Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Love and hate this time of year.

Started by LRCentralTiger, November 14, 2012, 06:32:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRCentralTiger

I love the holiday season from now through the last bowl game in 2013.

I hate it because not many big races from now until early next year.

Anybody know the 2 yo schedule for the remainder of the year?

showhimthewhip

This Saturday is the $1 Million Delta Downs Jackpot.  From what I can tell.  The race is worth 10 pts towards the KY Derby race.  Can anyone elaborate on the new points system?  How do they set what each race is worth in the points system?  Are Gr I worth so many, Gr. II worth so many... and so on?

Horsesrus

The grades of the races don't matter.  Churchill selected the races and assigned points for those races on their own.  This story has a good break-down of the races and the points that can be earned for the Derby and Oaks.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/06/14/points-based-system-will-determine-kentucky-derby-field.aspx

cbhawg03

November 14, 2012, 11:05:37 am #3 Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:08:24 am by cabolbrooks
Kentucky Derby 2013 point standings

Rank    Horse                   Trainer         Points
1    Shanghai Bobby           Todd Pletcher    10
2    Joha                            Mike Maker            10
3    Power Broker            Bob Baffert            10
4    River Seven            Nick Gonzalez    10
5    Steeler                    Mark Johnston    10
6    Dynamic Sky             Mark Casse    4
7    Know More                    Doug O'Neill    4
8    Goldencents            Doug O'Neill    4
9    Artigiano               Mahmood Al Zarooni    4
10    Tesseron                   Josie Carroll            4
11    Java's War                   Ken McPeek            2
12    Fortify              Kiaran McLaughlin    2
13    Indiano Jones             Mark Casse    2
14    Capo Bastone             John Sadler    2
15    Al Waab                     Henry Cecil    2
16    Pataky Kid                     Tom Proctor    1
17    Carving                     Bob Baffert    1
18    Birdman                    David Simcock    1
19    Five Iron                    Bryan Lynch    1
20    Archwarrior          Todd Pletcher    1

**Does not take into account points from the BC

Sorry its all messed up, but here is the link http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-2013-point-standings

showhimthewhip

Ok.  Now I understand the system better.  Thanks guys.  So, now, let me ask you this.  What do you guys think about it?

Horsesrus

I think it's a step in the right direction since I agree with de-valuing the 2 year old form to a degree.  I think the intentional ignoring of the Illinois Derby at Hawthorne was a cheap shot by the Churchill corporate types due to the ongoing battle in Chicago between Arlington and Hawthorne.  I'm a huge fan of European racing but the inclusion of the Royal Lodge Stakes is kind of silly.  Including the UAE Derby is border line with me as Southern Hemisphere 3 year olds run in that race who wouldn't be eligible in Kentucky anyway.  My opinion is if an international horse wants to run in the Derby, they could come over for one of the last preps and likely still get in the field with a win.

Not a perfect system but an improvement in my opinion.

showhimthewhip

What importance can be put on the 2 year old season then??? If there arent many points for those races, why race them?  Other than the $$$, of course.  It seems like a logical move that if I have a rocket 2 yr old, I'm not going to race him for the 2 yr old money and save him for the much bigger 3 yr old purses, in fear of injury or getting wasted up.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: showhimthewhip on November 14, 2012, 02:54:40 pm
What importance can be put on the 2 year old season then??? If there arent many points for those races, why race them?  Other than the $$$, of course.  It seems like a logical move that if I have a rocket 2 yr old, I'm not going to race him for the 2 yr old money and save him for the much bigger 3 yr old purses, in fear of injury or getting wasted up.
there hasn't been a horse to win the KY DERBY since 1882 who did not race as a 2 year old....not even the great Curlin could over come the lack of experience.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.