Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

changes at Oaklawn

Started by husker71, October 31, 2012, 02:16:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

couple of changes for the upcoming season  First, all horses will undergo a pre race check over by track vet the morning of the race.  Second, if you claim a horse and it dies during the race or it is taken off in a horse ambulance you now will have 1 hour to void the claim.

The Hog

Automatic RUN!

RockChalkJayhawk

Color me uninformed, but I thought all horses were vet-checked the day of racing, hence "vet-scratches" ... is this not the case everywhere?

The one-hour rule seems to be a great thing.  I'm sure someone with more knowledge could help me here .... would it perhaps cut down on trainers "dumping stock"?  Either way, it's nice to know new connections won't be stuck with a lame or deceased horse in these instances.

How about refunding the money bet on these types of horses.  I seem to have the ability to put money on these kind!  ;D

heavylifting

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on October 31, 2012, 07:13:45 pm
Color me uninformed, but I thought all horses were vet-checked the day of racing, hence "vet-scratches" ... is this not the case everywhere?

I was surprised last year to learn that Pennsylvania did not require pre-race vet exams.

I don't know if you remember, but last year (not this year) a prominent trainer named Joe Woodard got into a dustup with Turfway Park officials during the fall meet, because the vet(s) there were scratching a lot of his horses. So, he pulled up stakes and shifted his action to Penn National.

That's also where Michael Gill made his last stand, although the jockeys there finally took matters into their own hands. I think that matter is still being litigated in the courts.

I should also mention that Pennsylvania may have since instituted a rule mandating pre-race exams, although I'm not sure.

Suffice it to say, I think that all horses should be looked at by a vet the day they are to run.

showhimthewhip

I wonder how extensive the pre-race exams are going to be?  Just a once-over with the naked eye while jogging?  I would like to see it get to the point of X-ray exams before each race.  That would probably cut down on most of the breakdowns, however, probably cut down on most of the entries all together.

MC_Hog

As a former horse owner I think it's a great move!

SEdrhawg

Quote from: showhimthewhip on November 01, 2012, 08:49:41 am
I wonder how extensive the pre-race exams are going to be?  Just a once-over with the naked eye while jogging?  I would like to see it get to the point of X-ray exams before each race.  That would probably cut down on most of the breakdowns, however, probably cut down on most of the entries all together.

While I see your point, I think it may be a little excessive to X-ray all horses before races.  You have to weigh cost:benefit ratio of the screening.  The number of horses you would save by X-ray for all horses is probably not sufficient to warrant the cost.  I know its "cold" but that is way of the business.  Same concept applies in medicine where we don't blanket screen all smokers for cancer.

songofthesword

lol why do you need an hour to think about something if the horse dies? what is there to think about?

showhimthewhip

maybe the new owner wants to keep them to make a pelt.  You know those morning workouts at OP can be pretty brisk.  It can take an hour to weigh those options.

showhimthewhip

That's in bad taste.  I apologize.