Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changes to the 105: a new topic of discussion.

Started by luke hawg, August 21, 2016, 01:25:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

I've been watching and following razorback football at an unhealthy level for probably 15 years. I am too young to remember the glory years of the SWC. The one constant from Ford to Bielema is the lack of depth our program has compared to championship contenders. This is the first coach that has mentioned the 105. I acknowledge rule changes are partly responsible but the idea that scholarship players are being moved in and out of the 105 is truly remarkable. There are rules in regards to managing a roster that I didn't know existed because they've just now become relevant to us. The competition has extended from making the first team to being on the roster. Most coaches preach competition being crucial to player development. It's nice to know that everyone is competing for something.

hawginbigd1

I think next year the 105 is going to be even tougher to make. The thing is we have probably 8 -10 D1 guys here that aren't even on scholarship. Plus we have lost very few players in the last 2 years. The recent defections are the exception under CBB. We sign 23 or 24 each year and we don't lose very many and we reward some of these non scholarship guys so you end up with 115-120 D1 players and only 105 can come to camp. There are probably 25 or so that will never contribute or only contribute on teams in a game, but they are very talented scout teamers which is a valuable contribution.

Bacon_Bitz

I agree but remember the scholarship limit is always 85

FANONTHEHILL

Another consideration is "recruited/invited" walk ons.  Many of these guys turn down offers from Non-Power 5 conferences or FCS programs.  Some are assured a spot in camp as part of their commitment.  Almost a of these freshman will redshirt.  These will take several spots in the 105.  This year we had some scholarship players not in the 105 initially, but in town and on "standby" as soon as someone went down with injury.  The fact we've never really discussed this is proof that until Coach Bielema got here, we haven't built this level of depth or had this quality of a walk on program.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

luke hawg

August 21, 2016, 02:08:39 pm #4 Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:20:13 pm by luke hawg
I think this also gives you more flexibility in recruiting classes in terms of the size of class you sign.

tophawg19

Also some of those not on the 85 scholarships are on academic scholarships until the actually play in a game. Many who turn down lesser school scholarships to walk on can go on Academic until the earn a scholarship or play .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

luke hawg

I think we are probably another 3 years from seeing the full benefit of bielema's method. This season is huge. We need to keep plugging along with 7-9 win seasons. It seems we've had a hard time not regressing after back to back winning seasons.

Piggfoot

For FBS schools here are some numbers.
85- the number of players on roster which are receiving financial aid
105- the number of players listed on roster during the off season and eligible to participate in camps during the off season. The off season is that period following the last game of a season until the first game of the next or until classes start. During season a team may expand the 105 number without limit.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2016, 07:43:50 pm
Also some of those not on the 85 scholarships are on academic scholarships until the actually play in a game. Many who turn down lesser school scholarships to walk on can go on Academic until the earn a scholarship or play .

Also part of that is the 2 year rule for walk on players.  The total list for scholarships is 85.  The most you can sign in each year's class is 25.  The exception is walk on players (on academic scholarship or paying their won way) that have been in the program for two years.  If they are awarded a scholarship, it counts against the 85, but not the 25 for that academic year.
The system is designed to fill the holes for guys that leave the program. It's a good system.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pigsknuckles

Never underestimate the value of scout teamers. Those Rudy's may never see the field, but are the behind the scenes heroes that make sure our starters are prepared.
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 21, 2016, 01:33:57 pm
I think next year the 105 is going to be even tougher to make. The thing is we have probably 8 -10 D1 guys here that aren't even on scholarship. Plus we have lost very few players in the last 2 years. The recent defections are the exception under CBB. We sign 23 or 24 each year and we don't lose very many and we reward some of these non scholarship guys so you end up with 115-120 D1 players and only 105 can come to camp. There are probably 25 or so that will never contribute or only contribute on teams in a game, but they are very talented scout teamers which is a valuable contribution.
[/b]
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DeltaBoy

I see this as working out good for the Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.