hahaha, you make it seem like making a big league roster in the first place is simple and easy.  He has had one somewhat under-preforming year that started off with him being asked to move to leadoff.  He never really fit into the spot and never really recovered from the experiment.  This will only be his third full year and he is a very young man still.  He still has a marvelously successful career in front of him.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

WBOBO

Neither Mookie or Beni enjoyed batting in the leadoff spot.   Look for the Sox
to find someone to fill that spot this year and hopefully put Mookie in the 2 and Beni in the 3 spots.  That team really didn't know how much they miss
Pedroia.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

hoglady

I will be super disappointed if he is traded.
Hopefully they eventually work it out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

john

I'd hate for him to be traded, unless it was to the Cardinals or the Yankees

hoglady

Quote from: john on January 12, 2020, 09:54:42 pm
I’d hate for him to be traded, unless it was to the Cardinals or the Yankees

I hate the thought of him being a Yankee - then as a lifelong Red Sox fan I will be forced to root against him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

HogPharmer

Quote from: hoglady on January 11, 2020, 11:15:27 am
I will be super disappointed if he is traded.
Hopefully they eventually work it out.

Ditto. Love the Red Sox and love Benni... Hopefully they can work out a mutually good agreement.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

JHicks3636

Will be interesting to see what punishment is coming Boston's way. Judging by Houston's fate today it may not be pretty.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on January 13, 2020, 09:50:06 pm
Will be interesting to see what punishment is coming Boston's way. Judging by Houston's fate today it may not be pretty.

Well - considering Hinch and the GM got suspended for 1 year (and then fired by the Astros owner) / the Red Sox should be making plans for someone other than Cora to manage the team this year.
His punishment will include what happened at Houston 2017 plus what the investigation shows into the 2018 Red Sox. It's expected to be severe.
I would guess a minimum of 2 year suspension and maybe even worse than that.
If Cora ends up being the one behind it at both places - I wouldn't be surprised to see him booted out of the game for 5 years.

porque

January 14, 2020, 09:16:32 am #10 Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:08:52 am by porque
Quote from: JHicks3636 on January 13, 2020, 09:50:06 pm

Houston got off easy and there are lots of powerful people unhappy about it.  Manford has lost support among many owners.  Some, I think, will wait for the right time and then try to take him out.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28477741/why-anger-boiling-scenes-houston-astros-sign-stealing-punishments

SeldomHere

Quote from: john on January 12, 2020, 09:54:42 pm
I'd hate for him to be traded, unless it was to the Cardinals or the Yankees

Go Cards
Boo Evil Empire

Let's go Hogs
All losing fan bases are the same. Insufferable to each other.
All winning fan bases are the same. Insufferable to everyone else.

hoglady

Well - reported last night that the Red Sox have fired Cora / would have to assume the investigation is not going well.

porque

Quote from: hoglady on January 15, 2020, 07:23:44 am
Well - reported last night that the Red Sox have fired Cora / would have to assume the investigation is not going well.

Cora was part of the Houston investigation as well.

hoglady

Quote from: porque on January 15, 2020, 09:19:10 am
Cora was part of the Houston investigation as well.

Oh - I know.
But the Red Sox investigation is still ongoing - that's why the league is waiting to hand down Cora's punishment.

porque

Quote from: hoglady on January 15, 2020, 09:47:45 am
Oh - I know.
But the Red Sox investigation is still ongoing - that's why the league is waiting to hand down Cora's punishment.

I guess my point was that he was getting fired anyway for the Houston stuff, regardless of what comes out of the Red Sox investigation.

hoglady

Quote from: porque on January 15, 2020, 11:15:38 am
I guess my point was that he was getting fired anyway for the Houston stuff, regardless of what comes out of the Red Sox investigation.

I'm just curious how many years they are going to keep him out of baseball.
Hinch suspended from baseball for 1 year - Cora's is bound to be more severe.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hoglady on January 15, 2020, 06:16:59 pm
I'm just curious how many years they are going to keep him out of baseball.
Hinch suspended from baseball for 1 year - Cora's is bound to be more severe.
It wouldn't surprise me to see him banned for life.  It is said he was the mastermind for the Astros and then there are allegations with the Red Sox.

hoglady

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 15, 2020, 08:10:34 pm
It wouldn't surprise me to see him banned for life.  It is said he was the mastermind for the Astros and then there are allegations with the Red Sox.

I don't know - there's still too many other teams that may be investigated, too.
Possibly up to 8 teams have been accused of the same.
I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 years for Cora.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hoglady on January 15, 2020, 08:28:36 pm
I don't know - there's still too many other teams that may be investigated, too.
Possibly up to 8 teams have been accused of the same.
I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 years for Cora.
I think this stealing signs via equipment has reached pandemic proportions throughout the whole league. MLB is about to be exposed.

ad: Still pulling for Benni Baseball, hope he wins his arbitration. The problem with that small of an impasse is that he might be losing more in goodwill than he'll be gaining in salary if he wins. Benintendi has many years left, but dude needs one year where he breaks out of his averageness. Benintendi needs to hit about .320, 40 RBI's, steal about 25 bags and errors as rare as hen's teeth. Then he will get that big contract he's been looking forl
The long Grey line will never fail our country.