Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN pre season power rankings: TCU #15

Started by popcornhog, August 20, 2016, 10:37:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

August 20, 2016, 10:37:22 pm Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:40:27 am by popcornhog
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17272472/alabama-crimson-tide-clemson-tigers-college-football-playoff-frontrunners-again

*note TCU is 13 and 14 in the AP and Coaches polls, respectively. We're 35 and 33. This game is a huge opportunity.

It seems like TCU is getting a lot of pre season love. This is huge for us to have the opportunity for a big time pre-conference road win. As someone who doesn't follow non SEC off season football -- I didn't realize they had such high expectations.

The Horned Frogs trail only Washington among my surprise teams in 2016. They lacked that tough Gary Patterson defense last season, allowing 398.4 yards per game after pacing the conference with just 340.3 allowed over the previous three years. Last year's unit brings back eight starters, putting the defensive line, linebackers and secondary position groups all in my top 20. Though they lose QB Trevone Boykin, WR Josh Doctson and RB Aaron Green on offense, I do like the replacements. Kenny Hill, who transferred out of Texas A&M, where he threw for 2,649 yards in 2014, fits well with the offense, while Kyle Hicks figures to take over at running back after averaging 4.8 yards per carry last year. TCU is an underdog against only Oklahoma (+3), which it beat in 2014. If the Horned Frogs upset the Sooners again, they would have a clear path to the Big 12 title and a playoff berth, assuming they handle a depleted Baylor team in a toss-up game late in the year.

WPS

SooiecidetillNuttgone

A lot of fans on here are predicting a Hog victory because they lost a lot on offense.
So did we.
New QB, OL, backfield, no Henry.

Will we be alright?

I think so, but I'm not willing to just say, "We'll win because they lost so much, and we're the Hogs."
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rzrbk4life

Definitely think this game will tell a lot about our team. Would love to pull out a W against them and get the season going in the right direction.

Feel like if we can get a W against them on the road it would be a huge confidence builder for this team before we start SEC play. WPS
Let's call those hogs!!!!

goodguytex

Quote from: rzrbk4life on August 21, 2016, 04:58:17 am
Definitely think this game will tell a lot about our team. Would love to pull out a W against them and get the season going in the right direction.

Feel like if we can get a W against them on the road it would be a huge confidence builder for this team before we start SEC play. WPS
This game and the Aggie game I think are the key to winning either 7-8 games on the season or potentially 9-11 games on the year. We lose both, I think we win no more than 8.

We win both I think we can win 10. We split I think we win 9. We will see how we start this year.

DeshaHog

Quote from: goodguytex on August 21, 2016, 05:04:41 am
This game and the Aggie game I think are the key to winning either 7-8 games on the season or potentially 9-11 games on the year. We lose both, I think we win no more than 8.

We win both I think we can win 10. We split I think we win 9. We will see how we start this year.

I've been saying this for a long time and I agree wholeheartedly.  When you look how tough our schedule is after those first few games, we MUST beat one of TCU/A&M.  If we go 0-2 in that stretch it could be another tough season where we start slow but finish strong.  Would love to see a strong season all the way through this time around.

Hogwild

Quote from: goodguytex on August 21, 2016, 05:04:41 am

My prediction is an 8 win season, but we have to win atleast one of the games in Texas

goodguytex

Quote from: Hogwild on August 21, 2016, 12:45:30 pm
My prediction is an 8 win season, but we have to win atleast one of the games in Texas
If TCU were later in the year, we win easy. 2nd game?  I just don't know. All depends on how much maturity the young players show. How ready they are.

31to6

Quote from: goodguytex on August 21, 2016, 12:58:37 pm
If TCU were later in the year, we win easy. 2nd game?  I just don't know. All depends on how much maturity the young players show. How ready they are.
It really boils down to: are we further ahead in getting our running game rebuilt than they are in getting their defense rebuilt.

I think we have to assume they will be able to move the ball in the air.

If their defense is massively improved and our running game is shaky, we can't play keep-away and keep their offense on the sidelines.

I don't think we want to see if AA can keep up with them and make clutch 4th quarter plays in a 52-51 type barnburner. Not that he *can't* but it would be a risky proposition even with a seasoned QB.

I think we either win this game in a 30-20 type game where we force a couple 3-and-outs and hold the ball a lot or we roll the dice in a shoot-out and risk a close loss or even a repeat of TTU from last year.

I do NOT think we throw a way a big lead like we have against aTm. I think Paul Rhoads will have the secondary in a place where we feed on teams airing it out trying to get back into the game--rather than watching a couple big plays late in the game erase 45 minutes of dominance.

LA Football fan

I think it is much easier for our offense to reload than it is for TCU's offense to reload.  A running team has a higher chance of moving the ball without as much risk for turnovers than a passing team, especially a passing team that has a new qb throwing the ball.  I think Rhoades will have our secondary playing close enough to take away the easy first downs that we gave Tech last year.  TCU may burn us for a long score to two but I think our defense will also burn them with a turnover or two to even things out.  We have to score when we get in the red zone and take advantage of their defense cheating up to stop the run.   I think our new fb will play a key component in opening lanes for our running backs.  From everything I have heard so far, he is the real deal.  I also think Austin will have more weapons to throw to in the passing game to give us just enough of an edge to come out on top.  Will definitely be a tough game on the road so early in the season though.  Hopefully we can take the crowd out of it early.

alohawg

August 21, 2016, 03:16:45 pm #9 Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:16:43 pm by alohawg
How nice would it be to have a repeat like the dominantion of TT in Lubbock a couple years ago?  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

theFlyingHog

Pressure the QB. If our D can, we win. Our DL can help our secondary immensely and they'll probably need it. We all saw what our D accomplished when Flowers, Spaight and Philon were wreaking havoc up front.

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Raiderman

Quote from: alohawg on August 21, 2016, 03:16:45 pm
How nice would it be to have a repeat like the dominantion of TT in Lubbock a couple years ago?  :)

Oh come on. Last year's game was so much better.  ;)

tangman

I feel better about Bama than I do about TCU. I get a nervous tic every time we face a team I suspect will air it out on us.

Steef

Everything depends on the Oline. The entire season depends on the Oline.

If they get it done, we have a whole team and can beat anyone on our schedule. Including TCU.

If they don't get it done, we will see a lot of games where our defense runs out of steam in the third quarter and we lose.

LA Football fan

I think we have two rbs that can take it to the house on any play for the first time in awhile.  I think the Oline will open enough holes for Williams and Whaley to find some daylight or break some tackles to create some daylight.  AA has some weapons to throw to all over the field so it is going to be very difficult for opposing defenses to load the box, especially if you have Reed on one side of the field and Jones on the other.  That is blazing speed that you have to account for.  Hatcher and Morgan will provide solid targets as well as Sprinkle at TE.  I think our offense is going to be more lethal than what people are expecting.  This Oline is going against one of the best Dlines in the SEC everyday in practice, that has to help in bringing them up to speed also.   I think TCU's offense will have a much more difficult time dealing with our defense than we will with theirs.  I realize we will be underdogs in this game but I won't be surprised if we come out and take control of this game from the outset.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Steef on August 22, 2016, 09:09:34 pm
Everything depends on the Oline. The entire season depends on the Oline.

If they get it done, we have a whole team and can beat anyone on our schedule. Including TCU.

If they don't get it done, we will see a lot of games where our defense runs out of steam in the third quarter and we lose.

Yep, and AA limits mistakes. He'll have to adjust, as all new starters do.  Not sure what the secondary will look like.

We always assume and hope for no significant injuries.

Tons of potential.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

TheRazorback500

We are going to know a lot more about this game after we play Tech. Until we see us against someone else, it's all speculation. I'll feel a lot better about TCU if we efficiently handle the Bulldogs, dominating in run blocking and holding off the rush so AA can run the offense. If we struggle, with a lot of three and outs and not getting our D off the field on third downs, it won't bode well going into Fort Worth. We have talent, depth, and experience along with a top-tier coaching staff. I think we'll play well against LTU and take care of the Frogs.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?