Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did lack of 2 a days hurt us last year? Maybe not...

Started by theFlyingHog, August 23, 2016, 01:10:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

https://mobile.twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/767916310810460160

G Mc says we may have been a little worn out because we practice like we play.
Sorry idk how to post a tweet other than this

PorkRinds

Oh lord. This again?  We used all the allotted time that we had last year. No more and no less.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 23, 2016, 01:16:14 pm
Oh lord. This again?  We used all the allotted time that we had last year. No more and no less.
I agree. I'm just trying to make sure everyone understands

a0ashle

??? ??? ??? ???

Oh no, maybe we practiced TOO much this year

??? ??? ???

\s

Atlhogfan1

No.  I think a combo of events threw the team off mentally and physically and the coaches mentally.  JWill's injury, Pittman-Enos adjusting to each other, overestimation of the quality of the dline and more injuries as the season started.  It was a near worst case scenario.  Don't think it was two a days that led to the bad prep for what Toledo did vs our run or the defensive plan vs TT. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 23, 2016, 01:41:41 pm
No.  I think a combo of events threw the team off mentally and physically and the coaches mentally.  JWill's injury, Pittman-Enos adjusting to each other, overestimation of the quality of the dline and more injuries as the season started.  It was a near worst case scenario.  Don't think it was two a days that led to the bad prep for what Toledo did vs our run or the defensive plan vs TT.

I agree with you about everything but how can you say that was a near worse case scenario so soon after 2012?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: a0ashle on August 23, 2016, 01:37:56 pm
??? ??? ??? ???

Oh no, maybe we practiced TOO much this year

??? ??? ???

\s

No, CBB followed this rule.

The Goldilocks principle is derived from a children's story "The Three Bears" in which a little girl named Goldilocks finds a house owned by three bears. Each bear has its own preference of food and beds. After testing all three examples of both items, Goldilocks determines that one of them is always too much in one extreme (too hot or too large), one is too much in the opposite extreme (too cold or too small), and one is "just right".[

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 23, 2016, 01:44:09 pm
I agree with you about everything but how can you say that was a near worse case scenario so soon after 2012?

Just as far as last season's start.  Not for the program as a whole.  I wouldn't compare the two situations.  As far as last season, what happened in August and Sept was a series of what could go wrong pretty much did.  The Toledo game was the glaring example of it.  We make a big play vs TT and our wr breaks his arm. 

I also believe mentally, the coaches and team were looking at A&M as the season's real start and ahead to the at Tenn and at Bama weeks.  That was fine for preparing for UTEP.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

I've heard the maximin "you play like you practice" all my life.  What exactly that has to do with it I just don't know.  We broke bones in practice so we broke bones in games eh?  Like has been mentioned you can run through a laundry list of things but f that maximin is true it started with practice. 

It's the coaches job to figure it out...my head is already hurting.

hogsanity

Two-a-days are going the way of the dinosaur. Two-a-days now are just as likely to be a full practice and then a film study or a walk through as opposed to two full on hard practices. I heard the other day on some show where Bama does not even sprints, just 10 or 15 years ago that would have been looked at as crazy. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

a0ashle

Last week's Hard Knocks Jeff Fisher talked about this very trend in the NFL. I thought he might blame the CBA with the NFLPA, but instead he pointed out that Off season conditioning has come so far, that the idea of getting players "back into shape" doesn't even make sense.

hogsanity

Quote from: a0ashle on August 23, 2016, 02:40:30 pm
Last week's Hard Knocks Jeff Fisher talked about this very trend in the NFL. I thought he might blame the CBA with the NFLPA, but instead he pointed out that Off season conditioning has come so far, that the idea of getting players "back into shape" doesn't even make sense.

even in many hs programs ( even jrhs ) football players are in off season for the entire spring and summer, except for designated dead periods. My son was a 7th grader last year and they lifted, ran, did agility drills every day as soon as Christmas break ended, and then they had however many spring practices they were allowed, then went straight to "voluntary" workouts when school ended, and those went all summer except for the 2 week dead period.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 23, 2016, 01:10:40 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/767916310810460160

G Mc says we may have been a little worn out because we practice like we play.
Sorry idk how to post a tweet other than this
Not 2 a days...but the fact that they eased up or maybe all but stopped any heavy conditioning...was a major factor in my opinion.

Bielema came out a couple weeks before season and specifically said as much due to the fact that we were already in such amazing shape. Looked the opposite to me.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cinco de Hogo

In the end it doesn't matter how well you prepared or think you prepared, it's how well you prepared in comparison to you opponents.  The game tells the story one way or the other.  The best team doesn't win all the time so preparation is a key element.  Again, I don't know if that has anything to do with two a days.